Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Laughter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Laughter Laughter EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

This is not a topic aimed at LaughingMan, despite him surely having a thing or two to say... I'm really aiming this at Fixed Cross, Lyssa, Satyr or anyone else who has a good knowledge of ancient medical psycho-physiological system such as the Ayurveda etc. Or possibly even some of the psychoanalytic literature.

What role does laughter play in the overall maintenance of the psycho-physical well-being of the organism? We know that laughter is an expression of excess energy. By why does it come to and is expended more frequently by some organisms than others? Why is it expressed in times of inner moral conflict (such as soldiers gunning down 'terrorists' whom they can barely see in a modern battlefront)? Is there something to do with a blockage of certain meridian channels and pranic energy not being able to flow appropriately? Does it have any relationship with the psychoanalytical concept of armour, described in the Jan Fries book Helrunar that Fixed Cross linked to?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:43 pm

Laughter is the releasing of repressed nervous energy.
In comedy, or when we laugh at another, it is a recognition of a possible plight which afflicts another.
That it might me our own fate, but is not, is perceived as a relief.
Usually the plight is unexpected, expressing the infinite unknown, possibilities that might affect us.

Only an organism with a deeper perceptual-event-horizon, the imagination to project forward and to sample backwards, can experience the comedy/tragedy of the existential condition: an ordering within a chaotic world of uncertainties.

Why is this in the Palaistra?

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:52 pm

The Palaistra is for all thing fitness/health related. Laughter expressed as a release of repressed nervous energy is surely good for the health/mental fitness of the overall organism.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 pm

If that's the case then I've been getting a lot of exercise lately.

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:01 pm

I remember reading a piece you wrote on modern day comedians and how they appeal to the democratic issue of the time, appealing to the mass. Did you contrast them with comedians from Ancient times or those from a few decades ago? Anyway, I can't take modern comedians seriously anymore, although I never really did enjoy laughing purely because everyone else was laughing and laughter is infectious.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:05 pm

SuperfluousMass wrote:
I remember reading a piece you wrote on modern day comedians and how they appeal to the democratic issue of the time, appealing to the mass. Did you contrast them with comedians from Ancient times or those from a few decades ago? Anyway, I can't take modern comedians seriously anymore, although I never really did enjoy laughing purely because everyone else was laughing and laughter is infectious.

I think the only real difference is quantity of ambitious comedians, and the quality of the audience they must appeal to.

In the ancient world only the best works got to be presented to the public; today every stage with an open-mike is available to any wannabe ambitious "funny man", and the audience, being of a lower caliber, must be fed what it can comprehend - if you want to make it big, that is.

Then again, I have no clue what I am talking about...as is evident by my recent defeat...so never-mind.
Alls good....the best comedy is today, and the audience is more sophisticated than it was before.

Sponsored content

Laughter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laughter Laughter Empty

Back to top Go down

Laughter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1