Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Wants/Desires/Needs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Wants/Desires/Needs Empty
PostSubject: Wants/Desires/Needs Wants/Desires/Needs EmptySun Sep 25, 2022 8:57 am

The word ‘desire,’ with its sexual undertones, is best used to define a refinement of the term ‘want,’ i.e., ‘want’ is also a nuanced reference to need/suffering, focused upon a specific object/objective which promises to alleviate them.
‘Want’ is best applied in reference to memetic contexts, just as need/suffering is best applied within genetic contexts. The application is not arbitrary, nor is it redundant. It is a tool – just as all semiotics are – used to differentiate manifestations of need/suffering within different contexts; a tool for understanding, by categorizing, enhancing discrimination, i.e., consciousness/awareness.
Through the use of different words/symbols, i.e., codes, is similar to the practice of using different tools to perform different specialized jobs – meant to construct nuanced modifications to tried & tested functions.
This examination is necessary in order to justify the use of different terms, conventionally used as synonyms – I did the same thing with the concept of identity by using ‘self’ and ‘ego’ to differentiate the subconscious, intuitive part of consciousness form the lucid conscious part. In this case the differentiation between needs/desires must be juxtaposed to manufactured products/services which often gratify both organic needs and libidinal desires – I chose the term ‘wants’ to represent these culturally determined, socioeconomic, products – products of technological advancements and industrialization. A ‘want’ may promise the satisfaction of a ‘need,’ or the gratification of a ‘desire,’ but it may also be void of content and fail to satisfy either expectation; used to manipulate and exploit human nature.
A brief explanation
Need: spontaneous sensation of lack – depletion of energies perceived as a pull – produced by the totality of cellular interactivities transmitted to the brain, via the nervous system, interpreted by the mind as sensations; cellular energy depletions are transmitted to the brain with increasing intensity, if left unsatisfied over time.
‘Suffering’ is the term used to describe the intensity of this sensation determined by the organism’s constitution, i.e., pain/suffering tolerance threshold, and by the particular organism’s metabolic rhythms. Through the process of appropriating energies to replenish organic need, an accumulation of excess energies could be the consequence of multiple successful, energy efficient, events – directed to self-maintenance and the ‘healing’ produced by temporal attrition.
These accumulative energy excesses, i.e., superfluity, can produce to the sensation of an inversion of need, i.e., the inversion of need from a product of lack to a product of excess, felt as a desire to purge excess – these excess energies – e.g., libidinal – may also be kept on stand-by – for the fight/flight mechanism to function effectively – producing the side-effect of stress – i.e., restlessness, agitation etc.; this evolves into the practice of heterosexual reproduction, viz., redirecting these libidinal energies towards a synthesis with those of another, circumventing the pre-existing method of cellular division, i.e., mitosis.
Desire: accumulated energies – impulsive reactions to need – begin to pressure the organism to be purges, thusly relieving the strain/stress of storing them – holding them on stand-by – experienced as a sense of agitation, and stress, with no focus. An organism has a limit of how much excess energy it can store, before it must purge itself from them, relieving itself from the energy of maintaining them as a reliable source of easily accessible and immediately available energies.
In less sophisticated organisms, e.g., plants, such excess energies are directed primarily towards growth; in more sophisticated organisms, i.e., mammals, they are directed towards growth & movement, but there is a limit to growth determined by the requirement of movement within a given environment – planetary environmental conditions, such as gravity, geography and climate, but also by the organisms evolved survival strategy imposing physical requirements of mas and size; unused libidinal energies can then be redirected towards procreative strategies – in higher sophisticated organisms these same libidinal energies may also be redirected towards the creation of art.
Libidinal energies, and their accumulating rhythms, is what man calls ‘desire’. The object/objective of his/her desire promising a purging of excess energies – experienced as pleasing relief.
Want: synthesis of needs/desires abstracted into ideas/ideals, referring to a naturally produced and/or artificially fabricated object/objective, promising satisfaction/gratification. ‘Wants’ can be placed in the present, as the sensation of accumulating ‘needs’ and projected ‘desires’; an expression of need/desire in the dynamic present.
Needs/Wants/Desires, correspond to body/nervous system/mind.
Needs = body, physical; i.e., interacting within a fluctuating cosmos; Wants = synthesis of body/mind, reacting to the experience of existence by willfully trying to direct its energies effectively, i.e., wants, referring to human contrivances that gain control over this state of compulsive agitation; Desires = mind, projecting into future what the body accumulates in excess, i.e., focusing upon an idea/ideal.
‘Need’ = product of a determined, immutable, past; ‘Desire’ = product of an undetermined, possible/probable future; ‘Want’ = synthesis of need/desire in the fluctuating, determining, dynamic present.

Last edited by Satyr on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Wants/Desires/Needs Wants/Desires/Needs EmptySun Sep 25, 2022 8:57 am

Words must be used to distinguish, discriminate, clarify, and so the use of the terms ‘want, desire, need’ can be used as synonyms or can be used to differentiate different types of necessity – different in severity and substance.
As a preliminary differentiating definition we can say that ‘need’ refers to physical lack, requiring replenishment – caused by constant interactions or self-preservation within existential flux; ‘desire’ refers to a by-product of the successful gratification of needs, producing excess which is then stored as stress energies for the fight/flight explosive mechanism, and evolved into libidinal energies directed towards the explosive necessities of reproduction – gratified by an expunging of energies rather than, like need, a replenishing of lost energies; finally ‘want’ can be used to refer to a synthesis of the previous two, indicating a singular gratification of both, and a manufacturing of said gratification of need/desire – wants can be fabricated by promising gratification of needs/desires, and so they become social tools of mass control.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Wants/Desires/Needs Wants/Desires/Needs EmptySun Sep 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Needs is the experience of lack; desires is the experience of excess....wants can be manufactured, promising to gratify both.
Manufacturing consent....manufacturing wants....

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wants/Desires/Needs Wants/Desires/Needs Empty

Back to top Go down

Wants/Desires/Needs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: