Nothing in Excess

HomePortalFAQMemberlistSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm feeling that kind of apathy and ennui right now too, Henry Quick.

I think all the cretins stay in their homes until the holidays then you can't even walk without tripping over them.

I always just chalked this up my my holiday dissociative disorder. It's not just because I'm an atheist, it's a hallmark holiday anyway even if the Christians deny it and the Pagans try to reclaim it.

Maybe they'll start a war. That would at least be something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:12 pm

"apathy and ennui"

No, that's not it.

My chain has been yanked (one too many times)...my big shiny red button pushed over and over.

I ain't depressed: I'm just pissed...my gear teeth have been ground down to rough nubs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Don't worry, I hear the end of civilization is on its way.

View user profile http://satyr.canadian-forum.com/
Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:21 pm

If I still didn't need it, the fall of civilization would be a good thing...but: I still need it.

So: I grunt and shrug and repress and (mebbe) get brain tumors.

At least it won't be ass cancer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:24 pm

You know, you might be on to something.

I'm not sure, I'm usually too busy living to notice. I never have enough time to think about the end of civilization. That's just something I read about in books. It seems almost pop culture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Henry Quirk wrote:
If I still didn't need it, the fall of civilization would be a good thing...but: I still need it.

On the positive side though, ass cancer is a faster way to go. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Henry Quirk wrote:

Trust me...I have knowledge of it...a genius told me that it is near.

Henry Quirk wrote:

Don't worry, they've cured cancer on ILP.
Big business is keeping it hush-hush, but the math is there.

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Ass cancer may be faster but it's nowhere as dramatic and iconic as a rotting brain.

His brain turns to mush as Henry valiantly holds onto to his sense of sense of self and dignity.

Friggin' awe-inspiring.

While this -- Henry's ass rots, he get a colostomy, he dies -- is just garden-variety pathetic.

#

HA!

The price of the ILP cures is just too high for me...gotta go crazy and I like being' *sane.

*I am sane, yes? *sigh*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:59 pm

You're so romantic.

Brain cancer is not as pretty as you make it sound. I'm a hospice nurse. No cancer is pretty or romantic.  

Dementia and Alzheimer's though, I feel like that is worse. Slowly losing pieces of your life, whole threads of what make you "you" slowly unraveling while your body functions just fine. Old memories remembered and then peeled away while your family tries to catch them before they fall.

It's like watching Rome burn one piece of stone at a time, each citizen turning to ash in your mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm

hospice nurse, huh?
I work in a hospital.
funny story....last week in the ICU I lifted a patient to give him an x-ray.
A nurse saw us and rushed over waving his hands...

"Not needed" he said....
He did look bluish and did feel cold, but who am I to ask why or what.
We were laughing about it all day.

Things I've seen in there, colour and smell and touch....I've become immune to it.
The worse is when you deal with terminally ill twenty-year-olds.
You see death on their faces.

Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Well, it's a "grey" area. I've seen patients grey or bluish days before they pass, and their skin is almost always cool to the touch.

There is always that smell about it to me. They smell different, though severe anorexics give off that same scent. Almost electrical, like the electrons are still willing to move and burn out even after there is nothing left to feed them.

I'm not numb though, I guess because I spend weeks and sometimes months with each of my patients both taking care of them, and providing emotional support to them and their families. Each loss is difficult for me, even with the toughest and coldest patients. One called me a carrion crow. Said I was just there to watch and wait for him to die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Satyr wrote:

Things I've seen in there, colour and smell and touch....I've become immune to it.
The worse is when you deal with terminally ill twenty-year-olds.
You see death on their faces.  

This is why I don't work with the young. I can't take it. My heart breaks.

When I first became a nurse, I wanted to work on the peds ward. I suppose that because I am a mother, it is hard to watch sick children die. It is hard to know what to say to families and I became numb. I felt like every time I stepped on to the floor I was floating in kind of a fugue state.

With middle-aged and older patients working in hospice, I find the positive and really get to know my patient. I do cry for them when they die, even the tough ones. It is worth it though. I find it rewarding to help ease someone's suffering if just for a few minutes at a time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:27 pm

The smells were the hardest thing to get used to, for me.
each floor has its won particular scent...especially when then orderlies clean them in the morning.

Yes...that smell....like electricity in the air....alkaline.

Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Interestingly, while I was doing a rotation during my social work training on a Dementia ward I got in trouble for smelling like pinesol. I upset one of the patients so much that she lashed out at her orderly and it took hours to calm her down.

I have always felt like scent lasts longer in the mind than any of the other senses. I can still remember the smell my grandfathers brill cream even though he's been gone more than 20 years. And violets, my grandmother loved violets. I recently bought a scented ink for my pen (I only use fountain pens. I love the mechanics and consistancy of them) and it smells like violets. My handwriting gets more careful when I use it. It's De Atramentis Violet and the scent fades quickly but it's just enough for me to remember her Victorian style. Aesthetically anecdotal, but it's all part of the experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I still remember my grandmother's smell: flour and wheat.

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Italian grandmother's odor: scotch on the rocks, cigarettes, and rose perfume.
Austro-German Grandfather's: scotch on the rocks, cigarettes, and unknown [pleasant, cool] fragrance.

Sometimes women with armpit BO is attractive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 am

"You're so romantic."

HA!

I was tryin' to make with the funny.

Goes to show how discombobulated my head is.

#

"No cancer is pretty or romantic."

Of course not.

Lost my Grand Pop to liver cancer. Lost my Aunt Karen to brain cancer. A friend, Kim, lost a breast to cancer.

No, it's not pretty or romantic...but -- in the right hands (not mine, obviously) -- it can be funny.

#

Hospital smells: visited an acquaintance Wednesday...she was in ICU with status epilepticus...got lost in the halls...wandered awhile before I got my bearings...whole place smelled of meat loaf, from the lobby all the way up to the 4th floor ICU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:16 am

Surgery room smells kind of good. That burned fat smell that you get when you're making bbq over a very hot grill.
I worked in a hospital too, long time ago, but my patients were the equipment. Engineering dept.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am

Henry wrote:
No, it's not pretty or romantic...but -- in the right hands (not mine, obviously) -- it can be funny.

It was good.

phoneutria wrote:
I worked in a hospital too, long time ago, but my patients were the equipment. Engineering dept.

Somebody gotta refill the pipette trays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Supra-Aryanist wrote:
Italian grandmother's odor: scotch on the rocks, cigarettes, and rose perfume.
Austro-German Grandfather's: scotch on the rocks, cigarettes, and unknown [pleasant, cool] fragrance.

Sometimes women with armpit BO is attractive.

I love the smell of skin. Not perfumed or with any kind of strong soap, just skin.  I love the smell of skin after a workout where the salt has dried on the skin and it's got a light sharpness about it. Everyone's skin has a different scent. It's kind of amazing I think.

I don't prefer the smell of armpit BO though, which is why I have no hair there. It's fine for others, but not for me.

Henry Quirk wrote:

Hospital smells: visited an acquaintance Wednesday...she was in ICU with status epilepticus...got lost in the halls...wandered awhile before I got my bearings...whole place smelled of meat loaf, from the lobby all the way up to the 4th floor ICU.

That's the food trays, that smell. I don't know why it smells that way at every hospital I visit. All the food trays, all the dishes, they all smell like that meatloafy smell. It makes me nauseous actually, and it's one of the reasons I prefer working hospice. I'm usually only there for an initial visit or two before helping the patient transition to their home setting. The rest of my time is spent with the patient and their family in their home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Arditezza wrote:

I love the smell of skin. Not perfumed or with any kind of strong soap, just skin.  I love the smell of skin after a workout where the salt has dried on the skin and it's got a light sharpness about it. Everyone's skin has a different scent. It's kind of amazing I think.

I don't prefer the smell of armpit BO though, which is why I have no hair there. It's fine for others, but not for me.

I prefer hair, in every area, apart from legs. lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 am

Well, I work very closely with patients, and it tends to be quite a workout rotating them, changing sheets, changing soiled clothes, bathing them, doing physical therapy. It's also almost always warm because we have to keep the temps warmer to keep them comfortable. So I tend to sweat a lot while I am working. I don't like to smell at the end of the day, so I had it all zapped off.

I'm curious though why hair on the legs bothers you but not bushy armpits?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Anfang wrote:

phoneutria wrote:

Somebody gotta refill the pipette trays.

Yeah that's done by lab interns.

I was there to keep delicate surgical devices calibrated and in good shape, also on call for when they malfunctioned and needed to be repaired on the spot.
Had to fix an anesthesy device once while a doctor pushed air into a patient manually using a balloon. That was... stressful.
Worse thing about that job is when something breaks everyone in the room thinking it's your fault, when 90% of the cases it is because it was improperly set up by an user.

The plight of the engineer :roll-eyes:

Just like my current job. Just a little stressful since nobody dies if some damn administrative tool fails.
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:40 pm

Quote :
So I tend to sweat a lot while I am working. I don't like to smell at the end of the day[...]
You're killing me.

Quote :

I'm curious though why hair on the legs bothers you but not bushy armpits?
It's too masculine, I'd reckon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Supra-Aryanist wrote:

That's interesting. I lived in Germany for 4 years of my life, I still don't see hairy legs as masculine but I do find armpit hair masculine. I guess it might be because I rode public transit a lot and was used to skirts and hairy legs. Not many women wear short enough sleeves to expose armpit hair.

The smell on the bus... All those thick musks all packed into a small space. Maybe that's why I can't stand it. Overexposure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 pm

phoneutria wrote:

Just like my current job. Just a little stressful since nobody dies if some damn administrative tool fails.

Yes, death relieves stress...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Arditezza wrote:
That's interesting. I lived in Germany for 4 years of my life, I still don't see hairy legs as masculine but I do find armpit hair masculine.

The less hairy, the younger and more innocent a person looks.
And overall a woman is on average less hairy than a man and if that difference in looks is not associated with masculinity and femininity then I don't know why the word masculine would be associated with men in the first place. That word would be meaningless in regards to describing looks. Nothing would qualify as being masculine in looks when it comes to mankind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Arditezza wrote:
Supra-Aryanist wrote:

That's interesting. I lived in Germany for 4 years of my life, I still don't see hairy legs as masculine but I do find armpit hair masculine. I guess it might be because I rode public transit a lot and was used to skirts and hairy legs. Not many women wear short enough sleeves to expose armpit hair.

The smell on the bus... All those thick musks all packed into a small space. Maybe that's why I can't stand it.  Overexposure.
Phew, ripe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Why go throw the trouble of defeating a strong criticism, if you can invent a weak one to defeat?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 am

Maybe it comes down to alienation. This increasingly common quality of mind which helps to function well in the modern environment is also the motivation to push onwards and to try and escape said quality. But it only intensifies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 am

"Why go throw the trouble of defeating a strong criticism, if you can invent a weak one to defeat?"

Better question: if it takes no bread from your table, no shingles from your roof; if it impinges on you in no way, why worry about criticism?

Mebbe that criticism -- if understood -- can put food on your table (or, free you up in some way), but that's a different matter than working to defeat or counter criticism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:16 am

Talking about scents; anybody ever noticed a similarity between the smell of young children / toddlers and old people (in a home for elderly)? When I was a child and I so now and then had to go to the childcare; I became sickened by the smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Stuart-

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:59 am

May I ask if the smell of animals bothers you as much as people and the products of people?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:27 am

I am not bothered by the smell of animals as long they are in hygiene, presumed that they are kept and taken care off by humans and/or by their own instincts to clean themselves.

The most disgusting smell is human garbage, especially the most fine particles which will stick in your mouth and nose and throat and on your skin; ever been on a garbage dump?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am

OhFortunae wrote:
Talking about scents; anybody ever noticed a similarity between the smell of young children / toddlers and old people (in a home for elderly)? When I was a child and I so now and then had to go to the childcare; I became sickened by the smell.

It's most probably dried urine, and feces that you scent both in elderly homes and child care facilities. Their diets are similar (bland) and the diaper material is the same as well. Urine has a high ammonia base and makes the air a bit acrid. I'm immune to it at this point I think because I am often in a hospital/elderly care/hospice care setting most often in my work when I am not working on grants and research.

I am not bothered by animals, actually. It might be because I understand that there is nothing they can do about it. For humans, it can be quite different. Though when I am doing volunteer work around the holidays I encounter a lot of homeless people and their small doesn't seem to bother me. There isn't a thing some of them can do about it so I guess my brain just shuts off it's disgust meter for a little bit.

I've never thought about that before... stinky babies don't bother me either, nor do diapers on babies or adults.

Garbage dumps though... Worst smell ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stuart-

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:50 pm

OhFortunae wrote:
I am not bothered by the smell of animals as long they are in hygiene, presumed that they are kept and taken care off by humans and/or by their own instincts to clean themselves.

The most disgusting smell is human garbage, especially the most fine particles which will stick in your mouth and nose and throat and on your skin; ever been on a garbage dump?

I've been in similar places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henry Quirk

PostSubject: (posted over at PN) all you really need to know about people and politcs Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am

Bluntly: there are three broad classes of man...

The naturally governed: it is their lot to be directed...most are content with this, especially when base needs and desires are satisfied...some, while discontent, are too stupid or weak to step out of line.

The naturally governing: it is their lot to direct...they crave this...this craving is their chief qualification for governing...these are the directors of resource and flesh, the managers of nation and mind.

The naturally ungovernable: it is their lot to bridle at even the hint of another's authority...dissatisfied and criminally-minded, they join the ranks of the governors (a poor fit), or, actively oppose the governors and the governed (a poor choice), or, work hard to quietly insulate themselves and go about their own business...the ungovernable are a plague to both the governors and the governed and probably should be rounded up and shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arditezza

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Hmm.

I think that I can be all three at once.

I've found that I might wear any of those hats within any given day. When I am with my patients and their families, I am very much in charge and governing the situation at hand. When I am doing research and applying for grants, I am also governing that process and many people and resources are involved.

In a hospital setting, I allow the doctor to govern the patient care and I follow instructions without question and I get the job done. At home, I am both the governed and the governess depending on the situation.

In my car, I am ungovernable. I don't accept authority at all. I drive as fast as I want, how I want and I think that these arbitrary speed limits are designed for revenues and not safety. I actively disobey the speed limit. I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years and drove on the Autobahn, I know exactly my comfortable and effective speed limit. Fuck the cops. I have really expensive radar detectors and often will pack with others to convoy through an area at a higher rate of speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stuart-

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:37 am

You seem almost as confident in the driving of others as your own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 am

Arditezza wrote:
Hmm.

I think that I can be all three at once.

I've found that I might wear any of those hats within any given day. When I am with my patients and their families, I am very much in charge and governing the situation at hand. When I am doing research and applying for grants, I am also governing that process and many people and resources are involved.

In a hospital setting, I allow the doctor to govern the patient care and I follow instructions without question and I get the job done. At home, I am both the governed and the governess depending on the situation.

In my car, I am ungovernable. I don't accept authority at all. I drive as fast as I want, how I want and I think that these arbitrary speed limits are designed for revenues and not safety. I actively disobey the speed limit. I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years and drove on the Autobahn, I know exactly my comfortable and effective speed limit. Fuck the cops.  I have really expensive radar detectors and often will pack with others to convoy through an area at a higher rate of speed.

Standard/manual or automatic? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads Today at 10:06 pm

Back to top Go down

Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next