Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anfang

Anfang

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 Empty
PostSubject: The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Lead actors - Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.

Thomas Crown, a wealthy businessman, arranges a robbery of a Boston bank. He organizes the crime with indirect methods, via telephones and remains a mystery to his assembled crew of five criminals. The members themselves also only know the details on a need to know basis and meet each other within the bank during the robbery for the first time and won't see each other never again afterwards.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 110

Bright spotlights targeted at his potential crew during the recruiting process keeps Crown's identity a secret. He remains in the shadows.
"(Crown) - No questions! What you don't know can't hurt you. … You, or me."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 210

The robbers meet at the bank for the first time. Everyone knows their part and they are successful. The money is put into a station wagon and is deposited in a cemetery by the designated driver.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 310
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3a10

Mr. Crown is very much in control of his environment. As a boss, he's hierarchical with clear rules and a direct, yet friendly manner. His employees do respect him but are not in fear of him. Towards the competition he's sly and calculated.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 410

Crown arrives at the cemetery with his Royce, he brings a bouquet and collects the money. A lot of smaller bills, unmarked, over 2 million Dollars in total.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 510

The Boston police department which is in charge of solving the crime. Not a very charismatic bunch at first glance. Detective Eddy Malone is in charge of the investigation and they've got nothing so far.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 610
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 6a10

Meanwhile we learn more about the man who is prepared to gamble and throw away all his possessions and freedom for a bank robbery. He shows a combination of strong ego and amusement over himself.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 710
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 7a10

He's joyous. Much more joyous about himself getting away with the crime, so far, than about hedonistic pleasures. Still, he arranges a date with his mistress.
"(Mistress) - Hello?
-9 o'clock. It's either the Ritz upstairs or Joseph's.
-Joseph's. I'm starved.  
-So am I… "

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 810

At the same time, our detective is dealing with the press, trying to be as boring as possible - probably in an attempt to bore the journalists into submission. He's the well adjusted, average man.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 910

Where to with the money? Thomas Crown hops on a plane to Switzerland. Bringing as much of the money as he can in his personal luggage. Apparently the Suisse are known for never checking personal luggage on planes and to be very discreet about it anyway. Note to myself - Sunglasses keep a man unsuspicious during a passport check.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1010

"(Banker) - ….What name?
-Code name and a number.
-And what address?
-No address.
-But eh.. we do not know you.
-But you will do it.  …. There will be further deposits. In cash, also. You see, we are both in the same business (smiles)."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1110

The police and the bank's insurance company are still in the dark. Time for Vicki Anderson to fly in. An insurance investigator. She's well dressed with a posh demeanor. As it turns out, she's very intelligent too, especially the feminine kind of intelligence.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1210

Detective Eddy Malone (the hat on the right) has a big grin on his face the first time he spots her at the airport but she ignores him completely during the introduction and strolls off with the insurance company agent. He doesn't look amused about that that incident. Vicki to Malone after giving her and the other agent an insincere compliment, in a calculated non-irritated voice - "How tactful you are."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1310
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 13a10
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 13b10

Time for some gliding…
"(Mistress) - What do You have to worry about?!?
-…Who I wanna be tomorrow."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1410

With the help of Vicki, the police are starting to come up with some ideas.
They are looking for the money now. Because of her psychological insights* and the nature of the crime and how it was orchestrated they start to look into the business world and specifically, people who recently made trips to Switzerland and other countries where one can hide that kind of money.
*To get on with the plot

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1510

"(Vicki) - Let's advertise. Be a thief for 25.000 Dollars…"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1610

"(Vicki) - Nice…mhmm.. "
"(Malone reads) - Thomas Crown, he was at the robbed bank six months ago. Real estate, currency trading, graduated from Harvard Business Administration, Socially acceptable and plenty of money, two trips to Geneva in May…
4 million Dollars, 36, divorced, she kept the children… He sounds just perfect for you."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1710

Let's take some pictures. That's how you get his attention… "Eddy, I know he's our man. I know it, I feel it…"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1810

She doesn't approach her man directly. She does all in her power to get his attention indirectly but he must make the first move.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 1910

"(Crown) - So, who's head are you after?
-Yours.
-Mine?!?
-…Yours.
-(laughs a bit nervous yet also joyous)"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2010

Time for a dinner for two.
"(Crown) - Always get your man?
-Of course.
-Think you'll get me?
-… I hope so…."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2110

In the meantime, they now have a lead on the station wagon driver, Ernie. Their advertising worked quite well. Since the insurance company is involved, their methods are now not always legal (stealing the car in question, kidnapping his child and blackmailing). It's the results which matter to them.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2210

At the same time, Mr. Crown wants to liquidate his assets. He wants to "increase his mobility"…He's preparing for his departure, in one way or the other.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2310

They now have a little talk with the driver. They want to get evidence about Crown's involvement through him. … But he can't tell them much. After all, he only knows what he needed to know.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2410

Malone gets upset about his involvement with these methods and most importantly, it's because they still didn't get Crown.
"(Vicki) - Alright, Eddie! I'm immoral - So is the world. And I'm here for the money. Okay?!?"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2510

Let's invite Mr. Crown to the police station. Maybe the driver (sitting on the bench) can identify him. ….Alas, it didn't work….

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2610

At the elevator, Vicki catches up with Mr. Crown, after their plot to confront him with the driver.
"(Vicki) - Like ice."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2710

On their way to his "big, empty, no wife, no mother" city house. He tells her about his beach house too - His special place.
"(Crown) - But you know all about that, don't you?…"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2810

Vicki about the house -
"-You do live… very well. Don't you?
-No complaints.
-…It would be a shame to have to give all this up…Wouldn't it?
-…."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 2910

Playing some chess afterwards.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3010

"(Crown) - Let's play something else…"
It must have left an impression. A millionaire, charming, a sense of danger….

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3110

…and judging by her excellent mood the next morning, at the police station, it wasn't bad on a physical level either. But  No - Vicki is a dedicated woman. She wants to get him in the 'lawful' sense too… Time to entice Thomas Crown and weaken his defenses. Having some romance and make him buckle is the name of the game…

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3210
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 32a10

That engine sound!

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3310

Picturesque lantern…

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3410

And a detective who is starting to feel jealous and finds that Vicki is enjoying herself too much.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3510

Happy Birthday! You jealous fool.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3610

Time to make Vicki jealous by having dinner with the mistress….

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3710

Detective Malone enjoys bringing her the bad news about the other woman in Crown's life.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3810

That ploy to make her jealous seems to work. For the first time she's not just playing a well thought out, well controlled game of cat and mouse…

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 3910

They are at his special place. The beach-house, the buggy, Crown and Vicki. It never got finished…

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4010

"(Vicki) - Tommy?..
-Mhm..
-….Did you ever bring…. anyone else here?
-My wife. She didn't like the sand.
-I didn't mean her..
-…Hey, listen, She was just a way of putting you in touch with yourself.
-…….
-I have never brought anyone here before."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4110

Some good times at a local market.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4210

Remembering the past…
This is not a scene to advance the plot…

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4310

Vicki doesn't understand Crown. She does not understand his motivations. When she argues that he'll never be able to spend any of that stolen money he replies -
"I've got all that I need."
She wants him to make a deal. She wants to re-unite him, what he is now, with the society which he has turned on.
He tells her to call her man at the police. But the answer she gets is  -
"(Malone) - No deals!"

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4410

"(Crown) - Don't you see, there is no way out. You've done too good a job, Vicki…I'm all hung up."

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4510

Time to think about what to do next.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4610

"(Crown) - I did it once…. I can do it again.
-You'r joking.
-Why, it's not funny.
-You'r crazy. It can't be done.
-Why not?
-We just can't…
-Can't huh? It's not the only bank. You've got Ernie and there are four more… How do you know there is only five? (chuckles)
-Why? What would it prove? Darling? You don't need the money.
-It's not the money… It's not the money. It's me. It's me and the system. The system.
-What about me? I just sit here? Do nothing?
-That's it. … You let me try. … (starts slowly and begins to laugh out loud)
-(she laughs quietly, with a sad note, with him too)
-It's my funeral. You are just along for the ride. (kisses her and gets up)

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4710

Meanwhile, the police is putting pressure on Vicki to get some incriminating information out of him.

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 4810
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 48a10
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 48b10
The Thomas Crown Affair - 1968 48c10

"(Crown, preparing some lobster at the fire) - Mhmm, almost done. They gonna be great!
-What is this? The last supper?
-… It's tomorrow…
-…Where?!?
-…I'll tell you where the pick up is. And you can meet me there. When it's over. Okay?
-Tommy, Tommy… You can't…
-Moral support. That's what I need. Moral support.
-Tommy… Don't test me. Not this way. Not if you love me.
-I've gotta know where you're at, Vicki. Time is running out… I've gotta know you are on my side.
-(gets tears in her eyes)
-No tears. Not for us! We are a pair, you and me.
-(bursts out half a chuckle between her tears)
-Smile. … Try.

….
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1