Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Narcissism & Schizophrenia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 am

Kovacs wrote:

This is a perfect example of what actually led to my use of the term.  Instead of actually dealing with the reasons I gave for using the term, others are suggested instead.   One of the reasons given was  that instead of integrating the opposing arguments in a response, an essay triggered - in some way - by the post is written without clear reference to the post triggering it.   This is what is happening here.  It is solipsistic because it is not what the posts contain, it is what they remind the solipsist of.   This is more important the way not integrating the post one is arguing against can be lazy or avoidant.   Something happens 'out there' and the solipsist uses this as an opportunity to regurgitate something from inside himself.   In this meta-example, here in the narcissism thread the accusation of narcissism is used to regurgitate opinions about modernism, jews, etc. and then a habitual model of why the solipsist is rejected.   No new information got in.   No need to address the actual reasons the accusation came up.  What is important is the reiteration of one's values, opinions and the implicit model of other people's psychology.   Just as when the word romantic was used in a post, this led to an anti-romantic short essay that was not a valid response to the post it was intended to respond to.   The arguments did not fit the post, but did fit some other post where someone said that the feeling of falling in love is the best way to choose a partner or something of that order.

The thread was started months ago...if not years.
No avoidance.
When a poster says nothing new, as you so often do, I respond to the general and not to the post itself.
I use him/her to reaffirm my positions, because (s)he has either proven them, with the post, or added nothing about the thesis itself.

Kovacs wrote:
Which is why, again, the intelligent response to the solipsist is to respond in parallel, barely registering him. This gives the solipsist the real choice - to go on immersed only in himself or not.
Exactly.
Now you know why I choose to respond to solipsist and narcissists, who want to personalize every thread, in the manner that I do.

If I've seen this, I do not give it more attention than it is worth.
Imagine how many hours I would have to dedicate to respond to every simpleton who comments on my threads with nothing but personal assaults, or with nothing of value to add.
I would need to quite my job.

Those who attempt to comment on the thread's topic I respond to, if they've made a valid point, and/or if they've actually grasped the meanings offered.
In this thread the topic is my position that Modernity, in the west - which I connect with Nihilism, in other threads - produces social solipsism, and cultural narcissism.
You comment on Satyr.
But instead of starting a separate thread, you intrude upon this topic to inject your non-emotional judgments...wanting to draw attention upon you, by taking it off the writer, who is denying it to you.

You say nothing ABOUT the subject, but comment on the subject starter.
Nothing to address.
You are flailing about wanting to land a blow, so that you might get rid of the subject by injuring the one who brought it up.  

I mostly ignore the mundane.
That I ignore you, does not mean I ignore everybody.
You are placing yourself as the center of the world. My behavior towards you is not my behavior towards everybody.

But if you like to think of me in that way, or in any other way that pleases you, and if it makes it easier on you....please, do not stop.
I'm sure you will find many on your side.
Accordion to my thesis you are amongst many solipsistic narcissists, who resent any focus not directed at them, or any idea that does not loop back to the shared.

Here, allow me to adjust for you.
I see you want to be paid attention to.
I'm listening.
Tell me about how self-adsorbed and narcissistic I am, and if in any of it something interesting comes up, I'll respond.
I'm sure others will find it fascinating.

I prefer if you start a thread about Satyr's hypothetical solipsism/narcissism so that you do not turn KT into another ILP where all becomes a mud-slinging contest and content is lost in gossip and prattle.

So, I'm asking you politely to refrain from derailing this thread, which has a specific topic that includes but is not focused on Satyr.
I insist that you remain on-topic, or to take your emotional outburst elsewhere.
Nobody is preventing you to say what you wish to say....but our forum rules stipulate that we do not like having every thread posted derailed, or made into a personal attack.
The topic of this thread is not Satyr....it is a thesis about western culture, western man.

If you want to prove that it is, or if you want to make it about Satyr, then you can do it in another thread.  

I helped....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And if I am a true narcissist, then imagine, just imagine, how much pleasure I am feeling right now.

Thank you, for that.

Last edited by Satyr on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 am

Here...let's start with a narcissistic premise:

If someone does not pay attention to me, then he is not paying attention to anybody.

If someone does not love me, then he is loveless.

If someone does not respect me, then he respects nobody and nothing.

If someone hates me, then he hates everybody, everything.

If someone does not read and respond to me, and every little comment I make, then he reads nothing, nobody....

The "me" becomes a narcissistic symbol for world.
The other is personalized.

The "I" and "Other" become one.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 am

In an effort to refocus this thread upon its original subject, and off personalities and theories concerning the personal....

>>> The thesis proposes the idea that much of what we call materialism, hedonism and this obsessive focus on self (the me generation), is a natural continuance of the Judeo-Christian world-view, which places man, in the form of an anthropomorphic Being, as the center of existence, or a human idea(l) as the absolute singularity, essentially making the world of experience, of life, an illusion.  

>>> The focus on words disconnected from reality, or the noumenon detaching from the phenomenon, is the methodology.
The standard becomes persepctivism....in that anything goes.
Everything a mind sees, feels, is a matter of taste, and has no standard outside the human mind to measure itself against.
Beauty, pleasure, become ends....and sex becomes a matter of personal choice, or some accidental outcome.

>>> The shared solipsism, which can be called institutionalization, becomes reinforced by this sharedness.
Quantities overpowering Qualities.  
Communal solipsism, a self-reference where the word symbolizes the human abstraction and the human abstraction references human constructs, is described in the phrase "art imitating art" or "life imitating art"...and connects to Baudrillard's Simulations and Simulacrum thesis.
In the bible the beginning essentially begin, with the 'word'.
Action is disqualified, or is presented as the outcome of the world, rather than the other way around.
this is the inversion of Nihilism.

The shattering of the illusion is to be considered a communal affront, an evil...a taking away of focus upon the shared illusion.

>>> Narcissism is promoted socially as a method of population control - divide and conquer....or separate and obliterate communal resistance.
The individual's ego, his/her emotions, perceptions, become equalized in importance...the American form of individuality, and in this way they are made impotent.
Individuality becomes symbolic...represented by things, words, by the attainment of superficial attention.
The image takes precedence, and the essence recedes into the past, where it is forgotten, overcome, slandered and/or reinterpreted in accordance with the current, the modern.

He who decreases this shared self-love, is the narcissist.
He who breaks the spell is the spell-caster.
He who questions the self-referential method of words, is the one using words to hide.
He who uncovers the ego in the presumed altruism, the selfishness in theoretical selflessness, is selfish and egotistical.
He who points at the evilness in the Judeo-Christian worship of goodness, is Satanic.
He who dares to perceive a blemish on the absolute beauty, is the ugly one.
He who describes the lie in the presumed honesty, is the hypocrite.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 pm

One component not explored in detail here is the relation between Narcissism and Paranoia.

The Narcissist, both male and female, always behave, act, like someone is always out to get them, is always conspiring against them. This association and its extent, needs more probing.

The wiki defines the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as:

Quote :
"Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is a mental disorder characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others. Individuals with this personality disorder may be hypersensitive, easily feel slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions that may validate their fears or biases. Paranoid individuals are eager observers. They think they are in danger and look for signs and threats of that danger, potentially not appreciating other evidence.

They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their reduced capacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience. [verification needed] People with this particular disorder may or may not have a tendency to bear grudges, suspiciousness, tendency to interpret others' actions as hostile, persistent tendency to self-reference, or a tenacious sense of personal right. Patients with this disorder can also have significant comorbidity with other personality disorders."

Quote :
"Paranoid ideation - the narcissist's deep-rooted conviction that he is being persecuted by his inferiors, detractors, or powerful ill-wishers - serves two psychodynamic purposes. It upholds the narcissist's grandiosity and it fends off intimacy.

Grandiosity Enhancing Paranoia

Being the target of relentless, ubiquitous, and unjust persecution proves to the paranoid narcissist how important and feared he is. Being hounded by the mighty and the privileged validates his pivotal role in the scheme of things. Only vital, weighty, crucial, essential principals are thus bullied and intimidated, followed and harassed, stalked and intruded upon - goes his unconscious inner dialog. The narcissist consistently baits authority figures into punishing him and thus into upholding his delusional self-image as worthy of their attention. This provocative behaviour is called Projective Identification.

The paranoid delusions of the narcissist are always grandiose, "cosmic", or "historical". His pursuers are influential and formidable. They are after his unique possessions, out to exploit his expertise and special traits, or to force him to abstain and refrain from certain actions. The narcissist feels that he is at the centre of intrigues and conspiracies of colossal magnitudes.

Alternatively, the narcissist feels victimized by mediocre bureaucrats and intellectual dwarves who consistently fail to appreciate his outstanding - really, unparalleled - talents, skills, and accomplishments. Being haunted by his challenged inferiors substantiates the narcissist's comparative superiority. Driven by pathological envy, these pygmies collude to defraud him, badger him, deny him his due, denigrate, isolate, and ignore him.

The narcissist projects onto this second class of lesser persecutors his own deleterious emotions and transformed aggression: hatred, rage, and seething jealousy.

The narcissist's paranoid streak is likeliest to erupt when he lacks Narcissistic Supply. The regulation of his labile sense of self-worth is dependent upon external stimuli - adoration, adulation, affirmation, applause, notoriety, fame, infamy, and, in general, attention of any kind.

When such attention is deficient, the narcissist compensates by confabulating. He constructs ungrounded narratives in which he is the protagonist and uses them to force his human environment into complicity.

Put simply, he provokes people to pay attention to him by misbehaving or behaving oddly.

Intimacy Retarding Paranoia

Paranoia is use by the narcissist to ward off or reverse intimacy. The narcissist is threatened by intimacy because it reduces him to ordinariness by exposing his weaknesses and shortcomings and by causing him to act "normally". The narcissist also dreads the encounter with his deep buried emotions - hurt, envy, anger, aggression - likely to be foisted on him in an intimate relationship.

The paranoid narrative legitimizes intimacy repelling behaviours such as keeping one's distance, secrecy, aloofness, reclusion, aggression, intrusion on privacy, lying, desultoriness, itinerancy, unpredictability, and idiosyncratic or eccentric reactions. Gradually, the narcissist succeeds to alienate and wear down all his friends, colleagues, well-wishers, and mates.

Even his closest, nearest, and dearest, his family - feel emotionally detached and "burnt out".

The paranoid narcissist ends life as an oddball recluse - derided, feared, and loathed in equal measures. His paranoia - exacerbated by repeated rejections and ageing - pervades his entire life and diminishes his creativity, adaptability, and functioning. The narcissist personality, buffeted by paranoia, turns ossified and brittle. Finally, atomized and useless, it succumbs and gives way to a great void. The narcissist is consumed.

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

"The narcissist then resorts to self-delusion. Unable to completely ignore contrarian opinion and data - he transmutes them. Unable to face the dismal failure that he is, the narcissist partially withdraws from reality. To soothe and salve the pain of disillusionment, he administers to his aching soul a mixture of lies, distortions, half-truths and outlandish interpretations of events around him. These solutions can be classified thus...

Contd.:

Quote :
"Narcissists need mirrors. This simple truth is central to an understanding of liberalism. Liberals don’t look at the world to understand it. Instead, they look for chances to feed their vanity and parade their moral purity. Earlier this year, there were riots by Muslims in the Parisian suburb of Trappes...

Contd.:

Quote :
"It takes a repeated inculcation of a self-made fantasy, almost as a noble ritual, in order to reach the level of a convincing delusion. If we are taught to do this as children, encouraged to continue such a practice into adulthood – or at least not discouraged – we may have the recipe for serious anxiety. There is some decent evidence to show that this inculcation has definitely taken place in various institutions, but most notably fostered by our education system. Jean M. Twenge [Generation Me, 2006], quoting John Hewitt, points to his discovery of children being encouraged to find it “acceptable and desirable to be preoccupied with oneself.” But, Twenge goes on to flag down a program from 1994 called Just Because I Am that discourages kids from saying things like “I’m a good singer,” or “I’m a good soccer player,” since affirming these traits makes self-esteem contingent on performance. Instead the authors, according to Twenge, seek to “anchor self-esteem firmly in the child,” to allow for high self-esteem no matter what the performance (Twenge 56).

Twenge notes that this kind of self-esteem curricula is a very common experience in the Millennial, and even Gen X childhood. We should cringe at the idea of the Self’s perception of itself as an unmitigated wonder, and taught to affirm its greatness (a popular trend even among adults in the 1980s and 90s – today we’re told to simply look good) without any qualifying basis, even to the exclusion of allowing children to reference actual abilities. Then again, we can see the roots of narcissism here, and narcissistic traits are becoming normal."

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Symptoms of the Paranoid Personality Disorder:

Quote :
"People with paranoid personality disorder are generally characterized by having a long-standing pattern of pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others. A person with paranoid personality disorder will nearly always believe that other people’s motives are suspect or even malevolent.

Individuals with this disorder assume that other people will exploit, harm, or deceive them, even if no evidence exists to support this expectation. While it is fairly normal for everyone to have some degree of paranoia about certain situations in their lives (such as worry about an impending set of layoffs at work), people with paranoid personality disorder take this to an extreme — it pervades virtually every professional and personal relationship they have.

Individuals with Paranoid Personality Disorder are generally difficult to get along with and often have problems with close relationships. Their excessive suspiciousness and hostility may be expressed in overt argumentativeness, in recurrent complaining, or by quiet, apparently hostile aloofness. Because they are hypervigilant for potential threats, they may act in a guarded, secretive, or devious manner and appear to be “cold” and lacking in tender feelings. Although they may appear to be objective, rational, and unemotional, they more often display a labile range of affect, with hostile, stubborn, and sarcastic expressions predominating. Their combative and suspicious nature may elicit a hostile response in others, which then serves to confirm their original expectations.

Because individuals with Paranoid Personality Disorder lack trust in others, they have an excessive need to be self-sufficient and a strong sense of autonomy. They also need to have a high degree of control over those around them. They are often rigid, critical of others, and unable to collaborate, and they have great difficulty accepting criticism.

A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates from the norm of the individual’s culture. The pattern is seen in two or more of the following areas: cognition; affect; interpersonal functioning; or impulse control. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations. It typically leads to significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back to early adulthood or adolescence.

Symptoms of Paranoid Personality Disorder
Paranoid personality disorder is characterized by a pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent. This usually begins in early adulthood and presents in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her

Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates

Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her

Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events

Persistently bears grudges (i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights)

Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others, and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack

Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner

Concern that other people have hidden motives

Expectation that they will be exploited (used) by others

Inability to work together with others

Social isolation

Detachment

Hostility"

-

Symptoms of Narcissistic personality Disorder:

Quote :
"An individual diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder needs to show at least 5 of the following criteria:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).

Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).

Requires excessive admiration.

Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.

Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.

Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.

Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.

Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes."

-

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Brown, Norman wrote:
How then does the unconscious ‘transform itself into an external perception in order to become conscious? If this theorem is interpreted in the light of the transference phenomenon, then it follows that the repressed impulses must first find real objects in the external world and attach themselves to those real objects before their nature can become manifest to the subject. To put it crudely, the act of love (or hate) must accompany knowledge of repressed love (or hate). Freud, with his misgivings on the whole subject of transference, did not interpret his own theorem that the unconscious, in order to become conscious, must transform itself into external perceptions, as we have done, in the light of the transference. Instead, he says that the unconscious becomes conscious by getting connected with words ’the verbal images which correspond to it’; these verbal images are memory-residues of external perceptions; the work of analysis supplies verbal images of this kind which act as connecting links between the unconscious and consciousness.
If this complicated phraseology is reduced to its crude essence, it means that talk can cure, at least that talk can make the unconscious conscious. While one can appreciate the reasons why Freud, as therapist and as a man for whom pure theory made life worth living, would want to exalt the power of the word his god Logos, as he says it is easy to demonstrate, with the aid of Freud, that words have no such power.

Freud’s Jewish heritage reveals itself in this preference for words, over deeds, for the noumenon rather than the unruly phenomenon.

Brown, Norman wrote:
Word-consciousness is here presented not as cure, not as true consciousness, but as an intensification of the sickness which is also a halfway house to cure, or true consciousness:

‘The cathexis of the verbal idea is not part of the act of repression, but represents the first of the attempts at recovery or cure which so conspicuously dominate the clinical picture of schizophrenia. These endeavours are directed toward regaining the lost objects, and it may well be that to achieve this purpose their path to the object must be by way of the word belonging to it; they then have, however, to content themselves with words in the place of things.’ –Freud, Sigmund

Words, says Freud, are a halfway house to lost things; and words are only one class of the sets of symbols that make up human culture.
‘If we could not have schizophrenics we also could not have cultures’ says LaBarre.

Freud's analysis of word-consciousness deepens our understanding not only of language as neurosis, but also of culture as neurosis and of culture as a ‘substitute-gratification,’ a provisional arrangement in the quest for real enjoyment.

“Substitute gratification” through the power of words, no less.

Brown, Norman wrote:
The proportion of mere chatter verbal gymnastics with Freudian terms with only fugitive relation to reality bears comparison with the narcissistic overvaluation of words in schizophrenia. Nor does the relation between psychoanalysis and schizophrenia deprive it entirely of therapeutic value. Freud himself says that the overvaluation of words in schizophrenia ‘represents the first of the attempts at recovery or cure.’
If ultimate cure consists in finding real objects in external reality corresponding to the lost objects of childhood, then what psychoanalysis does is to effect an immense withdrawal of libido from the macrocosm of the external world, which Freud (and modern man in general) tightly could not love, and to direct it to the microcosm of the internal world. Such narcissistic withdrawal from the outside world is of course the characteristic posture of the libido in schizophrenia.
In so far as this libidinal posture goes with a recognition of the unloveliness of the external world, it represents an advance in reality thinking.
But in so far as psychoanalysis deflects attention from a further advance, to make external reality such that it can be loved, it can be an obstacle in the way of a final attainment of truth. For psychoanalysis and before it the mystics has taught that only when we can love the world can we have true knowledge of ourselves.

The movement from the noumenon, solipsistic, infantile, self-gratifying, pleasure-principle, the feminine, towards the phenomenon, troubling, challenging, reality-principle, the masculine, is a voyage from infancy towards maturity, where the final destination promises a renewed appreciation of what has been left behind.
In Modern sheltering systems this process is disrupted, maintaining its members in a state of perpetual infancy, seeking approval and support, and guidance – an arrested development built on self-repression, or neurosis, according to Freud himself, despite his preferences….

Brown, Norman wrote:
Freud recognizes that the truths which he himself discovered through ‘moral courage’ i.e., by courageous recognition of the contradictions between the libido and reality could be absorbed into a higher level of knowledge in a utopia based on love. And then Freud rejects the utopian orientation as incompatible with ‘the processes of Nature’ and ‘the aims of human society.’
The rejection of the utopian perspective means that the libido so courageously, and narcissistically, withdrawn from the external world cannot return to the external world in the form of a project to transform it. Freud is left in alienation from reality and in pessimism.

Freud could not reconcile his own pleasure-principle with the reality-principle, leaving us with words and the neurosis he could not get rid; forcing “civilized man” into a state of schizophrenic, splintering, endless chatter, and narcissism.

Brown, Norman wrote:
Orthodox psychoanalytical therapy fails to direct the libido back to the external world in the form of a project to change the world; by the same token it fails to provide a solution to the problem of aggression. Psychoanalytical consciousness, by returning to the microcosm of the inner world, puts at the disposal of the ego large quantifies of libido that were previously in a state of repression. The result in so far as psychoanalytical consciousness gets through words to reality is to make us aware for the first time of the scope and nature of our real desires in Rilke's beautiful phrase, the unlived lines of our body.
And then what is the psychoanalytically conscious ego going to do with its newly discovered desires?

Once the limitations of sublimation and the impossibility of ‘rising above the crude life of the instincts’ are recognized, orthodox psychoanalysis, as a result of its inability to transform itself into social criticism, has to send human desire back into repression again. Freud's earlier optimistic hopes of precluding repression through psychoanalytical consciousness are replaced by the theorem that psychoanalytical consciousness ‘reconstructs the repressions from more solid material.’
In other words psychoanalysis, after showing us the unlived lines of our body, tells us to forget them, presumably because they are not compatible with ‘the processes of Nature’ or ‘the aims of human society.’
And of course the institution of these new '’ego-sytonic controls,’ if we take Freud's theory of aggression seriously, means the internalization of the aggression released by all instinctual renunciation.

Nihilism, and its discontents; those “chosen” to suffer, because they are unable to let go of the logos, the number/words, that provide such pleasing constructs, before a reality, a world, a phenomenon, that leaves them trembling and anxious.

Brown, Norman wrote:
In fact, if we hold fast to the Freudian insight into the immortal strength of our repressed desires, changing reality can be the only rational response of the ego to the contradiction between reality and the
pleasure-principle which reigns supreme in the id.
In the conflict between the ego, the id, and reality, something has to give.
In a neurosis, according to Freud, the ego accepts reality and its energy is directed against the id, but to maintain the repression it must ignore the part of reality associated with the repressed wishes.
In a psychosis the ego is overwhelmed by the id, severs its connection with reality, and proceeds to create for itself a new outer and inner world.
The healthy reaction, according to Freud, like a neurosis, does not ignore reality; like a psychosis it creates a new world, but, unlike psychosis, it creates a new world in the real world; that is, it changes reality.

‘Neurosis does not deny the existence of reality, it merely tries to ignore it; psychosis denies it and tries to substitute something else for it. A reaction which combines features of both of these is the one we call normal or ‘healthy’; it denies reality as little as neurosis, but then, like psychosis, is concerned with effecting a change in it.
This expedient normal attitude leads naturally to some achievement in the outer world and is not content, like a psychosis, with establishing the alteration within itself; it is no longer auto-plastic but allo-plastic.’ –Freud, Sigmund

Psychoanalysis, unless it is transformed into a critique of reality, resembles a psychosis in being autoplastic in its aim as well as in its faith in the magic word.

Faced with the world the ego escapes either in the narcotic of the pleasure itself, or in the pleasing reflection of its own utopia/paradise, its idea(l) self, living in an idea(l) world.
The world is deflated and the self is inflated; a disconnection necessary to preserve what is pleasant.
Narcissism is the “logical” outcome of schizophrenic, self-splintering, compartmentalization.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 11:57 am

Brown, Norman wrote:
Culture, therefore, the product of sublimation, is, in Plato's words, the imitation
of an imitation; in Pindar's words, the shadow of a dream.

Freud, Sigmund wrote:
One must never allow oneself to be misled into applying to the repressed creations of the mind the standards of reality; this might result in undervaluing the importance of phantasies in symptom-formation on the ground that they are not actualities; or in deriving a neurotic sense of guilt from another source because there is no proof of actual committal of any crime.

Brown, Norman wrote:
One is bound to employ the currency that prevails in the country one is exploring; in our case it is the neurotic currency.
The neurotic currency is wishes and thoughts, given reality in magic and in neurosis by the narcissistic principle of the omnipotence of thought...

Hence more generally neurotic symptoms derive not from the facts of infantile sexual life but from the
fantastic theories of sexuality developed by children, and expressing the narcissistic wish to be the father of oneself. In fact it is the efflorescence of fantasy in infantile sexuality that necessitates the final catastrophic repression.
Infantile sexuality is doomed because "its wishes are incompatible with reality" and it "has no real aim."...

Non-bodily cultural objects (sublimations) inherit the fantasies, and thus man in culture, Homo sublimans, is man dreaming while awake (Charles Lamb's definition of the poet).
LaBarre's epigram expresses the literal truth:
"A dollar is a solemn Sir Roger de Coverley dance, a codified psychosis normal in one sub-species of this animal, an institutionalized dream that everyone is having at once."

Sublimation perpetuates the negative, narcissistic, and regressive solution of the infantile ego to the problem of disposing of life and death in a word, it perpetuates the infantile dream and yet there is a difference between sublimations and the infantile sexual organizations out of which they arise and
which they perpetuate....

How is this projection effected, and what is its significance? The answer is contained in Freud's late studies of denial, specifically fetishism as the result of denial. Starting from the castration complex, Freud shows that the fact of sexual differentiation both is and is not accepted, or rather that the fact of sexual differentiation from the mother is accepted only at the cost of finding in some other external object a symbolic substitute for the penis, "a compromise formed with the aid of displacement, such as we have been familiar with in dreams."
Sublimations are formed out of infantile sexuality by the mechanism of fetishism; sublimations are denials or negations of the fantasies of infantile sexuality, and affirm them in the mode of affirmation by negation.
The original fantasies are negations; sublimations are negations of negations.
It is this second level of desexualization or negation that gives us a soul distinct from the body. Freud points out that the simultaneous acceptance and denial in fetishism involves a split in the ego.
Of course there is a split inherent in the ego from the start by virtue of its origin in a trauma of separation not accepted and denied by fantasy.

As Ferenczi says, "There is neither shock nor fright without some trace of splitting of personality . . . part of the person regresses into a state of happiness that existed prior to the trauma-a trauma which it endeavours to annul."

But while the infantile body-ego works out compromises between its soul (i.e., fantasies) and its body (the infantile sexual organizations), and, as Freud said, the child remains his own ideal, the adult body-ego, as structured by the castration complex, has to break itself in two because it is called upon to choose between body and soul; it cannot abandon the body, and is not strong enough to give up the soul. By a process of "narcissistic self-splitting" the ego is divorced from the super-ego: the whole
stratum of abandoned object-cathexes (identifications) which form its own character becomes unconscious; and, in Schilder's terminology, the intellectual ego is split from the body-ego.

The split of noumenon/phenomenon, creating the private and the public personae, is a sacrifice of self to otherness for the sake of survival - a forced compromise, inherited through the ages genetically, that makes social unities possible, and is a product of organic insecurity and weakness.
From this forced compromise, this self-repression, the passive-aggressive, eroticization of otherness is constructed.
In a "civilized" environment the thymotic is repressed and the erotic nurtured, forcing the thymotic to find means of expressing itself indirectly, and often with subtlety, and self-hypocrisy.
The parts sublimated and denied consciousness become the unknown parts of self; the individual a stranger to himself.

This lends added poignancy to the motto: Know Thyself.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Schizophrenia...separating pleasure from need/suffering, or lust from love.
When a man lusts he wants to make of her a means to an end, and she, when she lusts for him, wants to be that for him, and for herself.

Wants to unite with him in the form of a child.  

When it's only for hedonistic pleasure the separation detaches the end from the means, and settles for playing, for going through and for enjoying the process, without having to pay much of a price for it.
Separate love from lust, and you have that mechanical surrender to sensation with no noetic connection.
The body detached from the mind.

It's the other side of Modernity. Ether all noumenon, or all phenomenon, materialism, hedonism.
The mind/body division remains a comforting division, offering compartmentalized behaviors.  
sometimes this context, and the next another.
The two never harmonize.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Quote :
Fragmentation of the Psyche and the Nous

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Psi and the Caduceus

By: Jay
The subject of dissociative identity disorder and the fracturing of the psyche is a complex topic that is becoming more mainstream through alternative media.  The causes, nature and extent of the disorder are still shrouded in mystery, though modern medicine and psychology do have a lot to say about the matter.  One of the reasons the disorder is controversial is that it doesn’t seem to fit well in the dominant materialist/biologist reductionism upon which mass science is built.   Given the presupposition of modern science that the psyche is entirely equated with the brain itself, the assumptions are thus that any possible solution to mental problems of this nature can only be remedied or suppressed through the addition of, and rearrangement of, molecular compounds.

This fact is seen most clearly in the pharmaceutical solution, which may provide temporary relief and the subduing of more manic tendencies, fails to address the spiritual dimension of man, excluding from the outset the psyche might be more than a series of neurons firing.  The monetary and propagandist power of these corporations, combined with the power to dictate the results through the funding of their “objective studies” that vindicate the latest happy pill, disavow from the outset any other approaches, models or therapeutic applications.  Despite the deep interconnectedness of the pharmaceutical industry with the intelligence agencies and psychological and biological warfare industries, few and far between are those who are willing to question this approach as a whole, due to the almost universal indoctrination of neo-Darwinian theory, which thus also preconditions all approaches to therapeutic psychology.

One example of the dilemma a proponent of the modern approach must grapple with is something I have highlighted in the past: if the DSM-V is the “bible” of psychological disorders, then one must accept that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  If mind-controlled alters are a non-existent fiction of raving conspiracy lunatics, then the DSM-V is now subject to change (as it constantly is), and must be revised.  Of course, the DSM-V is constantly revised, as “disorders” suddenly appear quite frequently, all of which are dependent upon the theorizing of so-called experts that operate within the existing paradigm.  In this regard, we can see the clear incoherency at work: The circular nature of the existing psychological establishment vindicates the pharmaceutical establishment, which in turn provides the funding to vindicate the psychological establishment.  The circular establishment becomes the de facto final court of appeal, even as its theories and revisions are constantly over-turning each other in a perpetual cycle.

Since most people in this field are not familiar with psychological warfare, the military application of such techniques, and the origins and rise of the American Psychological Association and its cousin, the Tavistock Institute, the analogy with the advance of super technologies is appropriate – both “techniques” arise from the military application.  In other words, the technological advances of an entity like DARPA are for warfare purposes, even though they are marketed publicly as “humanitarian.”  In the same way, the application of modern psychology arose from Institutes and agencies concerned primarily with the subject of mass social engineering and psychological warfare.  It should come as no surprise the establishment remedies have such a low success rate.  Of course, what one considers a “success” and “progress” is determined by what one’s worldview and ends are, so from the perspective of mass social engineering, the present psychological establishment is a huge success, providing cheap mass experimentation and billions in profits.  If mass drugging of the populace into a catatonic, zombie-like state is the end goal, then the existing system can certainly claim it is a great, progressive success.

Through the chemical process, the alchemist seeks the transmutation of matter.
With this in mind, it is understandable why “alternative” approaches and forms of therapy are derided and laughed at, as the goal of modern “health” is not the integration and healing of the person as a whole, but the chemical treatment of the effects of the problem.  As with other fields of research, the “compartmentalization” of information is applied in psychology and medicine as it is in military information.  The long-term plans and goals of the pharmaceutical industry and their pill-pushing doctors are ignored at the expense of short-term gains, but the difficulty extends much deeper than the standard left/liberal approach to this question, where the true ends of these industries are almost entirely ascribed to monetary gain.   However the oligarchical elite that dominate the western establishment themselves have stated many times what the long-term goals of all these industries are, including “psychology” and the pharmaceutical application.  This is why, for example, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Unfortunately, the level at which discourse on the topic of cannabis is so dumbed-down and stupid on both sides of the aisle, it is almost futile to discuss, as both the left/liberal pothead are as clueless as the faux “conservative war on drugs” crusader.  Both sides of this question are unaware of the complexities involved, as the left/liberal sees the government as “the man” infringing on the “rights” of atomized nobodies wanting a good buzz.  On the other hand, moronic conservatives (so-called) are ignorant of the fact that the “war on drugs” was a covert plan for deep state control of the drug trade, criminalizing certain substances so both the black markets and pharmaceutical markets can maintain a monopolistic control.  For the left/liberal, the foolish trust in NGOs he believes are actually interested in his “freedom,” are actually promoting a destructive social agenda for think tanks that have a different strategy of social engineering than other think tanks.

This dialectic is similar to the managed dialectic of environmentalism, where both the mainstream left and right are played like fools by corporations and think tanks that simply have different strategies for achieving the same ends.  Left/liberals cannot fathom that the top oil conglomerates have a large stake in[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Similarly faux conservatives who think their “free market” corporations are fighting for expansion, jobs and economic growth against the hippy liberals who get in their way, hugging trees and munching pot brownies.  In reality, both of these teams are played like puppets, as the same think tanks and foundations are universally on board with the global agenda of centralization through the invented crisis of resource scarcity repackaged in the green agenda.

Returning to the question of the psyche, my proposal to reassessing this question involves questioning the manufactured, existing paradigms at their core.  As Thomas Kuhn posited concerning the nature of scientific revolutions, the same understanding needs to be applied to diverse fields, where it needs to be understood that medicine and psychology cannot be based on purely materialist models.  These models, in turn, are based on the still reigning paradigm of naïve empiricism, the immortal philosophical zombie that never dies.  Until these presuppositions themselves are questioned, functionaries of the establishment will never make true progress towards healing and integrating the psyche.

At the top, of course, there is no plan to heal man, but rather to end man, as the Royal Society openly states, yet for the majority of middle-men who have bought into the humanitarian propaganda and are compartmentalized, they operate and make real and accurate discoveries that are genuinely positive.  However, such discoveries are not implemented, but suppressed, and generally the inversion is implemented on a mass scale, such as psychotropic treatment of the psyche.  In the studies of the MK ULTRA programs, for which modern psychotropic treatment derives, the effects of psychedelics resulted in the fragmentation and disintegration of the psyche, by design and promotion of the Frankfurt School working in concert with Bertrand Russell and the Fabians.  I wrote [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

Pop culture imagery expressing the notion of a fragmented psyche.

From my own observations and research concerning those who have had intense hallucinogenic drug experiences, definite patterns emerge.  One of the most prominent patterns is the sense of the psyche being fragmented, disintegrating and becoming “one” with the all.  The hallucinogen causes a kind of inner journey which shamans of primitive religions have embarked upon for millennia, but the result tends towards the same conclusion: monism.  Yet oddly the philosophical monism adopted invariably leads many of the drugged to feel that their own psyche has fractured, divided, or split.
The so-called “revelations” most experience on the drug trips end up being very monotonous.  It rarely occurs to the drugged that their narcissistic “insights” are one and the same as ancient pagan and eastern religions.  Reality is thus viewed as an “illusion,” a “trick,” a product of their own mind (solipsism), and who they were/are as a person was annihilated or dismembered.  The drug trip thus tends to result in the unwitting conversion of the drugged to some form of pantheism or animism.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Modern man’s lack of spiritual connection has allowed the return of ancient shamanism and paganism to reemerge with the 60s revolution.  Unfortunately, the 60’s culture “revolution” was something engineered by elites in the pharmaceutical, banking and intelligence communities.   Researchers J[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  The social engineering of revolution was in harmony with the Marxist plan of Theodore Adorno to, along with drugs, promote this very depersonalization and fragmentation through pop music.

He[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: “What radical music perceives is the untransfigured suffering of man…. The seismographic registration of traumatic shock becomes, at the same time, the technical structural law of music. It forbids continuity and development. Musical language is polarized according to its extreme; towards gestures of shock resembling bodily convulsions on the one hand, and on the other towards a crystalline standstill of a human being whom anxiety causes to freeze in her tracks…. Modern music sees absolute oblivion as its goal. It is the surviving message of despair from the shipwrecked.”

That “schizophrenia” he speaks of is what has been achieved in our day.  Schizophrenia is the dividing and fragmenting of the psyche into disconnected, meaningless “parts,” which have no relation to anything or anyone else.  It is the ultimate atomization and alienation, resulting in an arrested development blob of masses that are unable to even reason about what is in their own best interest.   Modernity’s nihilistic suicide pact is something that is not mere happenstance: it has been engineered on purpose by our so-called “elite,” as Irvin shows.  Aldous Huxley [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

“But now psycho-analysis is being combined with hypnosis; and hypnosis has been made easy and indefinitely extensible through the use of barbiturates, which induce a hypnoid and suggestible state in even the most recalcitrant subjects.  Within the next generation I believe that the world’s rulers will discover that infant conditioning and narco-hypnosis are more efficient, as instruments of government, than clubs and prisons, and that the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience.”

Considering specifically the fragmentation of the psyche, the extreme versions appear in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Trauma later in life appears [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  What is almost never discussed, though the evidence surfaces daily, particularly with former military and pop star circles are the realities of ritual abuse.  Having read several works on the subject, ritual abuse appears frequently in these cases, yet goes unmentioned in the mainstream.  This tide appears to be changing with the case of Jimmy Savile and his network, as even the mainstream media has been forced to report on the avalanche of officials involved in occultic and ritual abuse.  I [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

“With this direct Hollywood connection in mind, we can see the likely possibility of the abuse of pop stars, who become high-priced commodities for the same establishment.  I have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and all the way up to the present, top stars are now alleging they were abused by their “handlers” and/or producers.  While some cases may be publicity stunts, it is hard to believe they all are.  News hounds will recall Amanda Bynes believing she was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Prior to that, we have witnessed a barrage of news stories the last few years recounting a stream of victims alleging networks of sickos using and abusing those under them.  Let us not forget [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], as well as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Recent reports also arose from actors like Corey Feldman, who alleges similar crimes.”

Psyche and Cupid.

Both cultic groups and government agencies have the desire for control in common, and particularly the control of thought.  One effective way such groups achieve this is through childhood indoctrination, as this is the most formative period.  Propaganda and manipulation targeted at children are thus the most effective and the most insidious, and the solutions cannot come through a rearrangement of chemicals from one form to another, based entirely on the evolutionary biological model.   It is no accident the rate of mental illnesses and neurological disorders are thus skyrocketing, as the application of more and more chemical solutions is compounded with more and more prescriptions to counter the effects of the previous’ side effects.

In proposing a solution, alternatives avenues are much more promising, particularly when considering the alternate anthropology of eastern theology, where man is not merely a chemical machine, but a biological entity with a psyche and a nous, a higher faculty endowed by God.  Strategopoulos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

“The human nous in Eastern Orthodox Christianity is the “eye of the heart or soul” or the “mind of the heart”. The soul of man is created by God in His image; man’s soul is intelligent and noetic. St Thalassios wrote that God created beings “with a capacity to receive the Spirit and to attain knowledge of Himself; He has brought into existence the senses and sensory perception to serve such beings”. Eastern Orthodox Christians hold that God did this by creating mankind with intelligence and noetic faculties. Angels have intelligence and nous, whereas men have reason – both logos and dianoia – nous and sensory perception. This follows the idea that man is a microcosm and an expression of the whole creation or macrocosmos. The human nous was darkened after the Fall of Man (which was the result of the rebellion of reason against the nous), but after the purification (healing or correction) of the nous (achieved through ascetic practices like hesychasm), the human nous (the “eye of the heart”) will see God’s uncreated Light (and feel God’s uncreated love and beauty, at which point the nous will start the unceasing prayer of the heart) and become illuminated, allowing the person to become an orthodox theologian.”

In regard to the fragmentation of the psyche and the loss of memory (something crucial for extreme cases of MPD/DID) are highlighted in a fascinating way not found elsewhere, as the possibility of a spiritual dimension to psychotic disorders is often overlooked and ignored.  Strategopoulos continues:

“They became vain in their reasonings, speculations”. Please pay attention to the choice of words. Almost always, especially in the New Testament, the term (“dialogismos” in the original Greek) is used in a negative sense. When He is about to heal the paralytic, Christ is aware that people “are reasoning within themselves” (Mark 2:6). So Christ says: “Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts?” You see, the word in the Greek text is not “logismos” (thought, contemplation), it is “dia-logismos”, i.e. fragmented, scattered thinking: The fragmentation of the nous. You might as well apply this knowledge when you are confronted with cults, heresies and similar issues, [considering that the same word is used today for “meditation”]. There is a direct link. Reasoning, speculation [of a fragmented nous]: terms which are always used in a negative sense in the Holy Scripture. Thus, man ends up in a state of ignorance, although he is created with a predisposition towards God, with a nous that is meant to turn to God for help: “Love the Lord your God”. This is faith, the movement towards God, and it is something that we have overlooked….

St Gregory of Sinai clearly states that forgetfulness of God is a disease of the soul and of the faculty of reason. It has a direct impact on human memory, which ends up divided, diffused and fragmented, a prey to tempting thoughts. If I forget God, my memory will crumble into pieces, resulting in scattered, wayward thinking: “Dia-logismos”. That explains our deep anguish: What shall we do here? What shall we do there? What is to be done?”

The loss of memory and its fragmentation is the same pattern seen in those with alters who lack integration with the core personality.  Extreme forms of schizophrenia demonstrate this in a profound way, where the psyche’s core is so fractured it appears to dissociate into incoherence.  Alters, by contrast, appear to be structured to handle and absorb trauma, retaining a level of rationality and coherence, even in the split.  My consideration is that perhaps as a result of the Fall, all of us are in some degree fragmented, while MPD/DID demonstrate more severe versions of the universal fragmentation.  This is not to propose some new agey, generic dissolution of individual, on the contrary, the individual psyche needs to be unified, coherent and integrated.  Psychology’s approach has been to attempt to integrate these various personae, and this makes sense, yet still lacks the possibility of considering man as a spiritual being with a nous.  If God exists, then the faculty that exists for unification and integration through the knowledge of God cannot be ignored.

In my estimation, one of the deep programs of the establishment’s anti-human agenda involves the destruction of memory itself.   As long as humans have a memory of how they lived in a more natural, traditional setting, the potential for the rejection of a technocratic system where free will is eliminated remains.  Thus, ending and reprogramming memory itself must become a chief of the technocratic establishment, and it has. Memory alone cannot be a solution, however, as individuals with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] might still be wicked or self-destructive.  The solution lies in the alteration of man’s heart, intimately bound up with his nous, which involves a change of perspective and life where God is no longer suppressed and forgotten, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  The solution is therefore not merely material or intellectual, but a holistic change in one’s life, whereas fragmented approaches of therapeutic treatment are only addressing a fragment of the problem.

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Now that homosexuality has been taken off the psychologist's list of dysfunctions, we can redefine all terms to escape their natural connections and agree with the new social realities.

Sociopath, if it is accepted as a psychological term at all, now describes anyone who challenges the norms - a memetic warrior struggling to replace the institutionalized alpha with his own values.
Essentially to be male is to be sociopathic, and to be "healthy" is to remain feminine in how you relate to the institutions.
Having lost most connections to their past, boys delve into pop-culture to find inspiration, and there they turns into caricatures to be mocked by the females.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 am

Having killed off God, man takes that Holy place and begins rationalizing the world using himself as the middle, the measure of all things, the point of 1/0, alpha/omega.
On either/or side of himself the world extends, towards order/chaos, negative/positive, and depending on the particular psychology of the mind in the middle, the nature of the subjective motive, the cosmos takes shape in binary form...the motive being the singularity, the absolute, total knowledge/understanding, imploding into the mind, merging into an abstraction, a noetic one.

And when man surveys this creation he sees it is ordered, it has reason, it is full of potentials...malleable, useful, valuable.
Cosmos as the jewel, the κοσμιμα.

He is torn apart - the (+/-) pushing and pulling at him, the positive/negative spin and counter-spin stressing his particular arrangements, both God and Satan.

His ordering, trying to resist, by making sense of the turmoil - questioning the assumed Order, the Divine hierarchy.

Man now becomes this Deity, this neutral, immutable thing, this ONE, in relation to all things are measured....extending to his left/right (brain hemispheres) in a ordered (+)....<>.....(-) symmetry.
To his One no nil will be tolerated.
Who shall dare question his divine presence, his cosmic dominance, his order?

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Dis-Harmony between mind and body, as a result of Nihilistic memes infecting minds still the product of a body expressing genetic past, leads to an internal turmoil that may advance to madness, and/or suicide.
The Nihilistic meme contradicts the genetic past. There is no continuance – there is conflict where mind is placed on a pedestal to fabricate, using abstractions detached from reality, a new world, a better world, one with no sex, race, value judgments, suffering, death, conflict.
Nothing but peace and pleasure.
The so-called "primordial sin" is the Christian expression of this past shaming, or contradicting, the Judeo-Christian nihilistic projected ideal.
In its secular humanist, Modern, form it becomes ashamed for being human, for seeing divergence (prejudice, bigotry), for wanting to be male (sexism), for seeing gradations of intelligence amongst the sacred human species, for believing in chaos, and not having faith in the, Primal One, the cosmic Order – chosenness become the humanness.

The self-hatred that springs from this inability to meet the ideal’s standards, because they are entirely unnatural, artificial, human constructs, resulted in the Christian mind suffering in shame, desiring to die and meet his maker, to the point where a special sin had to be invented to prevent mass suicides from saving the sinner from his own sinfulness.
The Christian ascetic ideal was a form of penance, for being human.
Without the Jewish choseness to suffer, for god, inverting shame to pride in victim-hood, the Christian had to invent Jesus as his saviour – the one who absolved him of responsibility if he were willing to sacrifice a lifetime, for an eternity.

The modern, the secular version of the same Nihilism, has no such avenues of relief.
His solution is hedonism.
A life spent in narcosis.
A lifetime of hyperbolic overcompensating self-love (narcissism), to cope with the shame for being born weak, and wanting, in a perfectly ordered universe.
Materialism, and science, are the answer.
With them the Modern returns to faith, and commitment, to the universal sacred, now renamed Order, or One, Whole, or by some other marketable title.

Man as God's image exposes god as less than perfect, and results in the mystification of what is nonsensical.
The human mind representing the universal order, exposes the chaos, the incompleteness, the fragmentation, in both... and, yet again, the solution is found in mystification, in allusions of hidden realities, and things-in-themselves, and in absolutes awaiting discovery.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Narcissism, as a compensation for a secret sense of inferiority, may not display itself in open declarations of self-aggrandizing, hyperbole.
Often it will come out as a quiet sob, and a whisper claiming to deserve better than what it can get.
This is a feminine psychological disposition because women evolved to be genetic filtering agencies and selects stringently and in accordance with markers they've evolved to recognize and appreciate.
Hypergamy it has been called.
So, when males display this disposition it is because of feminization, promoted by the necessities of integrating inferior males into a system dominated by a single alpha, or by an abstraction of a dominant male alpha - the institution, the state.  

In the past, when populations were homogeneous, genetically and memetically, this wasn't much of an issue, but in modern realities and this heterogeneity promoted as a "strength" this is definitely a psychological source of stress.
The natural reaction to this amount of stress is compensation, and/or denial.
Denial is a psychological defensive measure preserving sanity and reducing stress.
In Modern systems denial and narcissism coexist, one feeding into the other.
Narcissism grows in proportion to the stress being compensated for.
The Modern world is characterized by that American type: boisterous, trash talking, loud, repeating self-aggrandizing declarations, bragging, demanding what (s)he deserves as a God given "right", dealing with absolutist finalities, victories, words of false praise etc.  

In nature the path-of-least-resistance is always taken...the lion, no matter how big and strong, will isolate the weakest in the herd.
No plan, really.
What is most readily accessible is harvested.
the weak one falls back, or diverts from the herd's course, exposing itself as weak.
In fish schooling behaviours the weak are pushed to the periphery, where they are most vulnerable to predators.
Man's psychological distress at not being part of a group, or not being appreciated comes from this primal need to push into the centre of the herd where the protection is highest.
The centre of the herd, is the royal position,right in the middle...ironically invulnerability to external threats is accompanied by a increase vulnerability to internal threats, from competitors jostling for that prime position.  
This jostling is a reflection of inorganic states of unity, such as atoms, or river's flowing down mountain slopes.
The fluctuating centre determines the periphery's interaction with patterns outside the congruency's flow.
Water on the extreme sides of the river's flow is absorbed into the soil, or knocked about against the pattern of rocks, on the surface it is heated to the point of changing states and evaporating, on the bottom it is thrust against sand and rocks; the river is pushing towards the centre, cascading into more (inter)actions,a s it flows downwards, pulled by gravity - the earth's mass, towards the core.
The middle of the river, both in width and depth, is the calmest; where the flow is smoothest of all - where balance (harmony) is found.
The periphery is where it is most active, where friction causes a loss in the aggregate flow, where the congruence slowly loses energies.

Back to organic phenomena...

Only species with a sense of time, the ability to project probabilities, based on past (memories, experiences) can take the "path least travelled", the path-of-more-resistance, in the hopes of gaining an advantage over those who will not be able to take such risks or who cannot project with confidence the desirable probabilities.
"Living dangerously" as it has been called.
The motive for doing so can either be sexual, - will explain below - or temporal, as a reaction to the awareness that life is short and one must make strides if one is to achieve the highest pinnacles before the end.

There is one instance where animals, even simple creatures, evolved spontaneous risk-taking to a high: sex....the reproduction instinct...again not consciously understood, but surrendered to.
The peacock with the most impressive burdensome tail has first choice over the female; the elk buck with the biggest unbalancing, to his run, antlers is noticed first; the lion willing to risk life and limb to deal with an adversary passes on his genes; the ram who will risk starvation during the coming winter by denying himself nutrition during the fall rut, will father the most kids.

Sexual madness, frenzy, overriding the survival instinct...can also explain the ends human males will go to in order to display their "manliness".
The more insecure about it they are, the more exaggerated the displays.
Capitalism takes advantage of this fact, by putting young men to work...dreaming of the trophy wife, the perfect mate, those three kids and a two-car garage house in the suburbs...or dreaming of many mates fathering many children, the playa.
It instils in them a sense of entitlement, promotes narcissism to have them believe that they deserve the world, or the supermodel, the extraordinary mate, accolades,  of appreciation.

Blow-back is unavoidable when those inflated expectation fail to materialize.
Sense of entitlement does not diminish, but a hatred of world begins to grow when it has not submitted to those high expectations.
Nihilism, and its spiritual and ideological memes find fertile ground here.

The "bad boy" is the hyperbolic representation of masculinity in decline.
The goal is to revert back to primal sexual behaviours where the male hopes his chances increase.
Anarchy is a male projection, females almost always crave stability nuder a central authority.
The MRA is the other side of this coin - a defeatism, nature despised, and culture victimizing them; a surrender to their feminine traits, or a retardation from maleness back to infancy, or a prepubescent state.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 am

Between the public and the private face the one who can discern one form the other has the willful option of putting one on, and take the other off, at any time, depending on the circumstances.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 11:40 am

Acc. to Lunbeck, Narcissism has been Americanized by Lasch, Freud, etc. while its healthy/positive aspects have been neglected - the esteem, 'self-love' and the very ambitiousness of the American drive...

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 5:38 pm

4:48 - 6:04

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Us Greeks, we think alike.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 3:55 pm

Between Narcissism and Autism.

Satyr wrote:
Autism is genetic, and narcissism is a redisposition cultivated by environment.
Autism does not necessarily love self.
Autism is restricted by an inabiltiy to think outside the objective of interest.
Narcissism can and refuses.

The two are different.

One is self-invovled in a self-love where nothnig negative is accepted in, the autism does not discriminate...nothing disturbs its focus which is not necessarily interverted.
Nerds are insitutuinoalized autistic....they are incapable to socialize, not because they choose to but because they are focused on their specialty, and have not developed anything else.
Autism does not disrimiante according to self. Or self flattery or self gratificaiton.
It is focused and knows nothnig outside that focus.

Narcissism is internally focused....the autist is externally.
One is unable the other unwilling.

Autists too are increasing the internal.
Still cutting away from the external.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 am

I'm becoming convinced that narcissism must follow, or be built upon, a level of schizophrenia, either inherited as a genetic predisposition or produced by some traumatic event.

I perceive a double schism, one of mind immersing itself in itself, modern separation from past/nature (noumenon freed from its attachment to phenomena, words from deeds), resulting in a partial, or complete, denial of self (past/nature), allowing the image, the reflection of self in the eyes of others, or off flattering reflective surfaces (self-referential) to fill in the emptiness left-over (crisis of identity), and then the schism of the perceived reflection appreciated in compartmentalized unities, one not permitted to soil, to disturb the others, producing this selective sense of self, where the "positive" are brought into focus, and the "negative" fall back into the background, and in time ignored as irrelevant, or as overcome.
The narcissist is driven to hide himself, from him-self - leading to this Modern division of public/private identity, or nature/past separated from present, immediate, (civilized), the latter in perpetual denial of the former.
The necessity to dislodge words, as symbols of the noumenon, from phenomenon, is a matter of survival, for the schizophrenic/narcissist.

The past/nature imposes too many limitations, restriction, upon his will, forcing him to endure the time consuming, stress inducing, process of personal development.
Words are a quicker, easier fix - with a few manipulations, past/nature is corrected, and then all that is required is the far easier process of acting the preferred idea(l) out convincingly.
Finding gullible, weak, impressionable minds to convince is how the narcissistic discovers reflective surfaces to experience his schism, via otherness - validating the image through the belief of other.
Image and appearance should not be confused.
Image is a carefully crafted appearance - manufactured identity, using techniques and technologies, and social behavioural standards (trends, fashion, icons to emulate/imitate etc.).
The narcissist becomes engulfed in his image, he has set-up on his own - surrounded himself with the right reflective surfaces to play the part he wishes to be perceived as, and in their positive appreciation validate his act.

Returning back to before the trauma, if it was caused by an event and is not part of genetic inheritance (perhaps a combination of both, like homosexuality which may be latent as a predisposition, and then can be stimulated by environment to express itself), would be a return to a state before narcissism emerged to cope with world - it is a matter of personal sanity, survival.
The narcissist cannot endure himself, and the cosmos, without this schism, distancing part of self from the disturbing, traumatizing, so as to appreciate what is left as pristine, divine... perfect. His/Her gaze does not dare peek around the mirror, to what may shatter him/her once more.
he remains transfixed in his own image, perceiving cosmos with his peripheral vision, and an upturned nose and a sideways glance, as if it did not apply to him, did not touch him.

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 11:52 am

The Narcissist.

Reich wrote:
"The designation of the “phallic-narcissistic character” resulted from the necessity of defining character forms which stand between those of the compulsion neurosis and those of hysteria.

The phallic-narcissistic character differs even in external appearance from the compulsive and the hysterical character. The compulsive is predominantly inhibited, reserved, depressive; the hysteric is nervous, agile, fear-ridden, erratic. The typical phallic-narcissistic character, on the other hand, is selfassured, sometimes arrogant, elastic, energetic, often impressive in his bearing. The more neurotic the inner mechanism is, the more obtrusive these modes of behavior are and the more blatantly they are paraded about. In terms of physique, the phallic-narcissistic character is predominantly an athletic type, hardly ever an asthenic type and only in isolated cases a pyknic type (as defined by Kretschmer). His facial features usually exhibit hard and sharp masculine lines. Very often, however, despite his athletic habitus, we find feminine, girlish features (the so-called baby face). Everyday behavior is never cringing, as in the case of the passive-feminine character; it is usually arrogant, either coldly reserved or contemptuously aggressive. And sometimes his behavior is “bristly,” as a representative of this type once put it. The narcissistic element, as opposed to the object-libidinal element, stands out in the attitude toward the object, including the love object, and is always infused with more or less concealed sadistic characteristics.

In everyday life, the phallic-narcissistic character will usually anticipate any impending attack with an attack of his own. The aggression in his character is expressed less in what he does and says than in the way he acts. Particularly, he is felt to be totally aggressive and provocative by those who are not in control of their own aggression. The most pronounced types tend to achieve leading positions in life and are ill suited to subordinate positions among the rank and file. When such is the case, as in the army or similar hierarchal organizations, they compensate for the necessity of having to subordinate themselves by dominating those beneath them. If their vanity is offended, they react with cold disdain, marked ill-humor, or downright aggression.

Their narcissism, as opposed to that of other character types, is expressed not in an infantile but in a blatantly self-confident way, with a flagrant display of superiority and dignity, in spite of the fact that the basis of their nature is no less infantile than that of the other types. A comparison of their structure with the structure, for example, of a compulsive character, yields the clearest insights into the difference between pregenital and phallic-based narcissism. Notwithstanding their overwhelming concern for themselves, they sometimes form strong relationships to people and things of the world. In this respect, they show a close resemblance to the genital character. They differ from the latter, however, in that their actions show a far deeper and broader tendency to be influenced by irrational motives. This type is encountered most frequently among athletes, pilots, military men, and engineers. Aggressive courage is one of the most outstanding traits of their character, just as temporizing caution characterizes the compulsive character and the avoidance of dangerous situations characterizes the passive-feminine character. This courage and pugnacity of the phallic-narcissistic character have, as opposed to the genital character, a compensatory function and also serve to ward off contrary impulses. This is of no special importance as far as their respective achievements are concerned.

The absence of reaction formations against his openly aggressive and sadistic behavior distinguishes the phallic-narcissistic character from the compulsive character. We shall have to demonstrate that this aggressive behavior itself fulfills a function of defense. Because of the free aggression in the relatively unneurotic representatives of this type, social activities are strong, impulsive, energetic, to the point, and usually productive. The more neurotic the character is, the more extravagant and one-sided the activities appear—although they are not necessarily that extravagant and one-sided in actual fact. Between these actions and the creation of paranoic systems lie the many variations of this character type. The behavior of the phallic-narcissistic character differs from that of the compulsive character in its demonstration of greater boldness and less thoroughness with respect to details.

In phallic-narcissistic men, erective potency, as opposed to orgastic potency, is very well developed. Relationships with women are disturbed by the typical derogatory attitude toward the female sex. Nonetheless, the representatives of this character type are looked upon as eminently desirable sexual objects because they reveal all the marks of obvious masculinity in their appearance. Though not a rarity, the phallic-narcissistic character among women is far less frequently found. The neurotic forms are characterized by active homosexuality and clitoral excitability. The genitally healthier forms are characterized by enormous self-confidence that is based on physical vigor or beauty. Almost all forms of active male and female homosexuality, most cases of so-called moral insanity, paranoia, and the related forms of schizophrenia, and, moreover, many cases of erythrophobia and manifestly sadistic male perverts, belong to the phallic-narcissistic character type. Productive women very often fall under this category.

Along with pride in the real or, as the case may be, fantasized phallus, there is a strong phallic aggression. Unconsciously, the penis, in the case of the male of this type, serves less as an instrument of love than as an instrument of aggression, wreaking revenge upon the woman. This accounts for the strong erective-potency characteristic of this type, but also for the relative incapacity for orgastic experience. In the childhood histories of the phallic-narcissistic character, the most severe disappointments in love are found with surprising regularity, disappointments precisely in the heterosexual objects, i.e., in the mother in the case of boys and in the father in the case of girls. And, in fact, these disappointments are experienced at the height of the striving to win the object by phallic exhibition. In the case of the male representatives of this type, the mother is very often the stricter parent, or the father died at an early age or was not married to the mother and was never present.

The inhibition of the further development to genital object-love in childhood because of a severe frustration of genital and exhibitionistic activities at the height of their development, typically by that parent or guardian on whom the genital interests had begun to focus, results in an identification with the genitally desired parent or guardian on a genital level. Boys, for example, relinquish and introject the female object and shift their interests to the father (active homosexuality, because phallic). The mother is retained as a desired object but only with narcissistic attitudes and sadistic impulses of revenge. Again and again such men seek unconsciously to prove to women how potent they are. At the same time, however, the sexual act constitutes a piercing or destroying—closer to the surface, a degrading—of the woman.

In phallic-narcissistic women, genital revenge upon the man (castration) during the sexual act and the attempt to make him or have him appear impotent becomes, in an analogous way, the leading tendency. This is certainly not at variance with the sexual attraction exercised by these strongly erotic characters on the opposite sex. Hence, we often meet with a neurotic-polygamous inability to stick to one’s partner, the active inducing of disappointments, and passive flight from the possibility of being deserted. In other cases, where narcissistic sensitivity disturbs the mechanism of compensation, we find a weak potency, which the individual will not admit. The more disturbed the potency is, the more unstable the general mood usually is. In such cases, there are sudden vacillations from moods of manly self-confidence to moods of deep depression. Capacity for work is likewise severely disturbed.

The phallic-exhibitionistic and sadistic attitude serves simultaneously as a defense against diametrically opposite tendencies. The compulsive character, following genital frustration, regresses to the earlier stage of anality and develops reaction formations here. The phallic-narcissistic character remains at the phallic stage—indeed, he exaggerates its manifestations; but he does this with the intent of protecting himself against a regression to the passive and anal stages. In the course of the analysis of such characters, we meet with more and more intense and concentrated, while at the same time rigidly warded off, anal and passive tendencies. However, these tendencies do not directly constitute the character. Rather, it is mainly determined by the defense against these tendencies in the form of phallic sadism and exhibitionism, a defense proceeding from an ego that has become phallic-narcissistic. There is a marked difference here between the passive-feminine and the phallic-narcissistic character. Whereas the former wards off his aggression and his genital impulses with the help of anal and passive surrender, the latter wards off his anal and passive-homosexual tendencies with the help of phallic aggression. We often hear analysts describe such characters as anal and passive homosexual. However, just as the passive-feminine character cannot be designated as phallic-sadistic because he wards off these impulses, the phallic-narcissistic character cannot be described as anal-passive because he successfully subdues these impulses in himself. The character is determined not by what it wards off but by the way in which it does it and by the instinctual forces which the ego uses for this purpose.

In cases of moral insanity, active homosexuality, and phallic sadism, as well as in sublimated forms of these types, e.g., professional athletes, this defense succeeds well; the warded-off tendencies of passive and anal homosexuality are merely expressed in certain exaggerations.

In cases of paranoia, on the other hand, the warded-off tendencies break through in the form of delusions. Erythrophobia is closely related to the paranoic form of this character; the representation of pathological blushing is often found in the anamnesis of paranoid schizophrenia. A patient suffering from erythrophobia falls victim to a symptomatic breakthrough of the warded-off passive and anal homosexuality inasmuch as he gives up masturbation because of acute castration anxiety. The sexual stasis which builds up weakens the defense function of the ego and affects vasomotor activity. Active homosexuality, phallic sadism, and moral insanity, on the other hand, have a strong ego defense, provided there is effective libido gratification. If, for one reason or another, this gratification is interrupted for any length of time, the passive and anal tendency also breaks through in these cases, either symptomatically or openly.

Among the phallic-narcissistic-sadistic characters, one often finds addicts, especially alcoholics. Not only warded-off homosexuality lies at the root of these addictions, but also another specific trait of this character type, likewise the result of phallic frustration.

In alcoholism, there is also a regression to the oral position. Accordingly, the typical traits of the phallic-narcissistic character are effaced in the alcoholic. In the phallic-narcissistic character, the transitions between the healthy, object-libidinal form on the one hand and the acutely pathological, pregenital forms of addiction and chronic depression on the other hand are far more numerous and diverse than they are in other character types. In psychopathology, much is said about the affinity between the genius and the criminal. However, the type they have in mind is a product neither of the compulsive nor of the hysterical nor of the masochistic character; he derives predominantly from the phallic-narcissistic character. Most of the sex murderers of recent years belong to this character type." [Character Analysis]

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 11:10 am

Quote :
"There is a personality disorder known as normopathy. It’s like psychopathy but differs in that rather than substituting an imaginary reality for what they perceive, they substitute a social norm regardless of how that affects their wellbeing or impairs their daily function. They can be driven to emotional breakdown when something prevents them from asserting and preserving that social norm in their environment. What do you think of this? They believe so powerfully in the social consensus, normalization, that it impairs and even cripples their personal resourcefulness, often leaving them to be dependent on external validation."

Quote :
"The term disaffectation was coined by noted French psychoanalyst Joyce McDougall as a strictly psychoanalytic term for alexithymia, a neurological condition characterized by severe lack of emotional awareness. McDougall felt that alexithymia had become too strongly classified as a neuroanatomical defect and concretized as an intractable illness leaving little room for a purely psychoanalytic explanation for this phenomenon.

In coining the term McDougall hoped to indicate the behavior of people who had experienced overwhelming emotion that threatened to attack their sense of integrity and identity. Such individuals, unable to repress the ideas linked to emotional pain and equally unable to project these feelings delusively onto representations of other people, simply ejected them from consciousness by "pulverizing all trace of feeling, so that an experience which has caused emotional flooding is not recognized as such and therefore cannot be contemplated". They were not suffering from an inability to experience or express emotion, but from "an inability to contain and reflect over an excess of affective experience."

'Disaffectation' conveys a deliberate double meaning. The Latin prefix dis-, indicates separation or loss and suggests, metaphorically, that certain people are psychologically separated from their emotions and may have "lost" the capacity to be in touch with interior psychic reality. Also included in this prefix is the secondary meaning from the Greek dys- with its implication of illness."

Hans-Joachim Maaz wrote:
"Normopathy therefore means disturbed social conditions, a social misdevelopment, whose pathology is no longer recognized as it is represented, experienced and defended by the majority.
What everybody does, what is politically desirable, the mainstream of opinion and positions
cannot be wrong. Majority views supersede truth. In psychodynamic terms, normopathy is a
socially accepted reality for collective neurotic denial and defence against emotional injury, which
is present in the majority of the population."

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Paranoia is a product of increased awareness, finding common ground with ignorance.
The ignorant is paranoid because of the unknown, the hyper-aware of the known, exposing him to probabilities he cannot make preparations for.
Skepticism is what sparks paranoia.
A cynicism towards human expressions of intent.

If skepticism does not exceed a certain level of tolerance, cynicism multiplying its effect, the individual keeps it in check, with no evidence of it externalized.
When the individual's physical and mental resources suffice, indifference towards a potential loss reduces skepticism directed to the particular - the individual can absorb the loss as a lesson learned.
Cynicism flourishes among the vulnerable, and in times of resource stresses.
Paranoia in nature is part of the survival instinct - faced with the unknown the organism sides with the negative possibility, and only with the positive when the alternative has the potential for a higher cost.
Fitness signaling, as the kind that uses self-handicapping, is impressive for this reason.

Paranoia in modern sheltering environment of man-made superfluity, is a remnant of this primal instinct, evolved in more austere, and threatening natural circumstances.
When it prevents the calm and easy distribution of personal energies, by holding them back in stressed reserved, it inhibits social cohesion, and materialism, as the continuous flow of money/code - the life blood of the SuperOrganism, a condition that musty be healed, like one places a stent in an artery.
Cynicism can only prove to be detrimental to the SuperOrganism when it spreads an attitude that prevents the open flow of code/blood.
Self-Handicapping becomes the only acceptable way of signaling fitness, by males.
Risky behavior under controlled circumstances, ostentatious attitudes, bragging, an opening up to any possibility, including self-degradation, because cost/benefit is regulated, and reputation, including sexual promiscuity, only follows you as credit rating, with no specifics, are all part of Modern "health".

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed May 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Aristocratic Narcissism
To value what is superior only when it is of Self.
Delusion of the nobleman God-king.
Not to be inspired by greatness, or to admire it when it cannot be attained by Self, but to present Self as its representation of the exceptional, deserving the admiration of others, and inspiring others to be like it.

Subjectivization of the standard of evaluating the exceptional.
Part of the nihilistic paradigm.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Megalomania...from the Greek μέγας, and μανία....
Megas = large, great.
Mania = state of obsession, characterized by inflated fantasies, excess energies.
Hyperbolic desire.
A psychosis where the mind behaves and thinks in a manner exceeding his/her own abilities.
A sense of grandiosity, not supported by reality.
Megalomania is a product of aristocratic narcissism.

In relation to semiotics, the psychosis finds grandiosity in displays using symbols, words, objects or attitudes associated with a socioeconomic, cultural ideal.
Magical word-power is supposed to impress a desirable image upon those who are exposed to the symbols, triggering specific imagery of social, group, dominance, never supported by actions, deeds.
Such displays usually express the essence of inversion characteristic of Nihilism.
An individual over-inflates what he/she feels most insecure about.
The usage of words is meant to avoid the high cost of actions, and their repetition is meant to imprint the desired effect in another's mind.  
some supportive feedback is possible if the psychotic chooses his audience carefully, based on their Impressionability - feebleness of mind, retardation - stunted development; deficiency in individual energies attracted to any surge of external pathos; lostness, an incapacity to give self direction; insecure egos seeking a compensating ego - emasculation, female disposition to be attracted to what is superior to itself, founded no its self-esteem.  

Messianic Complex is a variant. Humility used as a ruse to cover an exaggerated, and unfulfilled ego.
Another variant is the current cult of individuality, expressed as Hyper-Masculinity.
Emasculation forces the individual to compensate by inflating its masculine status with displays adopting social symbols, language, commercial idolatry.
The slave seeks in a singular God, an association to compensate for its own impoverishment.
Words and symbols are used to associate self with a idea(l).

In philosophy, as in politics, and the entertainment industry, it takes the form of being someone's representative - a representation of a representation of a world-view. The embodiment of the idea(l), the idol.
World is engages through the idol as proxy - self declaring itself the lens through which the idol's brilliance is focused - icon of an idol, prophet of a God, Hero of a King.
In extreme cases the individual declares himself the light focused by the idol.
The idol becomes an icon, the god is degraded, becoming a prophet of the individual's Divinity - psychosis has attained an apex.

A masculine psychosis connected with the frenzy of sexual competition - the madness of lust/love.
The desire to dominate, so as to achieve temporal longevity (fitness), is hyper-inflated when it has suffered a deflation.          

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyWed May 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Best example (specimen) of the above is Trump.

We see, in him, the disconnect between his self-evaluation, in relation to reality.
Born of unusual privilege he considers himself a self-made man.
Megalomania, with a bit of Messianic Complex, and hyper-masculinity - he thinks he can save the U.S. - he is convinced he deserves the best, he declares himself an ideal others ought to emulate and be inspired by.
Paranoia is part of the conflict of ideal from real.
Psychosis interpreting all contradictions to his judgments, as the work of a conspiracy. It does not even dawn on him that the issue may be himself.
He wills his greatness and when he is proven wrong, it is the work of a competing Will - if not God, then another man.

His entire identity is built no symbols of his greatness.
He is his own icon - product to be consumed.
He is the symbol.

Nihilistic systems produce this type, as they produce social autism, and hyper-masculinity (look at the cRAP scene).
This is the collateral effect of Nihilistic ideology.
With no reality to correct the mind (sheltering), it is prone to extreme under-over-estimations.
Hypo-Hyper-judgments.
With no God, or natural order, all order is interpreted as the creation of a will - an affront upon a fragile ego needing something to validate its maleness.
All order is a product of a Self - from God to Individual organism.

The antithesis of the megalomaniac, is the micro-maniac. If self cannot be great, then no one can be great.
Vengeance of the once megalomaniac, who has been humbled by life, upon those who have not.
His humility, born of consistent, compounding errors in judgment, will become a uni-versal truth.
If not the ONE, then None.

I've defined the two poles of nihilistic psychosis as 'positive' Nihilism and pure or authentic Nihilism.
Sex being a big factor.
Masculine Nihilism versus Feminine Nihilism.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am

Seesawing...

Degenerates routinely allude to complexity when they wish to pretend superiority, or to avoid the obvious, and then use simplicity to ridicule and, again, to avoid the obvious.

One degenerate will claim humans are too complex to deal with as a category, and then another will reduce race and sex to a single trait, like a sexual organ or skin pigmentation.
It's all part of the hypocrisy and hyperinflation/deflation characteristic of post-modernity, and the memetic did-ease = Nihilism.

As always....race, like species, like type, like eidos, indicates a potential, a probability...a pattern.
A pattern has an oscillation arch.
Nature establishes the upper and lower levels of an organic potential.
When it falls beneath the lower it is considered dysfunctional, when it exceeds the upper it is considered exceptional, rare.
All this within the parameters of proportionality determine functionality.
Therefore, to exceed the upper limit may prove to be detrimental to the organism, in regards to tis survival potential.
We can place intelligence into this category.

The average intelligence of a cow is considered retardation in relation to the average in humans.
A human that falls well below the average typical of the species is considered dysfunctional.
A human that exceeds the upper limit may be genius, but not necessarily fit.
Intelligence has proven to be detrimental to well-being.

A race in humans simply exposes the sensual markers of a historical becoming, determining the upper and lower levels in all traits, and not only physical ones.
The history of the races, the types and cultures and their particular qualities bear witness to the fact of their inherited potentials.

If you wish to breed a strong dog, you do not go to a small, weak, fragile breed.
you want to increase the probabilities, so you uses sensual markers and precedent (history, experience) to choose the most likely specimen to give you the traits you desire.
If you wish to bred a fast dog, you do not choose a bulldog, or a chihuahua.
Depending no the type of dog you wish to breed, the eidos, you use precedent, history, experience, and you combine it with an observation and evaluation of the specific dog.

Degenerates, of course, reject physical breeding, eugenics, but practice it, as memetic breeding - socially selecting the ideal type of human: dumb, complacent, narcissistic, hyper-masculine/feminine, ignorant, hedonistic, simple pretending to be complex.
Dysgenics is multiculturalism.

Reducing humanity to a species of mu(t)ts, is to erase the millions of years it took to evolve the specific types, with the specific potentials.
Degenerates wish to disappear in chaos, and uniformity.
Their only method of self-esteem is popularity - selling themselves to as many of their own kind, as possible.
Quantity over Quality.
Their ideas disappear if there are no minds to infect - virus.

The reduction of types will proceed to break apart the categories of male/female, and then of species, as part of the degenerate 'logic".
A pan-psychic cosmic union.
Everything, including inanimate matter, will be converted to a uniformity of all traits.
Therefore, even rocks will be given sentience, and consciousness, using words.

Words, symbols affecting the mind, are the only way they can deal with an unyielding reality, where their delusions are impotent.

Schizophrenia and Narcissism are necessary psychotic conditions for the cultivation of the ideal Modern - the Last Man.
His words must be self-involved, self-flattering, self-supporting, with no external reality to disturb or challenge them.
They must say one thing, think another, and act in a third.
so schizophrenia is a must.
It separates personality from character.
The genetic from the memetic.
The natural Self, as the sum of all that preceded it, from the social self. A role one plays, and in playing it becomes convinced he is it.
How many you convince determines how well you can fool yourself, by fooling others.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 am

McGilchrist commenting on Jaynes thesis on the “Bicameral Mind”:
McGilchrist, Iain wrote:
I believe Jaynes was near to making a breakthrough – did in fact make one – but that, perhaps derailed by the view of schizophrenia outlined above, his conclusion was diametrically opposed to the one he should have drawn. His insight that there was a connection between the voices of the gods and changes in the mental world of those who heard them, that this might have something to do with the brain, and indeed that it concerned the relationship between the hemispheres, remains, in my view, fundamentally correct. However, I believe he got one important aspect of the story back to front. His contention that the phenomena he describes came about because of a breakdown of the ‘bicameral’ mind – so that the two hemispheres, previously separate, now merged – is the precise inverse of what happened. The phenomena came about because of a relative separation of the two chambers, the two hemispheres. Phenomena that were previously uncomplicatedly experienced as part of a relatively unified consciousness now became alien. Intuitions, no longer acted on unselfconsciously, no longer ‘transparent’, no longer simply subsumed into action without the necessity of deliberation, became objects of consciousness, brought into the plane of attention, opaque, objectified. Where there had been previously no question of whether the workings of the mind were ‘mine’, since the question would have had no meaning – there being no cut off between the mind and the world around, no possibility of standing back from one's own thought processes to ascribe them to oneself or anyone or anything else – there was now a degree of detachment which enabled the question to arise, and led to the intuitive, less explicit, thought processes being objectified as voices (as they are in schizophrenia), viewed as coming from ‘somewhere else’. This interpretation, moreover, has the advantage that it fits with what we know about the tendency in schizophrenia to bring into conscious awareness processes normally left unconscious and intuitive.[
The Master and His Emissary – The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World
]
My own positions on the subject act as a bridge between Jaynes and McGilchrist. A gradual development of the “frontal lobes” strengthened the communication and synthesis between the left/right hemispheres, experienced as an awakening of self to itself – to mind to body. The experiences of what we now call conscience must have been disconcerting as this increased the sources of suffering and anxiety in individuals that now began to perceive themselves objectively, i.e., increasingly becoming aware of self in relation to other from a third-person perspective – something animals and less sophisticated consciousness was not burdened by. We can only assume that this process began in superior individuals within tribal hierarchies, which were then given a privileged status of ones that could communicate with spirits and the divine, or were feared as being possessed by – (shamans, gradually developing into the priestly class). So far I am in agreement with Jaynes, but he stopped there and did not develop his idea further lending credence to McGilchrist’s critique. The process of awakening to self, increasing the sources of anxiety/suffering, must have triggered the organisms’ defensiveness, because the brain’s utility is to promote the survival and growth of the organism it participates within. I believe a defensive mechanism of fight/flight may have been expressed as the antagonism between men and gods, but that both strategies could not find a resolution, as brain, from where mind emerges, canto detach form body – nor can the left-hemisphere disconnect from the right – without severe consequences. Nature, once more, found an ingenious solution, which directs us to McGilchrist’s analysis. The solution was a selective and partial disconnection of left/right hemispheres not organically but linguistically, creating two distinct compartmentalisations in the left/hemisphere which brings us to Orwell’s newspeak as the final outcome. Schizophrenia, as McGilchrist noted in his rejection of Jaynes, is a modern phenomenon, because it is in modern man that nihilism has found a socioeconomic utility.
My positions on nihilism state that it is a cognitive defensiveness using semiotics (language) to create a cognitive wall, protecting mind form body – or in McGilchrist’s contexts, the left from the right hemisphere.
Both Jaynes and McGilchrist can be synthesized through Nihilism into one cohesive model.
McGilchrist, Iain wrote:
Putting it at its simplest, where Jaynes interprets the voices of the gods as being due to the disconcerting effects of the opening of a door between the hemispheres, so that the voices could for the first time be heard, I see them as being due to the closing of the door, so that the voices of intuition now appear distant, ‘other'; familiar but alien, wise but uncanny – in a word, divine.
My thesis is that the separation of the hemispheres brought with it both advantages and
disadvantages. It made possible a standing outside of the ‘natural’ frame of reference, the common-sense everyday way in which we see the world. In doing so it enabled us to build on that ‘necessary distance’ from the world and from ourselves, achieved originally by the frontal lobes, and gave us insight into things that otherwise we could not have seen, even making it possible for us to form deeper empathic connections with one another and with the world at large. The best example of this is the fascinating rise of drama in the Greek world, in which the thoughts and feelings of our selves and of others are apparently objectified, and yet returned to us as our own. A special sort of seeing arises, in which both distance and empathy are crucial.
But the separation also sowed the seeds of left-hemisphere isolationism, allowing the left hemisphere to work unchecked. At this stage in cultural history, the two hemispheres were still working largely together, and so the benefits outweighed by a long way the disadvantages, but the disadvantages became more apparent over time.
The Master and His Emissary – The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World

Frontal lobes bridged right/left hemisphere connectivity “opening the doors” of cognition but then the doors were closed and locked, allowing only partial and selective connectivity, or the left/hemisphere reacted defensively creating cognitive pockets linguistically delineated so as to protect itself, and the organism, from the right/hemisphere’s impact. A self-imposed incoherence produced Orwellian political linguistics that allowed two contrary world-views and linguistics to coexist simultaneously within the same brain, i.e., multiple minds emerging from one brain. A form of self-induced madness, or schizophrenia that was the product of ideals conflicting with the real, finding a solution where they could coexist with ideals that related to the real.
As I’ve said, nihilism is an inversion of the relationship between ideal & real – a semiotic overturning. We see this clearly in how the connection between left/right hemispheres can be selectively inverted converting McGilchrist’s “emissary” into an authoritarian master, and the “master” to be ignored by its own “emissary”, or to be considered it’s “slave”; a metaphorical disconnection of mind from body where body is relegated to an inconsequential and subordinate status, or completely dismissed, along with all corporeality and tangible reality.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 am

Abandonment of the real is part of nihilism, and the adoption of an alternative, an ideal, an ideology, a set of abstractions that inflate the ego to supernatural proportions.
The narcissist self-assesment is based on an idealization of himself/herself. He is the center of existence.
Turning inward into oneself is solipsistic - self-referential. It supports and validates its own fantasies of itself.
External people can only contribute to this image. when they contradict it they are dismissed as "evil" or "useless".

Objectivity = masculinity spirit
Subjectivity = feminine spirit

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissism & Schizophrenia Narcissism & Schizophrenia - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Narcissism & Schizophrenia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next