Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 pm

AutSider wrote:
Kvasir wrote:
Other than that, i had no interest in any other game genre. Hated mind numbing fighting or combat games. There had to be some presence of thematic substance or i simply could not get into it.

Wouldn't you say that it's one of drawbacks of chess, the lack of thematic substance? It can also be considered an advantage that it places focus on the gameplay itself, but I always preferred games which provided a world/atmosphere in which I could immerse myself, instead of just moving faceless pieces on a board. But that's up to personal preference I guess

I don't require a theme for Chess. Chess, unlike video games, is not bound to simulated fantasy constructs that are based on a designed manufactured guide of how to beat it. That's what i never liked about video games in the end, that is, UNLESS, it had some fascinating story line or theme to compensate. Once overcome, the first time, they lose their appeal given that they are limited to a parameter of compliance, of specific elements that are already in place that you follow, over and over. That's where the mind numbing effect comes into play, and that's what turned me off.

Chess offers virtual unlimited challenges. It is a very ancient and unique game that truly exercises logical and strategic thinking abilities. And it's fun. It is a game of masters. You can become lost in its relentless challenges by the need to keep surpassing them and refining your skill. Looking past the fact that they are mere "faceless" pieces as you say, and visualizing a deeper acumen of how and why they are used to play the game, will influence your imagination and creativity. When you read a book, you must visualize and imagine and this stimulates more active neural transmissions and connections. With video games, the visualizations are done for you.

But chess has special deep roots in my past. That and i am very good at it.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 5:03 pm

In real-time video games where actions cannot simply be abstracted into discrete moves or turns, the gameplay comes to be much more about intuitive actions and reactions in the moment.

One reason is that there is an added layer of uncertainty because the time which actions take is not easily determinable. On the other hand, in a turn-based game I know how things are going to align on the timescale and I can plan ahead in a precise manner. I know exactly how many turns it takes for a certain pawn to move a certain distance and so forth.
In a real-time game this precision is not given and therefor precise planning is impossible, especially in planning far ahead.

A second reason is that in real-time games there is a price to be paid for strategic thinking
. Thinking requires time, which is time spent thinking instead of performing actions or at least reducing the thinking-power for things, like being alert or executing said tasks. They are all taking place at the same time after all.

Overall it’s more of a chaotic process where success is usually more dependant on training, on acquiring intuitive responses to given stimuli.
Thinking and planning is helpful but the kind of planning ahead type of thinking is done much more so in preparation ahead of the game and not so much during the game. The thinking is also used to analyse ones own performance and that of the adversary to formulate plans and strategies which are then being executed during the game.

There is time for adaptation and thinking during the real-time game but it’s usually done with larger, already established templates.

Overall, in video games, whether real-time or turn-based, the strategies are not as complex as in a game like chess. Or let's say they can't be planned in a discrete manner far ahead. This is also true for many modern boardgames. But they have often other layers added to them. For example, a board game like Risk is not that complex in its optimising of actions against a single opponent, against multiple players it becomes rather a game about secret or not so secret alliances and anticipating them and the other players personality. - You want to be respected and feared but not hated by the others.

But even this can be pretty well optimised after several games, which brings me to a conclusion about video games and many board games - That they are in terms of the thinking/planning-ahead part not that complex and that the interesting part about them in that particular regard is the figuring them out.
The phase where the player figures out the game mechanics and formulates strategies.
In the later stages, those games become more about intuitive reflexes and APM (actions per minute) if they are real-time. Or they become more of a meditative experience if they are turn-based video games.
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 am

Good post, Anfang. This is also why in some turn-based games you will be given only a limited amount of time to make your turn, or there will be an option for it.

I started playing Mount and Blade: Warband with Floris Expanded mod, it's an excellent mod which adds content/options to the vanilla game without changing basic game mechanics. It's a great action-rpg-rts game set in medieval times with different factions representing different groups throughout history (Mongols, vikings, knights...), what I like about it so far is that it doesn't have a set goal but rather gives you the freedom to do things as you want. I also don't think there's a conventional way of "beating" the game, rather you can "retire" which ends the game and shows you what you accomplished, what the future of your character will be, how you affected the world and so on.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 am

It's like the original Pirates! game (by Sid Meier), except without ship battles and much more detailed land combat from the ego perspective.
I played it for a few hours and I think it's a good game.
Though I suspect that it's best if it were to stick with small 20 or 30 max troops battles.
It's kind of in-between, it's not that good as a single fighter game but neither do you have that much strategic control with larger troops. At least that's my understanding from the little I've seen.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 Siege_10
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm

I prefer battles of under 100 people only because my pc starts to lag at higher quantities. Yeah, it's a blend of all genres, not the best at any but decent enough at all to be fun. It's the only decent game of this kind that I know. Floris adds a deeper strategic and tactical layer to the game and more options than the original game.

The pro and at the same time the con of the game is its realism, which sometimes tries to emphasize certain aspects of realism so much that it ends up becoming unrealistic in the other extreme. For example, instead of walking and running and being generally agile in the game much more than a human can be in reality, as in most other games, here even when you run with no equipment you move like an old lady, but for some reason your opponents can sprint, which can be very frustrating when they decide to flee battle and you can't catch them. Also, just like in reality here a single swing of the sword can kill you.

You can get around some of this stuff by modifying game files (essentially, cheating), so I made my character a bit more resilient and mobile. Aside from that, the game's combat has actually been praised and I agree with much of the praise.

The best thing about the game and the reason to play for me is how it combines all the elements I wanted in a game: 1) medieval setting, 2) freedom for the player to create their own story, and even their own player-created faction, 3) the successful combination of various genres - action, rpg, and strategy. Action medieval games lack the strategic layer of conquering and large battles, and strategy games lack the personal aspect of going to battle yourself alongside your troops.

And most other games with the same theme are either badly done, and/or try to impose some story and limitations on the player. In some of them you are forced to follow the story even if you disagree with it, and even if you are a magician who can call meteors from the sky, create thunderstorms and shoot fireballs, you must abide by certain political rules. Like in Dragon Age Origins (a game with strong liberal bias, btw), if you played it. Even if you defeat your political opponents in battle during the landsmeet, you are still forced to abide by their rules instead of enforcing your own. In Mount and Blade there are very few such "artificial" limitations.

Anyway, the best strategy I've found so far in M&B W, at least in the start, is to have a mobile cavalry only party. The pros of it are that you move faster than almost everybody else, meaning you can escape/catch easily, and that cavalry have a huge advantage in open field battle. I'd also say it's a pro that with small parties of high tier cavalry you can take out large numbers of low level enemy units, and the more outnumbered you are the more renown you get when you win. The con is that they also cost a lot more, and that compared to non-cavalry units of the same tiers they tend to have a bit worse stats, which can show during siege battles when the cavalry advantage of horses is negated.

The only reliable way I've found of financing a cavalry only army is to join a faction and constantly loot the villages of the enemy faction (usually your faction is at war with at least one other faction). If your faction is at peace with all other factions, you will have to live off your savings until war is declared again, or you would have to reduce your army.

Another decent way of making money is as a slave trader, basically you hire the type of units which have blunt weapons (high chance to knock out enemies instead of kill) and then when you win battles you can sell the captured people for profit. Of course, some of these actions will have consequences of your honor/popularity, and some lords approve of them while others don't.

A more boring way to earn money is to buy goods which are common and thus cheap in one place and carry to them another place, where they are more expensive, and sell them. Goods produced in and unique to the desert faction can be bought cheaply there and then sold for a hefty price in the cold north, and vice versa.

Except the slow movement in combat I mostly like the realism in this game. Another thing about trading is that if you come into a certain town with an amount of 100 goods X, the more you sell the more the value of X drops, so the first item may be sold at 1000 coins, the 10th at 750, the 50th at 200 and so on. This forces you to visit more than one town to sell your goods if you have lots of them in order to get the optimal amount of money.

Games which teach you about reality in a fun and engaging way is what video gaming industry (and games in general, such as board games) need more of.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm

A game mechanic itself is part of the embedded story.

A popular example where explicit storyline and the embedded story of the game mechanics don't work well together is the modern Tomb Raider game. Here Lara Croft is portrayed as an injured innocent girl who within half an hour becomes a protagonist in a game where a large part of the mechanic is about shooting countless henchmen.

Let's take a game like The Sims, where the mechanic is essentially about fulfilling the ever arising needs of your protagonists as you build for them their house, set up their rooms and furniture, their comforts, make sure that they are well fed, that they brush their teeth and so forth. You mother your 'Sims'.
Not surprising that this game is very popular among women.
When I played the original Sims, I always liked planning and building the house but babysitting the inhabitants grew very tedious for me, very quickly.
With the Sims it's not like managing a platoon or something, it's more like cleaning up after children, or telling them to clean up after themselves. There is a difference.

It's like, yes you provide and organise enough food for your combat group but you don't remind everybody that they should eat it when they get hungry.
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm

I notice that the last few times I started to play some game, I would get bored very soon, after a couple of hours max. Unless the game has a really good story/interesting characters, I just lose interest. The same happened with M&B Warband. I found the most effective (or at least what I think is the most effective) way of playing, then it began to bore me, so I quit.

The last 2 games I played were Crysis and Dragon Age Origins some 2-3 months ago around the winter holidays. Decent games. Other than that, I don't play anything anymore. It's very hard nowadays to find a game which is of high enough quality and has a compelling game mechanic AND story/characters to be worth the time spent, and I am admittedly kind of picky. In multiplayer games it's mostly about the mind numbing grinding, and singleplayer games tend to become more and more PC and have generic, washed up stories.

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Logo_Daedalus wrote:
A childhood of schooling, homework, & video games destroys a person's ability to develop autonomous executive functioning.

This is exacerbated by the Skinners Box reward systems found in video games, artificial environments which provide "a sense of direction."

These are the perfect tools for managers who provide deadlines and tasks. Self-direction is discouraged at all levels.

Americans raised under the Normie Meme Prison paradigm become expert procrastinators & diligent grinders of repetitive busywork.

I think that holds true in particular for grinding game mechanics and the typical RPG quest system.

But at the same time that doesn't mean that life needs to be free from all grind. At least it never was in the past. Just that now it's often channeled into grinding for the sake of grinding and that the grind is made interesting with various reward mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Physical training is a grind as well.
The difference is that in video games you get very quick incremental rewards, just at the right pace.
With physical training it needs a more disciplined mind. Your rewards come slowly and 'worst' of all, you reach a plateau and if you stop grinding, your gains dwindle away.

Then why try anyway, if it's not for all eternity... why try if heaven is not the reward, heaven where you are free from grind, loss and pain?
And so they we fall...

Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 am

Prototype 1, great game. I still turn it on occasionally every month or so and screw around a little. Too bad they fucked the 2nd game up by making Mercer the villain and a dumb, angry nigger the protagonist. It was so poorly received they can't make Prototype 3 now.

Some great videos about the great Gothic games. Warning, the videos contain major spoilers for those who haven't played it yet but may intend to. I've heard many people compare them to the Demon/Dark Souls series, or rather, compared Demon/Dark Souls to Gothic since Gothic was first. I can't confirm if they are similar or not since I haven't played them (my PC is old).

The comparison seems to be that they are both rather dark (Gothic less so), that they have a similar combat system (Gothic's is clunkier, apparently), similar open world design with focus on story instead of sandboxing, and that they are both difficult and challenging.

Another thing that's good about Gothic is that it doesn't have a liberal bias like many newer, mainstream games.

Anyway, the videos:

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Gothic is much more an RPG than the Souls games.
What's special about the Souls games is the combat-system and the world-design.
In most games you get told about what to do, where to go, you have an auto-map and so on.
In the Souls games you have to actually listen to the NPCs because there is no quest log and you have to piece together where to go next, what looks dangerous and so forth through clues from the environment.

See that bridge which is charred black and burned corpses lying on top. They are not there merrily for decoration, they tell you to be careful on that passage.
Oh it's a dragon, which roasted them. I should have known, because I saw one earlier in that area of the game. Could have pieced it together.

And that's why its world-design is very good - Because it's all very deliberate. Many things in the world are there for a reason and deliberately placed, they fit together to make sense.

In a different game you'd be lost without an auto-map, a quest log and a quest marker, if you were to turn them off. It's not designed to offer sufficient clues through the environment.

Combat is also thoughtful.
It's not about reflexes. It's about developing tactics and identifying patterns.
That's why a second run through the game is usually very easy - it's all about knowing what you are doing.
The interesting part is figuring it out.
But at the same time it's not like there is only one solution to fighting an enemy. There are usually many techniques. Break an enemy's shield guard with a heavier weapon by using both hands or do counter attacks, or even parry - many options.

Story wise, after you have played through it without guides, you experience a certain narrative. But if you explore, you can discover a different narrative and how certain NPCs and the story they help tell, is simply a self-serving lie.
Dark Souls for example is about you sacrificing yourself. But if you explore a lot, you discover that it's not all good, that you are sacrificing yourself, and if you read up on it or explore even more and be persistent you can discover a different ending where you don't sacrifice yourself.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Bought my son a PS4....nice technology.
I can now make my TV into a computer screen, and watch youtube vids on it.
I can also surf the net.
Oh yeah...and you can play games, watch home videos, listen to music etc.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 6:06 am

Satyr wrote:
I can also surf the net.

If you like and haven't done so yet, you can also connect a (wireless bluetooth or usb) mouse and keyboard to the PS4 for ease of use with the web browser and youtube.

As for games -

Axiom Verge looks interesting

and
Apotheon

I like the music and the artwork.
But I haven't played neither of them so it's just hearsay.

Apparently there are sales on PSN from time to time where you can download games for less money.

Last edited by Anfang on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 6:41 am

Anfang wrote:
Satyr wrote:
I can also surf the net.

If you like and haven't done so yet, you can also connect a (wireless bluetooth or usb) mouse and keyboard to the PS4 for ease of use with the web browser and youtube.
Oh, you can do that?
Haven't explored all the machines abilities.

Quote :
As for games -

Axiom Verge looks interesting

and
Apotheon

I like the music and the artwork.
But I haven't played neither of them so it's just hearsay.

Apparently there are sales on PSN from time to time where you can download games for less money.
I bought Skyrim and downloaded Risk....my son likes Sims4, but it's not out on PS4 yet.

I have to admit that I become bored of games fast.
That it can convert my television to a computer screen was the deciding selling point.

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 am

Satyr wrote:
Oh, you can do that?

In that regard it comes pretty close to a home theatre PC in terms of how people usually use them and if it's the 'right' model of the PS4, the fan should also not be too loud. That's something which a HTPC is usually built to be - practically silent.
Back to top Go down
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 am

I got about 40 hours of entertainment from Diablo III on PS4 and Rocket League while staying with family. On PS3, the game "Journey" is a game I connected with (some don't and find it boring), you might or mightn't appreciate it, if it's available. It tries to tell a story without use of dialogue.

I generally play older games currently because of my laptop hardware (Counter-Strike: Source 'surfing' gamemode). At one point Rocket League on PC as well. If I were to play one of those big time-sink-and-grind games it would be Diablo III or Final Fantasy XIV on PS4. Skyrim is a pretty good choice, though, since they're going to be adding a lot of content to it later on.

I can't think of any other games, but I don't own a PS4. The Witcher series or Mount&Blade are decent, if those are available. I understand an aversion to games in general; growing up with them being 'cool', I tend to overlook the more 'grindy' and predictable parts. Nintendo actually provides a better 'gaming' experience in my opinion, but it lacks the open-ended features like becoming a computer, etc.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 7:13 am

Anfang wrote:
Satyr wrote:
Oh, you can do that?

In that regard it comes pretty close to a home theatre PC in terms of how people usually use them and if it's the 'right' model of the PS4, the fan should also not be too loud. That's something which a HTPC is usually built to be - practically silent.
It's Ps4 Pro...and I don't even hear the fan.
Paid $500...the lesser one was $300.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 7:15 am

Slaughtz wrote:
I got about 40 hours of entertainment from Diablo III on PS4 and Rocket League while staying with family. On PS3, the game "Journey" is a game I connected with (some don't and find it boring), you might or mightn't appreciate it, if it's available. It tries to tell a story without use of dialogue.

I generally play older games currently because of my laptop hardware (Counter-Strike: Source 'surfing' gamemode). At one point Rocket League on PC as well. If I were to play one of those big time-sink-and-grind games it would be Diablo III or Final Fantasy XIV on PS4. Skyrim is a pretty good choice, though, since they're going to be adding a lot of content to it later on.

I can't think of any other games, but I don't own a PS4. The Witcher series or Mount&Blade are decent, if those are available. I understand an aversion to games in general; growing up with them being 'cool', I tend to overlook the more 'grindy' and predictable parts. Nintendo actually provides a better 'gaming' experience in my opinion, but it lacks the open-ended features like becoming a computer, etc.
Don't want my son to get into it too much.
But he's like me....not an addictive personality.
He actually tried to convince me not to buy it.
Considered building a gaming computer but the price would go up into the thousands.

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 8:58 am

I recently built a computer for myself.
I wanted it to be silent, cheap, upgradable, play all the current and old games in Full HD and have a purpose for it later in its lifespan.

So I bought an Intel G4560 Pentium CPU for 60$.
It will run pretty much all the current games.
It does however not have many reserves for future game demand.
It is the bottleneck in the build but it has the best performance/dollar in games and it’s incredibly low in power consumption (maybe 20 Watt under full load and close to zero in idle).
Furthermore it has support for HEVC codec up to 10bit colordepth and 4K - In other words it supports all the new video decoding standards which are becoming more prevalent in all the videos and streams. Hardware decoding for the HEVC means that the video playback is smooth, does not consume a lot of power and keeps the CPU free to use its cores for the other tasks.
While it only has 2 cores, it does have the hyper-threading feature and so can also run applications which require 4 (virtual) cores.

Mainboard - MSI B250 M Mortar for 88$
Solid build quality (Military Class 5). Steel reinforced PCI-E slot for heavy GPU cards, many USB 3.0 ports, HDMI, DVI and DP video output for use without GPU, sturdy PCB board, extra protections against electrical surges, very good and shielded digital to analogue sound chip.
So I expect longevity.

Most importantly a BIOS and temperature sensing fan-controller which allows to turn off system fans completely - 0 Volts/ 0 noise, depending on what profile you create for your fans.
Only drawback is that you can’t overclock or under-volt with the B250 chipset but with this CPU it’s not necessary and other Intel CPUs suffer from the “toothpaste” under the heat-spreader syndrome anyway so I don’t like overclocking Intel anyway and undervolting is not necessary with the out-of-the-box very efficient Intel CPUs.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 1024

CPU cooler: Be Quiet! - Pure Rock Slim - 25$
Because it is cheap and silent and cools the used CPU easily.

GPU - MSI GTX 1050Ti 4GB Gaming X OC - 165$
Because it’s very power efficient and silent, runs all the desired games and is more efficient at communicating with the CPU than current AMD cards which helps to relieve the CPU bottleneck a bit.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 1024

RAM - 8GB DDR4 Crucial - 2133Mhz, one stick - 50$
Because RAM is way too expensive at the moment so I went with the cheapest 8GB (minimum I’d use today) I could find. Gonna upgrade some years into the future.

HDD -
Some old 2.5 inch SATA drive I harvested from an old external usb HDD.
Because SSDs are also too expensive at the moment (cost almost twice what they cost a year ago).
And 2.5 inch drives are also pretty much silent, the 3.5 inch are often terrible noise wise.

Power Supply - 400W from Be Quiet (Pure Power series) -  55$
Because of the good build quality, efficient and practically silent.

The case was 75$

The advantages are that the computer is silent and very power efficient, maybe 30 Watt doing internet surfing, youtube watching or office work, maybe 120 Watt under full load. It was also quite inexpensive to build and plays all the current games in Full HD.
+ good quality components for (fingers crossed) longevity.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 am

Try this site as well: https://pcpartpicker.com/
It gives you an extensive part list as well as most of the online vendors prices. I was building my pc a few years ago and it was very useful.

AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 10:13 am

I remember bookmarking this page for when I buy a new PC or upgrade my current one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds

From what I understood, according to these guys you can get a PC that is actually better than the new consoles for under 500 dollars - the Crusher build, in particular.

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 10:15 am

apaosha wrote:
Try this site as well: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Looks like a good site.
If I'd build a computer with a higher price point and more focus on playing upcoming games then I'd pick a Ryzen R7 1700 CPU and a GTX 1060 or RX 580 with a potential GPU upgrade in a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 10:35 am

Satyr wrote:

Considered building a gaming computer but the price would go up into the thousands.

I would say you can get extremely good one for like 800 euros and in the end you will save a lot money on games. There are plenty of sites that sell extremely cheap game licenses and there are sales every single week.
https://www.kinguin.net
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/

Also you can buy a steamlink device (16€ on sale price) that you can use to play your steam purchased games on your living room TV with 60 fps. Another plus side is that PC's having game communities that fix game bugs and have free mods to improve the original game which is sometimes unplayable or unbalanced. Like for Skyrim you can download a mod which gives a ragdoll death animation (replaces the "twist" animation) or removes those annoying slow-motion kills cams.

Last edited by Jarno on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 am

Anfang wrote:

HDD -
Some old 2.5 inch SATA drive I harvested from an old external usb HDD.
Because SSDs are also too expensive at the moment (cost almost twice what they cost a year ago).
And 2.5 inch drives are also pretty much silent, the 3.5 inch are often terrible noise wise.

Power Supply - 400W from Be Quiet (Pure Power series) -  55$
Because of the good build quality, efficient and practically silent.

The case was 75$

The advantages are that the computer is silent and very power efficient, maybe 30 Watt doing internet surfing, youtube watching or office work, maybe 120 Watt under full load. It was also quite inexpensive to build and plays all the current games in Full HD.
+ good quality components for (fingers crossed) longevity.

I bought my 240 GB SSD few years ago for 100 € , I highly recommend installing the operating system on the SSD instead of HDD, it makes everything 90% faster. My PC reboots in 15 seconds, practically no loading screens (you rarely have time to read the loading screen text)...

HDMI supports only up to 60 fps so for competitive play 144hz monitor is a must, the prices have gone down this year on 144hz monitors.. No point of getting 4k monitor since they all are HDMI.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Jarno wrote:

I bought my 240 GB SSD few years ago for 100 € , I highly recommend installing the operating system on the SSD instead of HDD, it makes everything 90% faster. My PC reboots in 15 seconds, practically no loading screens (you rarely have time to read the loading screen text)...

HDMI supports only up to 60 fps so for competitive play 144hz monitor is a must, the prices have gone down this year on 144hz monitors.. No point of getting 4k monitor since they all are HDMI.

I'll switch to a SSD some time soon. I expect the prices to drop again in half a year to a year.
I bought a 240GB SSD for 60€ a year ago for my parents and when I built mine about a month ago I'd have paid a 100€ for it. Now it's about 90€ so it's already getting cheaper again.

For competitive gaming on a budget I'd have gone for a 144Hz Freesync monitor and a RX 580. Undervolt it a bit to make it more power efficient and cooler and quieter. But I find that I don't play that many games nowadays and when I do it's usually older ones, those I played when I was younger.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Did try Apotheon and Axiome Verge for 10 minutes each and I can't recommend them.

Apotheon annoys with too many 'quests' and talking (no good in a 2D action side-scroller) and the fighting has its moments but it's also clunky. Another bad impression is that I didn't die in those 10 minutes while I was bumbling around way too much - that's not a good sign. Also the dialogue is terrible and the voice acting reminds me of some Medieval LARPing Brits while the game is set in ancient Greece. Music and art style is good but at the same time is the art style often confusing when it comes to reading and navigating the environment.

Axiom Verge I didn't like because of the art style, the music and the strangely looking protagonist. Gameplay was okay but also lacking in the details (no inertia in the movement for example, all very twitchy if that makes sense).

What I can recommend is Dead Cells.
The gameplay is what is interesting itself in this side-scrolling action game.
It's about pattern recognition and you can and will get better at it - so there is actually something to master in the core gameplay. It's in Early-Access on Steam. May come to the PS4 in the future but nothing confirmed yet.

And very good pixel art.

Last edited by Anfang on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 am

After not having played anything for months, I decided to take up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

It's an RPG set in the same universe as the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Good game, I rate 8/10, would recommend. Short and sweet.

Funny:

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 am

Sins of a Solar Empire

Slow paced Real-Time-Strategy game with some 4X game elements.
It’s about colonising planets for tax income, mining minerals from asteroids, building up a fleet and conquering the competition.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 Soase_10

Planets have a surrounding gravity well, a surrounding space within which the space combat takes place. The various planets are connected with other planets via lanes along which ships can travel faster than within a gravity well but not fight each other.
To get to the point of writing this, there is also a game mechanic of culture spreading along those lanes.

You do this by placing structures like a broadcast centre within a gravity well which will make your “culture” spread along the lanes from that planet to other planets and beyond, connected to it. If your culture is strong enough in a place a planet under enemy control will revolt and control will be lost.

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 Soase_11

There are three races in the game.

TEC (Trader Emergency Coalition) - a kind of commercial empire, the eternal Anglos of space being in a state of continuous emergency apparently.

Advent -  also called The Unity, an empire based on spiritualism and psychic powers, an overtly feminine civilisation.

Vasari - a formerly powerful alien empire, displaced from their home by an unknown threat, now entering and colonising TEC space, the “fascists” in the game.

Here is the described technology that they use to spread their culture.

The TEC use broadcast centres structures to spread their culture/influence.
To enhance this they research the technologies -
Addictive Consumerism (Pervasive datamining of consumer purchase habits leads to highly effective marketing campaigns….)
Cultural Monopolisation (Key exclusive distribution contacts are negotiated, resulting in consumer products made by your companies dominating foreign markets…)
Critical Mass (Specific campaigns for local markets improves product penetration…)
Foreign Sabotage (Labor market interference slows ship and structure production at enemy planets under the influence of your empire’s culture)
Insurgency (Other empires will suffer periodic attacks by liberating forces as oppressed Trader civilians across the sector take up arms and rebel against them)

The Advent build the temple of communion as their culture spreading structure.
The technologies to research for it -
Zealous Worship
Confluence of the Unity
Unwavering Belief
False Belief Monitoring
Wall of Faith
Eyes of the Converted (Thanks to distant believers into The Unity, your empire gains detection of any planet under the dominion of your culture)
Total Assimilation

The Vasari build the media hub as a structure and the technologies are -
Compelling propaganda
Regimented Thought (Domestic suppression forces are deployed to monitor behaviour and silence criticism of your empire, giving an impression of support for your empire’s occupation)
Shock and Awe
Cunning Sympathisers (Traitors from the enslaved populace infiltrate many remaining resistance movements and subvert their efforts to promote discontent of your empire)

Those culture technologies don’t say much about the culture, they are just means to promote the culture. I also think that we live in times where the culture is so debased that it’s not even much talk about what the culture is (some say it doesn’t even exist anyway when it suits their ends, lol) more so about how people are to be convinced about adopting this “culture”. This how-to becomes what the culture is in public discourse. Deracinated, willing to submit to any dominant force which lets them live a life of at least mental comfort.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 am

Don't get a Xbox One controller for PC.
This controller makes you dumber, just by using it. I'm being serious.
The thumbsticks are way too far protruding and the trigger arrangement makes you claw it like you would if you had no fine finger and hand control.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 1:34 am

Anfang wrote:
Don't get a Xbox One controller for PC.
This controller makes you dumber, just by using it. I'm being serious.
The thumbsticks are way too far protruding and the trigger arrangement makes you claw it like you would if you had no fine finger and hand control.

I have 360 controller (wireless) and it's perfect. I think it's the only decent controller since even Playstation 3 controllers are not compatible with all games. I have not tried the steam controller though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next