Share | 

Random Questions Box

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeah, Erik, read all the classics if you want to be a well-rounded gimp, and a hoot at parties where the ladies will be impressed by your literary references.

Nothing gets the chicks wet than a bit of Shakespeare performed verbatim.
If you adopt a brooding silent strong type, it'll be perfect.
Wear a hat and say ma'am a lot.

Avoid saying 'y'all... that hillbilly lowbrow.

View user profile http://satyr.canadian-forum.com/

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Satyr wrote:
Yeah, Erik, read all the classics if you want to be a well-rounded gimp, and a hoot at parties where the ladies will be impressed by your literary references.

Nothing gets the chicks wet than a bit of Shakespeare performed verbatim.
If you adopt a brooding silent strong type, it'll be perfect.
Wear a hat and say ma'am a lot.

Avoid saying "y'all..." that's hillbilly lowbrow.

Haha! Laughing 

You crack me up, Satyr.
Back to top Go down
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Quote :
I have an ardent desire to reach my apex. 

Inflict immense pain onto yourself. Something that leaves a big scar, permanently. I once put the heat on for a frying pan, waited 20mins in a cold sweat, then took a sharp knife and cut myself 15cm wide in the arm and took the pan over the wound till it stopped bleading. Screams!!!!! Result? Realization, not intellectually, but through experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 pm

There Will Be Blood wrote:
Quote :
I have an ardent desire to reach my apex. 

Inflict immense pain onto yourself. Something that leaves a big scar, permanently. I once put the heat on for a frying pan, waited 20mins in a cold sweat, then took a sharp knife and cut myself 15cm wide in the arm and took the pan over the wound till it stopped bleading. Screams!!!!! Result? Realization, not intellectually, but through experience.

You have been acting kind of squirrely lately, Bloody Boy. What's going on?

This might be TMI for some, but fuck it....I, actually, have some intense philosophical realizations upon reaching an orgasm.....

I've been inquiring into Tantra for this reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 am

Question of the day:

Who wins?

Spartan vs Samurai

Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:18 pm

The Samurai would cut the Spartan's spear in half.

The Samurai was more heavily armored, and had superior technology, as they came into their own approximately 2000 years after the Spartans.

Furthermore, Spartans excelled as a group, not as individuals.

I hate to say it but the Samurai, a fairer comparison would be the Samurai versus the Medieval Knight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Spear vs. Sword

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Divergense wrote:
The Samurai would cut the Spartan's spear in half.

The Samurai was more heavily armored, and had superior technology, as they came into their own approximately 2000 years after the Spartans.

Furthermore, Spartans excelled as a group, not as individuals.

I hate to say it but the Samurai, a fairer comparison would be the Samurai versus the Medieval Knight.

I was thinking the same thing, that the Samurai would slice the Spartan spear, but Spartans carried swords, too.

Another good point about Spartans being more of collective soldiers, as opposed to individualistic.

I favor the Samurai to win, also.
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Anfang wrote:
Spear vs. Sword

Hmmm, interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Erik wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, that the Samurai would slice the Spartan spear, but Spartans carried swords, too.
Right, I think Samurai's carry pole weapons too, I believe they're called naginatas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
apaosha
Daeva

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:42 pm

The naginata was considered a woman's weapon, or at least naginatodo is considered a woman's sport.

But they are completely different fighting styles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A spartan had a shield, a spear and a sword. Samurai did not use shields. Theoretically, the spartan should be able to defend with his shield while also stabbing with his spear. The samurai would have difficulty hitting him.

Last edited by apaosha on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://knowthyself.forumotion.net
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Good points, I'm starting to change my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 pm

Why doesn't Nietzsche explicitly call himself Apollo but explicitly calls himself Dionysus?...Of course, he says the overman is the lightning, but does he ever anywhere equate himself with Apollo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:34 pm

perpetualburn wrote:
Why doesn't Nietzsche explicitly call himself Apollo but explicitly calls himself Dionysus?...Of course, he says the overman is the lightning, but does he ever anywhere equate himself with Apollo?
Because he knew he wasn't the overman, but the overman's artistic, emotional, passionate & romantic bitch.

He was playing John the Baptist to the Aristocratic Messiah, or destroyer/replenisher to come, postmodernity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Found this:

Quote :
...Nietzsche’s project is not an analogous echo of Hume’s Philo in Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, where philo wins the day for philosophical skepticism. Nietzsche is instead Ion, who converses with Creusa and Xuthus and later storms the gates of Delphi – “I will ask Apollo himself, whose son I am.” Apollo vanishes, and the child must transcend through creation “not because he must, but because he has no wish to stay.” Eurphides, “Ion,”…
-"Encountering Cruelty: The Fracture of the Human Heart"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Quote :
You have been acting kind of squirrely lately, Bloody Boy. What's going on?

Apologies hun, though I think its all in your head. I should know, I should know. 

But trust me, pain is just the most amazing tool. So undervalued, unused such that when in a crowd you just start to think:

What I really want is for dreams to feel even more real, and for the real to feel even more surreal. 

How about you? What modifications of ongoing experience desired?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

There Will Be Blood,

I want to live life more fearlessly. Fear, for the most part, is a hindrance; it inhibits one from experiencing the plenitude of life.

Imagine living without anxieties, without insecurities; liberation!

Sublime, is it not?
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm not an expert on life, but here's my two cents -

Fear is our most primal emotion.

We need fear, because the world is full of threats, like hungry bears and wolves, or people who would take advantage of our gullibility and naiveté.

Better pack a rifle.

It's not fear itself, but paranoia and phobias, that're a hindrance.

Life is about being calculative, about counting the cost, weighing the negative contra the positive, minimizing the former and maximizing the latter.

The positive is easy to see, for most of us, it beckons us, blinds us, compels us, because it's pleasant, perceiving negativity, requires effort.

However, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, we need some negativity, in order to appreciate and strengthen life.

Ultimately, it's all about moderation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Divergense wrote:
I'm not an expert on life, but here's my two cents -

Fear is our most primal emotion.

We need fear, because the world is full of threats, like hungry bears and wolves, or people who would take advantage of our gullibility and naiveté.

Better pack a rifle.

It's not fear itself, but paranoia and phobias, that're a hindrance.

Life is about being calculative, about counting the cost, weighing the negative contra the positive, minimizing the former and maximizing the latter.

The positive is easy to see, for most of us, it beckons us, blinds us, compels us, because it's pleasant, perceiving negativity, requires more effort.

However, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, we need some negativity, in order to appreciate and strengthen life.

Ultimately, it's all about moderation.

Fear has its use in more primitive entities, but for Humans, I feel it's, essentially, antithetical to personal development. Example: I don't need to feel the primal force of fear when crossing the street; I'm cognizant of the potential dangers. I would cross the road, actually, more efficiently without fear; fear is antithetical to performance. There's an old Spartan saying: " Fear makes men forget, and skill which cannot fight is useless." - Brasides of Sparta.

Perhaps I can't eradicate fear entirely, but I will seek to dominate it.
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Maybe I'm using the word in a broader sense than you.

For me, fear encompasses apprehension, angst, anxiety, nervousness...

For me, these are all just gradations of fear.

Sure, cultivate your fear, trim the excess, and don't allow it to overwhelm your consciousness completely, even in survival situations if possible.

Sometimes we can lack fear even, it's all about balance/context.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Divergense wrote:

Sure, cultivate your fear, trim the excess, and don't allow it to overwhelm your consciousness completely, even in survival situations if possible.

No, it seems like we are on the same page; I agree that angst, anxiety, nervousness, and so on are gradations of fear.

I simply don't see any utility in those things for myself.
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Erik wrote:
Divergense wrote:

No, it seems like we are on the same page; I agree that angst, anxiety, nervousness, and so on are gradations of fear.

I simply don't see any utility in those things for myself.
Of course you know your own life better than I ever could.

Fear is what keeps us from getting drunk, making an ass and a pig of ourselves, winding up in jail, prison, the hospital or morgue for nothing.

Fear is what keeps us from walking down an Afro-infested alleyway at night.

Fear is what keeps us away from psychotic bitches that can't take rejection.

Fear is what keeps us counting the cost, thinking to ourselves, maybe X isn't worth it, maybe Y isn't wroth it, maybe boxing isn't worth it, because my intelligence is too important to me.
I may want to be a writer some day, and I don't want to numb my skull, or, maybe being a recluse isn't worth it, because friends, or girls are too important to me, and the thought of being completely and utterly alone, terrifies me.
I just had a major fight, it took everything I had, maybe I should cool off for a few months, give my body and brain a chance to recover.
Maybe I should pay the bills, take care of rent first, and then I can go gambling, carousing and cavorting, or maybe I shouldn't be gambling in the first place, as the odds, especially slots, are 20/1 in their favor, and I want to save some money in the bank for a rainy day.
Maybe these drugs I'm thinking of taking for my anxiety, or the fluoride in my toothpaste, or the 5 cans of pop, loaded with aspartame/sugar, or the Asian food, loaded with MSG/salt, might have consequences I should look into first, before I give myself over to them.

I think we need anxiety, everyday... every moment, so long as it has something to do with experience, reason and research, and it's not a complete chemical imbalance, or a product of faulty logic.
Even in modernity, there's still plenty of dangers lurking beneath the glitz and glam.
Having fear doesn't necessarily mean being paralyzed either, it can be constructive, like people built castles, in order to protect themselves, and their kings and queens from potential threats, people research things, they learn about health, about physiology, psychology and neurology, to better cope and deal with things, before they arise (preventative medicine/nutrition), people build their bodies, due to fear, because they got beaten up at school, or they're worried about defending themselves or their mate from predators.

Fear can be constructive, it can be a positive influence in ones life.
Try to see the positive in negativity and the negative in positivity, you might see they're far more interconnected than you realize... inseparable even, in many respects, it's not so simple, 1/0, black/white.
I wouldn't buy into the positivism wholeheartedly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Quote :
I want to live life more fearlessly. Fear, for the most part, is a hindrance; it inhibits one from experiencing the plenitude of life.  Imagine living without anxieties, without insecurities; liberation!

Answer : Alcahol 

Its true! It would very much relate to why some people become/are alcoholics.

A man can only ever be brave when he is afraid. 

You should instead prioritize your fears to the defense higher ideals and the hindering ones will fade. 

Fathers for example generally have less of a fear of death. I think it has less to do with the knowledge that their genetic line will live on, and more to do with a entity that they now place above themselves, prioritizing and saving the fear for it instead.

Get it?

But a child is hardly the only form. So search your own form instead of what you seek now.

Lives with trivial attachments fear death. And children now days very much fear it less than adults.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Quote :
I want to live life more fearlessly. Fear, for the most part, is a hindrance; it inhibits one from experiencing the plenitude of life.  Imagine living without anxieties, without insecurities; liberation!

Answer : Alcahol 

Its true! It would very much relate to why some people become/are alcoholics.

A man can only ever be brave when he is afraid. 

You should instead prioritize your fears to the defense higher ideals and the hindering ones will fade. 

Fathers for example generally have less of a fear of death. I think it has less to do with the knowledge that their genetic line will live on, and more to do with a entity that they now place above themselves, prioritizing and saving the fear for it instead.

Get it?

But a child is hardly the only form. So search your own form instead of what you seek now.

Lives with trivial attachments fear death. And children now days very much fear it less than adults.

Alcohol is a temporary solution to a long term problem, amigo.

My goal is akin to the Samurai in this regard; I seek to be numb to fear, if possible. If not possible, then I seek to dominate it, control it - make it my bitch.
Back to top Go down
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah, my bad, overestimation on my part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Yeah, my bad, overestimation on my part.

Mind explaining what, the devil, your avatar is about?
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Nietzsche wrote:
Do you possess courage, O my brothers? Are you stout-hearted? Not courage in the presence of witnesses, but hermit's and eagle's courage, which not even a god observes any more?
I do not call cold-spirited, mulish, blind or intoxicated men stout-hearted. He possesses heart who knows fear but masters fear; who sees the abyss, but sees it with pride
He who sees the abyss, but with an eagle's eyes - he who grasps the abyss with an eagle's claws: he possesses courage.

-

For courage is the best destroyer - courage that attacks: for in every attack there is a triumphant shout.

Courage lies in self-overcoming, self mastery. You cannot be courageous if you do not first feel fear. Fear is not shameful, if you are not ruled by it.
It is base and shameful to be ruled by emotion, to have your higher rationality controlled by the animal instincts. But it is also base to deny one's inherent instincts, as they do serve you and act in your interests.

To numb your fear is to surrender to it, as you have therefore admitted that you cannot face it. If you do not feel fear at all, you are ignorant of the potential dangers.
Know fear, know thyself, and master it.

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 pm

apaosha wrote:
Nietzsche wrote:
Do you possess courage, O my brothers? Are you stout-hearted? Not courage in the presence of witnesses, but hermit's and eagle's courage, which not even a god observes any more?
I do not call cold-spirited, mulish, blind or intoxicated men stout-hearted. He possesses heart who knows fear but masters fear; who sees the abyss, but sees it with pride
He who sees the abyss, but with an eagle's eyes - he who grasps the abyss with an eagle's claws: he possesses courage.

-

For courage is the best destroyer - courage that attacks: for in every attack there is a triumphant shout.

Courage lies in self-overcoming, self mastery. You cannot be courageous if you do not first feel fear. Fear is not shameful, if you are not ruled by it.
It is base and shameful to be ruled by emotion, to have your higher rationality controlled by the animal instincts. But it is also base to deny one's inherent instincts, as they do serve you and act in your interests.

To numb your fear is to surrender to it, as you have therefore admitted that you cannot face it. If you do not feel fear at all, you are ignorant of the potential dangers.
Know fear, know thyself, and master it.

I already have wisdom of fear; I've felt it, experienced it numerous times. It is embedded in my psyche, therefore I don't, really, need to experience it anymore; I could, technically, have some neurosurgeon alter my brain so I don't feel fear, and I would be able to function like anyone else, even better, actually. I would be able to remember to look both ways before crossing the road, keep my hands away from steaming hot items, know to stay away from predatory animals, etc. My reasoning faculties would remind me of the dangers, not the primal sensation of fear - which has the all too common tendency to paralyze, to inhibit action.

A question: Who do you think would fight more efficiently? The fighter who is overwhelmed with fear ( trembling ), or the fighter who feels no fear?
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Therein lies the necessity for self-mastery. The self is a multitude, a nation, the Will is it's tyrant.

A wise ruler controls his subjects, but also pays heed to their warnings.

Quote :
A question: Who do you think would fight more efficiently? The fighter who is overwhelmed with fear ( trembling ), or the fighter who feels no fear?

The trembler has surrendered to fear, but still has an appreciation of danger; he knows the risks, and fears them.

The other is a bit vague. How does he not feel fear? Is he numbed, medicated? Ignorant? Does he lack the imagination to project possible futures and surmise outcomes and potential risks? Does he not fear his opponent because their skills are so unequal?

Presuming that they are equal in skill, I would say the trembler would win your little pissing contest because fear is a great motivator. Fear of death, pain, humiliation, defeat is what motivates him to win. The other has no motivation, has no desire to win, no instinct of self-preservation, feels nothing.

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 pm

The fighter who feels no fear is sure of himself; he has mastered his art of fighting, and mastered himself, i.e., his impulses. He feels no fear because he is so confident in his abilities. The trembler, on the other hand, is insecure -unsure of himself.

It's not that the fearless fighter has no desire; he does - he wants to win. But for reasons already stated, he is without fear.

Edit: As a boxer, I can attest to the fact that I fight so, so much better when I am cool, calm, and collected. When I am anxious, or nervous, I tense up and feel weaker.

Last edited by Erik on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:36 pm

The human condition, from sex to art, can be understood as dealing with existential anxiety/fear.

It is what Nietzsche called resentiment.
The mind awakening to its own temporal, temporary, essence, and having to come to terms with this.

View user profile http://satyr.canadian-forum.com/
apaosha
Daeva

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Then you have answered your own question.

There is no risk for the confident one, hence no fear. Therefore fear is not the factor in this match, but simply a consequence of the differing skill levels, and so no conclusion can be drawn of the utility of fear as the psychological condition of a fighter.

The trembler is unsure, perhaps because past failures warn him that he will fail again, the other the reverse, experience has proven his abilities as superior. Confidence is the outcome of proving self under duress, under fear. One becomes habituated to the struggle and eventually it becomes a matter of ease. Confidence is the excess of self-mastery, but fear is not gone, just submerged, controlled.

Quote :
Edit: As a boxer, I can attest to the fact that I fight so, so much better when I am cool, calm, and collected. When I am anxious, or nervous, I tense up and feel weaker.

When you are in control, yes.

My point here, and the quote I provided, is to know fear and master it. Not to deny it, or circumvent it, but to accept it as an intrinsic part of self and to control it, make it serve you, work in your interest.
Use it.

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Apaosha wrote:
When you are in control, yes.

My point here, and the quote I provided, is to know fear and master it. Not to deny it, or circumvent it, but to accept it as an intrinsic part of self and to control it, make it serve you, work in your interest.
Use it.

I see what you are saying, and I agree.

It would be more noble to confront fear and conquer it, as opposed to trying to negate it, or numb it, though being numb to it is still preferable over being ruled by it. My intention is to face it and master it. I made a post about this a couple days ago stating that I plan on going into a very isolated wilderness for a couple days by myself to meditate on death in the attempt to overcome the fear of it.

Have you mastered the fear of death, Apaosha?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Mastery is a process.
Mastery of fear is the control of it.
Like controlling a raging animal - the point is not sedating it but controlling its potential as a raging animal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Anfang wrote:
Mastery is a process.
Mastery of fear is the control of it.
Like controlling a raging animal - the point is not sedating it but controlling its potential as a raging animal.

Very succinct.

I concur.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:16 am

Bit of a time waster, but what's everyone's star sign?

I'm a Scorpio... although my birthday in October seems to be on the cusp of Libra/Scorpio
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 am

perpetualburn wrote:

I'm a Scorpio... although my birthday in October seems to be on the cusp of Libra/Scorpio

Cancer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Question of the day:

If you were somehow forced to choose between saving the life of your beloved dog, or the child of another ( a cute little girl - blue eyes and blonde hair ), which would you save?

I asked a similar question not too long ago, but no tricks this time.

Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Erik wrote:
Question of the day:

If you were somehow forced to choose between saving the life of your beloved dog, or the child of another ( a cute little girl - blue eyes and blonde hair ), which would you save?

I asked a similar question not too long ago, but no tricks this time.
If it was a cute little girl, I'd save the girl.

If it was an ugly little boy, I'd save my dog.

Now, what if it was an ugly little girl, or a cute little boy versus your dog?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm

perpetualburn wrote:

What's the apprehension of disclosing one's birth date on here? What kind of security risk could it possibly pose?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Questions Box

Back to top Go down

Random Questions Box
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next