Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Jarno

Jarno

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:21 am

Exactly my thoughts, MI 2 is great in the beginning, but after going to the jungle I lost interest.

Yeah, I think they take the self-demeaning humour too far, especially in tales of monkey islands which is why I don't play them. It would have been a better direction if Guybrush actually had become something great after being a rookie, like the intro music is very heroic sounding instead they just keep making the main character more ridiculous and cowardly.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:43 am

In Monkey Island 1 Guybrush makes light of himself but he's pretty much always the smartest cookie in the room. He might not have much experience but he has potential, he masters it and he gets the girl at the end.

In MI 2 Guybrush is this 'adorable loser' type and he relishes being that type and he seems to enjoy being it, being a doofus.

Also, MI 1 has some jokes which are not in your face, like the outlook of Melee Island who is blind. But from what I remember, he doesn't explicitly mention that he is blind, you just see it from how he behaves. Key here is that the word 'blind' is never mentioned, it is shown via other techniques, hinted at.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 8:24 am

Anfang wrote:
It's great!
I think this has in part also to do with the technology and the art-style.
The original game had a quite reduced color palette, the characters were very simple and so they could pass as place holders for something more realistic. They left it over to the imagination of the player.
Then the graphics improved a bit and more details became visible, it became more cartoony, not only in art-style but also in the story and characters. Day of the Tentacle is the most extreme form of that pixel cartoonish style and I think that's why I never felt like wanting to play it.
I like the art-style of MI 3 much more. It's cartoonish as well but it's somehow very different. Much better aesthetics somehow, especially compared to a Day of the Tentacle which looks plain ugly to me - a sort of clownish composition.

There are so much small details, like the architecture, It's almost like Mêlée Island is colonized by Germans/French. EDIT: I don't know what those button pants that Guybrush is wearing are called, but I call them settler clothes.
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Monkey-island-in-real-life

I liked all the cannons and the ruins of these abandoned forts, it did really capture my imagination back then
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Scummvm02659
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Latest?cb=20150221004000

Last edited by Jarno on Mon May 16, 2016 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 8:46 am

Anfang wrote:
Also, MI 1 has some jokes which are not in your face, like the outlook of Melee Island who is blind. But from what I remember, he doesn't explicitly mention that he is blind, you just see it from how he behaves. Key here is that the word 'blind' is never mentioned, it is shown via other techniques, hinted at.

Yeah, light humour is great, you don't have to burst laughing at everything.

What I love the most are all the diverse personalities. Even all the minor/side characters are very funny personalities and memorable, which is something that is missing in modern games. Why can't they make/write personalities/characters anymore? It's almost like the entire mood/atmosphere of a location is reflected by the characters that reside there.
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Troll

Cannibal natives that became vegetarians
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Full20050121123827

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Melee Island's architecture is quite continental European in style, especially the layout, true. Must be part of why it felt so familiar in a way. Also, there is only two black people on the whole island, one is the voodoo lady and the other the female 'sword' master. And both of them talk rather European as well, as in their personality.

Which is actually kind of bad, in general I mean. Because I think if especially young people would have been exposed to more honest and accurate depictions of blacks, they may would have been less euphoric about the outlook of being such an 'enlightened' and 'unbiased' person who doesn't care about the hue of the skin.

Herman Toothrot is hilarious.
I think the character which I liked best was the old shopkeeper on Melee Island. He has many similarities with Toothrot but less naive/crazy, more bitter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Jarno wrote:
I've always hated MMORPG's with their microtransactions and monthly subscriptions, waste of money and time since once you get to certain level there is nothing to do and the story is always garbage which no one even has time read because you need to grind fast to max level...And MMORPG's are not well balanced so there are certain builds and classes that are way more powerful than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powergaming

I don't think you even lose your inventory and weapons in PVP fights like for example in diablo 2 there is nothing at stake, in Tera online there is only 1 weapon for each class which is beyond retarded.

So I consider MMORPG's the decline of RPG's, cheap way to make money

1. You don't need a story (fluff/setting does not count as a story), and even if there is a mediocre story it's not very focused and you don't even give a shit about it while grinding your level.
2. Developers can extend the game by making few new quests and increasing max level $$$.
3. Not only buying the game is enough to play it, you have to pay monthly subscription to play it.
4. You can't get best items/enchants without microtransactions, pay to win
Ye, mmorgps are fast foods of gaming industry - simply creating their attractiveness and mass following by relying on triggering and taking advantage of primitive human responses, not actually creating any interesting content.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Which console is better X-Box or PS-4?
Want to buy one for my son...if he gets between 95-100 on his exams.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 1:47 pm

I'd say PS4 even though I don't advocate consoles, Bloodborne/Dark Souls is good enough reason to get playstation and I don't think you can get MGS (Metal Gear Solid) for xbox.

I don't know how PS4 store works, but it might have a lot of fun indie games available that can be bought and downloaded so make sure you got online connection for the console, also for the possible online matches
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 3:09 pm

If I were to buy a console now, I'd go with a PS4.
Hardware performance is better therefore the games tend to always look a bit sharper or play a bit smoother than on the Xbox One.
Target audience is a slightly more mature on PS4, with some of its titles.
Statistically it's more likely that his friends also have a PS4, which would be good for game swapping or playing online with/versus his friends.

Depending on the habits, I'd personally be okay with the 500 GB version which is usually cheaper than the 1TB versions. The difference is about convenience.

And

which is exclusive for PS4

And
Dark Souls 3 which is pretty much like Bloodborne.

Edit - Oh and some protective caps for the controller thumb sticks, rumor has it that the rubber wears and tears out rather quickly without them.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:03 am

I read that "The PS4 uses a "modified" HD 7870 AMD which is comparable to an NVidia GTX 580, 660 ". I heard that heavier games run at 900p 30fps and that lighter games at 1080p 60fps max on Xbox One.

I have GTX 960, 1080 is coming this year and also new AMD
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Screen12
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:10 am

Rayman Legends is the best Jump'n'Run game on the PS4.
I played the predecessor at a friend's house and especially with two players it can be lots of fun.

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:25 am

Jarno wrote:
I read that "The PS4 uses a "modified" HD 7870 AMD which is comparable to an NVidia GTX 580, 660 ". I heard that heavier games run at 900p 30fps and that lighter games at 1080p 60fps max on Xbox One.

On PS4 most major titles run at either 1080p or 900p  @30fps, depending on the graphical complexity.
Depending on the game, the Xbox One is usually a bit worse fps wise and dips more often below the 30fps or they run the game at 900p while it's 1080p on the PS4, or something equivalent.

Game library wise I'd recommend a PC for about 600$ with potentially a graphics card upgrade in a few years. Games are quite a lot cheaper on PC if bought, even zero if pirated but it's also a matter of convenience which is just less hassle on a console, usually.

I think a console is a good idea if you are looking to play relatively few games and you don't have the expertise, nor nerves, nor time to get familiar with PC gaming/the higher initial costs.

If you are looking to play strategy games then there is no way around a PC anyway.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:30 am

I prefer the console for its ease and because it can double for a BlueRay player.
No possibility for Civilization-like games on PS4 or XBox?

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:49 am

Nope, since it would be very inconvenient to play mouse games and strategy games with a controller, they'd have to dumb it down to make a port. I myself use Xbox controller for my PC if I need to play games designed for consoles and I buy all of my games for/from Steam since I have no CD drive.

This site for example sells Steam keys, if Steam itself doesn't have nothing you want on weekly sales Bundlestars have often very good discounts (30-90%).
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/

I stopped piracy maybe 2 years ago since Steam is so much more convenient.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

Satyr wrote:
I prefer the console for its ease and because it can double for a BlueRay player.
No possibility for Civilization-like games on PS4 or XBox?

I haven't seen any classic strategy games on the PS4 or Xbox in the vein of a Civilization, haven't seen any traditional strategy games at all on it, actually.

Most turn-based strategy games have rather low system requirements on a PC. And the better ones are usually a bit older as well.

Normal Blu-Ray discs should play find on a PS4, I think, but the new UHD-Blu-Ray standard is not supported. That standard will likely be supported with the new revision of the PS4 which will come out in early 2017.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 8:00 am

I use pirated repacks which come with simple installers which install all the DLCs and that stuff automatically but you usually can't use multiplayer, at least not conveniently and you can't have it all on day one.
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:41 pm

PC > PS4 > Xbox

Is it even possible to run pirated games on the newest generation consoles? Buying original copies of games is very expensive.

On PC not only can you easily pirate any game you want, you can also use simulator programs to simulate a console, so you can play PS1 and PS2 games on PC, by now probably PS3 too, and of course a lot of games from other consoles. Not to mention numerous other things you can do on PC aside from gaming that can't be done on consoles.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Autsider wrote:
Is it even possible to run pirated games on the newest generation consoles? Buying original copies of games is very expensive.

There is something software based in the works for PS4 and there is a chance that if one buys a console just now with Firmware version 3.5 or lower, that there will be pirated games available in the future but nothing released yet, as far as I know. And of course, one has to avoid going online and getting the mandatory online firmware updates which would fix potential security holes. All in all quite a lot of effort and no guarantees.

I have a quite old Windows PC (Athlon X2 5200+) which I use for playing old games up to Europa Universalis IV and I've been thinking about building a new one. It would be a near silent PC with an i5 with integrated graphics and potentially buying one of the upcoming Polaris cards from AMD as a future upgrade.

I have seen a video recently about the why the future of AMD looks actually quite bright and Nvidia's actually not so much in terms of graphic cards.
That Scotsman likes AMD over NVIDIA but I find that he's making good arguments -

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Just getting SSD changes everything drastically, my PC reboots in 30 seconds if not less. Say goodbye to the loading screen.

What makes PC better is that you can mod your games as you like...Modding communities are very dedicated so the mods do not feel amateurish, they complete the game and make it better than original. (Not only making new content, but fixing interface and game balance etc.)

Steam workshop has great mods, I doubt they would have removed this if it was under different name. Paradox is a Swedish company so what do you expect.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/24/11760696/paradox-removes-discriminatory-mod-that-removed-non-white-races-from-stellaris

I need a similar mod for XCOM...In Enemy Within I had only a mod that upgraded visuals/graphics and removed some unnecessary animations.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Anfang wrote:

I have seen a video recently about the why the future of AMD looks actually quite bright and Nvidia's actually not so much in terms of graphic cards.
That Scotsman likes AMD over NVIDIA but I find that he's making good arguments -

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/nvidias-latest-drivers-can-cause-your-pc-to-stop-responding-303291.html

Nvidia drivers have been causing a lot of trouble for a some time now so I wouldn't mind changing to AMD...
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 7:38 am

Finally vehicles, Heavy Machine Guns and winter maps coming out on june. Great example of a indie game, Squad is the most realistic military simulator out there. I've often talked to guys on the squad radio who told they were actual soldiers that were being stationed somewhere. (Danish, American etc)

Alpha 6, not even beta release yet, so they also need to make more optimization updates because everyone experiences FPS drops. Edit: Oh, wait it says this update comes today at 17 UTC
http://steamcommunity.com/games/squad/announcements/detail/889837960354708666
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 CVITgHZUEAAl1Ww

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 50cal3

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 M2a1emplacement2

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Btr80_1

I think you can drive these vehicles only in first person, so the drivers view is going to be limited. The players who get onboard can't see much at all, only when they get out of the vehicle on a destination. It adds so much to the experience when you might feel disoriented when getting out. The maps are so huge that you'd get lost anyway without a map (even with a map it can be hard to find to a right location and position yourself). It would be great if only the squad leader had a map and the rest of the squad only had a compass.

Squad is made so well that you cannot play solo at all, you will always have to take a role, join a squad and communicate. Squad leaders communicate with each other on the command radio and share their plans and inform other members what is going on, without that you have no idea what is going on. It's not possible to go solo like in Battlefield and get as much frags/headshots as possible. You don't even have to force these rules and pretend to be in a squad because it's the game mechanism. You always have to depend on your squad and you can't go solo against a fully functioning squad.

So this is not the type of game where you win by shooting as much as possible, communication between squad members and leaders is what wins the matches so there is so much strategy involved unlike in other shooters.
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 10:29 am

I decided to shortly revisit League of Legends, an MMO I used to play that is now the most played game in the world. I was interested in seeing what changes they made, the last time I turned on the game was in 2014 I think.

They added more things to keep people addicted to the game and playing, there is still this first win of the day thing, which basically gives you almost 5 times the reward in terms of points than an ordinary game. Then you can gain 4 chests per week, and you get them by playing a lot with the same champion, another thing to keep people playing. The good thing is that the game is a bit more balanced now and previously useless champions have been made useful, while the overpowered ones were made more balanced but still retained the essence of what makes them interesting to play.

There is also a new kind of queue that lets you pick your role before the champion select screen, which is nice to me, and it's something that people demanded for a long time. Sadly, the game is still focused exclusively on 5v5 game mode. I prefer 3v3 due to it being more personal and me having more influence in the game.

The average player is worse than before, but he flames less and trash talks less and there isn't as much AFKing/Leaving due to strict and immediate penalties for all those things. Of course, occasionally you do get a Polish duo feeding and spamming the chat with unintelligible profanities the entire game, but so does the enemy team. It's sad how many bad players there still are.

All in all, I played for about a week, tried the new champs, then played a bit with my old favorites, and quit.

It's not really worth playing consistently unless you intend going pro and making money off of it.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 11:25 am

LoL, Smite, Dota etc are called more specifically MOBA. (Multiplayer online battle arena)

They basically stole all the champions (abilities) from dota and made some slight changes and got rich by stealing an idea from a FREE warcraft 3 mod. Everything about it was unoriginal, unfunny humours, stupid memes, retarded half-assed story nobody gives a shit about.

Original dota was 5 vs 5 so that's the game mode I preferred the most, 2 bot lane, 1 middle, 1 top, 1 jungle. They have nerfed and reworked many champions and ruined them in the process. And yeah, it's a good reason to choose not to play online game based on what kind of players it has.

The most recent disgusting MOBA rip-off's are called Battleborn and Overwatch. 50-60 € for a fps MOBA and people actually buy this...
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptySat May 28, 2016 1:34 pm

Everyone likes murder mysteries, right?

FMV muder mystery, low budget, but brilliant

Surprisingly fun with a right mindset
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 6:02 pm

I've been playing Warface lately. It's a free Multiplayer game made by Crytek, the developers of Crysis. I also played it a bit in 2014.

Short description:

There are 2 modes:
1) PvE - player vs enemy, a group of players versus the computer on random missions, only mode I play, at least for now
2) PvP - player vs player

Very similar mechanics to Call of Duty, but a bit more tactical, somewhere between a simulator and an arcade but strongly leaning to arcade.

There are 4 classes, and the class system is more or less well made in my opinion:
1) Rifleman - main damage dealer of the team, medium-range fighter, special ability to replenish ammo
2) Medic - Has a shotgun, only useful in close combat and even then not so much due to slow fire rate. Nevertheless, a MUST have in a team due to his ability to heal and, most importantly, revive fallen teammates.
3) Engineer - Uses an SMG, excels at CQC, his specialty is restoring armor and creating choke points with various anti-personell explosives.
4) Sniper - No special ability but the only class able to fight effectively at long-range, necessary in some PvE missions to counter long-range, high priority enemies who can otherwise erase the entire team.

The graphics, animations, etc. are decent as one would expect from Crytek, in fact, it is the best free FPS I can still run flawlessly on my old rig. Probably the best free FPS overall. CoD type quality but better IMO.

So far so good.
Cons?

It isn't exactly pay to win, but, it is MUCH easier to get good items by paying for them than grinding like a retard. Which is why I don't play PvP - I refuse to pay a cent for a video game.

Each day there are 6 different missions to complete: 1 easy (not worth playing), 2 normal, 2 hard, and 1 insane (not worth playing unless you're really good and have a good team). The con here is that they aren't always really 'different' in that there are overall about 20 missions and they are on constant rotation, so if you play every day about a week you'll have seen it all. But I've only played for some 2 weeks now, so I don't mind it yet. The quality of gameplay compensates for the slight repetitiveness. The missions take about 10-15 minutes on average to complete.

Overall a decent game, satisfies my FPS needs.

mannequin

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 7:34 pm

I've recently discovered steam.. installed Quake Live, I'm surprised to see that it still maintains a following after all this time. It's the type game you can endlessly play without getting bored.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Jagged Alliance 2
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 5150-jagged-alliance-2-windows-inside-cover

It got released in 1999 and is based on a quite modified version of the Fallout engine.
What it does have in common with Fallout is the blending of real-time and turn-based elements.

The premise of the game is that you are hired by the de-throned monarch of the small fictional country Arulco to take it back from his Romanian wife Deidranna who framed him for the killing of his father.

You are provided with some small initial funds which you can use to hire a few individual mercenaries and the deal is that you have to provide your own income to keep paying your mercenaries, buy equipment by convincing the local silver miners to work for you after you have secured the various villages and their loyalty by winning skirmishes against the local forces under the command of Deidranna.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 10-update2_10

There is a strategic layer and a tactical layer to the game.
On the strategic layer you see the country divided into sectors, like a chess board. Many of those sectors are countryside, some are villages with adjacent mines, some are anti-air (SAM) bases; villages usually span multiple sectors.
There is a day and night cycle in the game and it takes about 2 in-game hours for your mercenaries to move between two sectors.
The idea is that from your landing point, in a small area controlled by desperate allied rebels, you make your way to a small village, get rid of the hostiles there, convince the local head of mining to work for you and then invest in training some local militia to hold the village because there will be counter attacks.
The way it usually works is that you have your elite mercenary combat squad, who are the best you can afford and you equip them with the best hardware you can find or buy. They do most of the attacking and fighting while you have the less martially capable mercenaries and local recruits do all the equipment repair and maintenance, the training of local militia, being doctors and healing the injured members (which takes quite a lot of time, no magic health packs in this game) and so on.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Ja2_2

The second part of the game is the tactical battles, which is the meat of the gameplay.
Once your mercenaries have arrived in a hostile sector, the tactical battle ensues.
As long as you are out of sight of the enemy (or you haven’t spotted any yet yourself) the game is in real-time. In this phase you can move your squad quicker into position.
Once you have spotted or have been spotted by an enemy, the game goes into a turn-based mode.

A short overview of the hidden complexity of the simulation -
You wear different pieces of body armour which provide, depending on their kind and condition, a certain amount of protection. If you wear a Kevlar helmet, a non-armour piercing round shot at the head will inflict only about let’s say 10% of total health damage. It also depends on the specific caliber which was used, the weapon and firing distance. No helmet and getting shot in the head up close is maybe about 80% of total health damage, if it’s a hollow-point bullet then it’s almost certain death; if up-close then even with an exploding head animation. But a helmet does not protect the torso or legs and vice versa. Also, severe head injuries ofter lower the intelligence of a mercenary, permanently. Similar effects for crippled legs or wounded shoulders for agility and dexterity.
As health gets lower, so does combat performance, speed, accuracy, dexterity, energy; they are all lowered severely when the status becomes poor or critical.
If you get shot then you have to bandage the wound to stop it from bleeding and losing even more health over time.
Below 15% of total health a soldier collapses and becomes unconscious. At this point he has to be bandaged by another merc or he will slowly bleed out. Injuries which drop the total health below 10% of health lower the total maximum health of the soldier permanently.
If you encounter a heavily armoured soldier and you do almost no damage with your non-armour-piercing bullets, you can still fire at him and this will drain his energy (stamina) until he will collapse eventually. Obviously you need to seriously outgun him for this to work out in your favour. Hitting him with bullets will also lower the condition of his worn armour. With enough hits at the torso, keeping on firing will eventually do increased damage per round.
Always make your self into a very small target, so cower behind any cover which you can find and stop the enemies from flanking you exposing a larger surface of your body for their shots. Likewise try to attack from two angles if possible because there will usually be some angle from which the enemy will have to expose himself more. Don’t get outflanked yourself in the process.
Never move alone because you can’t even retreat properly if others are not covering you, holding the advancing enemy back, pinning them down for you to get out of their effective range.
The game works with an interruption mechanic. If a new soldier moves around a corner into your field of vision then the game determines who gets the first turn or an interruption of the enemy turn (or you get interrupted). What determines who gets the first turn or interruption is the experience level of the soldiers involved; Who is moving into sight and who was lying in ambush; Has the movement been stealthy (slower form of movement); Which direction are the soldiers facing - all those factors are used to determine who gets the first turn and it’s usually one turn which is the difference between killing or getting killed/badly injured.

Every turn a soldier has a certain amount of action-points at his disposal which depend on his condition, like his health, sleep deprivation, agility stat and so on. Moving in a crouched position takes fewer action points than moving in a prone position; using an assault weapon takes fewer APs to fire a shot. Aiming more accurately also takes increasing amounts of APs. Getting shot at, even if they are missing, may also trigger the mercenary to change his position involuntarily and or lose action points in the next round, depending on his mental condition (e.g. getting pinned down).

Because there are many elements to the mechanics which are not immediately obvious or precisely calculable by the player. The tactics used are not an autistic number crunching event. You have to work with probabilities, uncertainties and it becomes a game about tactics and not about a solving a puzzle.
It’s also the reason why the game is easy to get into and yet has a very high skill ceiling for tactics and carefulness (Alt+S and Alt+L for quicksaving and loading are a beginners friend, later it’s the best experience to live with the mistakes which have been made; an ironman mode is optional at the start of the game).

Sometimes it might be better to take a hit - Once you have your first village under control and trained some militia Deidranna will send several powerful groups of enemy soldiers to take it back. They may be too powerful, too well equipped, too many, too tough for you to take them head on. You may have to sacrifice the lives of inexperienced militia you just trained to weaken them before you fight them off.

What gives the game a lot of charm are the mercenaries which come with their individual personalities and relationships with each other.

The Demo for this game should run on pretty much any Windows OS as long as it’s a PC post the year 2000.
It’s a way to quickly get into a tactical battle in a sector specifically crafted to get the player quickly into the meat of the gameplay. What a demo should be.
JA2 Demo
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 3:01 pm

^ I was going to mention this some time ago. I've been playing JA since 99. That's why I got into X-com because I was looking for games like JA 2, but there aren't any really. Though It really pisses me off to play on harder difficulty when it's almost impossible to hold towns with militia and the gold/silver mines deplete so quickly.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Jarno wrote:
^ I was going to mention this some time ago. I've been playing JA since 99. That's why I got into X-com because I was looking for games like JA 2, but there aren't any really. Though It really pisses me off to play on harder difficulty when it's almost impossible to hold towns with militia and the gold/silver mines deplete so quickly.

Same here, I have not seen any turn-based tactic/strategy game which comes even close to JA 2 in terms of gameplay, characters, charm, depth,...
The first time I saw a strategy J-RPG, which was after playing JA2, I thought that it's not even the same genre. The original X-com from around 95 or so was probably really good for its times but it's also maybe 30% of what JA2 is. And the new X-Com games which are also on console do look good but I know that they are also not on the JA2 level either. But that's just my extrapolation from what I've seen.

In JA2 I usually do exclusively night-ops, if I am attacking and have found some night-vision-goggles.
Later, in Alma, there are even the better 2nd gen night-goggles found on some guard, I think.
But you have to know what you are doing, the rules for night-ops are a bit different and mistakes are punished severely because the distance to the enemies is just much closer than during open range daylight battles.

In short, the best night-ops character gets the best nv-vision and equipment overall and is slightly ahead of the rest of the troops. When he spots enemies, then you use the mercs in the back to fire on the enemies that get spotted, either by moving them up to them or by taking 'blind' shots in the direction of the enemy. You want to use your spotter and best mercs only when necessary but of course, you also want to kill all spotted enemies in ever round. The reason is that if some new enemies show up that your spotter gets an interruption turn and still has AP left to take them out.
Also, you don't want to give the position of the spotter away by firing with your gun and the muzzle flash, otherwise you are a grenade throw or burst fire away from a disaster.
Another thing is to always read the text log which gets blended in which tells you from which direction your mercs hear sounds of movement and to react to that. Always move in silent mode when in real time and also back up from time to time so that you avoid getting flanked.
Of course, also use light sources in the area to your advantage and position yourself to lure the enemy into the spotlights.

Night-ops are fast, with low health risk so that you can clean entire villages usually in one night, if done well.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out v1.13 - the unofficial patch.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 3:55 pm

Compared to more modern games the amount of anti-reality ideas in the game-systems is also much lower.

I looked at the 40 mercenaries which are recruitable from the main mercenary organisation in the game (JA2 vanilla).
32 were men, 8 were women.
Then I looked at the strength attributes. The strongest woman has a strength of 76, while the strongest man has a strength of 98 (the maximum would be 99, I think, at least I've never seen 100 but it also becomes exponentially more difficult to train higher and higher levels). Likewise, the physically weakest woman is a bit weaker than the physically weakest man (59 to 55). Overall most men are stronger than the strongest woman.
Intelligence wise (the stat is called wisdom but it functions like intelligence) the most intelligent mercenary is an Australian at 97, while the most intelligent woman is Danish at 93 and they look like an Australian and a Danish, I mean, they could be a genuine local pre-immigration-suicide-pact-policy-enactment.
The average intelligence I think is for both men and women about the same, somewhere in the 80s I estimate, but there are some men who are very intelligent and some men who are quite a bit dumber (at a low of 55) than the dumbest woman who is at 76.

As for the women's personality/role there is one psycho among them and one with an aggressive personality but the others are more of a supportive role and or sharp shooter types and without them there would be much less hilarious dialogue in the game ranging from the vixen type to the ex-wife and ex-husband squad squabbles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next