Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Christ Figure - Archetypes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Christ Figure - Archetypes Empty
PostSubject: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014 - 14:18

I thought I would dedicate this thread to the archetype of the Christ. I might do a series on archetypes. But for now, just the Christ figure.

Christ (/kraɪst/) (ancient Greek: Χριστός, Christós, meaning 'anointed') is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ) and the Syriac ܡܫܝܚܐ (M'shiha), the Messiah, and is used as a title for Jesus in the New Testament.

Looking back in history, one can see many instances of these charismatic Christ-figures appearing in distinct epochs, e.g., Buddha, Krishna, Yeshua ( Jesus ), Ramana Maharshi, and so on. What does the Christ figure symbolize? The Christ archetype represents love, peace, order, utopia ( heaven ), benevolence in its entirety.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Personal note: I've read the bible, especially, the New Testament a multiplicity of times; I used to be a devout Christian many years back. While I don't agree with everything the Nazarene preached, I still think he, as a real or merely fictitious character, possessed many noble qualities. Modern so called " Christians ", in general, are far from emulating the 'man of many sorrows'. As Nietzsche stated, " The last true Christian died on the cross".

Sac -ri- fice    : an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to God or to a divine or supernatural figure.

The ultimate sign of love, the offering of one's own life for the salvation of another. The quintessence of the Christ archetype.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014 - 22:11

Reminds me of that creep Acharya S.

Primal wrote:
"Looking back in history, one can see many instances of these charismatic Christ-figures appearing in distinct epochs, e.g., Buddha, Krishna, Yeshua ( Jesus ), Ramana Maharshi, and so on."

And levelling begins here...

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014 - 23:03

Lyssa wrote:

Primal wrote:
"Looking back in history, one can see many instances of these charismatic Christ-figures appearing in distinct epochs, e.g., Buddha, Krishna, Yeshua ( Jesus ), Ramana Maharshi, and so on."

Leveling? Like leveling of humanity? A nihilistic will to subsume all into The One? Elaborate, please.

And Acharya S? The Zeitgeist lady? What reminds you of her?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:14

In media, the Messianic Archetype is a character whose role in the story (but not necessarily personality) echoes that of Christ. They are portrayed as a savior, whether the thing they are saving is a person, a lot of people or the whole of humanity. They endure a sizable sacrifice as the means of bringing that salvation about for others, a fate they do not deserve up to and including death or a Fate Worse than Death.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Superman is, probably, the par excellence of the Christ figure.

The concept of ' superman ' originated from the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: Overman. But later, the idea was made moralistic and heroic. In the scene above from the movie Man of Steel, philosophical underpinnings were made more manifest. The enemies of Superman are amoral; the don't regard the weak or humanity. They believe that their amorality gives them an advantage, an evolutionary advantage. Superman is the opposite; he is moral and tries to save humanity from cosmic tyrants and destroyers.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:18

No, the SuperHero Superman originate in the minds of two Jews, who originally created him as an evil character and later made him into a Judeo-Christian icon, saving mankind, helping the world, despite being a demi-god, beside them.

It was a message for the kids.

Remember in the movie...how Superman's dad opposes the others who want to save a few select few from Crypton's destruction?
remember what he does?

He saves HIS son.
A hypocrisy. He reprimands them by telling them:
"Who will choose who shall live and who shall die"...and then he chooses his son.
A biblical metaphor.
Moses on the river Nile.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:35

Satyr wrote:
No, the SuperHero Superman originate in the minds of two Jews, who originally created him as an evil character and later made him into a Judeo-Christian icon, saving mankind, helping the world, despite being a demi-god, beside them.

Yes, but were they not, first, inspired by Nietzsche's Overman? Nietzsche inspired Hitler, and Hitler, obviously, was an enemy of the Jews. Is that not why they viewed Nietzsche's 'Overman' as evil?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:37

They took the German word ubermensch and interpreted it into a caricature Superman....which is now the way the average western boy understands the term: as a powerful, flying, god-like man.
It was a way to ridicule and degrade.

Nietzsche's overman has nothing to do with that caricature.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:44

In the matrix there's that scene where Neo, the Messiah, who goes to Zion, of all places (they had to name it Zion) and makes a deal with the machine that created the Matrix.
Neo dies, and is carried away in the cross-figure position.

It comes after this one...

hǣþen
hero
hǣþen

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 17:30

Lyssa wrote:

Primal wrote:

I had an exchange with her once, she is really crazy.

"Balu" is on her forum. The author of a heathen in his blindness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 18:02

Satyr wrote:
In the matrix there's that scene where Neo, the Messiah, who goes to Zion, of all places (they had to name it Zion) and makes a deal with the machine that created the Matrix.
Neo dies, and is carried away in the cross-figure position.

It comes after this one...

Yes, Neo is a Christ-figure. The films are filled with Christian symbolism. I might elaborate on the Matrix in this thread later on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 18:22

I believe Zion is the refugee city. You know, that place where everyone is kind of brown.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes EmptyThu 12 Jun 2014 - 18:52

phoneutria wrote:
I believe Zion is the refugee city. You know, that place where everyone is kind of brown.

I think another interpretation of the Matrix is as a metaphor of racial apocalypse, where Zion represents Africa (a reference to Ethiopia in Rastafarianism). People born in Zion consider themselves pure humans (Tank (a black male): "Me and my brother, Dozer, are 100% pure, old-fashioned, homegrown human. Born free right here... in the real world. A genuine child of Zion."), reflecting current anthropological thinking regarding human origins.

Quote :
In the Rastafari movement, "Zion" stands for a utopian place of unity, peace and freedom, as opposed to "Babylon", the oppressing and exploiting system of the materialistic modern world and a place of evil.[16][16]

It proclaims Zion, as reference to Ethiopia, the original birthplace of humankind, and from the beginning of the movement calls to repatriation to Zion, the Promised Land and Heaven on Earth.[17]

In the film Zion is located in a hot climate and the humans have tribal codes of dress and behavior.

Contrast this with the machine city in the north, a place ruled by logic and rationalism, a representation of white consciousness.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Christ Figure - Archetypes The Christ Figure - Archetypes Empty

Back to top Go down

The Christ Figure - Archetypes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1