Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Influence of Media

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Influence of Media  Empty
PostSubject: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyThu May 29, 2014 9:20 pm

A point which I'm trying to get my head around, wondering if anyone has any Psychological/Psychoanalytic evidence for either way: does media influence lead to increase action or increased apathy?

Let me explain the reasons for both and hence my confusion; when consumers see something in the media (especially movies/video games)- take 'V for Vendetta' as an example- are they inspired to action (in this case revved up to be more revolutionary)? Or does the media platform act as a displacement for natural instincts (e.g. to go to war in 'Total War: Rome') and therefore lead to increased apathy?

Zizek seems to think the latter though I'm not so sure. Perhaps it depends on the individual and the media platform?

I think this idea of over-consumption and saturation in media, leading to apathy, goes hand-in-hand with the ideas expressed in Satyr's thoughts on gluttony, particularly in the monogamy thread.
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyThu May 29, 2014 11:16 pm

I think sheltering environments are responsible for most of the pacifism present in modernity, especially if said environments are particularly reinforcing of certain docile behavior which they are.

Media outlets influence instincts only on a very rudimentary level. Once conflict is absent, it must be simulated behind a mimetic pretense which not only compensates for the lack of intrinsic struggle, but adds to it the subliminal edge needed to keep urges and instincts stimulated. "The medium is the message", as McLuhan says, because now survival has become a matter of making sense of what controls it, which is now the globalized transmission of information and communication at various nodal points.

It's simple to immerse oneself in the imagery of struggle or conflict, once the consequences and the costs have been eliminated such as in video games, or reduced to triviality such as on the news. It isn't that conflict is no longer part of the environment, but that it has become idealized making it a romance of human nature.
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm

These contrived pop-media setups are embarrassingly stupid, attempting to "uncover" racism, bigotry, and "haters".
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Influence of Media  Psycho10
(Originally from the mpcdot.com forum)
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 12:02 pm

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 10:50 am

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 4:29 pm

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 1:51 pm

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 5:20 pm

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Influence of Media Influence of Media  Empty

Back to top Go down

Influence of Media
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1