Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Nicolás Gómez Dávila

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AutSider

AutSider

Nicolás Gómez Dávila Empty
PostSubject: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 am

I just came across this guy. He's a Colombian writer and reactionary and wrote mostly in aphorisms. His views are very similar to the ones espoused by most of us here on KT. Anybody know of him from before, has he been mentioned on the forum already?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some of his aphorisms sound like the summation of our, or at least my, views:

"Taste is relative" is the excuse adopted by those eras that have bad taste.
   The modernist object does not possess inner life; only internal conflicts.
   Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment.
   The criterion of "progress" between two cultures or two eras consists of a greater capacity to kill.
   The word "modern" no longer has an automatic prestige except among fools.
   Individualism is the cradle of vulgarity.
   The modernist thirst for originality makes the mediocre artist believe that the secret of originality consists simply in being different.
   In general, "historical necessity" turns out to be merely a name for human stupidity.
   Clarity of text is the sole incontrovertible sign of the maturity of an idea.
   If philosophy does not resolve any scientific problem, science, in its turn, does not resolve any philosophical problem.
   Truths are not relative. What is relative are opinions about truth.
   To tolerate does not mean to forget that what we tolerate does not deserve anything more.
   The difference between "organic" and "mechanical" in social matters is a moral one: the "organic" is the result of innumerable humble acts; the "mechanical" is the result of one decisive act of arrogance.
   The left claims that the guilty party in a conflict is not the one who covets another’s goods but the one who defends his own.

EDIT: Really, I might as well bold all of them, but I'll leave it like this

Somebody also made a twitter account posting his aphorisms:

This one, in particular, strongly reminds me of what Satyr says:

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties

And also:

Writing is the only way to distance oneself from the century in which it was one’s lot to be born.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am

It's always pleasing to find aware males and females.
Those who have the integrity, to hold themselves accountable to themselves, the courage, to accept what is, and the mind to perceive details, will inevitably reach a common destination in objectivity, even if through different subjective paths.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am

Interesting aphorisms. Specifically: "Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment."
Anyone involved only with the current times are not thinking ahead...

AutSider wrote:
Anybody know of him from before, has he been mentioned on the forum already?

Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:25 am

His intellect has a kindred spirit in Yockey. I'm gonna have to get my hands on a complete work of his. If you can track it down online and post it in our "found books" thread in the Adyton all the more appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 am

From what I see two books should be found....
Textos I

Notas I

From wikipedia this
Quote :
reality, he said, cannot be represented in a philosophical system
particularly touched me.
It is what I believe wholeheartedly.
I cannot write a book dedicated to a single topic but only post aphorisms and short essays.
A system becomes self-referential.
I've tried to escape this through randomness - chaos properly understood.
A philosophy has to be open-ended - in the ancient Aryan traditions, not enclosed.
I, like Nietzsche, consider myself a reporter, or a diagnostician, not his equal, but of his kind.
I deal with life, focusing no the human variety...and place metaphysics on a secondary position, that has to harmonize with physics, the physical.
BottomBut this does not place mankind as the centre, or the ideal, or the standard, but it places it as the conduit, the lens.

I also believe life, and the mind is 'reactionary', as I imply in my repeated description of (inter)activity.
Something that got me into trouble with a friend who had a different conception of life, as it was implied in Nietzsche's aphorisms.
Reactivity does not discredit life, nor does it insult the will.
It explains it.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 am

Philosophers have to become the lenses, the logos, through which man has a dialogue with the cosmos.

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I potentially found 2 books
Don Colacho's Aphorisms - Nicolas Gomez Davila
A Few Selected Aphorisms (tr Gilleland) - Nicolas Gomez-Davila

The first one seems much larger than the second one, apparently 388 pages of aphorisms.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Where are they?

Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm

I'll link them when I can get to that book server but the larger one can also be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Bravo Anfang!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nicolás Gómez Dávila Nicolás Gómez Dávila Empty

Back to top Go down

Nicolás Gómez Dávila
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA :: LYCEUM-
Jump to: