Synecdoche, New York
The Station Agent
Happiness
Life is Sweet
Magnolia
Back to top Go down
Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Can't believe I omitted this one. The Wicker Man, not the trashy American remake, but the British original.

Quote :
The Wicker Man is a 1973 British horror film directed by Robin Hardy and written by Anthony Shaffer. The film stars Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, Diane Cilento, Ingrid Pitt, and Britt Ekland. Paul Giovanni composed the soundtrack. The film is now considered a cult classic. Inspired by the basic scenario of David Pinner's 1967 novel Ritual, the story centres on the visit of Police Sergeant Neil Howie to the isolated island of Summerisle, in search of a missing girl the locals claim never existed. Howie, a devout Christian, is appalled to find that the inhabitants of the island practise a form of Celtic paganism.
http://www.solarmovie.so/watch-the-wicker-man-1973.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reasonvemotion

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:59 am

Buffalo 66

Vincent Gallo, Christina Ricci, Anjelica Huston, Ben Gazzara

A bleak, outstandingly creative film...(Gallo's) wounded, embittered performance is captivating, and so is his filmmaking.

Layla: Can I have a hug then?

Billy Brown: Oh man. Come on. Can we just shake hands.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Blackfish.

A film in a similar vein to Grizzly Man, concerning the stupidity and lack of foresight of humans who keep wild animals around for entertainment purposes.

Incredibly, the whales seem to possess almost human intelligence and a greater level of dignity and self respect than even their human trainers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545118/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 am

Valhalla Rising

Basic Plot
A thousand years ago. One-Eye, an enigmatic, mute warrior-slave, is freed from captivity and falls in with a party of Christian Vikings who set out for the Holy Land but cross the wrong sea and reach America, where they are overwhelmed by the vast land and its potentially hostile inhabitants.

One of the great science fiction films. Set under a time of great religious strife; with the transition from Mythology to Christianity. Follows the narrative of a man who is the personification of nature it self. The absence of any emotion, past or future, simply being. In which he follows the transition of a slave/creature into a warrior and eventually a God (Odin). The Christians in search of redemption, instead enter the realm of the dead, where they are confronted by the natural order. Extremely subtly and psychedelic, at the same time beautifully shot, yet very slow. Highly symbolic; almost cult like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:11 pm

There will be blood, that was an excellent movie ( Valhalla rising ). I think Satyr would enjoy it too as a lot of what he talks about, e.g., nihilism, nature, anti-nature, etc is symbolized in it.

One-Eye (that main character) is a badass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:38 am

Rampage

Finally, a movie from Hollywood that doesn't have any liberal, egalitarian, slave moral, happy ending underpinnings. This film is brutal, barbaric, ferocious, gory, and highly anti-egalitarian. It is what Social Darwinism looks like in the extreme; a young man takes it to himself to rid the Earth of degenerates via his own form of population control with high powered assault rifles and explosives. This movie is not for those who relish in the pretense of civility and righteousness.

Watch it for free on Youtube in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGFea7JuFw
Back to top Go down
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Highlander - 1986

I like that one.

"There can be only one."
Fun, action, romance a bit cheesy... 80s movie.

Link to the movie, not HD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Dude this is the one and only Highlander movie to rule them all. Better expressed in cartoon form. Easier to immerse into. I love the general atmosphere and ideas within the plot. The only flaw is i would of sided with the Apollonian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

The Apollonian? His idea is to kill everybody with a virus so he can 'rule' (I wonder who) together with his babe (Well, that answers who he's gonna rule). The thing is that those immortals are infertile. So it's basically the same as ending all of humanity. Leaving behind something which won't die and always remain within the limitations of what it is. What remains is, who of those two will kill whom first or kill themselves.

Maybe Texhnolyze is something for you.

It's about order and chaos and madness. It's violent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm

I watched Highlander the other night. Good movie. Thanks for the recommendation, Anfang.
Back to top Go down
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Yeah, I get what you're saying, characters to stubborn, one dimensional, and unable to evolve. Essence is change, change is survival, stay still and die. The conception of Rome is what intrigued me. The ideal of it will always exist, if not physically, within the transcendent, in his mind. Given the nature of man it may never be achieved, but the immortal resemblance of it persists. These immortals are rather to be taken as personifications of eternal ideals.

Never heard of Texhnolyze, it looks good, I'll check it out, thanks.

I've watched a couple of anime series, to me they are much more entertaining and intelligent than most the American garbage these days. Although the only one I've seen so far that i would call brilliant is Welcome to the NHK.

Semi-autobiographical, I don't think I've seen some one illustrate post-modern nihilism and all of it's side effects better. Whatever is going on in Japan; its very interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 pm

I've watched some anime but that's all old stuff.
I've watched Death Note, that one was fun. A student finds the book of a death god (Shinigami) and when he writes down the name of a person, into said book, then that person dies. He wants to make the world a better place and get rid of the scum and writes down the names of criminals and so on... things escalate... a cat and mouse game begins, killing off all those who investigate him. He's very cunning and manipulative. It's like watching him evolve from the self-'righteous' guardian of society into an 'amoral' sinister creature with a god complex, while being under pressure of survival. It's about deceptiveness, feminine tactics and lies - trying to kill off the investigative team and not getting caught in the process. Both, the chief investigator and the student are likeable. Actually they are quite similar with their rational approach, trying to outsmart each other.

That Welcome to the NHK looks funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Death Note was great. Although too ridiculous and over-exaggerated at times. It also uses the itself of the cheap cliffhanger episode endings. But most of the American shows use that kind of stuff anyways. Watching it gives you the feel of a megalomaniac, the sensation of seeing him win becomes addicting. I was genuinely excited the last episode, it would of been more satisfying if he would of won. But that wouldn't of been art, which is supposed to imitate life. Now that i think about it Japanese entertainment holds closer to the Ancient Greek. Possibly due to their Shinto Religion.

Quote :
Greek tragedy: the tragic hero of the drama, the main protagonist, struggles to make order (in the Apollonian sense) of his unjust and chaotic (Dionysian) fate, though he dies unfulfilled in the end. For the audience of such a drama, Nietzsche claimed, this tragedy allows us to sense an underlying essence, what he called the "Primordial Unity", which revives our Dionysian nature — which is almost indescribably pleasurable.
Most American stuff holds true to the same pattern of revealing a basic situation, then a problem is introduced, and an inevitable resolution. The predictability of the good guy always winning is what makes it so bland. I like the stuff where there's genuine ambiguity and the bad guy wins, even though you would of expected otherwise.

In contrast to the Japanese stuff, there's a universal problem, the protagonist has a striving against it, and meets an epic defeat.

Quote :
Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back.
America is to superstitious, it clings onto any sort of death denial. Materialism, fundamentalism, mysticism, heroification, etc. Everything becomes the reverse in search of this unconscious desire. Suicide becomes taboo, because it delegitimizes the sanctity of life, revealing unconscious anxiety and doughs.

In Japan it's a more acceptable act. Sometimes to the extent of glorification. Humans are more like objects to be maneuvered, than souls to be judged. In this they are more intact with nature.

Shinto inspired anime, relates to the topic. Pretty fucking good, all things considered.

This one is almost entirely American in its essence. Although pretty fun if you have ever played an MMO. Really Americas main export is a deadly parasitic culture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyssa
Har Har Harr

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 pm

The outcomes of Sheltering...

Black Swan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 am

Back to top Go down
Ephemeron

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Metropolis, Directed by Fritz Lang based on the work of Thea von Harbou.  

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

View user profile http://satyr.canadian-forum.com/
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:32 pm

reasonvemotion

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Death of a Salesman, one of Arthur Miller's masterpieces.

Arthur Miller, the Jew.

Arthur Miller the playwright.

Death of a Salesman, the poignant story of the death of hope.  It is only as we get older and life has had it's way with us, that we can appreciate Miller's emotional complexity.  A wonderful writer and a wonderful film

"The Jews are peculiarly and conspicuously the world's intellectual aristocracy".   Mark Twain.

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Who, but a Jew, would see the horror of Modernity and families living within Judeo-Christian values?

One can be intelligent and a degenerate, all at once.

reasonvemotion

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Satyr wrote:

Quote :

That's why those who have both are doubly fortunate.

Jews "degenerate"? Showing evidence of decline? History tells us the Egyptian, the Babylonians both had their moment of splendour, as did the Greeks and the Romans. They all fell. The Jew has seen it all and shows no signs of decadence, no weakening, while all other powers have been extinguished, the Jew still remains, oh and let us not forget Arthur Miller, the Jew's prowess.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:22 am

I don't care how talented or immortal they are. They are my enemy.

And if they are truly God's immortal people, then God is my enemy too.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:13 pm

reasonvemotion wrote:
Satyr wrote:

Quote :

That's why those who have both are doubly fortunate.

Jews "degenerate"?  Showing evidence of decline?   History tells us the Egyptian, the Babylonians both had their moment of splendour, as did the Greeks and the Romans.  They all fell.   The Jew has seen it all and shows no signs of decadence, no weakening, while all other powers have been extinguished, the Jew still remains, oh and let us not forget Arthur Miller, the Jew's prowess.  

The Jewish meme is one that seduces from within.
It sells what it does not adhere to.
It places its ego outside of itself so that it cannot be challenged.
Like all viruses it thrives when a culture declines.

In out time, the decay has placed the virus in a position of power, forcing it into exposing its contradiction
How does the virus that sells weakness as a virtue then deal with power when the body it infects begins to wane?

It changes skin, it adapts, it contradicts itself.
The Jewish paradox ...also called Zionism.

I've gone into the three types of Zionism:
Spiritual, Political, and Cultural.
And when I say Jew, I include the christian and Islamic variants of the same nihilistic meme.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Laconian wrote:
Lyssa wrote:

Even Art becomes a source for "extracting information".
Books become a resource for "extracting information". !
In-form-ation. You are either in-form(-ed) or you are out-of-form. Formation means order. In-formation means in order. Instead of: out of order (=chaos). See: my topic "Esotericism 101" in the Lyceum. It is: you are either breathing in or breathing out. Focused or relaxed. The symbols here are the triangle (male) and the circle (female). You as a female are more closer to the circle. The relaxation. But in-form-ation (triangle) is one important factor for me in todays movies. Without information it is mere meditation. And therefor I don't need movies at all, I could look at classic paintings from higher Art Eras than ours (see above list by Oswald Spengler), if I want to feel in a certain mood. Or put on soothing music, light incence and sit on a cushion.

Wrong. The alternation of Inhalation [ham] and Exhalation [sa] is to regularize a Form, a stability, a constant rhythm upon which one can 'rest' [Emptiness] and build, free the mind for focus. Hence the hamsa - the discriminating swan, the apollonian bird, both to the greeks and to the Vedantins. You keep one thing relatively stable and try to build upon it - the same concept as in the movie 'Inception' - the penetration into successive dream-spaces - tearing of the sheaths of consciousness, standing on the basis of a timer. This is what Meditation literally is - to "build layers" to place your foot to ascend, a 'stairway to heaven', if you will.

Breath-contol Meditation is the basis of awakening the Kundalini - sustaining a constancy upon which one makes the energy rise; I like these diagrams:

Prana flowing in Ida or Pingala

Prana flowing in Ida and Pingala

With that stabilized, Prana made to flow in the Sushumna

Kundalini energy awakened

The rest kept constant, Kundalini rising

Kundalini rises to crown chakra

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Back to top Go down
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Gratitude for enlightening one to such national treasure.

I loved the movie Pieta. In response I'll give you the only movies that ever actually moved me.

The Elephant Man

Leaving Las Vegas

They Shoot Horses, Don´t They?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyssa
Har Har Harr

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:16 pm

You're welcome Blood.

Naturally I've seen the second; prefer his performance more in 'Vampire's Kiss' - real genius. I'll try to catch the others over the hols. maybe.

Back to top Go down
There Will Be Blood

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:35 am

The good ol' days when movies used to have a soul. Amazed in how suspenseful a movie can be if you actually care about the characters. Older movies require so much more from the viewer. Whatever may be lacking in graphics is certainly more than made up for in subtlety and elegance.

Possible one of the most bad ass movies ever. Just pure entertainment as it was meant to be. Although must be seen in Italian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reasonvemotion

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:31 am

Ben Affleck pales into insignificance when comparing him to his brother Casey.

The Killer inside me, Casey Affleck

Riveting and chilling, a movie I will never forget.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi275187481/

and his latest movie, Out of the Furnace.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1206543/

fight scenes similar to The Fight Club

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces

Back to top Go down

Cinematic Masterpieces
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next