Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Wine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 pm

phoneutria wrote:
You need some pickled garlic.

I have it, babe.

Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chateau de la Dauphine (2010)

Excellent wine.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm

It's not only what you it and drink, but how; what utensils, what tools, what instruments intervene between the consumed, the objective, and the consuming, the subjective.

Modern Greeks drink wine from glasses like this...

Not as refined, delicate, sophisticated than the usual glassware, but there is something profound about them.
They are small, bigger than shot-glasses but not able to hold the volume of western wine glasses.

The magic is not in the appearance, but in what they force the drinker to do.
The drinker must fill his glass often, perhaps after ever swallow.
It imposes a state of lucidity.
The movement of filling the glass, the repetition, is an affirmation.
Each glassful a separate ritual.
One for the dead, the next for the living, then to particulars.
Each one separate, distinct, with its own ritual.

I've looked for glasses like the ones in the pic, and the ones I drank, many a time, wine in Greece, but I have not come across them.

Tomorrow I am bringing my son to my father's grave. I'll take two small glasses, and a small bottle of wine.
We'll take a drink to the gods, to nature that made us possible, raising our glasses to ouranos, and then to our ancestors, and then to my father, we will spill it on the earth.

Arditezza

Arditezza

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm

I had a Greek landlord once when I lived in Germany.

He had little glasses like this, but we drank Ouzo from them. We would drink a few toasts when I would go down to pay the rent, I never remember getting back to my flat.

No other alcohol makes me blank out like that.

I remember his wife drinking wine and not Ouzo. She would keep her eye on me and never spoke to me once, but she had the most cherubic smile.

I found the exact same ones on ebay, and I am feeling nostalgic.

22k gold, I remember being able to feel the gold under my fingertips. I want to buy them.. but have not the space for them.

Oh, I think this is similar to what you are looking for;

When your arguments are guided by your conclusions, you aren't doing philosophy, you are merely demonstrating your bias.

Last edited by Arditezza on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 6:07 am

My housemates are gone, which means I'm drinking wine, which means I've had too much, which means I want you talk to me, which means I'm pacing around my backyard "like a madman", which means I'm maintaining my equilibrium by tracing the clothesline, which means it takes me three hours  to get up the stairs, which means I'm listening to music too loudly, which means I'm not yet over you, which means I'm staring at my eyes in the mirror asking "who are you," which means I'm dancing to stay awake, which means I don't know the last time I Iaid my head down, which means I don't know my last meal, which means you make me sick, which means I love you, which means I hate you, which means I hope you fall victim to guilt, which means none of this applies later on when this all wears down.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 10:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Do you ever imbibe beer, or just a wine and spirits kind of guy?

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:39 pm

I like beer.
Don't drink spirits, much...not nay more.
Only vodka, when I do.

I prefer wine, port, beer, and vodka, and cognac on occasion.

Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Vodka does best when it's drunk within the security of one's home or a friend's home.

Beer is conducive to drinking in public or social settings.

Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 12:18 am

Fucking women...

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Are you implying that the entire history of European man, particularly around the Mediterranean basin, can be reduced down to being jilted by females?
Were women responsible for the dominance of Indo-European tribes, after all?!!!
She told me so, but I did not believe her.
Shocked  
Does this explain American beer guzzling, or is it only about wine, and whiners?
Does pizza consumption factor into all of this?

Is this the only reason you drink, to deal with a stiff woody and no wood-chip chipper to diddle it down to size?

I think this calls for a glass ...or ten, of my finest...not exceeding the $60 range.

Outside of your Jew-Freudian approach, can you delve into the reason sex, and meed/alcohol drinking, evolved, and go beneath and around Hebrew insights?
Lyssa has posted something on it.
What other effect does alcohol have, other than to calm the love-stricken heart's turmoil?
There is the erotic, the main dish in our modern days, and then there's the thymotic, the ignored side-dish...funny how both rotate around one issue, one hunger, one human preoccupation.

Cheers, or as the losers in Greece say, after failing to get laid, because they are broke...or who have endured the scorn of a discriminating wench, with high standards, *cough...gold digger, and a esteem placed on a pedestal... Στην υγεία σου!!!

What do they say about the benefits of beer over women?
I think it applies here, with a slight modification:
You can be sure to uncork a bottle of wine, not so much a woman.
A bottle of wine is cheap and easy, not a woman all of the time.
A bottle of wine is sure to make you calm and keep you happy, that cannot be said of a woman.

Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 pm

The play was on "fucking women." Blame and victimization with a hint in concordance to the influence of women and its approach and reproach. There were no psychoanalyzing.
Don't get all hoppy on me.

I know of one, that wine, through the cult of Dionysus, was meant to, meaning the course antecedent and successive, turn man toward matters of Earthy life as opposed to or away from otherwordly: a demarcation of an extraneous materiality.

Effects of alcohol are extroverted, whereas with another stimulant/depressants, such as cannabis, it is introverted.
Emotional life is intensified by the former, while for the latter it is thought life. One is hyporeal and the other is hyperreal; first connects and so the second disconnects.

Nyet. I drink to spite life, which is the same reason I smoke [tobacco]. It used to be as a sort of askesis: to overcome foreigness. Then it turned into suppression as is smoking. Now it's because I enjoy European beers, especially bavarian wheats, not to mention how it facilitates/counteracts/complements cigarettes.

Had a [Belarossian] comrade once tell me in broken english: "it's cooler to hold a woman in hand than a cigarette." Same applies to a glass of alcohol.

Tell me more over a drink.
За здоровье (cheers.)

Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

There was a line from a Cantonese film (God of Gamblers (I forget which part in the series)) with Chow Yun Fat.
He proactively responded to a careless ploy to share a glass with a superficial opponent: "[Thanks, but no thanks]: I only drink with friends."

Back to top Go down
Arditezza

Arditezza

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Satyr wrote:
Tomorrow I am bringing my son to my father's grave. I'll take two small glasses, and a small bottle of wine.
We'll take a drink to the gods, to nature that made us possible, raising our glasses to ouranos, and then to our ancestors, and then to my father, we will spill it on the earth.

Thought of you this weekend Satyr, as we hosted 7 students and one professor from my husbands philosophy graduate program. We don't host a lot of large dinners, and I only have 6 traditional stem wine glasses, so we sipped our wine out of smaller juice glasses like the ones you pictured and the jug was passed around many times during discussions. It was nice because it was a Greek oenochoe wine jug I had made a few years ago as an homage to this jug;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Much discussion was had as the wine was shared and it lasted long into the night and for the next few days. It was wonderful to host such intelligent men and listen and participate in some of their discussions in between serving and cooking. I imagined you there with us and thought about how well you would fit in with the group. It was a wide range of scholars, so the debates were quite lively and we went through an entire case of wine in four days.

It was nice that they humoured me by including me in some of the discussions, especially when discussing Philosophy of Language and of Literature. Being the only woman, discussions of feminization and any feminine factor included me as well. It was exhausting in such a wonderful way, and they felt at home and well fed so my job was done. Invigorating.

When your arguments are guided by your conclusions, you aren't doing philosophy, you are merely demonstrating your bias.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Arditezza wrote:
Thought of you this weekend Satyr, as we hosted 7 students and one professor from my husbands philosophy graduate program.  We don't host a lot of large dinners, and I only have 6 traditional stem wine glasses, so we sipped our wine out of smaller juice glasses like the ones you pictured and the jug was passed around many times during discussions.
In private, I prefer those smaller glasses.
I found something like them, but not quite like the ones in Greece, I first encountered as a boy.
My grandfather had them.

The smaller glasses are less pretentious.
The constant pouring, every time it is emptied, which does not take long, forces you to take an account of how much you are drinking, and it makes it part of a ritual.

Arditezza wrote:
Much discussion was had as the wine was shared and it lasted long into the night and for the next few days.  It was wonderful to host such intelligent men and listen and participate in some of their discussions in between serving and cooking. I imagined you there with us and thought about how well you would fit in with the group. It was a wide range of scholars, so the debates were quite lively and we went through an entire case of wine in four days.
Lively discussion, wine, and a gracious hostess, sounds like a symposium, if you add what the Greeks call "mezedakia"....

At the end, all leave gratified, and drained, and whatever bad feelings were provoked are drowned in alcohol and the satiating effects of food.
My most precious memories were around a dinner table, with someone playing a musical instrument and the entire party singing.

Arditezza wrote:
It was nice that they humoured me by including me in some of the discussions, especially when discussing Philosophy of Language and of Literature.  Being the only woman, discussions of feminization and any feminine factor included me as well. It was exhausting in such a wonderful way, and they felt at home and well fed so my job was done.  Invigorating.
Feminization was brought up?
Interesting.
The connection to Nihilism?

Just as long as the ideas become public I am satisfied.

Arditezza

Arditezza

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Satyr wrote:

In private, I prefer those smaller glasses.
I found something like them, but not quite like the ones in Greece, I first encountered as a boy.
My grandfather had them.

The smaller glasses are less pretentious.
The constant pouring, every time it is emptied, which does not take long, forces you to take an account of how much you are drinking, and it makes it part of a ritual.  

We were using the jug at first as a joke because we referred to it as the great Thanksgiving Weekend Symposium and got a kick out of the Greek theme. We made it a habit of never pouring our own glass but allowing someone else to pour for you to embrace interaction. It was great and my son actually peeled himself away from his games and cell phone and participated and listened. I was impressed at his ability to grasp some of what was discussed even at 14 and he participated well.

Satyr wrote:

Lively discussion, wine, and a gracious hostess, sounds like a symposium, if you add what the Greeks call "mezedakia"....

At the end, all leave gratified, and drained, and whatever bad feelings were provoked are drowned in alcohol and the satiating effects of food.
My most precious memories were around a dinner table, with someone playing a musical instrument and the entire party singing.

There wasn't much singing, except for the first night when the scotch was opened. But it really was a good group of guys. They didn't go to bed until 4am the first night, though I retired after I finished cleaning up dinner to allow them room to discuss without me.

Satyr wrote:

Feminization was brought up?
Interesting.
The connection to Nihilism?

Just as long as the ideas become public I am satisfied.
I admit to bringing up some of the more traditional ideas of the nature of woman and the feminization of man, but I was surprised to learn that most of the men felt the same way about modernization and the poison of nihilism once it was aired openly. They were guarded, thinking me a feminist at first because I am intelligent and they made assumptions but it definitely was brought up several times. I only wish you could have been there to share it with us and to elucidate your views.

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Amazing!!! Greek red wine...

...just opened a bottle with my food.
I was blown away.

OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 2:09 pm

How does it lay on your tongue; arousing the tastes?

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm

OhFortunae wrote:
How does it lay on your tongue; arousing the tastes?

Smooth and dry, but not overly so. Wetness comes forth.
Not overly alcoholic, to make the tongue feel the bitterness.
Subtle.
The aftertaste is wonderful.
It comes out with every breath.
Soft, like a woman's touch.  
Grape is pronounced in it.
The flavours are delicate.

OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 2:41 pm

The taste sounds good to my curiousity.

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Shudder.

Back to top Go down
Zoot Allures

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

I too find that the selection delivers to the palette a bold yet refined subtlety of flavor... a defined but pleasant sweetness augmented by the contrast of its bitter aftertaste. I'm gonna buy three more bottles.
Back to top Go down
mannequin

mannequin

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 1:04 pm

I don't think I have ever drank wine, the only exception would be a perry wine style Lambrini when I was a teenager, which blew my fucking mind off due to the lack of drinking combined with excessive consumption. I am more of a herbal type of guy.

The smell and taste of Lambrini is amazing, which is something that struck me and stayed with me for years. After the first glass I was generally fine, even to the point of no noticeable effect, other than a slight tipsyness maybe...so I just proceeded to drink another, and then another..then it hit me!

I was over a friend's house at the time, we were drinking in his little office out back around midnight. My head was spinning, emotions were running, all during teenage angst. I was uncontrollably breaking down and periodically flying into rage..then i felt this urge to go outside, my friend was panicking a little bit due to how unpredictable the situation was getting.

I started kicking cars and screaming, then i went home. Upon my arrival, I started attacking my family members and throwing household items around, then I was on the floor resembling some kind of demon possession.

It was ridiculous. With that said, I never touched it since. It becomes a terrifying reality when you can literally not control yourself, there was some kind of diminishing of the space,self, ego? between thinking and acting. As soon as I thought something, I would do it!..

Anyways, it's been ten years since then and highly doubt I'll respond like that again, since I smoke some herbal stuff and occasionally drink cider, which is quite relaxing...but still, one has to be careful. I have no interest in getting drunk.

Since wine is expensive, there's no way im just going to splash out on a bottle hoping for the best. I guess i need some free wine samples.. I'm preferably looking for something that soothes anxiety as I'm quite naturally tense..I also have a threshold for relaxation, If my body is too relaxed or the sensation is too overwhelming, even if it's euphoria..My mind starts to freak out, then diverts into fear and impending doom. This is definitely in my dna, as my father and brothers have it. It's not on my mother's side. It used to happen quite randomly in my teen years, but over time you naturally endure it and learn to deal with it to the point it has almost diminished now other than having a typical general intensity which, at times, is uncomfortable..hence me seeking out a few substances to aid me regarding this...but if i introduce anything that drastically changes the sensation of my body, it happens again...some kind of weird catch 22.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 2:35 pm

2010...amazing wine.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Behold...my white sangria mix.
Fruits (pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, melon etc.) and mint, topped of with vodka and white wine.
Let it rest for a week, strain, add bubbly, water or wine, and enjoy.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Sponsored content

Wine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine Wine - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wine