Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Empty
PostSubject: Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 pm

"George West’s 1985 documentary about Almeda Riddle, the Arkansas folk singer who was 'discovered' by John Quincy Wolf Jr. and, later, recorded by Alan Lomax for his Sounds of the South collection. Riddle attained a measure of stardom in the midcentury American folk revival, working and touring to spread her music."

Wikipedia: Almeda Riddle

Back to top Go down
Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

PostSubject: Re: Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 pm

"You don't perform a sad ballad like Four Marys, you just get behind it. Let them see Mary Hamilton walking down to the seashore to have a baby all alone. Just present it. Let them see the betrayal. Let them see the suffering that you're trying to portray. If you'll get behind it they'll see it. If you get in front of it they'll just see you and just get disgusted."

"It wouldn't be interesting if there wasn't some history to it. I might hear a beautiful song today that had been written yesterday....I might sing it a little while but it wouldn't interest me a lot and a little while it'd fade out. These things that have come down orally over the centuries had to be the cream of the crop or they'da died out a long time ago."
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm

What a nice find.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Cold Weasel

Cold Weasel

PostSubject: Re: Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 pm

My grandparents knew some of these songs. I was a baby the first and only time I heard them.

The cruel irony to the so-called folk revival is that most of those whose legacy was being preserved were more interested in survival and maintaining material wealth, so they adopted urbanization and the dominant cultures of New York and LA, while these cities and multicultural centers is where these traditional rural forms ended up. (For me, Bob Dylan is a symbol of this process.) The baby-boomers in the countryside, at least my parents, were won over by rock music from the cities, transmitted on AM stations and through television.

I could pretend to have inherited these traditional forms from my grandparents, but mimetically it's not true. My parents had virtually no part in it and in fact didn't like it. They had personal problems with their parents; from what I understand, the cultural generation gap between the baby boomers and their parents was enormous. So it was not transmitted to me orally.

This is another thing that without the internet I may not have learned about. Luckily my parents interested me in music at an early age and as they grow older they honor their parents more, and are interested in rediscovering traditional music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Almeda Riddle: Now Let's Talk About Singing Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1