Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Horseback Riding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I've always liked horseback riding, not because of sexual overtones as some might suggest, but because I consider it an art of sorts (just think of Dressage for example). The mastery of controlling a powerful beast, combined with the art of riding and all it entails: balance, strength, and grace/elegance...it's attractive, and it's a discipline in itself to be able to do this.

I used to ride a lot, but not as much any more. I also think horses are extremely beautiful animals.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

An Artemis archetype? Aloof, Asocial, Affinity with animals...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't like domesticating animals.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Lyssa wrote:
An Artemis archetype? Aloof, Asocial, Affinity with animals...

I don't like domesticating animals.

Nice photo. I like Artemis too.
Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Horses are alright. I entirely miss the mystique. Usually girls growing up are obsessed with horses but not me. They're muscular, tough, and not that friendly if you ask me.

Cats take the cake for beauty (and sexuality). Try taming a wild cat and riding it...that would be spectacular.
Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 am

Since then, I only ride on wild mushrooms.

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 am

"We are not constant
We are an arrow in flight
The sum of the angles of change

Her face changed in the car
eyes & skin & hair remain
the same. But a hundred similar
girls succeed each other." [J.Morrison]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 am

Lieben wrote:
Cats take the cake for beauty (and sexuality). Try taming a wild cat and riding it...that would be spectacular.

Among the Germanics, this fits [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the fertility goddess who rides a chariot pulled by two giant cats.
This association with cats and sexuality goes farther. It has to do with harvest and ale:

"For thousands of years, beer making was the exclusive domain of women, until the age of Industrial Revolution (in the mid-19th century). Before this, women maintained power and status in male dominated societies through their skills as brewsters. In all ancient cultures, beer was believed to be a gift from a goddess - never a male god. Still surviving in the world's most remote places - Mongolia to the Amazon, from Africa to isolated Scandinavian villages - places where the long shadow of Budweiser does not fall.only women brew.
Zeroing in on the occupations of condemned women, I was stunned to discover that some 60 percent of those who had occupations referred to themselves as brewster, alewife, or midwife. Remember that our notion of "witch" came along simultaneously with 1. The rise and spread of the early Church; 2. The birth of commercial male-run breweries; and 3. The creation of guilds for physicians/surgeons.

In both Old Europe and in the New World, a woman with a surplus of beer found ready cash by selling ale to any thirsty passersby. To promote this source of income, women would place a broom in the road in front of their house. As villages turned into cities, women with a reputation for good beer permanently moved their brooms from the road to hang perpendicular over the door to their cottage. In time, houses became so crowded together, some enterprising brewster hung her broom - cantilevered - over the door - thus was born the first of all trade signs. The association of brooms with brewery is still seen from Africa to Peru, a lingering sign that beer making was a trade unique to women. Why the broom? By the 10th century, the ubiquitous broom had become the quintessential symbol of a woman's household.
Consider next the witch's hat, that tall-steepled black headgear every child associates with "witch". Our witch/midwife has her best days selling ales at fairs and festivals. These events - not entirely unlike our own county fairs and carnivals - drew the biggest, longest, free-spending thirsty audiences to the brewsters. Extending even to the weekly rural market days, people crowded into these events from all over the surrounding area. Amidst throngs of customers and vendors - alewives found the best way to sell was to be seen. Looking down an endless line of booths, a brewster was easy to find towering over everyone with her two to three foot high "witch" hat. By the 16th century the brewster's hat, along with her broomstick, became the hallmarks of her trade.

Every witch has a cat. It's an expected prerequisite to witch fashion. Why the cat? Anyone who has had stores of grain in the house will know. Rats! Rural women whose livelihood depended on the reputation of their ale protected their costly ingredients. Unlike today, cats were expected to feed themselves, guarding grain stores in the process. To the early Church, cats became the fabled "familiars": agents of the Devil, nourished on its owner's blood through a witch's teat - a hidden nipple bestowed by the Devil himself. Some historians (myself included) ascribe many European outbreaks of plague and other pandemics to the Church having killed off tens of thousands of cats. Seeing Puss as a diabolical agent of Satan, it's a miracle any of them survived.

"Midwives and nurses mediated the mysteries of birth, procreation, illness and death. They touched the untouchable, handled excrement and vomit as well as milk, swaddled the dead as well as the newborn. They brewed medicines from plants and roots, and presided over neighborhood gatherings of women."
- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
A Midwife's Tale (1990). ..." [From Ale Street News]

Back to top Go down
Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 pm

I absolutely luv horses! The most majestic animals...
Back to top Go down
Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:59 am

I really get a kick outta this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 am

hahaha! That's so mean and disrespectful...but still, kind of funny Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:10 am

The preference for horses has to do with the masculine idealization of its traits....the large penis, its docile yet strong physique, how it can carry a (wo)man, and be moved with a subtle nudge...

Females and effete men love horses...just as males prefer dogs and women prefer cats.
It gives you an insight into their psychology.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:14 am

Oh Satyr, that seems sort of uncouth, don't you think? lol
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 am

Oh Zara...how often you speak and say absolutely nothing.
You appear brilliant...but appearances are superficial.

Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 am

Satyr wrote:
Females and effete men love horses...just as males prefer dogs and women prefer cats.
It gives you an insight into their psychology.

I don't know how it would follow that females prefer cats over dogs.  Also depends on what kind of dog, since different breeds have entirely different uses.  

Generally it seems to me women are more interested in pets of any kind.  

If I had to choose between the average cat and the average dog, I'd go with a cat.  But the best dogs are of course better than any cat, for companionship, usefulness, etc.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:22 am

It follows from my experiences.
Most women prefer cats, and horses...and the more feminine they are the more they do so.

The stereotype of a spinster living in a house full of cats is not a stereotype for no reason at all. I work with a woman, who is getting up there in age, and has no children...and she's obsessed with cats.
Actually I work with three in the same situation.

Psychology determines your tastes.

Preferring chicken over fish is not accidental...you don't simply decide it one day. It is rooted in your organic, internal, hierarchies...organ weaknesses and strengths and how they relate.

Every detail about a person, what he likes and dislikes, what sexual activities he prefers, what fantasies he has, what dreams, say something about them...something he might not even know.

Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:26 am

That's true about the cat ladies....Forgot about those. One of my college professors was one. She was also a "lesbian."

Cold Weasel

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 am

I see horses and dogs as more similar than horses and cats. That's why I don't see the connection there, specifically.

What do you suppose it is about cats that women love, as opposed to dogs?

Is it the aloofness and relative wildness, as opposed to the pathetic, honest supplication of dogs?

Daemon
Satyr

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am

Cold Weasel wrote:
Aloof, self-centerdness.

Cold Weasel wrote:
Is it the aloofness and relative wildness, as opposed to the pathetic, honest supplication of dogs?  

Yes, dogs have an unquestioning loyalty once you've won them over, or they've trusted you, or they associate what they are with what you are.

Females like to keep their options open, and remain cynical towards all masculine idealism.

It's part of their reproductive strategy.
A woman who loves horses is usually governed by a sexual desire, a status image - hypergamy.
A cat is more esoteric, indicating a closing-off into herself.

Notice that in either case the desire to have a pet, a domesticated, safe animal, to take care of and be noticed by, indicates a social alienation - a disconnection from humanity, as it has become.
One's own species is alien to those who prefer pets, and keep them in urban environments are toys, as symbols, as distractions, and emotional carpets.

Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 11:51 am

At which point does the pet become the owner.

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Satyr wrote:
Cold Weasel wrote:
Aloof, self-centerdness.

Cold Weasel wrote:

Yes, dogs have an unquestioning loyalty once you've won them over, or they've trusted you, or they associate what they are with what you are.

Females like to keep their options open, and remain cynical towards all masculine idealism.

It's part of their reproductive strategy.
A woman who loves horses is usually governed by a sexual desire, a status image - hypergamy.
A cat is more esoteric, indicating a closing-off into herself.

Notice that in either case the desire to have a pet, a domesticated, safe animal, to take care of and be noticed by, indicates a social alienation - a disconnection from humanity, as it has become.
One's own species is alien to those who prefer pets, and keep them in urban environments are toys, as symbols, as distractions, and emotional carpets.

Satyr

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I am NOT governed by my sexual-desire. I have a family and kids, for crying out loud.
Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm

I hate horses.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:42 pm

There's also the woman that loves small dogs as a way to release her need to nurture without having children, dressing it up in outfits and showering it with a disturbing amount attention.

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm

perpetualburn wrote:
There's also the woman that loves small dogs as a way to release her need to nurture without having children, dressing it up in outfits and showering it with a disturbing amount attention.

Likewise, cats are fussy and love being pampered; owning one is a reverse projection, the desire to be.

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 pm

I have 3 cats Wink
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm allergic to cats... when I was a baby, we had a cat and it tried to smother/kill me in my crib, true story.

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 pm

It was just trying to cuddle with you. It'd eat you if you died though.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:28 pm

phoneutria wrote:
It was just trying to cuddle with you.

Are cats that oblivious to life?

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 2:14 pm

They like to sit close to your face when they can, where it's nice and warm. They never actually sit on your face though. Your parents probably just freaked out. I would, that's what parents do.
Cat was all like jeez... chill humans. I'll sit over there instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horseback Riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horseback Riding Horseback Riding Empty

Back to top Go down

Horseback Riding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next