Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Ressentiment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Ressentiment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 pm

LaughingMan wrote:
Leave it up to a woman to recite some bullshit out of Atlas Shrugged in her praise of the productive class.

I have news for you doll, if I can pull down the person above me on the ladder and kill them inheriting all of their possessions that would make me the more superior of the jungle.

John Galt can go fuck himself.

I'm not a Randian. The Master is not the productive class in the commercial sense, but the creative class in the spiritual sense.

Sweetie, you better learn to differentiate than do blunders like the one we all saw you do on ILP - equating plutocracy as noble elitism

lol! 

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 am

Lyssa wrote:
LaughingMan wrote:
Leave it up to a woman to recite some bullshit out of Atlas Shrugged in her praise of the productive class.

I have news for you doll, if I can pull down the person above me on the ladder and kill them inheriting all of their possessions that would make me the more superior of the jungle.

John Galt can go fuck himself.

I'm not a Randian. The Master is not the productive class in the commercial sense, but the creative class in the spiritual sense.

Sweetie, you better learn to differentiate than do blunders like the one we all saw you do on ILP - equating plutocracy as noble elitism

lol! 

The creative class? Explain what that means.

Noble elitism?

Usually when people describe themselves as being noble I know right away that they're full of shit.
Back to top Go down
Kovacs

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Ressentiment is one of a number of habits where one maintains a structured congnitive sequence - with thoughts, often images, and certainly feelings - in a precise order
to keep other emotions and thoughts from coming up.

One follows moments of anxiety around a slight by jumping to anger, justifying the anger with some not necessarily fully conscious 'argument' - this may be spot on or a mess of further delusions - often followed by mental images of the other person(s) downfall, admitting they are wrong, being passed by oneself and so on.

To keep other feelings and thoughts out the pattern is called upon when the person is triggered. And one can use this pattern to avoid certain specific feelings, often terror shame and guilt for yang people, and rage blame and aggression is yin people. One may also hide feelings about earlier targets, mom and dad, God, whatever.

Think of it as an internal beauracracy to control the inner mob.

Whole religions and philosophies are built up around these kinds of patterns.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Kristeva wrote:
"There looms, within abjection, one of those violent, dark re­volts of being, directed against a threat that seems to emanate from an exorbitant outside or inside, ejected beyond the scope of the possible, the tolerable, the thinkable. It lies there, quite close, but it cannot be assimilated. It beseeches, worries, and fascinates desire, which, nevertheless, does not let itself be se­duced. Apprehensive, desire turns aside; sickened, it rejects. A certainty protects it from the shameful - a certainty of which it is proud holds on to it. But simultaneously, just the same, that impetus, that spasm, that leap is drawn toward an elsewhere as tempting as it is condemned.

A weight of meaninglessness, about which there is noth­ing insignificant, and which crushes me. On the edge of non­-existence and hallucination, of a reality that, if I acknowledge it, annihilates me. There, abject and abjection are my safe­ guards. The primers of my culture.

Loathing an item of food, a piece of filth, waste, or dung. The spasms and vomiting that protect me. The repugnance, the retching that thrusts me to the side and turns me away from defilement, sewage, and muck. The shame of compromise, of being in the middle of treachery. The fascinated start that leads me toward and separates me from them.

A wound with blood and pus, or the sickly, acrid smell of sweat, of decay, does not signify death. No, as in true theater, without makeup or masks, refuse and corpses show me what I perma­ nently thrust aside in order to live. These body fluids, this defilement, this shit are what life withstands, hardly and with difficulty, on the part of death. There, I am at the border of my condition as a living being. My body extricates itself, as being alive, from that border. Such wastes drop so that I might live, until, from loss to loss, nothing remains in me and my entire body falls beyond the limit-cadere, cadaver. If dung signifies the other side of the border, the place where I am not and which permits me to be, the corpse, the most sickening of wastes, is a border that has encroached upon everything. It is no longer I who expel, "I" is expelled. The border has become an object.

It is thus not lack ofcleanliness or health that causes abjection but what disturbs identity, system, order. What does not respect borders, positions, rules. The in-between, the ambiguous, the composite. The traitor, the liar, the criminal with a good con­ science, the shameless rapist, the killer who claims he is a savior. . . . Any crime, because it draws attention to the frag­ility ofthe law, is abject, but premeditated crime, cunning mur­ der, hypocritical revenge are even more so because they heighten the display of such fragility. He who denies morality is not abject; there can be grandeur in amorality and even in crime that flaunts its disrespect for the law-rebellious, liber­ating, and suicidal crime. Abjection, on the other hand, is im­ moral, sinister, scheming, and shady: a terror that dissembles, a hatred that smiles, a passion that uses the body for barter instead of inflaming it, a debtor who sells you up, a friend who stabs you.'..." [Abjection]
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Kristeva wrote:
"The one by whom the abject exists is thus a deject who places (himselt), separates (himselt), situates (himselt), and therefore strays instead of getting his bearings, desiring, belonging, or refusing. Situationist in a sense, and not without laughter­ since laughing is a way of placing or displacing abjection.

Nec­essarily dichotomous, somewhat Manichaean, he divides, excludes, and without, properly speaking, wishing to know his I abjections is not at all unaware of them. Often, moreover, he includes himself among them, thus casting within himself the scalpel that carries out his separations.

Instead of sounding himself as to his "being," he does so concerning his place: "Where am I?" instead of" Who am I?" For the space that engrosses the deject, the excluded, is never one, nor homogeneous, nor totalizable, but essentially divisible, fold­ able, and catastrophic.

A deviser of territories, languages, works, the deject never stops demarcating his universe whose fluid confines -for they are constituted of a non-object, the abject-constantly question his solidity and impel him to start (afresh. A tireless builder, the deject is in short a stray. He is on a journey, during the night, the end of which keeps receding. He has a sense of the danger, of the loss that the pseudo-object' attracting him represents for him, but he cannot help taking the risk at the very moment he sets himself apart. And the more he strays, the more he is saved." [Abjection]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Nietzche wrote:
"To be incapable of taking one's enemies, one's accidents, even one's misdeeds seriously for very long—that is the sign of strong, full natures in whom there is an excess of the power to form, to mold, to recuperate and to forget (a good example of this in modem times is Mirabeau, who had no memory for insults and vile actions done him and was unable to forgive simply because he—forgot). Such a man shakes off with a single shrug many vermin that eat deep into others; here alone genuine 'love of one's enemies' is possible—supposing it to be possible at all on earth. How much reverence has a noble man for his enemies!—and such reverence is a bridge to love.—For he desires his enemy for himself, as his mark of distinction; he can endure no other enemy than one in whom there is nothing to despise and very much to honor! In contrast to this, picture 'the enemy' as the man of ressentiment conceives him—and here precisely is his deed, his creation: he has conceived 'the evil enemy,' 'the Evil One,' and this in fact is his basic concept, from which he then evolves, as an afterthought and pendant, a 'good one'—himself!” [GM; EH]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Who we value as enemy or not, and how we value them - by knowing them, or worshipping them in our ressentimental obsession, shaming them, destroying out of envy, reducing them to our comfortable familiar category, or daring oneself,, and where and when to combat and vanquish, or to merely subjugate to climb atop of them, or where we mould and raise to be raised... in short, our conduct, reveals the elasticity and prudence of our form, the dynamism of our goal, and the liveliness of our character.

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 3:48 am

Friedrich Nietzsche, On The Genealogy of Morality wrote:
(T)he problem with the other origin of the “good,” of the good man, as the person of ressentiment has thought it out for himself, demands some conclusion. It is not surprising that the lambs should bear a grudge against the great birds of prey, but that is no reason for blaming the great birds of prey for taking the little lambs. And when the lambs say among themselves, "These birds of prey are evil, and he who least resembles a bird of prey, who is rather its opposite, a lamb,—should he not be good?" then there is nothing to carp with in this ideal's establishment, though the birds of prey may regard it a little mockingly, and maybe say to themselves, "We bear no grudge against them, these good lambs, we even love them: nothing is tastier than a tender lamb."

The extreme right is just like the extreme left says the self-proclaimed reasonable centrist.
The patriarchy in the West is just like Islam...

People who say that would say anything to 'win' the argument but the very fact that they use this line of thinking betrays their ressentiment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ressentiment Ressentiment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ressentiment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: