HomePortalFAQMemberlistSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Brain Gender - Fact or Fiction?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OnWithTheirHead
Trixie

PostSubject: Brain Gender - Fact or Fiction? Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm

I conducted this study, after a transsexual told me that Scientists can prove brain gender by looking at MRI scans.
This particular transsexual has repeatedly told me several bogus claims, so-called "facts" that were livid fictions and were downright falsities, so I decided to research their claims on my own. This particular claim was a mix of both fiction and fact.

Here is what webmd.com says about the matter.
webmd.com wrote:
A 2015 study at Tel Aviv University used an interesting and very thorough approach to compare the structure of male and female brains. Researchers looked at MRI scans of more than 1,400 people.

First, they measured the amount and location of gray matter (sometimes called "thinking matter") in 116 parts of the brain to find out which areas had the biggest sex differences. Next, the team scored these areas on each scan as either falling into the "female-end" zone, the "male-end" zone, or somewhere in the middle.

It turned out that maybe 6 in every 100 of the brains they studied were consistently a single sex. Many others had a patchwork quilt of masculine and feminine features that varied widely from person to person.

To check their findings, the team used similar methods to analyze more than 5,500 people's personality traits and behavior. While some activities were more common in women (including scrapbooking, chatting on the phone, and keeping in touch with mom) and others in men (such as golfing, playing video games, and gambling), 98% of those studied didn't fit a clear-cut gender profile.

Overall, the findings suggest that "human brains do not belong to one of two distinct categories."
However.

webmd.com wrote:
'Brain Road Maps' Reveal Differences
While the MRI research mainly focused on brain structures, another scientist has been exploring the nerve pathways that link them, like a highway system for the brain's traffic.

We know that hormones influence brain development in the womb, yet before age 13, boys' and girls' mental circuitry appears similar. During puberty, hormones may again have a powerful effect and contribute to rewriting the teen brain.

webmd.com wrote:

Women have more connections going left and right across the two halves of the brain. This could give them an advantage in pulling together information from different sources and drawing conclusions. The left half of the brain handles logical thinking, and the right is associated with intuition.

Men's brains have more connections from front to back, which may heighten their perception. They may be more attuned to what's going on around them so they can take action. Men have stronger connections between brain areas for motor and spatial skills. That means males tend to do a better job at tasks that need hand-eye coordination and understanding where objects are in space, such as throwing a ball or hammering a nail.

On average, male brains are about 10% larger than female brains.

MRIs showed the biggest gaps between the sexes were the larger amount of gray matter women had in their hippocampus, a structure that plays a role in memory, and the left caudate, which is thought to control our communication skills. Verma found that in female brains, there's more wiring in regions linked to memory and social cognition.

These findings have been confirmed via hormonal testing. 4 months of estrogen administered to males results in 1/4 cup brain size loss. But perhaps less is more?

Personally I have become an advocate of booze, during the brief moments when I am drunk I lose my social anxiety and can function like a normal person. My brain is bigger than normal and I cannot fit into average sized hats. I have sex very little if at all, not due to choice. Perhaps having a big brain is a burden.

However, if I was the ruler of the world, I would do genetic experiments on people and give them bigger brains. I think the reason my big brain is a burden is because I have very few if any people I can relate to. I do not think big brains are a burden in of themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Brain Gender - Fact or Fiction?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1