Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Baltasar Gracián

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:01 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
''The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a summary of the Criticón, reduced almost to the point of a sketch, of a complex work that demands detailed study.

Critilo, man of the world, is shipwrecked on the coast of the island of Santa Elena, where he meets Andrenio, the natural man, who has grown up completely ignorant of civilization. Together they undertake a long voyage to the Isle of Immortality, travelling the long and prickly road of life.''

Nietzsche wrote of the Oráculo, "Europe has never produced anything finer or more complicated in matters of moral subtlety," and Schopenhauer, who translated it into German, considered the book "Absolutely unique... a book made for constant use...a companion for life" for "those who wish to prosper in the great world."

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 pm

''On the earthly theatre is the singing (it is more alike to groaning) to be heard of the paradise birds with their ivory beaks.
They too had no legs, because the earth’s surface is no place to them.''

’'A good self-examination is the master-key to the heart of another’’  

''Your value is as much as you have endured’’

All from the Criticon though I do not remember which Critic (''chapter'') nor what the official English translation would be.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:35 pm

To what extent is Christian morality punctuated in it?

Back to top Go down
Drome

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm

I was going to start a thread on B.G myself but did not know what to write. He is an interesting author, wish I knew more like him. I got the idea to read him from you OhFortunae (and your other recommendation, Montaigne) and bought a book by him called "A pocket mirror for heroes". Just a book with maxims , explained.

Also bought a penguin book called "how to use your enemies" , with text taken from B.G

That one is full of stuff like this:

Baltasar wrote:
Find everyone’s weak spot. This is the art of moving people’s wills. It consists more in skill than determination – a knowledge of how to get inside each person. Everyone’s will has its own particular predilection, all different according to the variety of tastes. We all idolize something: for some, esteem; for others, self-interest; and for most, pleasure. The trick to influencing people lies in knowing what they idolize. Knowing each person’s driving impulse is like having the key to their will. You should go direct to what most motivates a person, normally something base rather than anything noble, for there are more self-indulgent people than self-controlled ones in the world. You should first divine someone’s character, then touch upon their fixation, and take control of their driving passion which, without fail, will defeat their free will.

I dont know how to upload kindle books you bought, though, so I cant share any.

What I would be really thankful for is a translation of "The Critic" , in english, that uses modern language. If there is one, do you/anyone know where it could be bought? I did look on amazon but there was nothing ,as I remember.

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Not much, one chapter in the Criticon is very much dedicated to ''the Godly Order'', but it has been noted that this was to not come into conflict with the church. He published multiple of his books, even though with references to god, with use of a pseudonym to not be exiled by the church. A lot of Noble encouragements, you will read the Criticon allegorically, as it happens as well it is symbolically. Also a lot of Hellenic mythology and gods and godesses. But his perspective on Immortality as you can read in the last critic, is not because of God and paradise, but Noble Greatness: Alexander the Great, Achilles, great warriors, leaders, philosophers; the fools, the dwarfs and the moderates have no chance to pass the gates of Immortality - only the Great.

His use of words in some regards are alike to that of Nietzsche (Nietzsche got influenced by him, but you cannot build upon a style or simply understand it if you don't have it in you already - so each his own respectable distinctive character no matter how much alike).

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."

Last edited by OhFortunae on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Drome, I think the link will suffice as reasonable English and not expect much more, which I had put under the portrait, but without the notes you will miss-out a lot. I read his books in excellent Dutch translations with valuable notes, you could try maybe in Swedish; the English speakers have only learned to value his aphorisms.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 am

Well, thanks for sharing this refresher. I am also able to see that spirit of style which weaved through him also inspirited Nietzsche as well as, a recent discovery, Kazantzakis.

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 10:37 am

The Life Artist, Chapter 2, Authority in speaking and acting, Academic oration

''Authority ennobles all human actions and this can be read off from the countenance, where dignity is seated. Even from walking, because in the track somebody leaves behind usually states the imprint of his heart.''

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

Judging the economically motivated, American Modern by looking at the cover they chose for the book, you can see how they see ''wisdom'', the Art of Living, how to practise it and achieve greatness, the American Dream, nobility - men and emancipated women in suit and tie all eager to work themselves to the top. That is how they understand his book. By judging too how popular his maxims are in contrast to his Criticon - not even one decent paper translation from the last century; the Anglo-Saxons have no appetite, no taste for such thoroughly well thought and written book, no taste for the Ancients, no understanding of Greatness unrelated to Economic context. Of course our globalized ideals are Economic with their minds in domination to represent their Art of Living.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:12 pm

’.. Thus they stay their whole lives as poor in intellect as they are rich with worthless stuff. Nobody lives as a human, except than he who knows.’’

‘’Vigour from that which discourages others.’’

‘’The artist of life should not bind to one single time expenditure or let his interest be defined by one thing, because that would be tantamount to an unfortunate limitation.’’

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:21 pm

''Do not say: ,,I came, I saw and I conquered (veni, vidi, vici)’’, but ,,I conquered and only then I saw and I was where I should be’’.''

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baltasar Gracián Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baltasar Gracián Baltasar Gracián Empty

Back to top Go down

Baltasar Gracián