Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Thermodynamics and Entropy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Recidivist wrote:
phoneutria wrote:
Clearly it does matter, as evidenced by this thread.

There is nothing wrong with Boltzman's construct. It's brilliant. The problem is that people tend to completely misinterpret it due to his use of words, as evidenced by this thread.

You prematurely criticized Anfang's example of the atoms in two chambers mixing as having nothing to do with increasing disorder, when it corresponds exactly with Boltzman's law and thought.

sigh...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Both containers are in a "messy" state, which we call entropic equilibrium, and what Boltzman called maximum disorder because he saw fit to describe it as such.
They are exactly the same, same content, same temperature, the only difference is that the first container is smaller.
Which one is more disorderly? Neither. They are both as "messy" as they can be, since they are at maximum entropy.
But which one has the highest entropy value? The second one, simply because it is bigger.

That is because Boltzman's theorem is not about order. It is about possible states. A bigger container has a larger area for energy to dissipate in, and therefore it allow for more states. The only thing Boltzman was concerned about was distribution of energy. In fact, it is misleading to even think of those balls as molecules. They are symbolic representations of energy.

Does that help?

You started this thread in an apparent intention to understand and explore thermodynamics. Now your agenda is clear to me. It seems to me all you want to do is have a petty argument about race, using an erroneous view of thermodynamics to support it. that has nothing at all to do with the subject in any way. Pardon if I don't reciprocate.
Joke is on me for giving you another chance.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:15 pm

That wasn't the illustration being discussed.
It was this one:

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:17 pm

I am using part two of that same image to explain the distinction between disorder and entropy.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:20 pm

phoneutria wrote:
You started this thread in an apparent intention to understand and explore thermodynamics. Now your agenda is clear to me. It seems to me all you want to do is have a petty argument about race, using an erroneous view of thermodynamics to support it. that has nothing at all to do with the subject in any way.

This isn't a physics website for helping people with their homework.
We have our own ideas which we seek to build upon using insights from science.

So this is really about your expectations rather than our failure to reproduce mainstream scientific thinking.

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:24 pm

That is very well Recidivist. But don't simply assume that my unwillingness to participate indicates incapacity. I have just ran out of patience for your ramblings.
Or do, suit yourself. I don't care.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:26 pm

phoneutria wrote:
But which one has the highest entropy value? The second one, simply because it is bigger.

That is because Boltzman's theorem is not about order. It is about possible states. A bigger container has a larger area for energy to dissipate in, and therefore it allow for more states. The only thing Boltzman was concerned about was distribution of energy. In fact, it is misleading to even think of those balls as molecules. They are symbolic representations of energy.

Does that help?

I'm afraid you're wrong.
The second container is bigger, but so are the particles by the same degree.
Therefore, the particles have the same number of possible states as in the smaller container.

Both have the same entropy value.

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Only because I was too lazy to keep the size of the particles the same. But I wrote that they have the same content.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:45 pm

What is order?

If I have a messy room - what it means is that the components within it are not arranged according to a pattern but randomly all over the place.

If I have a very big room and I drop the things that I pick up randomly all over the place then there is a higher probability that all the objects will not be at their designated place (the pattern, whatever it might be).

If it's a smaller room with fewer possibilities to drop objects randomly then there is a higher probability that some of the objects will by chance be dropped where they are supposed to be (according to some pattern).

Increase of volume, isothermal (at constant temperature) increases entropy.
I don't see the problem with the word order and disorder being associated with entropy - it's probably an issue with feelings or something.

Boltzman's theorem is used in thermodynamics to describe the so called ideal gas. This gas contains particles without volume, without mass and without interactive forces between its atoms.

For a kind of gas which comes close to this theoretical ideal gas, like hydrogen gas, the theoretical calculations are very close to the real gas.
For more massive gas particles the equations are modified by adding features like excluding the volume of the particles themselves, modeling the interactions between the molecules and so forth - after that the theoretical simulations are again, a very good approximation of the behavior of the real gas.

The underlying ideas of Boltzman are always present.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 pm

If you throw all of your things up in the air inside your room, and specifically wish that a sock ends up hanging over the ceiling fan, a pair of trousers near the door, shoes on the nightstand, pencils under the pillow, etc, that is as unlikely as ending up with a neat room. One is messy, one is neat, same entropy.
It is not about order. It is about probability.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Probability is not about order?

Let's defer to the official narrative, and return refreshed with brilliance.

Probability is not synonymous with order...as in predictable, restriction of possibility, pattern?

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm

One specific state of order and one specific state of disorder have the exact same probability.
Two systems with the exact same order can have different entropy quotients.
Am I speaking a foreign language?

Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm

If you toss your red, blue and green shirts all over the place, without thought, odds are, they won't arrange themselves into much of a pattern, they'll be some reds with reds, some reds with blues, and some reds with greens. However, the fact that they're all on the floor, and not above it or below it, is itself a pattern. Water would seep through the floor, and balloons would rise above the floor. Objects arrange themselves on planet earth, and elsewhere, everywhere, according to mass, density, and the elements and compounds their composed of. The weak head to the periphery, the strong head to the core. The difference between different colored clothing is slight, therefore, the laws of physics don't perceivably arrange them, the difference between matter/energy in general is not slight, therefore, the laws of physics perceivably arrange them.

It's relative.

These things aren't just a matter of observation, it takes a metaphysician, to interpret them correctly. Therefore, a philosopher, or a highly philosophically minded person, may trump even a physicist, who can't think outside standard conceptualizations, which may be contradictory and inconsistent.

Last edited by Divergense on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 pm

A pattern is, therefore, not order, in that it is a predictable activity/behavior which can be measured by a probability quotient?

How would one measure randomness?

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:11 pm

If any predictable state is order, and all states are predictable, then there is no disorder.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:14 pm

ALL states are predictable?
Sounds like a faith based religion to me.

How arrogant that a human would consider all possible states predictable.

So, a random state would NOT be predictable and so not discernible...not measurable.
The only states would be the ones where some pattern was already present, which would make it predictable.

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:19 pm

That's the underlying concept of the chaos theory. It proposes that all states are predictable if all variables are controlled, which is an entirely hypothetical situation, obviously.

The universe tends to unpredictability, which is not quite the same as randomness. When you don't understand something, it does not mean that it is breaking the laws of nature.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm

I know dear...and that's the Alexandrian mythology of what I call secular humanism
All that is, can be known.
Sweets, that you do not understand something does not mean you can understand it, either.
You are an arrogant imbecile.
Just admit it.

And you are its bitch.

Christians have faith that all is geared towards their salvation - they deserve it.
You, and your kind, have been raised ion the bullshit that you, being human, can know all that is.

Nihilism = one mystifies towards the positive, the other demystifies, again, towards the positive.

Last edited by Satyr on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:23 pm

phoneutria wrote:
If any predictable state is order, and all states are predictable, then there is no disorder.
Exactly, it's all relative.

The truth of the matter is, order and chaos are relative.

A general principle which may not be exactly relative, is, things tend to oscillate between order and disorder, from atoms to galaxies, and everything in between, things tend to assemble, dissemble, and reassemble, and there's some assembling in every dissembling and some dissembling in every assembling. The earth, and everything on it, including nonlife, is full of fractal orders, and molecules assembling themselves to form complex patterns, and these patterns arranging themselves to form more complex patterns.

And there is no absolutely closed system, systems are relatively closed or open, what happens in a manmade jar, isn't a closed system, it's effected by the earth, and the earth is effected by the sun, and sun is effected by the milkyway, and the milkyway is effected by every single thing in the cosmos, and in any case, arrangements are indeed, going on inside the jar, according to substance, not style, relatively meaningful differentiation, not relatively superficial, like color, and so on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Satyr wrote:
I know dear...and that's the Alexandrian mythology of what I call secular humanism
All that is, can be known.
Sweets, that you do not understand something does not mean you can understand it, either.
You are an arrogant imbecile.
Just admit it.

And you are its bitch.

Christians have faith that all is geared towards their salvation - they deserve it.
You, and your kind, have been raised ion the bullshit that you, being human, can know all that is.

Nihilism = one mystifies towards the positive, the other demystifies, again, towards the positive.

It is not my theory. I am merely stating it as accepted by the scientific mainstream. If you have a problem with it, you should probably write to the American Institute of Physics or one of it's counterparts worldwide.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Divergense wrote:
phoneutria wrote:

A general principle which may not be exactly relative, is, things tend to oscillate between order and disorder, from atoms to galaxies, and everything in between, things tend to assemble, dissemble, and reassemble, and there's some assembling in every dissembling and some dissembling in every assembling. The earth, and everything on it, including nonlife, is full of fractal orders, and molecules assembling themselves to form complex patterns, and these patterns arranging themselves to form more complex patterns.

And there is no absolutely closed system, systems are relatively closed or open, what happens in a manmade jar, isn't a closed system, it's effected by the earth, and the earth is effected by the sun, and sun is effected by the milkyway, and the milkyway is effected by every single thing in the cosmos, and in any case, arrangements are indeed, going on inside the jar, according to substance, not style, relatively meaningful differentiation, not relatively superficial, like color, and so on.

The only closed system that exists, as far as we know, is the entire cosmos. But even on that the jury is still out. It is a difficult thing to prove/disprove, but the answer could close a lot of gaps in our knowledge... or as it is usual open a whole lot more gaps.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Yes, you are regurgitating the official narrative...which is what you have always only been capable of doing.
At the same time you present yourself as a defender of what is right and true and pleasing...a female not like every other...
At the same time you present yourself as a fuckin' mouthpiece for official doctrine....

Now the conundrum can be broken by either you admitting you are a hypocrite or that the official doctrine is the ONLY one.
It is final, absolute, the END.

Which one is it, you dumb cunt?

The established narrative is accessible to ALLL. you imbecile. You are hot the only one with a google capability.
I can YouTube shit also.
You do not have a monopoly on the community data.

It's the interpretation you stupid woman.
If you wish to propose the idea that this age is the end of all ages, that knowledge has reached an end...and that this Modern time is the epitome of all modernity, then do so.
If not, you are another parrot....another simply, woman.

If philosophy, you dumb cunt, was about the simply regurgitation of whatever scientific or spiritual dogma was most popular, or dominant, then what use would we have for it?
Then women, like you and effete males, like PDitty, and simpleton hedonistic materialists, like shit-Stain, would dominate.
Then nobody, including you you, hypocritical dumb cunt, would be on-line...seeking, hungry.

Last edited by Satyr on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:36 pm

There is no doctrine. There is mainstream acceptance of theories, which are peer reviewed and understood using the scientific method, but contesting of theories is a constant and very positive aspect of the scientific method. Please do write your observations to the Academy of Physics, I am sure that they'll be pleased. Careful with your math, though. They're strict, not just any old bullshit will do.
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Entropy is still so closely related with order and disorder that it suits our purposes to continue using the term as well as providing a larger context in which evolutionary events take place against a cosmic background.

Quote :
One of the simpler entropy order/disorder formulas is that derived in 1984 by thermodynamic physicist Peter Landsberg, based on a combination of thermodynamics and information theory arguments. He argues that when constraints operate on a system, such that it is prevented from entering one or more of its possible or permitted states, as contrasted with its forbidden states, the measure of the total amount of "disorder" in the system is given by:[44][45]

Similarly, the total amount of "order" in the system is given by:

In which CD is the "disorder" capacity of the system, which is the entropy of the parts contained in the permitted ensemble, CI is the "information" capacity of the system, an expression similar to Shannon's channel capacity, and CO is the "order" capacity of the system.[43]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Recidivist on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:38 pm

There is not THE order. But that doesn't mean that all patterns are equally viable, depending on what is being talked about.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:39 pm

My field is metaphysics, not the ongoing accumulation of scientific data, we call physics.
See SupderString Theory and Quantum mechanics to see the dead-end Physics has reached.

META-Physics.

Meta, as in before and/or after.

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Recidivist wrote:
Entropy is still so closely related with order and disorder that it suits our purposes to continue using the term as well as providing a larger context in which evolutionary events take place against a cosmic background.

If it suits you to be incorrect, I am not about to stop you.
I'll simply disregard everything you say.
Welcome to the fringe.

Last edited by phoneutria on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Divergense

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

phoneutria wrote:
Divergense wrote:
phoneutria wrote:

The only closed system that exists, as far as we know, is the entire cosmos. But even on that the jury is still out. It is a difficult thing to prove/disprove, but the answer could close a lot of gaps in our knowledge... or as it is usual open a whole lot more gaps.
Right, because the universe might be infinite in size/scope. I suspect that it is, because things are probably infinitely divisible, because something indivisible would contradict everything visible, which is divisible, and if everything is divisible, then the total mass of the cosmos is infinite, and you can't draw a border around something infinite, if you say it ends here, look closer, magnify it, if not a billion fold, then a trillion fold, and so on, eventually and inevitably you're bound to see something beyond it, or moving beyond any parameter which your minds eye can draw.

Last edited by Divergense on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Divergense wrote:

Right, because the universe might be infinite. I suspect that it is, because things are probably infinitely divisible, because something indivisible would contradict everything visible, which are divisible, and if everything is divisible, then the total mass of the cosmos is infinite, and you can't draw a border around something infinite, if you say it ends here, look closer, magnify it, if not a billion fold, then a trillion fold, and so on, and you're bound to see something beyond it, or moving beyond any parameter which you can draw.

Sort of. More specifically, the laws of thermodynamics state that in a close system, 1. energy is always conserved and 2. energy dissipation tends to equilibrium. Thus we are in an open system if we are receiving energy from outside, or losing energy to the outside. Though since "infinite" implies that there is no such thing as the outside, you are correct.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:53 pm

The Bible says....

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 3:00 pm

A bible of physical observable evidence, measured, calculated, reproduceable, scrutinized and peer reviewed, and open to be contested by anyone who wishes to provide evidence of otherwise.

Not a perfect system, but it works well and beats any other by a long, long shot. Evidence: the computer you're using right now, combustion engines, the fact you don't freeze to death living in Canada, et cetera ad nauseum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermodynamics and Entropy Thermodynamics and Entropy - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thermodynamics and Entropy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: