Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The meta-physics of weight lifting.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I don't mind constructive criticism, but I havn't seen much of it on this thread. Lots of drivel about weightlifting being a futile surrogate activity and homosexual bodybuilders. Nothing of substance. What am I compensating for? Take a stab in the dark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:42 pm

You tell me. It's a fringe anonymous forum that exchanges ideas in pursuit intellectual curiosity. Everything you say is extremely biased and personal. As if there's any kind of emotional relationships going around. Maybe you got mommy issues, go deal with them first, then return and be more objective + non-personal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:52 pm

So I weight-lift because of mommy issues? That's cute, blood. I admire your challenging spirit, but it's mistaken.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Deflection, deflection, deflection.

In relative terms you could seen as a sycophant version of all of these retards who come here to best Satyr. Not realizing that they have already lost when they have decided to go onto some forum and spill their guts for everyone to see. You should become more cold hearted, it's healthier, and more clarifying. Although perhaps are we born these ways, something in ones nature.

Last edited by There Will Be Blood on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 pm

See. You have still not learned. What did i say above?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Wow where did that come from? Completely irrelevant. I agree with the bulk of Satyr's material, but not everything. Try to best him? I didn't come here for that. I rarely try to refute him. Nice last resort though, blood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Ehm, is this a joke? Google the word sycophant, if you didn't understand. See that's the thing, this is all fun, but you obviously can't think very clearly. You have totally misunderstood. Try to remove emotional interests, read again, and treat it all as a puzzle.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Primal says, "Some people are trying to overcomplicate and take shots at my weight-lifting mission. Haters are gonna hate."

To him, any diverse views on the subject immediately become "hatred".
How emotional of him.

Asceticism at its core is basically the production and Harnessing of heat, fervour.

Its about becoming your own self-sufficient source of energy, like the sun. In I.E. theology, the sun is regarded as the greatest ascetic producing its own heat, and as a by-the-way bringing life to something [an earth] in the process.

What is 'body'-building when the senses don't sharpen and emotions aren't disciplined and the spirit doesn't disengage with the mundane and tend to simplification, spontaneity, simultaneously with physical effort? It becomes body-production.

What is 'body-building' when you have not built your ear-muscles along-with the rest?

His shortcuts like doing drugs to feeling good or building body is justified with some half-baked reading of Nietzsche saying, "good is all that increases the feeling of power"... That would justify any kind of degenerate lifestyle. To a rapist, good is.... ?

He's more concerned in wanting to Appear intimidating and strong and masculine.

The image of strength is no substitute for strength.

The feeling and euphoria of power is no substitute for power.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*

Last edited by Lyssa on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Ah, look! Lyssa decided to tag-team with ya. I know what a yes-man is, Blood. But I insinuated that I wasn't here to best Satyr. And why would I try to best Satyr via being a yes-man? Makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Primal Rage wrote:
Ah, look! Lyssa decided to tag-team with ya.
Are you hurt? Lets go to the bathroom together.

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Only if you show your tits.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Only if you drink my pee like you wanted to.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:34 pm

I was kind of expecting something more witty...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 pm

It's all a puzzle! You and the haters presumably get satisfaction from differing emotional responses of kinds. Whereas this is more of a place to solve puzzles. Why spill your emotional guts and be personal unless you want to get some kind of emotional validation or something in return?  

Others get emotional satisfaction trying to best Satyr. You get it from validation, and besting dissenters, why else could you not of understood what Ive said. Both factions have already lost in even doing so. The point is that is what the real life is for. Be less emotional here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:42 pm

"Be less emotional here."

You, really, think I will obey your demands? Pathetic. I do what I want. If you don't like it, fuck off and have a nice day Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 pm

perpetualburn wrote:

Quote :
Weight lifting is incredibly useless and it is a poor substitute to compensate where strength is not naturally developed from real physical labor or activity
Useless... that's why fighters lift, right?  It's good for your overall health and mental well being... Physical labor,lol... you mean that physical labor where people develop countless injuries after years of slaving away, putting their bodies in very unnatural positions to make a buck... What's real "activity"... like running outside?  Why can't running and lifting be apart of one's workout routine?  It's preferable to have some type of lifting in ones exercise routine (doesn't necessarily have to be bodybuilding )
From what I've inferred of Ephemeron,, body-building ought to be an activity working with/against nature, the natural process of interacting with nature in its many forms, mundane as they maybe, yet, bonding with the natural. Hence you have the Asians relating fitness to carrying wood or water to irrigate their fields... it gets woven into a whole ecology; as opposed to the gym where the body is built but the scope flowing out of this labour is restricted to personal form, endurance, etc.

To some people a 'body' doesn't stop at the tip of their five fingers; the body exceeds out "as" bigger ecologies and shaping those ecologies too.

To the ancient Indo-Greeks, the whole world was the gym you trained in. This is the antique meaning of a Cosmopolitan.

To continue with the N. quote that Primal conveniently perverts and does not quote in full, "Good is all that increases the feeling of power" is a Seeking of Resistances, Not Indulgence. The world from the mundane activity from sharpening a pencil to sharpening a sword can be a seeking of resistances.

Its the attitude with which you behold even a blade of grass is what counts, and is what the Masculine is about.

To some people like Primal, body-building, drugs, sports, etc.  turns into an Indulgence.

This, of course, is a Dionysian perspective.

Last edited by Lyssa on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Funny stuff, proving my point without even realizing it. It's all just a puzzle. They should call me Dr House.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Whatever helps you sleep better at night, blood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:54 pm

lololol, that is funny too. Reversing everything i said back onto me. Nah I don't think that works. Good move though. You where trapped in a catch-22. Be honest and admit i have won this game. Then perhaps you have started to learn. Otherwise I think you're hopeless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Now you are asking that I symbolically bow before you in submission?

Pay attention to the latter part of the scene. This will give you a better understanding of what I previously mentioned about taking orders from others since you didn't seem to comprehend before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm

This is the 21st century. The mind is the only weapon of significance. Maybe you should sharpen it. It starts with restructuring thought patterns and the ego. Adaption is the name of the game, so what is your strategy? Living in the past, that's why you are nihilistic.

The movie 300 is a display of post-modern nihilistic angst.

Join a medieval live action role-playing game, or watch this movie and quit your childish ways. It's a cure, rather than an escape, for your illness.

Why So Serious?
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:49 pm

One should also note that a display of masculine virility may also produce a show of ressentiment in inferior males.
Vanity becomes homoeroticism, strength becomes overcompensation.... and such.

Envy is overturned by recasting virtues as flaws. The object must be diminished in one's eyes in order for one to cope; one is then not as small in comparison.

Know Thyself.

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am

The bully only attacks those he senses weakness in. If you own it, then the sharks never come to eat.

Lets put a smile on that face.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Lyssa wrote:

Asceticism at its core is basically the production and Harnessing of heat, fervour.

Its about becoming your own self-sufficient source of energy, like the sun. In I.E. theology, the sun is regarded as the greatest ascetic producing its own heat, and as a by-the-way bringing life to something [an earth] in the process.

What is 'body'-building when the senses don't sharpen and emotions aren't disciplined and the spirit doesn't disengage with the mundane and tend to simplification, spontaneity, simultaneously with physical effort? It becomes body-production.

What is 'body-building' when you have not built your ear-muscles along-with the rest?

His shortcuts like doing drugs to feeling good or building body is justified with some half-baked reading of Nietzsche saying, "good is all that increases the feeling of power"... That would justify any kind of degenerate lifestyle. To a rapist, good is....  ?

He's more concerned in wanting to Appear intimidating and strong and masculine.

The image of strength is no substitute for strength.

The feeling and euphoria of power is no substitute for power.
What is bodybuilding when you have "built your ear-muscles along-with the rest?"

Quote :
From what I've inferred of Ephemeron,, body-building ought to be an activity working with/against nature, the natural process of interacting with nature in its many forms, mundane as they maybe, yet, bonding with the natural. Hence you have the Asians relating fitness to carrying wood or water to irrigate their fields... it gets woven into a whole ecology; as opposed to the gym where the body is built but the scope flowing out of this labour is restricted to personal form, endurance, etc.

To some people a 'body' doesn't stop at the tip of their five fingers; the body exceeds out "as" bigger ecologies and shaping those ecologies too

I don't believe this.  Bodybuilding can help keep that internal fire burning and thus the expansion of your influence into other areas... Just because the laborer or Asian is working with "natural" materials doesn't necessarily imply a greater "bonding" with the world, or a life that is any more "natural" either... A bodybuilder who doesn't fit into that indulgent category, develops a certain presence...The world has become more sophisticated so should the means of bonding.  The activity of fitness and our effective spiritual descriptions should keep pace with technology.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 pm

perpetualburn wrote:

What is bodybuilding when you have "built your ear-muscles along-with the rest?"
I was addressing Primal; I believe he lacks focus and his attention span is low.

Quote :

Quote :

To some people a 'body' doesn't stop at the tip of their five fingers; the body exceeds out "as" bigger ecologies and shaping those ecologies too
I don't believe this.  Bodybuilding can help keep that internal fire burning and thus the expansion of your influence into other areas... Just because the laborer or Asian is working with "natural" materials doesn't necessarily imply a greater "bonding" with the world, or a life that is any more "natural" either... A bodybuilder who doesn't fit into that indulgent category, develops a certain presence...The world has become more sophisticated so should the means of bonding.  The activity of fitness and our effective spiritual descriptions should keep pace with technology.
I already stated I was offering the Dionysian perspective on this.
I refer you to the second part of this essay on the difference between
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
, applying the same to the body.

Last edited by Lyssa on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Perpetualburn wrote: " I don't believe this.  Bodybuilding can help keep that internal fire burning and thus the expansion of your influence into other areas... Just because the laborer or Asian is working with "natural" materials doesn't necessarily imply a greater "bonding" with the world, or a life that is any more "natural" either... A bodybuilder who doesn't fit into that indulgent category, develops a certain presence...The world has become more sophisticated so should the means of bonding.  The activity of fitness and our effective spiritual descriptions should keep pace with technology."

You got it, man.

He ( the guy in the video below ) shares a similar view to how I view weight-lifting. Pay attention especially toward the latter part of the video if you do watch.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Primal's theme song

That's right, I'm jumping on the bandwagon....Just kidding. Your contributions to this forum is much appreciated Primal. However, blood has a fair point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Ha! Very good, probath. That made me smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 6:10 pm

I typically engage in exercise due to a restlessness/burning that I cannot focus. This same energy would likely be satiated by the cooling of success in intellectual competition - the dominance and steering of leaked passions by other human beings for the benefit of oneself - i.e. sexuality.

-off topic-
Brings up an interesting idea to me - that sexual conquest became less of a focus for human beings as the quality and necessity for nurture increased. While the base desire is still sexual, having mass amounts of children was evolved out of the psyche in exchange for sport. Improving oneself became a way to channel sexual energy that would otherwise go towards reproduction - that way one didn't find themselves with a mass of children they could not care or provide for, and instead focused on aggregating their life blood into one or two children. That, or it's religion's/patriarchy's/paternalism's fault that we do not fuck like rabbits.
Back to top Go down
Ephemeron

Ephemeron

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 am

Primal Rage wrote:

What motivates me?

Deep seated, unconscious rage. Before I perform a set of heavy singles on the deadlift, squat, and overhead press, I perform a ritual. I begin by pacing back and forth like a lion in a cage. As I do this, I focus intensely and start growling like a wild animal. I snarl and stare at the barbell - focusing my energies on the overcoming that is to come. I summon dark memories from my childhood, experiences of being bullied, misunderstood, abused, etc. I tap into my primal rage ( hence my username ). I walk up to the barbell and grip it tightly, and then in a burst of explosive rage and power, I press the barbell over my head vehemently. It takes all the energy in my being to overcome the force. I conquer it, staring into the mirror with the barbell over my head and a fierce look in my eyes. Victory! Power! Glory! It is one of the best highs ever.

After the domination of the barbell, the feeling of euphoric rage stays with me for about 5 minutes. It is a very emotionally overwhelming experience; essentially a divine experience. I feel cosmic power in my arms and fists. I want more! I want to exert more force and power!
I did not imagine or conceive of a way to discredit you, you did so yourself.  Look above, you have not "driven your enemies before you"  you have not "heard the lament of their women" as you "crush them beneath your heel".  See what you yourself have written, your anger, your hatred for your enemies, your memories of childhood experiences of being bullied, your rejection of the world today, these you admit are your real drives.  Yet this is not really the solution, lifting weights and punching a heavy bag is only a tame way to unleash your aggression, to let off steam, bread and circuses.  As a means to fight it is relevant only so long as your opponents are "civil" and do not fight dirty.  It is good for a "fight club" but this too is a surrogate activity.  If I have any impression on you, if my criticism is of any help is to say this:  Abandon the surrogate for the actual.  To say "I prefer the wolf to the dog, the dog that bites and growls at me to the dog that cowers and hides, the enemy to the friend, the conflict to the peace,  and all that is truly resistance and acts naturally against my striving.  Resistance is a means to propulsion, to acceleration, the blood cell has velocity because it is in a vein.  I am the energy trapped inside a conduit, and the greater the resistance the greater my rate of travel, velocity is power, power is flow, flow is conductivity, and direction is the means to the end and that end is activity, unlimited and unceasing.

[
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The meta-physics of weight lifting. The meta-physics of weight lifting.  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The meta-physics of weight lifting.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next