Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

If a cow why not a baby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Abstract wrote:
Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:
I would think that typically it being a part of a woman's body is an argument against abortion legalization it is not something against abortion. Depends on who you are talking to...
it's an argument for a woman's right to abort if she wants. That it is her decision and a part of her that is in question.
So I should have at least the right to eat my self. I guess...
Bite your fingernails, drink your urine. Probably somewhere it is illegal to, say, eat your own liver, but I doubt you would stand trial unless you did it in front of children.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:

I think it is reasonable for one to do what is more close to the self first.
I am more interested specifically as to why people think abortions are wrong on moral level, as to see given that moral thinking if it fairly should apply to other animals... so as to identify a hypocrisy if there is one.
OK. So you are, in a sense, trying to get the antiabortionists to be consistent about right to life. (I am sure this is an oversimplification, but just to make sure I follow).

Most people are speciesist and certaintly the bulk of the most vocal antiabortionists have the Abrahamic prejudice against animals, that they are for us, that they do not have souls. The Muslims have the kindest rules, where the halal death of the animal is attempting to be as considerate as possible - their solutions are not great but that is the stated intent. But we are not animals, are special in creation in these views and so we do not have to be consistent. It is not intelligence that is at issue, it is being human. The fetus is human, therefore it cannot be killed.

Though oddly in some Christianity it must be baptized since it is filled with sin. How it can be wrong to send an entity filled with sin to hell is beyond me - given their beliefs. And if it is wrong - and permanently wrong since hell is forever - why would God places fetus in front of beings with free will who might send them to hell for all time?

I can see letting us be accountable for the errors of our free will, but fetuses?

Very strange religion. There must be gaps in the film of their consciousness to keep them from noticing the ludicrousness.
Anything can be rationalized...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Abstract wrote:

Which is why rationality is not enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:

Which is why everything comes down to be faith in something...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Abstract wrote:
Kovacs wrote:
Abstract wrote:

Which is why everything comes down to be faith in something...
Or at least must be supported by faith - though I prefer the term intuition, which places the nature of that quality in a black box.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If a cow why not a baby If a cow why not a baby - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

If a cow why not a baby
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-