Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

repost of respect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OnWithTheirHead
hero
OnWithTheirHead

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am

Ok I tried to respond to one of Satyr's posts, where he defines the word respect. I couldn't find it, forumotion's search engine is to no avail, I tried doing it manually by reading all of Satyr's posts, after 7 pages I gave up. I looked in page 1 and page 9 of his words thread, could not find it. So I'm posting it here.

He defines the word as you respect someone who has the power to take away one of your needs. If I recall correctly, I can't find the thread so I'm not sure.

But I disagree with this definition, I think respect is different from fear. It's like hood-culture respect, druglords collecting hoes, not my definition. Now then you could then say the power to give your needs, but I disagree. Prostitutes give your needs but you don't respect 'em really.

My definition of respect is this. Some one you look up to. For instance, a man of peace.

Last edited by OnWithTheirHead on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 am

Respect = someone's capacity to deny you something, produces anxiety, which is dealt with by higher care, more caution, more self-reservation, deference, humility.
We respect someone if we fear he can deny us our life, our well-being, our wealth, or someone who may deny us himself, his support, guidance, knowledge, wisdom or any potential any possibility/probability we value etc.

Asian is not oriental only.
Asia is a huge continent....including the far east, the near east, the middle east.
My comment was more about the nearest, or Asia minor, middle-east region....closest to Europe where contact and produces cross-contamination.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
AutSider

AutSider

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Satyr wrote:
Respect = someone's capacity to deny you something, produces anxiety, which is dealt with by higher care, more caution, more self-reservation, deference, humility.
We respect someone if we fear he can deny us our life, our well-being, our wealth, or someone who may deny us himself, his support, guidance, knowledge, wisdom or any potential any possibility/probability we value etc.

It can also be based on our appreciation for what somebody has offered us in the past, even if they don't have anything to offer us now anymore. Hence why we respect our grandparents even when they cease being of any practical use. Though evolution dictates that this is a weakness of our emotional system. Cruel but hard to say it's wrong.

It makes sense to direct resources towards producing new life, not endlessly sustaining the old. Told my family that this is why I'd rather die in battle before I become too old and weak, and if I die before them they shouldn't do a costly burial and then buy stuff to bring to my grave but just burn my corpse and get on with their lives, better use that money for something useful and just remember me once a year lol. They weren't too happy to hear any of that.

Daemon
Satyr

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm

In that case the respect is about not losing a presence reminding you of something gained, something 'good', because if the memory is negative then the reminder would be unwanted and there would be no respect.
Additionally, something gained in the past, promises further offerings in the present and future.
One does not want to lose access, or the constant reminder.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 5:42 am

We've remained on a tangible genetic level to make the concept of 'respect' clear and not to mire it in innuendoes and abstractions.
But what if we add the component of meme into the concept, and what does self-respect mean?

First we must understand 'self' as a dynamic process, the culmination of a continuum as a presence.
It is an aggregate of patterns that have found harmony and interact with each other and with the environment.
Let's not become too metaphysical, by simply saying 'self' is probabilities, so its passage through time is a passage through possibilities.

So, respect is about preserving desirable possibilities, or by making them increasingly probable.
Respect for self is a desire to preserve, to not lose, the potential.

Who does a Christian 'respect' when he 'loves his neighbour', and who he may despise or be annoyed, bothered, by, or disapprove, or simply not know?
He does not want to lose what the abstraction 'god' represents in his mind. Abstraction means idea(l) or ideology. God, in the Abrahamic dogma is pure ideology, with no tangible presence...in fact the ideology contradicts or is contradicted by world, by experience, setting up the good/evil dualism for the Abrahamic....his god is all theoretical...pure theory, offering all sorts of promised costs/benefits.
The Christian does not want to lose this theoretical potential...for an afterlife, for a life with no suffering, for paradise.
He does not want to lose the theoretical possibilities. So he respects the neighbour through this ideology named God. In fact, he respects self through other. Abrahamism is deeply selfish, but masks it with abstractions and redirections and lies, making the revelation that all life is selfish a profound revelation of 'evil', a shocking 'insight'. Seeped in lies such a mind is shocked by any exposure to reality, including its own hidden motives.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 am

If we use a more healthy example and explore what does self-respect mean for an individual who would rather die than be degraded or shamed, or live without certain potentials.
Here the meme becomes a representation of a past, manifesting in him, as presence.
He respects himself through his dead or living ancestors, and through the potential his own children represent to him.
This 'self-respect' expresses itself through a denial to do, or endure, what will lose his past, or the respect of his ancestors. He does not want to lose his ancestors, as past (nature) and as a source of strength, guidance....either through their teachings or as they manifest through him, because they are part of his DNA.
Ancestry becomes a representation of his genetic memories, and disrespecting them, or losing their respect for him, would mean a loss of self-respect.
Self-respect means a desire to not lose any aspect of this continuum or to degrade any possibility that enhances its potentials, its future possibilities.

Why do we eat well, and exercise? to maintain ourselves at a present peak or so as to attain a higher peal, which expands our possibilities, or to convert them into probabilities - making the theoretically possible, into pragmatically probable, tangible, real.

Sponsored content

repost of respect Empty
PostSubject: Re: repost of respect repost of respect Empty

Back to top Go down

repost of respect
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1