Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Ego Death - Epiphanies.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 7:25 am

Stuart. wrote:
Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
Another somewhat personal topic, so be forewarned...

Ego death?

From brutal selfishness to Xt. altruism?

And Nietzsche said,

"Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions."

How true.

Is there anyway to avoid the pendulum swinging from end to end a few times before it settles? (Asking in sincerity.)

Heraclitus, (esoteric)Socrates, Nietzsche, Blake all said, the road to excess is the palace of wisdom.

There is a difference between swinging the pendulum to extremes, and letting the pendulum swing you to extremes.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 8:14 am

Æon wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
Not sure where this going, but I will continue with it.

Monkeys are a different form of primate. Their anatomical structure and consciousness are distinct from that of the human. Simple.
Incorrect, the monkey has a similar anatomy to the human in that both have two arms, legs, hands, feet, one body, torso, neck, head, etc.  One of the primary differences between monkey and man is walking upright.  Another primary difference is body hair.

You mention that consciousness is "different" between monkey and man, how?  And this is "simple"?

If it's simple, then it should be easy to explain.  How is human and monkey consciousness different?

Monkeys are conscious, but not self-conscious like Humans. I say this is simple because we both already know that there is a difference between monkeys and Humans, and we both know, essentially, what makes us different.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 am

Apes are self-conscious, dude.

Humans and apes are different in degreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Just as human from human differ in level of self-awareness, and intelligence, and imagination, so too does the average chimpanzee, or gorilla, or bonobo, or orangutan, differ from the average human in degree of potential.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am

Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
What is this love then? I suppose it's just a natural overflowing of good intentions.

What prompts this "natural overflow"? Why does it occur, and when?

Does this natural overflow by chance, occur, Naturally? Like "Just because"?

Quote :
What do you think?

I think I'll save my energy since in two months, you will change your position, Again, no?

Maybe you will declare Schmoe your Christ and Saviour... I only wonder if "eulogy" here gave you His permission to do that?

I also wonder, if there's been an ego-death, who is the one talking from your head?

All PeopleS?

I'm not sure, exactly, why I am like this...I need to do more contemplation on that one, I suppose.

Of course I know what OM means, Silly. It is the sound of the Universe. You, probably, know more about it than me as you are located in India.

What enslaving altruism have I sold myself to? I'm not a Christian nor a Buddhist nor of any religious order. I want to be a humanitarian because it arises from within not from without, that is to say, because of some moral obligation from God or ideology.

Perpetual thinks I sound ridiculous because I want to help out orphaned kids that lost their parents in war, and you think I've gone off the deep end into slavish altruism.... scratch Question
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 am

It's natural that when one is faced with a life-threatening circumstance that one would want to feel gratitude towards what helped him deal with it.

That aside, the idea that you know yourself better than another, is blatantly false.
The example I give is an extreme one, used to demonstrate my point using hyperbole so as to clarify it.

An ape knows itself , of itself, less than a human who studies apes, does.
If being born as self were enough to deal with identity, or self-knowledge, then there would be no need for the Know Thyself command, and it would be valueless.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 am

Primal Rage wrote:
Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
What is this love then? I suppose it's just a natural overflowing of good intentions.

Quote :
What do you think?

I think I'll save my energy since in two months, you will change your position, Again, no?

Maybe you will declare Schmoe your Christ and Saviour... I only wonder if "eulogy" here gave you His permission to do that?

I also wonder, if there's been an ego-death, who is the one talking from your head?

All PeopleS?

I'm not sure, exactly, why I am like this...I need to do more contemplation on that one, I suppose.

Yea, you do that.

And after months of listening to Satyr's videos on Humanitarianism, of whatever stripe, come here justifying it like you never learnt a thing. Who cares?

Quote :
Of course I know what OM means, Silly. It is the sound of the Universe. You, probably, know more about it than me as you are located in India.

Silly. As if Shankara had the best knowledge of the Vedic ethos just because he was in india... brilliant logic.

And oh, you can continue to obssess and fish for my location and I will tell you again the same thing I have told you before, you are free to imagine howevet you want me,,, since there is that little software thing called "TOR" and I can be anywhere I want to be...

get it retard?

Ta...

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 am

Primal wrote:
Am I a secular-humanist? No, I don't think so. I still feel morality, ' good and evil ' are contrived. But I'm going to be more of a conventionally so called " good person " because it's what my heart genuinely desires.

Your heart desires to help people you haven't even met, that you don't know anything about on a personal level? This sounds quite sentimental and sentimentality happens when the heart is silent and emotions are, for some reason, not felt.

Could be emotional exhaustion for example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 am

Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:

Quote :
What do you think?

All PeopleS?

Yea, you do that.

And after months of listening to Satyr's videos on Humanitarianism, of whatever stripe, come here justifying it like you never learnt a thing. Who cares?

Quote :

Silly. As if Shankara had the best knowledge of the Vedic ethos just because he was in india... brilliant logic.

And oh, you can continue to obssess and fish for my location and I will tell you again the same thing I have told you before, you are free to imagine howevet you want me,,, since there is that little software thing called "TOR" and I can be anywhere I want to be...

get it retard?

Ta...

No, I don't (fore)see myself changing my views in the coming months. And I don't recall Satyr mentioning anything about regular humanitarianism. Yes, he did talk about secular-humanism often, but, of course, humanitarianism and secular-humanism are not the same thing.

In regards to the India thing, I thought it was already well established that you are a resident of India...I believe Satyr and Apaosha both confirmed that in the Chatbox sometime ago. And is it not logical that one would probably have more knowledge about a given subject if one grew up in the place it originated? Seems logical to me.

And it appears that you get overly-defensive when one mentions something personal about you which, to me, indicates an insecurity of sorts.

Last edited by Primal Rage on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:26 am

Anfang wrote:
Primal wrote:
Am I a secular-humanist? No, I don't think so. I still feel morality, ' good and evil ' are contrived. But I'm going to be more of a conventionally so called " good person " because it's what my heart genuinely desires.

Your heart desires to help people you haven't even met, that you don't know anything about on a personal level? This sounds quite sentimental and sentimentality happens when the heart is silent and emotions are, for some reason, not felt.

Could be emotional exhaustion for example.

I want to help people that have been through traumatic experiences, in particular, children who are orphaned due to losing their parents in war. I want to help those that need help - not just any person. I empathize with them.

Before I had my change of mind, I was suppressing my empathy/compassion in the attempt to become more ruthless, more tyrannical. But I realized the foolishness of my ways, and now am becoming more balanced and in tune with my nature.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:51 am

A sentimental person thinks he's feeling.
There is a difference.

I know you don't want to help just anyone.
The emphasis was on the heart part.
The heart doesn't care about statistics and orphans who are only an abstraction for you as of yet, without a personal encounter.
Humanitarians are usually sentimental - so not about the heart.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 am

Anfang wrote:
A sentimental person thinks he's feeling.
There is a difference.

I know you don't want to help just anyone.
The emphasis was on the heart part.
The heart doesn't care about statistics and orphans who are only an abstraction for you as of yet, without a personal encounter.
Humanitarians are usually sentimental - so not about the heart.

I've had personal encounters with troubled children before, so I wouldn't consider them to be some abstraction. I'd prefer the adjective compassionate over sentimental.
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Primal Rage wrote:

I want to help people that have been through traumatic experiences, in particular, children who are orphaned due to losing their parents in war. I want to help those that need help - not just any person. I empathize with them.

Before I had my change of mind, I was suppressing my empathy/compassion in the attempt to become more ruthless, more tyrannical. But I realized the foolishness of my ways, and now am becoming more balanced and in tune with my nature.

Have you considered that your masculine overcompensation you displayed before this humbling experience of yours, was the reaction against a subjugation of your femininity?

Why do you believe subscribing to "humanitarianism" somehow exempts you from the self-annulling principles of other ideas like it?

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Oh boy...

Well, give your self some time to ...think... about all of it - what you want to do.
Seems prudent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 pm

stargazer wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:

Have you considered that your masculine overcompensation you displayed before this humbling experience of yours, was the reaction against a subjugation of your femininity?

Why do you believe subscribing to "humanitarianism" somehow exempts you from the self-annulling principles of other ideas like it?

Yes, I have. A lot of the machismo I displayed was very ' over the top', a compensation or way of snuffing out the feminine aspect of myself.

I wouldn't say I'm subscribing to humanitarianism as a sort of strict philosophy.  I suppose it's just a label, really.

To Anfang, I have done a lot of.....thinking.......about all of it. Many hours of silent contemplation, as prior mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Just one more step to egalitarianism.

Why "help" one person over another? Why help war ravaged children rather than a homeless bum? How is your "help" honest in anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Æon wrote:
Just one more step to egalitarianism.

Why "help" one person over another?  Why help war ravaged children rather than a homeless bum?  How is your "help" honest in anyway?

I don't think I could ever be an egalitarian, not an honest one anyways. I don't think it's a necessary component of humanitarianism. I've helped out homeless people before, but I'd prefer to help out children as they are more vulnerable.
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Primal Rage wrote:

Yes, I have. A lot of the machismo I displayed was very ' over the top', a compensation or way of snuffing out the feminine aspect of myself.

And now it seems to be taking on a crusade of its own. What does this tell you?

Quote :
I wouldn't say I'm subscribing to humanitarianism as a sort of strict philosophy.  I suppose it's just a label, really.

If you recognize its simplicity, than this should illustrate to you its baseness, it being simply another offshoot of liberalism.

Are you now a liberal?
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Primal Rage wrote:
but I'd prefer to help out children as they are more vulnerable.
Now you're exposing yourself.

What makes you think children need your "help"?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Primal Rage wrote:

In regards to the India thing, I thought it was already well established that you are a resident of India...I believe Satyr and Apaosha both confirmed that in the Chatbox sometime ago. And is it not logical that one would probably have more knowledge about a given subject if one grew up in the place it originated? Seems logical to me.
I never said Lyssa was form India. I told you that if Hinduism and eastern philosophy interested you that you should speak with Lyssa.

I guess I can understand why you jumped to that conclusion.

Besides, even if she does live there, who cares?

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:42 pm

I just thought about Ted Kaczynski's manifesto and how he describes the motivations of liberals to find a worthy cause, a purpose, because many natural expressions, avenues, are blocked off these days.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Anfang wrote:
I just thought about Ted Kaczynski's manifesto and how he describes the motivations of liberals to find a worthy cause, a purpose, because many natural expressions, avenues, are blocked off these days.
A brilliant piece of work, no?

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Satyr wrote:
Anfang wrote:
A brilliant piece of work, no?

On the intellectual level, yes, I think so.
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Anfang wrote:

One of my favorite pieces of objective analysis of modern psychology.

A reaction to what he called "surrogate activities".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Satyr wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:

I never said Lyssa was form India. I told you that if Hinduism and eastern philosophy interested you that you should speak with Lyssa.

I guess I can understand why you jumped to that conclusion.

Besides, even if she does live there, who cares?

It must have been just Apaosha that said it then. But I definitely remember someone telling me she lives there. I don't have any problem with her residency there; I only brought it up because she mentioned the AUM symbol in my signature.

To Aeon, Exposing myself? I don't think that children need my help, really. But rather that I can imagine that many would desire my assistance especially when they don't have anyone to turn to. I'm just someone who wants to be a sort of ' big brother ' to suffering kids. I'm not trying to be the messiah.

To Stargazer, I'm not a liberal nor do I plan on becoming one. But I do see how one might misconstrue me as one.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 12:54 pm

She's an African.
From Zimbabwe.
Chocolate skin, short hair.

And I am really from Nepal.
I'm a monk....castrated.  

There, I said it.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Primal wrote:

No, I don't (fore)see myself changing my views in the coming months. And I don't recall Satyr mentioning anything about regular humanitarianism. Yes, he did talk about secular-humanism often, but, of course, humanitarianism and secular-humanism are not the same thing.

"What is Christian altruism if not the mass-egoism of the weak, which divines that if all care for one another each individual will be preserved as long as possible?-" [N., WTP, 246]

Don't let the word "Christian" distract you...
Because it doesn't matter when the values remain the same.

"Genuine charity demands sacrifice for the good of the species -it is hard, it is full of self-overcoming, because it needs human sacrifice. And this pseudo humaneness called Christianity wants it established that no one should be sacrificed..." [ib]

Quote :

And it appears that you get overly-defensive when one mentions something personal about you which, to me, indicates an insecurity of sorts.

No, you are a liar; Satyr never said so.

And I happen to have a transcript of that chat, and it is only Apaosha who made a remark:

Dated 4th Nov., 2013:

[17:53:59] Primal Rage : who is this lyssa chic?

[17:54:10] @ apaosha : thing is, this forum is a free forum. in other words, dependent on the provider forumotion for its continued existence.

[17:54:19] Primal Rage : is that her in the avatar?

[17:54:30] @ apaosha : we are always discussing ways to set up a more permanent arrangement.

[17:54:52] @ apaosha : lyssa is an indian woman. prytanes, meaning an admin.

[17:54:55] Primal Rage : ah, if i interrupted, let me know

[17:55:21] @ apaosha : no worries.

[17:56:00] Primal Rage : ok

[17:56:45] @ Satyr : I've never seen Lyssa

[17:57:26] @ Satyr : Why, you interested?

[17:58:04] Primal Rage : yes

[17:58:15] Primal Rage : she seems like a fine feminine

Like I said, all there is a manipulable IP and anyone is free to remark and imagine and comment anywhich way about me.

Has it occurred to you, I could be an Israeli soldier, an ex-jewess, and it is such a background that makes me so violent, and passionate about intellectual honesty after seeing all the travesty around me?? Maybe I'm not even an I.E. at all???

Could it be the case?

How's that for a scenario?

One more time you claim lies and poor memory, that'll be the last time I pay attention to you.

And lastly, for example, the whole point of part of Nietzsche's philosophy was how the germans because they were in germany couldn't fathom their own culture, they were blind to it.
Claiming that being born in a country automatically entitles you to the best understanding is a bad logic.

Last edited by Lyssa on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Satyr claimed in the chat there he never saw me.

I guess every hearsay is a Truism. But who knows?? Maybe he really hasn't as a fact...

What I will point out in this thread about Primal, is what I pointed out initially in the first chat - he has ADD.

Rather than concentrate on the substance of any post, topic, his mind wanders off in personal obssession...

Last edited by Lyssa on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Primal Rage wrote:
To Aeon, Exposing myself? I don't think that children need my help, really. But rather that I can imagine that many would desire my assistance especially when they don't have anyone to turn to. I'm just someone who wants to be a sort of ' big brother ' to suffering kids. I'm not trying to be the messiah.
Given the nature of this environment, of this forum, your sudden switch to humanitarianism, and your desire to "help" children, something seems off to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Æon wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:
Given the nature of this environment, of this forum, your sudden switch to humanitarianism, and your desire to "help" children, something seems off to me.

That's understandable. But I haven't changed entirely; I still like boxing, old Norse sagas, believe in violence as self-defense, etc, etc, etc. My masculine aspect is just less extreme - I was hyper-masculine before. Just read my older posts and it's clear.

Last edited by Primal Rage on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Primal Rage wrote:

To Stargazer, I'm not a liberal nor do I plan on becoming one. But I do see how one might misconstrue me as one.  

You do? If I see a book with a title "organic gardening" should i assume that gardening has nothing to do with it because the word 'organic' was included? That you are projecting an altruistic outlook to anonymous people who you haven't even considered might not give a dam about your true spiritual quest, says that you do not know why you suddenly feel drawn to philanthropy. You are intuiting from a shallow perspective and submitting to an aimless mentality because on some level you fear reason, or you fear the cost that comes with being loyal to certain principles, the cost of self-knowledge.

Your encounter with your mortality, was simply the catalyst, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ego Death - Epiphanies.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next