Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Knives Knives EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:14 pm

I am interested in knives, I have a modest collection of them.
I like to be able to carry them, so they aren't that big.

I have no intention to use them as a weapon ( appalling idea ) but I just love a good knife.
Recently I have bought a small hunting knife, and I feel the desire to be able to sharpen it.
I have looked at a lot of youtube videos but I tried the standard methods and it does not work satisfactorily.

Recently I saw the film "Legends of the Fall" (in which I enjoyed the role of Anthony Hopkins) and there for a moment we see Brad Pitts character "Tristan" sharpen a knife with a stone.

He put it flat on the stone and circled it around.
It seemed like a method he had learned from his native American buddy / teacher.

I would like to know the type of stone I should look for to enable myself this method of knife-sharpening. It seems to me like a very pleasant activity, and I would like to keep my knife sharp.

It is knife by Böker, made in Argentina. It came with a holster, of which I cut away the part which attaches to the belt, because it made the thing too large. And there is no way I am walking around with a knife on my belt. It is safely in my pocket, when I take it with me.

Somehow the instrument makes me feel good.
It is lying next to me unsheathed.

The metal of the blade is seen to continue between the handle scales of beautiful ebony. It is quite a lovely piece of work.

I am tempted to pick it up.

Last edited by Fixed Cross on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 pm

I love knives also.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:30 pm

I carry a small knife on me at all times, with being small and vulnerable and whatnot and general preparedness. You never know when you'll need to cut a seat belt or perform a tracheotomy.
I also have a large collection of cooking knives, German (Wusthof) and Japanese (Shun), which I use everyday, and thus require constant sharpening.
My woodworking materials also call for sharpening sometimes.

So to me it was justifiable to spend a decent amount of money on sharpening stones.

After some research, I found that Naniwa stones are the best that you can find for a reasonable price. There are better stones than theirs, but $400 on a stone to me is unjustifiable, after all I am not a hobbyist, my knives are tools.

I take it that your knife doesn't have any serrations on it, as it is probably one that is suited for skinning. I think that the Naniwa stones would work well. You will need at least 3 stones to get a decent edge. The stones I have are grit 9, 18, and 32.

This also assumes that you already have a semblance of an edge on your knife. If you have a severely damaged blade, or for any reason need to start over, you need a much coarser stone. I have a coarse Duosharp diamond bench stone for sharpening my axe and machete.

I spent just over $100 on the Naniwa set, and about $80 on the coarse stone.

And then, if you do have serrations on your knife, you will need a rod shaped sharpener. I haven't gotten one yet, but plan to.

I recommend this website for your research [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I also recommend that once you have the stones, you should practice a lot on a cheap knife that you don't care much about. It takes some skill.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Where do you carry your knife?

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 pm

It clips onto my pocket.
The wave feature on the top side of the blade hooks on to the pocket when I am drawing it, instantly opening it. The ring also allows opening with one hand.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Spyderco Delica 4 (half serrated). The blade is just over 2 inches long, which makes it slightly illegal in this here state.
Still I would rather go to jail than to my grave.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Nice.

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 3:23 am

I recommend the Spyderco Harpy.

Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 7:14 am

If only the need for a gutting knife was more common in modern life, I would get a hawkbill.

Sink in the tip and let it rip.
Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 8:22 am

Why not carry a concealed fire arm?

Less mess in the event of use and less danger of you getting hurt.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 am

This is a bush craft knife I bought whilst on holiday in Scandinavia. It was made by the Sammi people.

Quote :
As a nomadic people in a harsh environment, they have refined the style over centuries until there is nothing superfluous. The elegant result is a real demonstration that form follows function. The classic Nordic blade is narrow enough to penetrate, has a straight section for slicing, and enough curve at the tip for light skinning chores. The wide, flat pommel allows the use of the off hand to add force to the point. The deep leather sheath is an indication of how serious a lost knife can be in the wilderness. The sculpted handle of curly arctic birch gives excellent control for the draw strokes that are favored when the hands are gloved or numb with cold.

Evidence that beauty and function are inseperable.

Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Same brand as mine and looks similar, but on mine the serrations are bigger. Tears flesh better when you're gutting fish.
Back to top Go down
https://knowthyself.forumotion.net

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Vanitas wrote:
This is a bush craft knife I bought whilst on holiday in Scandinavia. It was made by the Sammi people.

Quote :
As a nomadic people in a harsh environment, they have refined the style over centuries until there is nothing superfluous. The elegant result is a real demonstration that form follows function. The classic Nordic blade is narrow enough to penetrate, has a straight section for slicing, and enough curve at the tip for light skinning chores. The wide, flat pommel allows the use of the off hand to add force to the point. The deep leather sheath is an indication of how serious a lost knife can be in the wilderness. The sculpted handle of curly arctic birch gives excellent control for the draw strokes that are favored when the hands are gloved or numb with cold.

Evidence that beauty and function are inseperable.

This isn't a full-tang knife, is it?
I also find it unusual for a bush craft knife not to have a hilt on the blade side. You wouldn't want a stab motion to turn into you slicing your finger off.
Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 6:35 pm

It's not full tang no. They're too expensive.

As for the hilt, I don't think there's call for a lot of stabbing in the wild, mainly cutting and whittling.

Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 9:29 am

Vanitas wrote:
Why not carry a concealed fire arm?

Less mess in the event of use and less danger of you getting hurt.

Can't cut with a fire arm.
Back to top Go down

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Fixed Cross, did you ever get sharpening stones?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knives Knives Empty

Back to top Go down

Knives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: