Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Domestication

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Domestication - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 3:54 pm

At some point I'm going to perform an experiment on rats.

Obtaining two males and a female. I'm going to place one male in his own cage and the female in her own cage, and place the cages next to each other for a couple of weeks. The second male will be out of the picture for now.

Hopefully during those couple of weeks, a lustful attraction will build up between them, especially on the male's part. Then I'm going to introduce the second male into the female's cage allowing him to do as he pleases right in front of the first caged male.

I'm then going to remove the second male out of the picture again and resume the same caged lust building and attraction between the first male and the female. Then im going to repeat the process by putting the same second male into the female's cage for the second time and let him do as he pleases right in front of the first caged male.

I'm then going to put the second male in the same cage as the first male, and observe the results. I will be taking the second male out and back into the female's cage and then out again back into the first male's cage, observing the results.

Then im going to put the first male into the female's cage to see how he behaves towards her. Shortly afterwards, im also going to put the second male in there as well, and see what happens.

Then I'm going to take both males out and put them into individual cages away from each other and the female. I'm going to feed them a liquid form of the THC compound known to be found in cannabis. This feeding will actively carry on for a number of weeks. ultimately, both males will be placed back into the same cage after excessive intoxication to see how THC has an effect on their hostility and aggression towards each other. Finally, both of them will be placed back into the female's cage individually and together to see how they interact with her and each other.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Blind attraction, can result in making do.

Once you eliminate the need, you do away with the instinctual desire to fuck anything that moves or to connect with whatever has a heartbeat.

Masculinity is a control over feminine drives...in one's self.
Then order, reason, takes over, or dominates...making fucking a man a waste of time, and quite useless in every way.
Once the reason sex evolved is eliminated, leaving the later to develop social and emotional aspects, then sex loses its utility and becomes masturbation.

Did Diogenes fuck boys?
Dear woman...you are trying to manipulate the feminine in men.
This is where you lose yourself in yu0r own projections.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm not trying to manipulate anything in men. I stick to my own kind, thank you very much. I doubt you would consider them men anyway, so what you say doesn't apply, at least not to me, maybe to others of my kind though who do that. Ive seen it take place and to be honest I don't think much manipulation was required at all
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 am

Domestication of sexual roles means the enforced adaptation of feminine norms for masculine behaviour.

Among Philosophy's many moods that began with thaumazein [wonder] (acc. to Aristotle), then melancholy, anxiety, otherness,... we can add the state of dis/ease today as a Philosophical mood.

Quote :
"Jean-Paul Sartre’s novel Nausea, presented as the journal of Antoine Roquentin, opens with the narrator’s statement of an unexplained change that has pervaded his world. Roquentin’s need to examine this disturbing sense of change is the explicit reason why he begins writing.

"The best thing would be to write down events from day to day. Keep a diary to see clearly—let none of the nuances or small happenings escape even though they might seem to mean nothing. And above all, classify them. I must tell how I see this table, this street, the people, my packet of tobacco, since those are the things which have changed. I must determine the exact extent and nature of this change." (Sartre 2007)

Roquentin searches for an understanding by attending to the manifestations of the ordinary. Through close attention to the ordinary, he seeks to articulate the manner in which his whole being-in-the-world has changed.

"For instance, there is something new about my hands, a certain way of picking up my pipe or fork. Or else it’s the fork which now has a certain way of having itself picked up, I don’t know. A little while ago, just as I was coming into my room, I stopped short because I felt in my hand a cold object which held my attention through a sort of personality. I opened my hand, looked: I was simply holding the door-knob." (Sartre 2007)

Roquentin is unaware of the phenomenological resonance and philosophical potential of his detailed daily descriptions. He is thus somewhat surprised when, his inspection of experience reveals to him the world itself, the world of which he is part, rather than a private mental domain. The unmistakable presence of a new quality acquired by the world – or, perhaps, the new absence of a dimension that has unexpectedly vanished from the world – makes it difficult for Roquentin to find the terms to pinpoint the change he has experienced.

"So a change has taken place during these last few weeks. But where? It is an abstract change without object. Am I the one who has changed? If not, then it is this room, this city and this nature; I must choose." (Sartre 2007)

Roquentin is ultimately concerned only with the specificity of his own situation, i.e., with a mood that reveals the bare “such-ness” of the world and bears a distinctive affect of nausea.

We may say, with Heidegger, that moods are world revealing." [Kenaan-Ferber, Moods and Philosophy: Towards a Phenomenology of Moods]

Nausea, Disgust, Dis/ease that a real man feels today is interpreted as ressentimental by the emotionally charged and the hedonistically stunted.

Current feminization perverts and swaps the world revealed from such philosophical moods for a personal/subjective emotion. If evolutionary female roles were geared towards sustaining internal harmony, and smoothing out frictions using diplomacy, courtesy and sundry other feminine tactics that Christianity has only too well employed, a feminized culture tries to level down such decorous behaviour for Male norms - in the name of culture,, whereas it was and is only a civilizing decoration evolving from female specialized roles.

So any real man who speaks against the world, a continuous tirade against his environment, and shares the world and the reality his extra-personal mood, a state of being at dis/ease, his honest nausea is now cited as his being "drab", or suffering from a "blue collar complex", "working class ressentiment" or whatever j.-xt. scums see at the level of their own private emotions a.k.a. 'my objectivity'...

Imbued in and as a specimen of this very feminized culture, the stunted hedonist mind inverts and convolutes the pathos of non-complaint that is and ought to be typically a feminine natural strength - what she was made for,,, to a Male norm,, and a man "complaining" and not "shutting up", not "suffering it all upon himself"  is discredited for not being a woman. quaint...

This is called domestication.

This is called levelling-down.

When female choice is circumvented via institutional proxies that promote tolerance, take the cross upon yourself without making a sound, foster relations via meek diplomacy, then one knows how dysgenics sets in.

Every philosophical mood unveils a landscape, sometimes real, sometimes symbolic. A Man naturally geared for philosophy does not present the arbitrariness of his "moodiness" - the bs. of free-speech, etc.,, but Mood as being-in-the-world, an openness-to-the-world...

What's dying are these philosophical drives, when this feminized levelling by emotional cowards, hedonistic retards, and j.-xt. civilizing scum continue and real men are smeared, discredited, for being the cultured voice of many a philosophical reflection...
Its a war like no other.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 2:34 am

You misread me entirely.
It's not the complaining that peeves me, it's the mediocrity.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 am

That's a nice shift in tune now, 'after I' explicate the problem and the stupidity in your whining.

You are a retard, and I mean that objectively; can it be of any concern about what does or does not do for a mindless hedonist, as if Philosophy was about catering, and that it even needs to appeal at all to any gross pleasure?

Mediocre are the stunted judgements of those like yourself who conflate philosophy for yet another literature with the base presumption that originality was supposedly the intended ground of appeal.
No, retard, it was truth, honest severity and cleanliness of empirical integrity emerging from first-hand observations proud to stand on their own without deference to any authority - rare, all too rare today, when the very spirit of being a man is being obliterated by those like yourself who whine, bitch, sneer, being used to spoon-fed with thoughts, and a thesis which imposes the Imperative to think-for-yourself proves all too naturally, very insubstantial.  

The fad of pointing out where something is my own, my novelty, my individuality is the very dis/ease of the modern mind drilled into believing any truncation from history is a triumph of originality, when it is in fact self-erasure. Again,

"History’s domain was the memorable, the totality of events whose consequences would be lastingly apparent. And thus, inseparably, history was knowledge that should endure and aid in understanding, at least in part, what was to come: “an everlasting possession,” according to Thucydides. In this way history was the measure of genuine novelty. It is in the interest of those who sell novelty at any price to eradicate the means of measuring it. When social significance is attributed only to what is immediate, and to what will be immediate immediately afterwards, always replacing another, identical, immediacy, it can be seen that the uses of the media guarantee a kind of eternity of noisy insignificance.

The precious advantage which the spectacle has acquired through the outlawing of history, from having driven the recent past into hiding, and from having made everyone forget the spirit of history within society, is above all the ability to cover its own tracks -- to conceal the very progress of its recent world conquest. Its power already seems familiar, as if it had always been there. All usurpers have shared this aim: to make us forget that they have only just arrived." [Guy Debord, Comments on the Society of the Spectacle]

When stunted hedonists and civilizing j.-xt. scum do not even know what the War is about, and the Form "philosophy" needs to take,, worse, retards who do not even believe there is a war - then the illiterate attempt to call it "mediocrity" and level it down is one more example of that War.
Then even a "normal ego" expressing any hint of boldness to test itself on Ideological Merit will be slandered for supposed narcissism, grandiosity, delusional self-importance, etc.
That's what it has come to. A retardation. When a mind has become this feminized,, then even being just an ordinary man wearing honest humility would be too-much pomp, and he will have to be shamed and brought down to the level of utilitarian regards. Unless one has something to offer for the stomach of society and the churning machine of civilization's utilities,, then it is the other who is ressentimental about his fate in life.

Ignorance touches its peak, when speaking of the truths of the reality one lives in and nourishment of the soul comes to mean sensual pleasure should take precedence over depth of clarity.  
Taking over from where Heraclitus left off, where Nietzsche left off, where great minds have left off, when minds like yours are dwarfing, while timeless problems still remain the same, since the nature of life remains the same is not being mediocre, but is a Way and the Form an Individuality that is not burdened by peer review takes. If Nietzsche said, the Form of the dionysian war against modernity, is in saying I Am,,, Satyr act-ually Form-alizes it.

When idiot savants are used to experiencing everything as Data and Information crunching and munching,,, then the experience of "mediocrity" is a statement on the drab nature and labour-mentality of its own consumption.

When something as demanding as Think-for-yourself seems like yawn-material and yarn-material spun over since ages, and society marches on in the progressivist assumption that's taken care of when not, then Duty becomes standing as a reminder to preserve the integrity of First Principles that Ground very philosophical thinking. When the fabric of every philosophical thinking is being tattered and savagely torn apart by poisonous fumes, then sometimes one needs to become poison to combat poison. Venom is processed with Valour.
Nausea, disgust, irritant agitation, bluntness, rage, aggression, brooding, are cathartic chemicals against mystifying pollutants. This is called Pan-ic attack.

Retard, I dont expect you to understand anything, much less what modernity is eroding, and beauty is hidden in the sacrifices that have to be made when immediate concerns hang like the sword of Damocles upon your conscience for practicality and the new form of the philosopher today is Forced, is compelled to emerge as a Surveyor of a terrain if he is to be efficient,, and awakening others is more crucial than appealing to them by whatsoever means. When sense-instruments are regressing in the progress of technological aids, idiot, re-calibration is what an honest man does, if he is to transmit his own song, and strum the poetry of his fathers, far away from the dismal dins of many a drowning siren.

Going home means, one does not give something new, just for the sake of giving; for any "just because",, but restraint in doing the right thing than doing things rightly is the mark of the Active, valourous mind.

Domes means as simple as re-membering the ones waiting for you away from domestication.

Your non-ideological dismissal remains irrelevant.

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Last edited by Lyssa on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 7:18 am

The modern uses "uniqueness" as a weapon and a shield.

Having no brain to create, to imagine, beyond a certain point, it uses clothes, music, symbols, money, to set itself apart.
It uses another person's creativity to insinuate its own.
It calls this its individuality, its uniqueness.
A simple creature wearing a different dress feels special, unique, if another simpleton does not wear the same dress (mask, pretense, symbol).
For the modern, the novel involves taking the given and combining it in ways that seems unique...repackaging their shared fears and pacifiers...and because there is no past/reality, to limit this "creative" self-numbing, any combination, no matter how absurd, will do....just as long as it is happy, pleasant, all-inclusive, and easy to digest.
Their fantasies can go wild with self-indulgent delusions.
Nothing real restricts them. They are protected from their own delusions, and can dedicate themselves to indulging carelessly.  
There's no objective world to pull them back, and to humble them, and so they begin feeling arrogant, while professing humility.
Their motive is escaping the world, not engaging it honestly and directly.  

Satyr never claimed to be saying something unique, in the sense that he had to become foolish, and superficial, and a hypocrite, to pretend to be inventive, and controversial, by pulling shit from his arse, and calling it brilliant...calling himself a "genius" with 180 IQ.
Satyr always said, and what is being talked about, by him, is readily available to EVERYONE!!!
It is right in front of EVERYONE.
It is older than man...
Not novel...not imaginary, but OBVIOUS to everyone but the coward and the hypocrite.
Satyr does not invent it, he discloses it.
When someone discloses something he need not be unique...only honest.
Others who share his motive to see will see the same thing.
Their perspectives will converge, not diverge as with liberal simpletons who think remaining detached from the world is an escape.

Rule---
Honest, courageous, perspectives, motivated by a need to see, to be lucid, converge...CONVERGE.
Escapism, wanting to avoid the determining patterns we call nature, DIVERGE...because there's nothnig binding them to a shared reality...only a shared need, a shared anxiety/fear, a shared hatred of self and life which can then take any form...any ridiculous, childish form.
An oasis in the desert can be approached from different directions, but it is a shared destination for all....those who want to run away from it can take any direction, towards the desert dunes; their shared distaste for the oasis will appear as a liberation, and their different direction as free-will...but they are lost, wanting to deny being so.  
This divergence these simpletons call "liberty" is, really, a liberty from their senses; literally, they deny their own senses to accomplish this escape.
And when one is motivated to do anything, even deny his own senses, then there is no limit to his anxiety ridden desire to flee.  

Aletheia in the Hellenic sense as an uncovering,a  disclosing....
To the blind and the retarded, this disclosure might seem brilliant, like a sudden light flashing on their dying retinas...but it was always there....and they, only, lacked the eyes to see it, and the brains to accept and to process it.
Some would rather poke out their own eyeballs than risk seeing what is right in front of them. In the darkness of their blindness they can live any reality they desire, no real world there to restrict their fantasies...if someone is guiding their steps.

What's left to a blind man but sounds...forming into words?

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Looks like I hit a nerve again Smile
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 12:30 pm

phoneee wrote:
Looks like I hit a nerve again Smile

Sweetie, I needs simpletons to inspire me to speak my mind...otherwise I keep things to myself and cannot be bothered.

It's why over the years I've found simpletons on these internet forums, and why I inevitably, get banned.
I need someone to get my blood boiling with their simplicity, their hypocrisy...otherwise I'm too content to care.

It's why I love these forums like sciforums and PhilosophyNow and ILP.
It's full of simpletons...little pimples that just beg to be busted open.

Thank you for being you.

None of it is personal...you only represent a common theme which infuriates me...riles up my passions and helps me care enough to post.

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 am

Such a display of weakness though, dear.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 am

But I am weak, sweetie.
Not strong, like you.

Did you not read?
Strength is a measure of weakness....gnosis is a measure of ignorance.
Can't be omnipotent and omniscient, like you.

I need those, like you, to inspire me.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 5:21 pm

phoneutria wrote:
Such a display of weakness though, dear.

So much whine...

Can't cork it?, can it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 7:28 pm

I am a critic of refined taste, luv.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 am

phoneutria wrote:
I am a critic of refined taste, luv.

Self-criticism is so healthy for you... You go girl !

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 am

Do you know a lot about my internal dialogues, dear?
I reckon you must think you do, based on the two or three mini essays you've written on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Quote :
"The testosterone tradeoff

"In numerous jawed vertebrates testosterone appears to play an important role in courtship, aggression, and territorial defense, particularly by males. It is very likely that last common ancestor of jawed vertebrates already used testosterone in such capacity. The jawless vertebrates do not seem to use testosterone as their primary male hormone but they might use related steroids like androstenedione in a similar capacity. However, there have been some suggestions that testosterone might act as a pheromone in some lampreys. Whatever the case, the fixation of this steroid and the basic behavioral pattern regulated by it appear to have emerged after the split of the jawed and jawless vertebrates from their common ancestor, though related steroids might have functioned in the vertebrate common ancestor itself in a similar capacity. The expression of male ornaments and behaviors targeted to elicit female interest are under the control of testosterone across vertebrates – horns, bright colors, songs are all induced by testosterone secreted from the testes. Given that sexual selection by female choosiness tends to act on these manifestations one question is would there be selection for males with increasing testosterone levels. Studies by Ketterson et al using the sparrow-like bird the junco have thrown light on various tradeoffs imposed by testosterone.

Testosterone, polygyny and cuckoldry
A classic tactical fork faced by a male vertebrate like a junco with territorial behavior and parental care is whether to form a long term pairing with a single female or whether to attempt to inseminate many females. At first sight the latter tactic might seem the obvious winner. Among birds, species with persistently high levels of testosterone throughout the mating season tend to sing more and mate with multiple females. However, juncos, like other examples across the vertebrate tree, are nominally monogamous, with biparental care, though not without extra-pair copulations. It would hence, appear that some tradeoff might be involved. The effects of exogenous testosterone implantation in male juncos was used to assess the role of the possible tradeoffs involved. The males with testosterone implantation, as opposed to those with control null implantation, flew around a wider swath of territory, sang more and attempted courtships with more females. However, they unlike the controls did not provide much help in chick-rearing to their females. This responsibility landed mostly on the females unlike in natural situation were both parents are involved. However, measures of female fecundity showed no significant decreases from the non-participation of their males. This meant that the tradeoff in the case of juncos was not coming from any lowering of fitness from lack of paternal contribution to chick-rearing. It was also observed that the male with implanted testosterone tended more frequently to father chicks on females of males from adjacent territories. Thus, they were indeed accruing more fitness from extra-pair copulations than the control birds. However, it was also observed that they themselves were getting cuckolded more often by other males unlike the control birds. It was noted that the fitness gained from extra-pair copulations was balanced by the fitness lost due to cuckolding.

Testosterone and immunity
Several experiments have shown that elevating testosterone by extrinsic administration tends to suppress the humoral and cell mediated acquired immune responses that are typical of jawed vertebrates. This relationship between testosterone and immunity is relevant to a widely studied and well-known hypothesis in animal biology known as the immunocompetence handicap hypothesis (IHH). This derives from the signaling theory that posits that signals, which are used by males to indicate their quality to females, should be costly to ensure honesty. If this were not the case they can also be displayed by low quality males, which lack the wherewithal for such signals, there by defeating their very purpose. Thus, the signals of the male have to come with an associated handicap that only a good quality male would have the wherewithal to overcome and still show the signal. As per the IHH the elevated testosterone levels that are need to express the sexual ornaments and behaviors come at the cost of lowering immunity. This could lead to increased susceptibility to infections – thus testosterone cuts both ways. Hence, a poor quality male would not be able to cheat by merely elevating testosterone because it will also knockdown his immunity, render him prone to infection, and thereby make him unable to sustain the higher grade ornaments or aggression displays. In contrast, only a genuinely good quality male will be able to tide over the testosterone immunity handicap and still show his ornaments or aggressive displays.

In another set of experiments using the junco model the levels of endogenous testosterone through the mating season were measured and compared with the endogenous concentration of complement and total immunoglobulin IgG concentration in blood. The latter two were seen as proxies of innate immunity, which represents the readily available immune capacity to neutralize pathogens. It was observed that there was a good negative correlation in the male birds between testosterone and the two proxies of innate immunity. Other experiments on the junco had also shown that injections of testosterone in males resulted in lowered humoral and cell-mediated acquired immunity suggesting that effect of testosterone probably affects all arms of the immune response. Thus, birds with higher testosterone had a lower immunity – given this situation only a male with really good quality would be able to sustain a high testosterone mating season because a lower quality male would succumb to the ravages of infection. Importantly, it was found that both the above measures of innate immunity were positively correlated with the mass of the male bird. Thus, lighter males had weaker immunity and elevation of testosterone on this background could weaken it even more, making it difficult for him to falsely signal his quality before falling to infection. Hence, in line with the IHH the immunity cost imposed by testosterone allows for honest signaling.

Testosterone and female choosiness
When sexual selection operates on high testosterone induced traits there will be tendency for the genetics of female choosiness to get linked to the genetics to the sexually selected traits in the male. Given that the genetic control of testosterone levels might be generic, selection for its elevation in males of the species would hence lead to elevation in the females. This could potential constrain sexual selection for testosterone associated traits in the male if elevated testosterone starts having negative effects on the females. In the junco model it was observed that implantation of testosterone into the females to elevate their levels resulted in them becoming less choosy between males with elevated or normal testosterone level. Thus, if sexual selection of traits associated with elevated testosterone were to occur it would be nullified by the loss of female choosiness with increasing testosterone.

In conclusion the junco experiments suggest that the elevation of testosterone potentially comes with multiple tradeoffs – elevated risk of cuckoldry, lowered immunity, and unintended side-effect in the form of reduced female choosiness. Thus, the junco has probably converged to an optimum, elevation beyond which is deleterious. Given certain similarities in the mating system of the junco with modern humans, and the conservation of the testosterone system in jawed vertebrates, some these observations are indeed relevant to us. Of course we are a social ape with a long history of such sociality in the primate tree and breed throughout the year. This adds additional factors but some of basic responses remain very much the same. It is common to believe that tendencies towards monogamy in humans result from selection for shared parental care. This is not entirely supported because in most mammals the female provides the bulk of the parental care, with male, if involved at all, playing a primarily protective role against rival males who may kill his offspring. The possibility that risk of cuckoldry as in the case of the junco could be a major factor favoring tendencies of monogamy in extant Homo should be considered. In this regard, one may also ponder over the effects of modern Anglospheric social engineering and the kind of males and females they are favoring."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 am

What Humans can learn from the Mice Utopia Experiment.

In 1950, an American ethologist named John Calhoun created a series of experiments to test the effects of overpopulation on the behaviour of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The animals which Calhoun chose for his experiments where mice (and later on rats). He chose rodents as these reproduce rapidly thus allowing him to observe the development of several generations of mice  in a relatively short space of time.

Calhoun and his researchers found that in a space-limited/resource unlimited environment, the population of mice would explode; peak-out and then collapse to extinction. This test was replicated several times and it was found that these led to the same outcome each time. The reason for this phenomenon was found to derived from social decay which worsened with each generation. The social decay led to unrest in the environment, which in turn led to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It was concluded that nature has a limit in which social animals can interact.

John Calhoun’s experiments gained world-wide recognition and his expertise was sought after by government bodies such as NASA. They present a useful yet grim insight into what could be our own future, for no matter how many times Calhoun repeated the experiment, the results led to the same inevitable conclusion: extinction.

The Experiment

His team created a comfortable environment ideal for the mice. This was achieved by fitting a pen (box-shaped enclosure) with unlimited food and water. The room had space for up to 3000 mice. The room was closed off so that neither the mice could get out nor predators get in. By removing the risk of predation, the mice could grow in an environment free from external stress. The room was then compartmentalised into different units, this allowed Calhoun to identify how different social groupings formed.

Four pairs of mice were screened for diseases (four male and four female). Upon verifying that they were healthy they were introduced into the enclosure.

Calhoun observed the mice population over the course of the experiment. He noted down behavioural changes and population numbers. He found that there were four distinct phases of population change observed during the experiment. The first stage, named “Strive”, was a phase in which the mice explored and adjusted to their new habitat, set territories and created nests.

The second stage was named the ”exploit period”. During this stage the mice population exploded. Calhoun observed that some compartments became more populated than others, and therefore some units used more resources. It was also observed that some units started to become crowded.

The third phase was named the ”equilibrium phase”. During this phase, the mice population peaked at 2200 individuals, although there was space for 3000. During the third phase Calhoun observed the collapse of the mice civilisation. He noted that the new generations were inhibited since most space was already socially defined.

The mice showed different types of social dysfunctions. Some mice became violent. Males fought each other for acceptance, those that where defeated withdrew. Some males became repeated targets of attacks.

Calhoun had noted during his experiments:

Quote :
“Many [female mice] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term, or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Amongst the males the behaviour disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic over-activity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organisation of the animals showed equal disruption…”
[…]
“The common source of these disturbances became most dramatically apparent in the populations of our first series of three experiments, in which we observed the development of what we called a behavioural sink. The animals would crowd together in greatest number in one of the four interconnecting pens in which the colony was maintained. As many as 60 of the 80 mice in each experimental population would assemble in one pen during periods of feeding. Individual mice would rarely eat except in the company of other mice. As a result extreme population densities developed in the pen adopted for eating, leaving the others with sparse populations.”
[…]
“…In the experiments in which the behavioural sink developed, infant mortality ran as high as 96 percent among the most disoriented groups in the population.” – John Calhoun

Newer generations born in the now dysfunctional mouse utopia became withdrawn, spending their days grooming obsessively and dedicating their time solely to eating , drinking and sleeping. This generation, for all the emphasis they placed on grooming, would not reproduce. Moreover, these mice were noted to be unintelligent compared to previous generations.

Quote :
“…the limit Calhoun imposed on his population [of mice] was space — and as the population grew, this became increasingly problematic. As the pens heaved with animals, one of his assistants described the rodent utopia as having become hell.”

The fourth phase was the decline. In this phase the population plummeted. The last mouse died 600 days after the experiment began.

What Can Humans Learn From Mice?

The limiting factor of Calhoun’s experiment’s was space. As time transpired, the mice passed on the negative behavioural attitudes to the next generation, and these, subsequently passed them on to the next generation, with the addition of new unsocial attitudes. What is it that makes space, and lack there off, such a decisive factor in the development of social animals? And what are the consequences for population condensation?

Notice how the evolution of the behaviours displayed by the mice, parallel those of the people of Easter Island, as explored by Quintus Curtius in his ROK article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The people of Easter Island are a historical example of a human version of the mice utopia experiment:

“When humans first arrived there about A.D 900, it [Easter Island] was densely forested, and was capable of sustaining numerous tribes and a relatively high population.”

The conditions of the islanders were similar to that of Calhoun’s mice. On an isolated island, with a lush environment, a group of humans settlers arrived on boats to Easter Island. The settlers could thrive with almost endless resources without natural predators nor external factors of stress.

With time, the island became over populated. Quintus explains what befell the Islanders:

“The islanders then began to compete with each other more and more fiercely for an ever-declining volume of natural resources; vendettas multiplied, intertribal warfare flared, and a pall of hostility and fear descended on the island. As the trees vanished, the islanders were unable to build boats to escape to other islands: they became trapped in their own hell, doomed to fight each other in perpetuity for the last crumbs that the barren land could offer. Eventually the islanders began to starve, and feed—literally—off each other. As wild meats became unavailable, and escape off the island became impossible, the natural consequences followed. Cannibalism stalked the island, animating its folklore and infecting its archaeological sites. Perhaps the islanders compensated for their misery by focusing more and more on the empty ritual of building and raising statutes, as their means of sustenance melted away.”

This is reminiscent of the ”[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]” observed in the mouse utopia. It also resembles the abhorrent behaviours observed in Calhoun’s experiments resemble several shocking stories from recent times. Is it be possible that it’s social decay rather than a shortage of food that led the people of Easter Island  to near extinction?

There are natural limitations on the degrees of social interaction we can manage on a daily basis, just like with the mice. In humans this is referred to as “[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]“, and it has been observed to be true in social media sites.

Whilst it could be argued that this could not happen to humans; as we have large swathes of unpopulated land, it has to be noted that at the peak population, only half the colony space was being used. The mice had a tendency to congregate and overpopulate certain sectors of space, something reminiscent of modern day cities.

Modern Cases Of Behavioural Sinks In Humans

It is hard to compare the mouse utopia to the human world because, for obvious reasons, there is no human version of the mouse utopia experiment. Experiments are carried under controlled conditions to mitigate sources of error. However we can compare modern adverse trends in human society to the behavioural sink observed in the mouse utopia experiment. Below are some examples of behavioural sinks in Humans compared to those of the mice utopia.

Population Condensation

Case Study: Germany (Also applicable to: Spain, Japan.)

The first sign of trouble in the mice pen was the crowding observed in some of the units.

In Germany, the Spiegel [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of a growing problem of population condensation in it’s large cities and of ghost towns in rural areas. Rents are soaring in Munich and Hamburg while in other cities apartments stand abandoned.

Whilst this example is not a perfect representation of the mouse utopia, we can make some comparisons. The mice pen was compartmentalised. Similarly, Germany is divided into several regions all with ample resources. In Germany, some regions are becoming more crowded, this is driven by labour demand in some regions and lack of labour demand in others.

Prediction: I predict that as cities become crowded, some of the behaviours observed by Calhoun will become apparent. These will include social unrest and lower fertility rates.

Population condensation was a major cause of social unrest in the mouse utopia. Time will tell if this will be the case in Germany.

Depopulation (failure to achieve replacement fertility)

World wide phenomenon.

Case Study: Republic of Korea [South Korea], Japan

The main correlation between the mouse utopia experiment and our times is depopulation.

Depopulation led to the extinction of the mice. It is fascinating yet terrifying to think that without the hardships of life, a species cannot survive. If we think about this from a human perspective, we see that our struggle for survival unites us as a species. Without hardship our life’s become pointless and shallow.

If we look at South Korea’s fertility rate per woman, which stands at 1.24, we can predict that this nation of 50 million will peak out by 2017. From there the population is expected to decrease to decrease to 42 Million by 2050.

The source of this decline is lack of jobs and thus lack of income needed to rear children. Like in many other nations, the job ladder is stuck as older people retire later in life. South Korea, like Japan, had a booming job’s market which guaranteed lifetime employment. Sadly, this is no longer the case. The job’s from the cities attracted many away from the country side and created a population concentration in cities such as Seoul.

Depopulation presents our species with an ever-growing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] since sub replacement fertility is becoming more prevalent in the developed world.

If we look at Japan, we see that Japan now faces a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Depopulation is estimated to drive Japan’s population to 87 million, down from 127 million by 2050. In economic terms it would be catastrophic as Japan’s has an advance welfare state like that of the United Kingdom and depends on having a larger tax base than a retiree base. The problem is getting so out of hand in Japan that the Japanese government is even considering immigration ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]).

Sub replacement fertility is also being noted in the Republic of Korea, Spain, Germany, China, Russia, US, UK, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Depopulation is likely to be an effect of the social breakdown and not a cause.

Senseless Aggression

Word wide phenomenon.

Case Study: Easter Island.

Aggression is an obvious aspect in both the mice utopia and the East Island case. It is also easily comparable to our society in present day. Whilst violence has always existed amongst our species, this had always been attributed to a range of factors such as poverty or inter-tribal warfare (aggression due to lack or resources) and not as a factor of population condensation (aggression despite of abundant resources).

The first signs of trouble in the mice utopia were male mice fighting for acceptance. This appears to have led a spiral of other societal problems.

“…there where three times as young mice aspiring to enter social groups as there were vacancies in socially established groups…”

Aggression is the cause of the societal breakdown. What was the cause of the aggression? As observed, a lack of space, both physically and socially, which sets into motion a series of events that led to the outcome of extinction.

Breakdown Of Gender Roles

Developed world phenomenon.

Case Study: USA, Japan

At ROK, we place a large importance on gender roles. Looking at this subject from a perspective of another species may give us some further insight on the topic. We have observed that depopulation is an effect, so what is the cause? Perhaps there is more than one cause. The behavioural sink observed in the mouse utopia showed several abnormal social behaviours.

In the male mice, a limited space and a boom in population caused the males to fight more to be accepted. Since not all mice can be alpha males, the losers withdrew. With excess males fighting for dominance, older males gave up, leaving the females to fend for the family. These would then become increasingly aggressive and some even began attacking their own offspring.

Calhoun noted that as time progressed “…mothers fell short of maternal expectations”. In recent years there have been an increasing amount of cases [[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]], [[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]], [[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]], [[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]] of child neglect and abuse by human mothers that have made it to national headlines. It is not hard to speculate that there are many more we have not heard. In Australia, police have released [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that attribute half of the nation’s infanticides to their mothers.

Since these are the more notorious cases which the media publishes, the less extreme cases go unnoticed, under reported or unreported in the media (in the last few decades there have been a string of stories in the media, which when examined as a whole tells us that women are starting to lose their [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). We know that women in developed nations are suppressing maternal instincts, either intrinsically or extrinsically. It is also becoming more common for women to seek a sex-fueled lifestyle, something that was also observed in the mouse utopia.

“…the mice became more promiscuous…mice would roam around attacking others or mounting them irrespective of gender…”

“…phase C, the incidence of conception in females declined and the resorption in foetuses increased. Maternal behaviour was disrupted. Some mothers in desperate searches for quieter areas abandoned young that fell on the way…” – Tragedy in Mouse Utopia, Dr.J.R Vallentine

As the behaviour in the pen deteriorated, females would abandon their offspring leaving them to fend for themselves. With no parents around to teach them how to be well adjusted mice,

“…prematurely rejected, first by their fathers, then by their mothers, and then by established groups in the community, the young grew up without knowing how to behave, personally or socially as mice…” – Tragedy in Mouse Utopia, Dr.J.R Vallentine

Gender roles are vital in a social species, without that the break down of these lead to sub replacement fertility, depopulation, and finally, extinction.

Withdrawal

Case Study: Japan

“Individuals would only emerge to eat and sleep when the rest were [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].” When I read this, the first thing that came to my mind was the Hikikomori. It’s a term used to refer to a reclusive adolescent who is too introverted to function in society. These youth are so socially inept that they shut themselves indoors and only venture out at night to stock up on groceries. This is a phenomenon that has been occurring for 20 years but that is only recently coming to light in Japan.

The Hikikomori are estimated to number a million. Something that has alarmed the Japanese government who have been unable to tackle an issue they do not fully understand. In Japan, an entire generation of young Japanese have been born into a society in where all space is already socially defined just like in the mice utopia were “the new generations were inhibited since most space was socially defined”.

However [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Japan is however a very close approximation to a mice utopia experiment for humans just like Easter island. Under stress, these boys (and men) have been impaired by a stressed and dysfunctional society. Withdrawal is a cause for depopulation and the effect of an over stressed society which is in turn caused by the behavioural sink.

The Beautiful Ones

Case Study: Japan

There is another social ill in Japan that is comparable to Calhoun’s mice. These are the grass eaters (Soshoku kei Danshi ) of Japan. The term, “grass eater”, refers to males who have no interests in seeking relationships with the opposite sex. The media and the manosphere has confused these guys with whatever pre-conceptions they may have had. For example, the BBC documentary “[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]“, explores the phenomenon with bias and poor journalism. So to ensure we don’t fall for the same pre-conceptions allow me to reiterate that the grass eaters are men who have no interest in pursuing relationships with the opposite sex. They are not homosexuals, asexual’s, otaku nor Hikikomori.

The difference between grass eaters and the Hikikomori is that the Soshoku kei Danshi are withdrawing from relationships and the Hikikomori are withdrawing from society all together. Grass eaters are not asexual, the prefer the vast array of porn available to them. Many grass eaters, although not all, are metro-sexual. These are guys who spend a lot of time and money into personal grooming. Once again this is not applicable to all grass eaters.

Some grass eaters show resemblance to the “Beautiful ones”, spending their time “…[obsessively] grooming, eating and sleeping….[and]…not reproducing”. The correlation appears to be that individuals are not conforming to a stressed societal model and are opting out of relationships and a male gender role. The grass eaters have become so numerous that is has pushed some Japanese girls to initiate the courtship. This phenomenon is most pronounced in Japan but is applicable to other developed nations.

In the Republic of Korea, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. In other developed nations, the “beautiful ones” are the vapid and shallow celebrity and beautify obsessed youth. It is possible that grass eaters could become a cause of depopulation and that is caused by the behavioural sink.

Conclusion

The mice utopia experiment presents us with a stark vision of our present and our future. As time progresses we will see more evidence that we are heading for a decline in population which is largely driven by social decay.

Through history we have developed an anthropocentric world view. This is folly. Humans are animals—highly advanced animals, yet animals nonetheless. Regardless of what we may think of ourselves, or how we may try to dissociate ourselves from the rest of the animal kingdom, the rules of nature that apply to mice often apply to us. Not learning or accepting the results of these experiments can only be detrimental for us as a species.

Social animals appear to be regulated by intrinsic behavioural factors. The question is if there is a nature kill switch for a species that has no predators. Calhoun concluded that the stress from social interaction caused the disturbances in behaviour seen in his experiments. If we truly stand apart from the rest of the animal kingdom, we ought to be able to avoid the same pitfalls. What is certain is that unless humans collectively apply some soul-searching, we will fall for the mouse trap.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm

No frontiers + population density = madness.

No culling leads to this.
Disharmony from nature, out of touch from your own genes.
Nature becomes the enemy, the negative....over-tuning the concept of nil as in Nihilism.  

The emergence of monism, of nihilistic ideals, repressing ego, denying it, accentuating the public social character, social success, identity via otherness, the lowest-common-denominator...seeking the solution, the certainty, the one, in the beyond, the beneath, the immanent....the word.

What is language?
Grooming.

Endless self-grooming, grooming others to maintain social alliances, find identity in numbers....noetic masturbation.
Self-referential thinking.
The noumenon referring back to noumenon, with no external connection to the perceived, the apparent, the phenomenon.
Everywhere human symbols used as reference points - urbanization, the Matrix, the world as code.
Philosophy as the analysis of other thinkers, other thoughts, preferably thoughts disconnecting from reality; offering escape, relief from its demands, its indifferent uncertainty.

Philosophy immersed in human noetic artifices.
The world does not matter, the body is detached and denied...all is mind - Alexandrian.
Internal frontiers replace the absent external ones.  

This human sink [cesspool, see ILP and other such forums] is where Semites thrive.
The memetic infection....Hercules Labour with the stables.
The idea is immortal, the bovine are not made ill by their own pollutants, the noumenon is unaffected by the accumulation of its own refuse; pollution does not make the idea(l) ill.
It dies when the body dies, while it may be denying death, and the body from a detached perspective.  

OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Extremely interesting article.

From the comment section

Mystery of the missing million

Quote :
Prior to the communism in 1944 Bulgaria had one of the youngest and fastest growing populations in Europe. The population was relatively evenly spread around the country. The Bulgarians lived mostly in villages and thanks to a very fertile soil they were quite self-sufficient.

When the communists came to power they needed to create a large working class to support them in order to stay in power. The party line was to collectivise and intensify the agriculture and to industrialise the country as a whole. Large numbers of people migrated (forced to move) from the villages to the towns which later grew into big cities.

The population continued to grow but it peaked in 1989 but now it's in sharp decline. Most Bulgarians (72.5 per cent) reside in urban areas.

The problem is that since most people now reside in the cities and the country experiences a big transitional crisis, the families are finding it difficult to feed the children and lack the skills and conditions to grow their own food.

The country had lived through two major world wars plus a number of regional conflicts but it had never experienced such a sharp decline in its population ever. The urbanisation proved fatal.

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Quote :
1. Safe Spaces

"This is a relatively new addition to many Universities; it is essentially a safe room to which students will flee when faced with opinions or situations that “trigger” them. These triggers range from a simple comment they don’t agree with, to being in a room with too many white straight males.

Students are emotionally affected to the point where they can no longer take being exposed to foreign opinions or ideas, and are driven into a state of panic. To coax them out of it, Universities have applied a patch job instead of a cure by treating these students like children. They are simply removing them from the situation rather than having them face it like adults and become more resilient to emotional and illogical responses.

Users of these “hugboxes” are in no way prepared for their future outside of university, where one can’t take a timeout in a business meeting when their ideas are shot down.

2. Affirmative Consent laws

California and more recently New York have adopted “yes means yes” and “affirmative consent” policies. These mandatory procedures on campuses exist to regulate sex and ensure that fully grown adults understand what the definition of consent is.

With the progressive redefinition of the word “consent” people are having issues understanding what it means as well as with being falsely accused of rape and lacking the evidence to prove their innocence. In response to this epidemic, many universities across Canada and the U.S are introducing “consent kits” equipped with consent forms, pens, and condoms. Apparently university students are so socially challenged that they have no idea when someone wants to have sexual relations with them or even when they themselves have consented said relations. These kits have reduced students to the social level of children who cannot handle the responsibility of impromptu kisses or romantic spontaneity. They now have to have a signed piece of paper, a breathalyzer test and picture that they can present to their trusted adult figures at the University to ensure they don’t get falsely accused of rape. The policies also advocate for a guilty until proven innocent judgement of the accused, therefore forcing students to buy into this ridiculous form of consent.

3. Campus Protests

Adult temper tantrums, that’s all they are. Radical students gather by the hundreds outside academic buildings and campus speaking halls with poster boards and raised voices that either achieve nothing, prevent intelligent debate, destroy the life of a falsely accused individual or someone who made a bad joke.

The ridiculous protests at Dalhousie University screaming for the expulsion of dental students who made inappropriate jokes on Facebook are a perfect example of this. Mattress girl at Columbia university takes it to a whole new level with her ridiculous display of dragging a mattress around campus to protest a student’s continued existence at the university. A student whom she falsely accused of rape, and now demands retribution. You’ll find it is exceedingly difficult to attend a worthwhile campus protest as they are so few and far between nowadays. The ones you’re more likely to encounter revolve around notions of patriarchy, bad jokes, perceived racism and nipples.

4. Post modern art & writing

When a child brings acanvas covered in scribbles to their parent, they stick it on the fridge, Instagram it and get excited if there is something that remotely resembles anything other than spaghetti. As that child gets older, if their art doesn’t progress with their age, they usually give it up or their parents hide their liger doodles in a drawer.

Art doesn’t have to be perfect; it could literally just be a wash of colors and still be appealing. Nowadays, however, people are abandoning the most conventionally appealing aspects of art simply for the sake of being edgy and counter-culture. I imagine their thought processes were something along the lines of “you know what? Fuck hygiene. I’m painting this with my menstrual blood, and if you don’t like it you’re sexist, because this embodies the oppression of women.”

And that’s literally what they’ve done – now all bodily fluids are fair game. These students are applauded by their art departments, teachers and fellow students for their “ingenuity.”

This goes for writing as well, in my first academic writing class we were introduced to a poet by the name of Bill Bissett. A man who deliberately spells things wrong – his writing appears to be that of an elementary school student if not simply word vomit. Visit his website if you dare.

5. Teaching fantasy as fact

Rape Culture? The wage gap? Despite the wage gap being excessively debunked, professors continue to valiantly defend its existence. It’s easy enough to point at a horse and call it a unicorn if you ignore the absence of a magical horn. Similarly, the wage disparity is attributed to sexism when you ignore differences in time worked, positions filled, degrees earned or any other factors that are relevant to the equation. Young students living in the western world with no overarching social problems eat up their professors’ extreme narratives without question as they search for their generation’s imaginary civil rights movement. Rape culture, white privilege and other exaggerated terms are taught as fact, not as an idea to entertain or debate. This will inevitably make for a bunch of graduates who believe in the intellectual versions of dragons and unicorns.

This combination of utter nonsense has created the largest entitlement and victim complexes on earth. What universities are stuck dealing with is a bunch of infantilized adults who are running around regurgitating the exact views of their professors, bleeding on canvases, hiding in safe spaces when faced with opposing opinions and arranging petitions to remove people who make jokes they don’t like. It really is the reincarnation of some of the worst traits most of us grew out of as kids.

If universities continue to encourage this behavior, we’re going to have to introduce nap time and friendship circles to keep pace with regression of our future adults minds."

Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I came across an article which i seem to have lost access to, that includes some modern chimerical definitions that evidently have been added to the Websters dictionary that also includes "manspeading" and "selfie".

"Deradicalization" which means, something along the lines of the omission or regulation of particular attitudes or thinking processes that induce feelings of discomfort or self-defeatism and run counter to current beliefs in equality.

The university campus is the main environment open to these insane progressive changes because it is the most ripe and vulnerable; full of naive and ignorant minds which have had no interaction with the cruelty and unforgiving nature of life. How many of those students walking around in their sketchers shoes and Facebooking on their smartphones and discussing whether the terms "he" and "she" should be designated in genders due to transgenerism, have ever worked in a physically brutal warehouse, hauling boxes and working pallet jacks for minimum wage? How many have been in violent fist fights where they have had to prove more than their empty words? It is a "safe" and "comfortable" environment that nurtures mental masturbation, while retaining the "arts" only as a verisimilitude of free thinking, or what modern love to call "open mindedness".

Why do massacre shooters target schools? Because there, they identify what is most deplorable and contemptible about the spiritual impoverishment of modernity. A pristine world, of "Blank Slateism", wiped clean of the bad realities of nature. A world they can rattle with gunshots.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Edenic symbiosis or domestication?

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 10:45 am

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 9:45 pm

Sloterdijk, Pete wrote:
Successive generations that follow a trend toward domestication are not governed by the normal evolutionary pressure of a purely natural environment. They benefit from a special climate that has been created half naturally and half culturally, in which it is not necessarily those who are optimally adapted for external nature who survive but rather the specimens that do well in internal conditions: these are the living beings who distinguish themselves by their exceptional agility, their increased capacity to learn, their engaging sociability, and, finally, by their bioaesthetic advantages. Nest-building creatures, particularly birds, provide a natural-historical prelude to this, but even individual reptiles, such as the well-known Mexican salamander, retain their larval form for the duration of their lives, as do those particular mammals that are able to offer a high standard of nest-security and parental care to their young. In the case of such living organisms, biologists have observed a complex of characteristics that since the late nineteenth century were described by the term ‘neoteny,’ that is, the retention of juvenile features (or were described with the concept‘ paedomorphism’). This includes the trend toward accelerated births, which leads to the emergence of quite immature young, a feature that is inconceivable without the luxury of a secure nest.
These tendencies all come together in Homo sapiens, whose young are characterized by extreme immaturity at their time of birth.
‘Premature birth’ [Frühgeburtlichkeit] among humans, to use.
[What Happened in the Twentieth Century – Towards a Critique of Extremist Reason]

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Domestication Domestication - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Domestication
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: