Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Monkey's at type writers.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monkey's at type writers. Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 6:00 am

Printers recreate the most amazing works of art with great precision. Then we frame them and hang them on our walls.
There isn't a single thought or feeling put into placing those dots of ink on those precise positions.

Here's another bit of humbling: do androids dream of electric sheep?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monkey's at type writers. Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:
Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:
Inddeed humble people have been. some times the most humble people are the worst in that the sit around and do nothing when they could aid the survival of others, simply being as such out of ignorance. It is a good sign that you instinctively think of such humbly...

But I am still not sure I understand what aspect of the "monkeies on the type writer" argument being the case would and why it would disappoint you?
Do you do anything artistic or creative - be loose with those term if needed? Perhaps a love letter your wrote someone? something you said to someone in pain who you loved?
Yes... your point?
I should have been clearer - could you give me some examples?

Obviously I am going to ask you how you would feel if whatever your examples are were generated, in context, by a machine producing randomly in the same context you produced it.
I have written love poems/letters...

If a machine produced it randomly i would not feel anything... one might say "because I produced it non-randomly.." but then I would think it may be fair to consider my creation just as much a random result of the compounding of an infinite number of events... I find no need to feel comfort in the idea that my ideas are original... if anything I find comfort in being able to reiterate things when they are pertinent, for say solving a problem and thus balancing the situation...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monkey's at type writers. Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Abstract wrote:

If a machine produced it randomly i would not feel anything... one might say "because I produced it non-randomly.." but then I would think it may be fair to consider my creation just as much a random result of the compounding of an infinite number of events... I find no need to feel comfort in the idea that my ideas are original... if anything I find comfort in being able to reiterate things when they are pertinent, for say solving a problem and thus balancing the situation...
To respond to the latter point:
satisfaction with repeating something that serves a good function is not dependent on being attached or not attached to certain creations.

Since you do not mind thinking of your own actions and creations as random, I can see where you would not be bothered by the hypothetical monkeys.

I don't see your lack of concern here as something that will lead to bad behavior in you or others.

Nor do I see my reaction - which obviously differs and now we are almost at a taste level - leading to bad behavior or that I am in need of being humbled because of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monkey's at type writers. Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:43 am

Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:

To respond to the latter point:
satisfaction with repeating something that serves a good function is not dependent on being attached or not attached to certain creations.

Since you do not mind thinking of your own actions and creations as random, I can see where you would not be bothered by the hypothetical monkeys.

I don't see your lack of concern here as something that will lead to bad behavior in you or others.

Nor do I see my reaction - which obviously differs and now we are almost at a taste level - leading to bad behavior or that I am in need of being humbled because of it.
I understand your position...I held to such a feeling once as well...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monkey's at type writers. Monkey's at type writers. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Monkey's at type writers.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2