Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 pm

So sweet of you to aspire to such an amazing technological future, and yet to be stuck on such primitive concepts as a political left and right.
Mind you, it is this same political system which insists in cutting research funding, and funneling into fighting wars.

Alas, since we can't all agree on our common goals, let us hope that private funds have goals similar to yours, and lets us hope that we can pick up the crumbs they they drop.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Recidivist wrote:
Come on my dear, if nukes didn't exist you be claiming that conventional war is a global threat, or that we're all going to be wiped out by some vengeful god. Liberal pussies have been talking this shit since the dawn of time.

You were just talking about traversing the galaxy and colonizing other planets, hypocrite.

Which is a more immediate threat: nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists, or a cosmic gamma ray exploding the earth (or whatever the fuck you were talking about)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 pm

seems to believe that the existence of a theoretic solution to a threat equals certain salvation

in reality, bickering about left and right will have us all killed way before we can even try out any of these theories
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm

phono wrote:
So sweet of you to aspire to such an amazing technological future, and yet to be stuck on such primitive concepts as a political left and right.

You underestimate the size of the 'in-group' I am talking about.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 am

Mo wrote:
You were just talking about traversing the galaxy and colonizing other planets, hypocrite.

Look up the meaning of hypocrisy, and learn.

Quote :
Which is a more immediate threat: nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists, or a cosmic gamma ray exploding the earth (or whatever the fuck you were talking about)?

As I already explained to you, nuclear weapons don't constitute a global threat. Not even remotely.

phoneutria wrote:
seems to believe that the existence of a theoretic solution to a threat equals certain salvation
Conversely, seems to think the existence of a threat equals certain death.

Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 am

There Will Be Blood wrote:
That's really, really, really not what I meant.

Then what did you mean when you said, "war is the father of all...and this monster exists within you"? I only took that to mean that humans have destructive impulses, and that these can be turned inward.

If you are going to say something novel, then get used to people misunderstanding you. It'll be common. That's not an apology though, I still think you could be clearer than you are.

Quote :
Still building this caricature out of others in order to first and foremost explain things.

You are speaking bullshit now. I don't caricature people. And what I thought you said above is something I would have agreed with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Is intelligence a good evolutionary strategy? Absolutely.
Should we actively breed it? Absolutely not.

We do not select. Nature does. Our job is to iterate.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:11 pm

phoneutria wrote:

I don't recall anyone advocating a eugenics program on this forum.

Since I've only ever argued that nature is indeed selecting more intelligent organisms, the evidence of this being how they are thriving, you now seem to be agreeing with this.

Or is this a case of your trolling backfiring?

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:18 pm

The feminist outlook in a nutshell -

Miserable sluts living in mud huts, that's how we roll.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:23 pm

phoneutria wrote:

Self-consciousness is nature directing itself.

What is the point of intelligence if you are not going to use it when choosing your partner?

Last edited by Mo on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 pm

phoneutria wrote:

Are manmade environments natural ones?

Artificial/Natural, in the context of genes/memes, are defined [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Social eugenics are in practice.

Good luck with the rest.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Recidivist wrote:
phoneutria wrote:

I don't recall anyone advocating a eugenics program on this forum.

Since I've only ever argued that nature is indeed selecting more intelligent organisms, the evidence of this being how they are thriving, you now seem to be agreeing with this.

Or is this a case of your trolling backfiring?

I have no issue with this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Mo wrote:
phoneutria wrote:

Self-consciousness is nature directing itself.

What is the point of intelligence if you are not going to use it when choosing your partner?

By "we do not select", I mean that we do not decide what attributes get passed along. Nature does.
We present our iterations to Nature.
Being criterious when it comes to selecting a mate is a pretty widespread behavior among females. Some like long feathers, some like intelligence, some like V8 engines.
It should not concern us for the future of mankind if women give up their uterus based on how loud a machine can rev.
Nature will take care of all that.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm

phoneutria wrote:
By "we do not select", I mean that we do not decide what attributes get passed along. Nature does.
We present our iterations to Nature.
Being criterious when it comes to selecting a mate is a pretty widespread behavior among females. Some like long feathers, some like intelligence, some like V8 engines.
It should not concern us for the future of mankind if women give up their uterus based on how loud a machine can rev.
Nature will take care of all that.

It won't go well for someone who burdens themselves with worries like that. But from the tops of our heads, more loud engines means more noise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 pm

phoneutria wrote:

Don't or can't? If we don't then so what, one can start, yes? If you mean we can't, then you're wrong, as otherwise breeding for any particular characteristics wouldn't be possible, which is obviously not the reality. Patterns in anatomy as well as behavior / psychology (which encompasses everything) are readily observable / deducible, so no, nature doesn't necessarily determine these things, i.e. it's not necessarily "random". It's only random to unthinking simpletons and those who are incapable of perceiving such patterns...

Also nature doesn't "decide" anything, it just does.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Intelligence is not a teleos for nature....it is a means to an end.

The environment determines how much intelligence and what kind of intelligence, will pas on its genes.
In Nihilistic ones, in modern ones....it is a form of autism.

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 am

Quote :
You are speaking bullshit now. I don't caricature people. And what I thought you said above is something I would have agreed with.

Perhaps too harsh, but you did not bother to even guess as I assumed.

Choose either side and in percise detail explain why. If then, no matter what side, you will have gained my respect. There are no middle grounds in this subject. Though I still maintain great appreciation for certain members within both.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 2:43 am

Choose either side and in percise detail explain why. If then, no matter what side, you will have gained my respect. There are no middle grounds in this subject. Though I still maintain great appreciation for certain members within both.

I'm on Nietzsche's side.
- I like his conception of 'truth'.
- I think the idea of an eternal recurrence provides a good guide to life, if not a cosmology.
- In general, I think we should be focused on this-worldly things, not other-wordly.
- I think there's truth, descriptively, to his account of how values are forged.

But most of all (and this is why you risk making a caricature out of yourself), I like his ability to notice subtlety, and similar influences affecting even diverse phenomena, and diverse phenomena affecting similar influences. Conceptually, you might be able to carve up the world into polar opposite categories... but in reality, things are the shade of grey that you get when you mix small elements of black and white...

Why do you think Nietzsche describes his Ubermensch as a "Caesar with the soul of Christ"?
Notice any similarities between an Eternal Recurrence model of the universe, and a Buddhist one?
Why did he say that Jesus had attributes of nobility?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 3:54 am

Quote :
I'm on Nietzsche's side.
- I like his conception of 'truth'.
- I think the idea of an eternal recurrence provides a good guide to life, if not a cosmology.
- In general, I think we should be focused on this-worldly things, not other-wordly.
- I think there's truth, descriptively, to his account of how values are forged.

That was kind of dishonest. Obviously Nietzsche would have had a more coherent view of every single minutia; I added the Napleon video to further signify this. I was speaking in regards to an overall Telos.

Quote :
and this is why you are full of shit and making a caricature out of yourself

As if that's not some kind caricature-ization ironicaly. Personally I'm extremely honest if you would just trust me on that.

See we have different conceptualizations on it all, so it's hard to find equal footing.

This is one of the greatest Christian movies ever made. I wont lie that I don't find it very soothing, appealing, etc. Just take that scene.

Then take the greatest Christian movie ever produced: The last Temptation of Christ. Pretty much because Martin Scorsese always had Nietzsche on his mind making his movies; that one being a kind of direct response. Nietzsche and Jesus having almost identical starting points in the context of the movie, with differing  solutions, conclusions, etc. If you've seen it you know what I mean. But I think you can understand the point even if you haven't.

Quote :
Conceptually, you might be able to carve up the world into polar opposite categories... but in reality, things are the shade of grey that you get when you mix small elements of black and white...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Universe as an eternal struggle between dynastic polar opposites. Infininte varieties of Ying & Yang. Within every single object, one always having the domination over the over.

Just answer the Telos part in great detail. Which side?
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 am

Just answer the Telos part in great detail. Which side?

As I said, I favour a this-wordly focus, not an other-worldly one. That tells you which side I'm on. I do not locate my telos by the light of some starry dynamo in the machinery of night. Not god's grace. Nor a noumenal realm. Not salvation. Nor cessation of anything. Whether God exists or not, I certainly don't care, and it has zero impact on how I will live. (Have you heard of the Euthyphro Dilemma? I'm clearly on one side of it).

So, as for a 'this-wordly' telos... is Nietzsche any help? Nietzsche calls the Ubermensch "the meaning of the earth". --The problem is that he says practically nothing about what an Ubermensch actually is. It's supposed to be a synthesis of master and slave qualities. The psychological complexity of a slave. The nobility of a master. Not much substantially beyond that is written.

I don't even think Nietzsche himself knew what an Ubermensch actually was. Shortly before his mind started to break, he called himself a nihilist... and I think he was right. Power is not a telos. The Ubermensch is vague. Revaluing values only begs the question. The repetition of Eternal Recurrence doesn't help. Any other ideas?

So, onward. You repay a teacher badly if you remain only a student, right? ...But you know where I look, and what side I'm on...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 4:31 am

Okay. Like in the Napolean video questioned though. War or Peace? Always diverge from what's actually being said. Additionally this is the second time you've re-edited idiocy because I seemingly humiliated you through it.

Last edited by There Will Be Blood on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 am

Okay. Like in the Napolean video questioned though. War or Peace? Always diverge from what's actually being said.

None of those videos are good.

It's not an either-or, as I'm trying to tell you. Buddha was conquering himself; Napoleon other people. Liberty, equality, fraternity are peaceful ideas... the 4 Noble Truths are not.

Shades of grey, everywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 am

One urge has to dominate over the other, there is no middle ground. Personally I usually like men with an essence of war, and women with an essence of peace. So, if you had to choose one? I'm absolutley sure of the real answer, your reluctance to speak clearly on it reveals your true nature.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Lamb
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 am

If you fight for peace, which urge is dominating?

If in peace you declare war on yourself, which urge?

I do both. You tell me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 5:32 am

The thing is its all self-explanatory; furtherance is just an insult.

If you don't come in accordance with own nature, then resentful attitudes are harboured in that of others, originating in that of your own.

Less appreciation of it all as seen in this outburst:
Quote :
If someone were to tell me about a death drive in humans, a destructive, war-like need to do violence, either on others, or when your instincts turn on yourself.....

I would not expect them also to claim that intelligence was always a good thing, by default.

.....Guess what happens when you are destructive, but have no one to play with except yourself?

I know where I stand. Goal in never wishing for that earlier involvement.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 4:36 pm

fifi wrote:

Sorry chap, you gots ta take the good with the bad on this one.

... HOWEVER... It turns out that if you try times enough, you can spin that cosmic roulette and get something pretty amazing. A purely recessive, highly fit... beautiful, strong, smart, blonde lil sexy devil.
Why shouldn't we just keep making those?! Let's get rid of all the other ones. This is evolution here, folks! Sparkling new and improved Mankind 2.0!

Have you suffered discrimination for not being blond?

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Mo wrote:

Apaosha wrote:
I want to replicate what I am, myself. My children would be a reflection of that.

Then fuck your sister. That's the closest you can get, right?

vs.

Mo wrote:

The only way to benefit a person is to expose a flaw in their thinking.

Recognize, a hypocrite is one who cannot apply his own reasonings to himself. Instead of exposing flaws, you use flagrant hyperbole to overwhelm an answer, and then complain, he doesn't respond.

You say,
Mo wrote:
When I ask apaosha what he values, his response is that he values himself and his genetic heritage. ---And that’s a fine answer, as far as it goes. But when you ask him what valuable qualities he finds embodied in himself and his past, he won't say; his only response is, "It's personal". People proud of themselves and their past have spent time reflecting on the values embodied in their past, and they are not afraid to stand by those in conversation with others.

What is the point of creating a public forum named "Know Thyself", when he thinks knowing yourself is only a personal project?

Pride in one's ancestry simply for being born, simply for existing, being alive, is not a value in itself?

And then you argue, about Loving your child no matter how it turns out should you have fallen in love with any third-rate creature which may possess whatever other qualities.

Do you see your contra-diction?

This, is called exposing a flaw.
"Hope I've benefitted you..."

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Lyssa wrote:

Recognize, a hypocrite is one who cannot apply his own reasonings to himself. Instead of exposing flaws, you use flagrant hyperbole to overwhelm an answer, and then complain, he doesn't respond.

Doesn't the hyperbole here expose the flaw?
What would limit apaosha from engaging in this hyperbole, given his objective, and if nothing else is at play?

Quote :

Pride in one's ancestry simply for being born, simply for existing, being alive, is not a value in itself?

And then you argue, about Loving your child no matter how it turns out should you have fallen in love with any third-rate creature which may possess whatever other qualities.

Do you see your contra-diction?

This, is called exposing a flaw.
"Hope I've benefitted you..."

I do think he called it "... a fine answer, as far as it goes", so where is the contra... diction, more specifically?
Seems like he just wanted a lil more detail... all very vanilla.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Lyssa wrote:

You should have witnessed the specimen's performance in the ChatBox.

He, Moo, indulged in a childish game of infinite regress of "why?", masking as the Socratic method...and then, again as a child would, gave the only answer he could imagine would stop it: "Just Because".
Plato would be proud.
It's as far as he could go.
Very philosophical.
The "Last Man" on display...the end of thinking.

Phonee, began with the easy insinuation that her words hid a secret depth, some wealth we had to uncover - very feminine - and then, when she posted more than one sentence, she concluded in "spontaneous" appreciation of aesthetics...and the assumption of human freedom.
Now she tries to insinuate that "spontaneous" means more than it does...like Moo insinuates that the "just because" is an allusion to wisdom.  
All very Christian, including the passion of blind hedonism...the "I am not thinking, but enjoying" surrender to sensation.  

Too bad you weren't there to see it.
I erased it...it insulted my aesthetics.
Not for any other reason other than that both began with so much inflated promise, and then settled on what was most intimate to them, a flatulent release.

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 6:50 pm

We will have the old man understand the meaning of the word spontaneous by the end of this week.
We shall dunk his spongy grey matter in a pool of the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chatbox Trivialities - Race, Evolution and Aesthetics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next