Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Empty
PostSubject: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Illustrations by Lena Hades.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"No shepherd, and one herd! Every one wanteth the same; every one is equal: he who hath other sentiments goeth voluntarily into the madhouse."

"Ye call in a witness when ye want to speak well of yourselves; and when ye have misled him to think well of you, ye also think well of yourselves".

"Like those who stand in the street and gape at the passers-by: thus do they also wait, and gape at the thoughts which others have thought".

"And again there are those who sit in their swamp, and speak thus from among the bulrushes: "Virtue--that is to sit quietly in the swamp".

There are the spiritually consumptive ones: hardly are they born when they begin to die, and long for doctrines of lassitude and renunciation.

"Or else, they grasp at sweetmeats, and mock at their childishness thereby: they cling to their
straw of life, and mock at their still clinging to it."

"See them clamber, these nimble apes! They clamber over one another, and thus scuffle into the mud and the abyss".

"Their knees continually adore, and their hands are eulogies of virtue, but their heart knoweth naught thereof".

"With mummies, some fall in love; others with phantoms: both alike hostile to all flesh and blood--oh, how repugnant are both to my taste!
For I love blood".

"Towards the throne they all strive: it is their madness--as if happiness sat on the throne! Ofttimes sitteth filth on the throne.--and ofttimes also the throne on filth."

"Where solitude endeth, there beginneth the market-place; and where the market-place beginneth, there beginneth also the noise of the great actors, and the buzzing of the poison-flies."

"If ever I have played dice with the Gods at the divine table of the earth,
so that the earth quaked and ruptured, and snorted forth fire-streams"...

"I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star.
I tell you: ye have still chaos in you".

"Deep yellow and hot red--so wanteth MY taste--it mixeth blood with all colours. He, however, who whitewasheth his house, betrayeth unto me a whitewashed soul."

"The state, I call it, where all are poison-drinkers, the good and the bad: the state, where all lose themselves, the good and the bad: the state, where the slow suicide of all--is called "life."

"And the blindness of the blind one, and his seeking and groping, shall yet testify to the power of the sun into which he hath gazed,-did ye know that before?"

"Just see these superfluous ones! Sick are they always; they
vomit their bile and call it a newspaper. They devour one another, and cannot even digest themselves."

"Ye are not eagles: thus have ye never experienced the happiness of the alarm of the spirit. And he who is not a bird should not camp above abysses"

"Or they sit all day at swamps with angle-rods, and on that account think themselves PROFOUND; but whoever fisheth where there are no fish, I do not even call him superficial! "

"Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood. Write with blood, and thou wilt find that blood is spirit".

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Lyssa wrote:

"I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star.
I tell you: ye have still chaos in you".

That would be my favourite.

I'm disappointed that there is no "one must be an ocean to receive a polluted river and not be defiled."
Back to top Go down
https://knowthyself.forumotion.net
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm

[quote="apaosha"]
Lyssa wrote:

I'm disappointed that there is no "one must be an ocean to receive a polluted river and not be defiled."

Yes, that's one of my favs. too!

Some more gems:

He that feeds the hungry refreshes his own soul.

What matter about long life - what warrior wishes to be spared?

Blood-related with my enemies, I want withal to see my blood honoured in theirs.

Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image.

In the end one experiences onlyoneself.

Courage is the best slayer - courage which attacks; it slays even death itself, for it says - "Was that life? Well! Once more!"

"Of Hazard" - that is the oldest nobility in the world.

For the sake of folly, wisdom is mixed in all things.

Of man there is little here: therefore do their women masculinise themselves; for only he who is man enough, will save the woman in woman.

The half and half spoil every whole.

Noble souls desire to have nothing gratituously - least of all life.

It is a noble dictum which says - what life promises us, that promise will we keep to life!

Only the doer learneth.

To live as I incline or not to live at all.

Rather despair than submit yourselves.

He has heart who knows fear but vanquishes it; who sees the abyss with pride.

In solitude there grows what any one brings into it - also the brute in one's nature; thus is solitude unadvisable unto many.

All great love does not seek love - it seeks more.

In short as the proverb of Zarathustra saith:" "What doth it matter!"

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 9:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Nietzsche wrote:
"Zarathustra said this to his heart as the sun stood at noon: then he looked inquiringly into the sky - for he heard above him the sharp cry of a bird.  And behold!  An eagle was sweeping through the air in wide circles, and from it was hanging a serpent, not like a prey but like a friend: for it was coiled around the eagle's neck.
      "It is my animals!" said Zarathustra and rejoiced in his heart.
      "The proudest animal under the sun and the wisest animal under the sun - they have come scouting.
      "They wanted to learn if Zarathustra was still alive.  Am I in fact alive?
      "I found it more dangerous among men than among animals; Zarathustra is following dangerous paths.  May my animals lead me!"
      When Zarathustra had said this he recalled the words of the saint in the forest, sighed, and spoke thus to his heart:
      "I  wish I were wise!  I wish I were wise from the heart of me, like my serpent!
      "But I am asking the impossible: therefore I ask my pride always to go along with my wisdom!
      "And if one day my wisdom should desert me - ah, it loves to fly away! - then may my pride too fly with my folly!"

Thus began Zarathustra's down-going." [TSZ, Prologue, 10]

Nietzsche wrote:
"       You are not eagles: so neither do you know the spirit's joy in terror.  And he who is not a bird shall not make his home above abysses.
      You are tepid: but all deep knowledge flows cold.  The innermost wells of the spirit are ice-cold: a refreshment to hot hands and handlers.
In truth, you do not know the spirit's pride!  But even less could you endure the spirit's modesty, if it should ever deign to speak!" [TSZ, Philosophers]

Nietzsche wrote:
"       "'I shall return, with this sun, with this earth, with this eagle, with this serpent - not to a new life or a better life or a similar life:
      "' I shall return eternally to this identical and self-same life, in the greatest things and in the smallest, to teach once more the eternal recurrence of all things." [TSZ, Convalescent, 2]

Nietzsche wrote:
"       "Tell me, my animals: all these Higher Men - do they perhaps not smell well?  Oh pure odours around me!  Only now do I know and feel how I love you, my animals."
      And Zarathustra said again: "I love you, my animals!"  But the eagle and the serpent pressed around him when he said these words, and looked up at him.  All three stood silently together in this attitude, and sniffed and breathed in the good air together.  For the air here outside was better than with the Higher Men." [TSZ, Melancholy, 1]

Nietzsche wrote:
                                   "Or like the eagle staring
                                     Long, long into abysses,
                                     Into its abysses:
                                     Oh how they circle down,
                                     Under and in,
                                     Inter ever deeper depths!
                                     Then,
                                     Suddenly, with straight aim,
                                     Quivering flight,
                                     They pounce on lambs,
                                     Headlong down, ravenous,
                                     Lusting for lambs,
                                     Angry at all lamb-souls,
                                     Fiercely angry at all that look
                                     Sheepish, lamb-eyed, curly-woolled,
                                     Grey with lamb-sheep kindliness!

Thus,
                                     Eaglelike, pantherlike,
                                     Are the poet's desires,
                                     Are your desires under a thousand masks,
                                     You fool!  You poet!" [TSZ, Mlancholy, 3]

Nietzsche wrote:
"       "For fear - is the exception with us.  Courage, however, and adventure and joy in the unknown, the unattempted - courage seems to me the whole pre-history of man.
      "He has envied the wildest, most courageous animals all their virtues and robbed them of them: only thus did he become - man.
      "This courage, at length grown subtle, spiritual, intellectual, this human courage with eagle's wings and serpent's wisdom: this, it seems to me, is today called - "" [TSZ, Science]

Nietzsche wrote:
""Come!  Come!  Midnight is coming on!" and his voice had altered.  But still he did not move from his place: then it grew yet more still and mysterious, and everything listened, even the ass and Zarathustra's animals of honour, the eagle and the serpent, likewise Zarathustra's cave and the great, cool moon and the night itself.  Zarathustra, however, laid his hand to his lips for the third time and said:
      "Come!  Come!  Come!  Let us walk now!  The hour has come: let us walk into the night!" [TSZ, Intoxicated Song, 2]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series Empty

Back to top Go down

Nietzsche's Zarathustra Series
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1