Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Empty
PostSubject: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Review the latest pop-culture creation: Movies, Music, Art

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Saw the latest Batman movie:
The Dark Knight

The special effects were as amazing as they were expected to be.
I was pleasantly surprised considering the last movie where The Joker stole the show.
It wasn't quite as good, I found, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The themes were pretty much the same: order versus chaos and the responsibility of the rising overmen.
This time the Joker's representation of chaos was represented by another form of it.
The Joker was the individual "mad" genius with no moral feeling and no sense of belonging; an individualistic rebel who only used mininos as tools to spread havoc in a world he did not belong to and felt estranged from.
He wants to teach the world a lesson, but not to destroy it - Dionysus represented in a modernistic Satyr.

In this one the chaos is more organized and more nihilistic, coming to us in the usual form of a terrorist organization, most popular these days, birthed in crime and counter-cultural despair.
The "evil" comes from those who were rejected or who were discarded by the system.
They have nothing to lose and so total destruction is their aim; they despise themselves and have no hope in their future and so they mean to take the world down with them.

As always Batman is the "superior" man who can relate to this chaos but has already invested too much in the system to turn his back to it.
An anti-hero hero. A defender of order with hope. He will rehabilitate, cleanse, order of all its imperfections - Apollo.

Born a billionaire he is fully invested in the system but has also experienced the state of being an outcast.
The message is clear and easy, so as to have all of the dumbed-down spectators get-it:
It is best to settle for a known evil than to risk an unknown one.

The corruption of Gotham City is preferable, manageable, perhaps salvageable, because the alternative is too risky and chaotic to be controlled.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Batman - The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I like this one best of all Batman movies. It shows Batmans weak spot. His compassion for the masses, because he was raised by the public after his parents were killed. There are 1-3 characters in this movie, who mirror Batman, in a way, that he makes the most personal progress in this movie. Batman gets confronted by his "shadow" (C.G. Jung) and he has to integrate it somehow, or at least look at it. I read from people criticizing the movie for this "weaker" Batman. I think its strength lies exactly there. The question: What motivates him? It is the Bruce Wayne movie actually.

Prometheus (2012)

The movie is great. It has so many flaws, but the images are beautiful and there are a couple of ideas that stuck with me. Drink a coffee while watching it, to stay awake. It's worth it.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Quote :
Prometheus (2012)
The movie is great. It has so many flaws, but the images are beautiful and there are a couple of ideas that stuck with me. Drink a coffee while watching it, to stay awake. It's worth it.

That is a terrible film. They shat all over that franchise since Resurrection. I could not even watch it the whole way through.

Between the 2 scientists saying that doubt is immoral and that they "choose" to believe in their Ancient Aliens theory because it satisfies them emotionally, Charlize Theron the Aryan alpha female being humbled by being seduced by the mindless nigger caricature of Idris Elba, that was the point at which I could not go on, and walked out.

There is absolutely no comparison between that piece of shit and Alien or Aliens.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Quote :

That is a terrible film. They shat all over that franchise since Resurrection. I could not even watch it the whole way through.

I watched it in 3 parts at home. It made me tired. I compare it a little bit to "Inception". That was a terrible film. But also had it's one or two immensely gripping moments. But here you should have watched the end. The end makes up for a lot of suffering throughout the film. And I don't mean the very end, to be specific. I am talking about certain events in the last 20 minutes of the film.

Quote :

Between the 2 scientists saying that doubt is immoral and that they "choose" to believe in their Ancient Aliens theory because it satisfies them emotionally, Charlize Theron the Aryan alpha female being humbled by being seduced by the mindless nigger caricature of Idris Elba, that was the point at which I could not go on, and walked out.

I thought that was so realistic! Messed up, but to me this is what gave the film a realistic tone.

Quote :

There is absolutely no comparison between that piece of shit and Alien or Aliens.

You would laugh your ass off at the VERY end of the film! Talking about "Aliens"... You walked out too early. Did you get what the android said (what the head told him), when asked by the blonde alpha female?... That was the other highlight to me.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:06 am

Quote :
I thought that was so realistic! Messed up, but to me this is what gave the film a realistic tone.

Realistic?

It's making a relative valuation between blind belief in comforting delusion versus doubt leading to rational inquiry and knowledge of reality; as well as using miscegenation with an exagerrated stereotype of a lower race as a form of vicarious revenge against Caucasians.
It has Jew written all over it. Did you watch Inglorious Basterds? That is a satire of this phenomenon.

Watching Alien and Aliens in comparison you see strong sympathetic characters faced with villains that you can actually dislike, like Burke.... the objective there was to tell a good story, not to advance a political narrative whose blow is softened by dazzling special effects to seduce the simple-minded, like yourself.
Even watching those early films you see the stark difference in the eras themselves.

This is demonstrative of a wider problem in Hollywood. Movies are created by vested interests. What they make is propaganda, not entertainment. They are references to or deconstructions of what went before. No new ground is being explored. As a result in the space of the last 10-20 years the quality of what they produce has severely deteriorated... which is also why media from the Far East has become so influential. It is filling a void represented by the cultural decadence of the West.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Quote :

Quote:

Realistic?

Well, I guess we probably agree. It is a fairy tale. But within our artificial matrix it is realistic. If current trends continue, this will be our only "HOPE" to ever achieve space travel like that. We'd need "miracles" or "wonders".

I see today white girls hooking up with blacks. Not THAT alpha kind, like in the movie, but 100 years from now... And that a negroe flies a space ship... He didn't construct it. Maybe it'll be as easy as driving a car. I've seen them do that.

Quote :

It's making a relative valuation between blind belief in comforting delusion versus doubt leading to rational inquiry and knowledge of reality;

It is clearly influenced by Erich von Däniken and the Annunaki myths. In science sometimes this kind of progress does occur (see Kuhn "Structures of scientific revolutions"). By "chance" alone or belief. Scientific progress is as much about dreams and visions as about knowledge and hard facts alone. Without a vision, no one even discusses space travels. That's why movies like this serve a scientific purpose. (It makes kids want to become scientists.) Here this is the case. The outer space realm plays a significant role in this movie, as you will see in the end. A fairy tale, like Lord of the Rings, not actual science, as of today. Like a mere prolonging of current scientific progress, but clearly with some kind of unforseen and revolutions in consciousness along the way.

Quote :

as well as using miscegenation with an exagerrated stereotype of a lower race as a form of vicarious revenge against Caucasians.

In the end it is a caucasian, an asian and the black guy together..., I won't give the ending away. (This isn't my favorite part either, it's cheesy Hollywood Kitsch, but there is something great at the end.) The whole movie is very much about race though. Not only the human race and about the idea of creationism. See the greek mythology. I have always thought there should be a place for that in the movies. Not just the atheist type. I preferred Babylon 5 before Star Trek, because it also focussed more on the different cultures/races, than on the technology alone. Deep Space 9, was my favorite Star Trek, for the same reason.

Quote :

It has Jew written all over it. Did you watch Inglorious Basterds? That is a satire of this phenomenon.

I heard Alex Jones trash the movie, before it came out. I must say, I didn't see any of what he said the movie was going to be about.

Inglorious Basterds was awful. Maybe the last nail in that coffin, of humiliating Germans. I didn't recognize the satire in that one. A friend of mine was an orphan, who doesn't know his parents and I tease him about being a jew, when he's gets religious with me. It's a memetic thing. He defends himself then and says he is Greek. There is a gap between the different Jews that is even greater, than we could imagine. The Basterd movie was "exploitation". That's what that kind is called. Exploiting German guilt. Now everyone here is a zombie already, so nothing more to exploit.

Quote :

Watching Alien and Aliens in comparison you see strong sympathetic characters faced with villains that you can actually dislike, like Burke....

Those were the 80's. Movies like that aren't produced anymore. "Strange Days" was a good movie, in the 90's that still carried some of that feeling. "Enemy mine" was great.

Quote :

the objective there was to tell a good story, not to advance a political narrative whose blow is softened by dazzling special effects to seduce the simple-minded, like yourself.

I will watch Aliens again. "A simple mind" may be a good thing, within all the modern confusion. I challenge atheism and try to show the difference towards paganism.

Quote :

Even watching those early films you see the stark difference in the eras themselves.

Yes.

Quote :

This is demonstrative of a wider problem in Hollywood. Movies are created by vested interests. What they make is propaganda, not entertainment. They are references to or deconstructions of what went before. No new ground is being explored. As a result in the space of the last 10-20 years the quality of what they produce has severely deteriorated... which is also why media from the Far East has become so influential. It is filling a void represented by the cultural decadence of the West.

Hollywood has lost immensely with German movie-goers. But a few good movies a year, still come out, in my opinion the Batman and Prometheus were those two good ones of 2012.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Quote :
Well, I guess we probably agree. It is a fairy tale. But within our artificial matrix it is realistic. If current trends continue, this will be our only "HOPE" to ever achieve space travel like that. We'd need "miracles" or "wonders".

I see today white girls hooking up with blacks. Not THAT alpha kind, like in the movie, but 100 years from now... And that a negroe flies a space ship... He didn't construct it. Maybe it'll be as easy as driving a car. I've seen them do that.

The movie is not realistic in the sense that realism describes reality as it is; nor is it presenting an aspirational tale about space exploration. The story is rooted firmly on the Earth and refers only to the Earth. In particular the American cultural narrative which has come to dominate the West.
The sci-fi element is simply a vehicle for the socio-political message. This is made more obvious than usual because the plot is crap enough that the illusion cannot sustain itself.

Quote :
It is clearly influenced by Erich von Däniken and the Annunaki myths. In science sometimes this kind of progress does occur (see Kuhn "Structures of scientific revolutions"). By "chance" alone or belief. Scientific progress is as much about dreams and visions as about knowledge and hard facts alone.

Not vision; faith. I only remember the film vaguely, but the scientists deride some other guy when he questions the unfounded assumptions they make with regard to their theory. The conclusion one draws is that doubt is a sin and belief is moral because it provides an emotional reward.
These cultists are apparently "scientists". That is the great irony of this film.

It provides a simplistic message to simplistic minds.

Quote :
Star Trek

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Trek-Marxism.html

Quote :
I heard Alex Jones trash the movie, before it came out. I must say, I didn't see any of what he said the movie was going to be about.

I think there is a lot you don't see, princess.

I don't know anything about Alex Jones, but the power of media in a democratic society like the West where power is derived from steering the mob effectively is profound. It is not irrational to assume that the media as a source of information about the world as well as a source of conceptualizations that shape our perception of the world is used to shepherd this mob in the same way as religion.

When I go to the cinema these days I go with the feeling that I am viewing a presentation whose very premise and ideals lie contrary to my own. That what I am experiencing is not entertainment but rather a passive-aggressive form of attack, subtly or not-so-subtly cloaked in a clown's costume. Television is the same.

But both forms have lost out to the internet recently.... and so we are seeing now a shift in the methods of human domestication and human farming.
Last year, control of the internet revolved around the issue of piracy. Today it has switched to "xenophobia". But really the issue is about the control of the flow of information and ideas - in particular the kind of information and ideas.

Democracy is the Mob, like Rome before it. The mob must be steered.

Quote :
Inglorious Basterds was awful. Maybe the last nail in that coffin, of humiliating Germans. I didn't recognize the satire in that one.

I like to think (hope) it was satire. It might not have been. Certainly, many would have taken it seriously.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Quote :

Not vision; faith. I only remember the film vaguely, but the scientists deride some other guy when he questions the unfounded assumptions they make with regard to their theory. The conclusion one draws is that doubt is a sin and belief is moral because it provides an emotional reward.

Yes. But you gotta believe in something, "you gotta have heart, kiddo! Isn't that what keeps you going? Something to believe in!?" (-"Gus Shepard", from Nowhere Man EP 9)
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 am

Quote :
Yes. But you gotta believe in something

Belief which is founded upon and coincides with reality, not upon the emotional needs of intellectual adolescents.

Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 am

apaosha wrote:
I couldn't agree more.

Prometheus was a disappointment on so many levels. They even bought Christianity into it. Hardly any of the narrative made sense given the original Alien film.

And who can forget some of the classic lines from Aliens...

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No. Have you?

Ripley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 am

apaosha wrote:

Belief which is founded upon and coincides with reality, not upon the emotional needs of intellectual adolescents.

What exactly do you believe in?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I didn't even know "Prometheus" was related to the "Alien" movies. The subject is a way other one, way more philosophical. Even Richard Dawkins admitted: we may have Alien creators and that he can not exclude this thesis.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Laconian wrote:
What exactly do you believe in?

The demonstrable.

A belief is a starting premise or preconception we have about reality, against which we orientate our developing perception of reality. The given, upon which our understanding of what we observe is founded. The filter through which we sift our senses.

Since these preconceptions influence our perception of reality and the conceptualizations we fashion from this perception, it is important to test these beliefs themselves to ensure they too are accurate.

I go into detail with that regarding the notions of the infinite regress of causality, something/nothing, ex nihilo/causa sui as they pertain to the continuing process of interactivity or Becoming which constitutes the present. Satyr calls it Flux.
With that, the starting, unquestioned, premise held by the average is that reality must have a beginning.... because causality is seen to follow the dichotomy of cause and effect; one Thing disappearing and the other Thing appearing, essentially out of nothing, an ill-defined gap lying between them: the extreme of which is Platonic Idealism. Whereas I sought to express a flow, a movement... a continuing manifestation of past interaction, which is constantly moving in Time (the measure of change) which cannot end in a final nothingness.... because nothing is an invented counterpart to something which is itself questionable, and the final end representing an unreachable, unachievable absolute.

Something that does not change is something that does not interact, cannot affect or be affected, does not move in time. This is not demonstrable, nor is it believable.

Yet those scientists insert a moral judgement into the undemonstrable. Faith, not the scientific method, is valuable to them. This is the message of the film.

Among other things.

Laconian wrote:
I didn't even know "Prometheus" was related to the "Alien" movies. The subject is a way other one, way more philosophical. Even Richard Dawkins admitted: we may have Alien creators and that he can not exclude this thesis.

Well now you know.

Dawkins is an old woman. Like an 80-year-old spinster who never kissed a man. A nun or something.

Anyway, the fossil record of Earth would suggest that we were not engineered by Aliens, an idea which is not at all philosophical. Simply the modern age reinventing creator spirits, superstition adapting itself in order to incorporate astrological discoveries.
Back to top Go down
https://knowthyself.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm

You seem to clearly favor science and scientific progress. But isn't that creation? Isn't that also a form of creating something... Recombining of what is given, yes. But still it's a composition. I see the Philosophy and scientific core of the movie in this DNA sector. In Biology. I didn't pay attention to the space-craft or even the superstition that lead the crew to that planet. And the open ending of the movie leaves room for a lot of thought. "Try harder", is what the alien-head said and the android understood. This is the message of our creators to the human race. And I think it is an uplifting message.

Blonde female: "What did he say, David?"
Android: "I don't think he'd want me to tell."
[Blonde female threatens him.]
Android: "He said: try harder."

There we are. Like with the Hannibal Lecter or the Vampires. A species above our own. "Try harder." There is potential within us, but we haven't reached the limit of this potential yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Quote :

Prometheus (Greek: Προμηθεύς) is a Titan, culture hero, and trickster figure who in Greek mythology is credited with the creation of man from clay and the theft of fire for human use, an act that enabled progress [...]
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Quote :
You seem to clearly favor science and scientific progress. But isn't that creation? Isn't that also a form of creating something... Recombining of what is given, yes. But still it's a composition.

No it is not creation. You even state why here.

The present is the continuing manifestation of the past. Phenomena are deterministic. The presentt exists because of the past, which it is the consequence of. A past which is constantly added to as it moves in time.

There is never anything new, in the sense of complete disconnection, there is only mutation of what went before.

Quote :
There we are. Like with the Hannibal Lecter or the Vampires. A species above our own. "Try harder." There is potential within us, but we haven't reached the limit of this potential yet.

Prometheus (Greek: Προμηθεύς) is a Titan, culture hero, and trickster figure who in Greek mythology is credited with the creation of man from clay and the theft of fire for human use, an act that enabled progress [...]

Is there anything more nihilistic than the hope for the coming utopia?

Again, this movie has nothing to say about reality as it is. It is all fantasy - Idealism.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:10 pm

apaosha wrote:

Is there anything more nihilistic than the hope for the coming utopia?

I don't think progress (the "try harder" of our maker in the movie) would necessarily be tied to a utopia. It is at least partly tied to the wish to self-improve.

Quote :

Again, this movie has nothing to say about reality as it is. It is all fantasy - Idealism.

Yes, and I claim that fantasy and idealism are immensely important. Prometheus is a pagan movie. And there are very little of its kind. Today the genre label fantasy is the only place paganism can still be discussed. This label unfortunately also belittles the real true meaning of Paganism for the ancient man, his psyche and spiritual quest in life. The sense and meaning it gave his life.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Laconian wrote:
I don't think progress (the "try harder" of our maker in the movie) would necessarily be tied to a utopia. It is at least partly tied to the wish to self-improve.

Remember, I didn't like the film, nor did I watch it to the end. So you will need to give me a sense of what exactly should be strived for in the imperative "try harder".

Try for what? Why? How?

Considering the messenger, and the medium, I think that the answer to those questions is of no interest to me, nor is it likely to be more profound than a judeo-christian/secular-humanist Ideal Man.

In fact, it follows the usual narrative that humanity or the world as it is is flawed and must be improved or, more properly, corrected to conform with how some fucktard thinks it ought to be.... thereby exposing his own nihilistic dissatisfaction with existence, his hatred of reality and his refusal or inability to adapt himself to it.

Quote :
Yes, and I claim that fantasy and idealism are immensely important. Prometheus is a pagan movie. And there are very little of its kind. Today the genre label fantasy is the only place paganism can still be discussed. This label unfortunately also belittles the real true meaning of Paganism for the ancient man, his psyche and spiritual quest in life. The sense and meaning it gave his life.

How is it Pagan? What are you even talking about?
Being named after a greek titan does not make the movie pagan.

Pagan, at least in the way it used in this forum, by Satyr, is the reverence for the real rather than the transcendent, the divine, the removed-from-reality unreality of the supernatural. Pagan gods were human anthropomorphizations of natural processes. Mortal and capable of being usurped and overthrown. Fallible.
Judeo-christian monotheism on the other hand is characterized by the absolute, the perfect, unsurpassable, before which humanity can only submit. An unreal, distant, unreachable phenomena not tied to worldliness, but to a sterile otherworldliness completely divorced from this one.... which plays into nihilism because it offers the escape from "flawed" reality into the perfection of the "transcendant".

I told you I saw nothing in the way of the scientific method on display from those 2 scientists. They had faith that there were ancient aliens... there was no reverance for the real. Instead, there was a reverance for the coming, hoped for realisation of their dreams.

Then they go on a pilgrimage to the holy land to commune with God. Hardly pagan.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 am

Yes. I think you should watch the second half of the movie as well to understand my post. It is a pagan movie, based on the greek myth of Prometheus (not just by its name). Not judeo-christian. But this all becomes evident in the second half of the movie.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 am

Prometheus, who stole fire from the Gods (the masters) and gave it to Humanity (the slaves), empowering them. Freeing them, maybe?

Very charitable. Very .... christian.

I suppose the scientists in the movie are bringing back knowledge to earth in order to profit the masses...

Faith and altruism and the creator god in the sky. All is as it should be.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:57 am

apaosha wrote:
Prometheus, who stole fire from the Gods (the masters) and gave it to Humanity (the slaves), empowering them. Freeing them, maybe?

Very charitable. Very .... christian.

He actually challenges the gods.

Quote :

Shroud your heaven, Zeus,
With cloudy vapours,
And do as you will, like the boy
That knocks the heads off thistles,
With oak-trees and mountain-tops;
Now you must leave alone
My Earth for Me,
And my hut, which you did not build,
And my hearth,
The glowing whereof
You envy me.

I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Your majesty
Is barely nourished
By sacrificial offerings
And prayerful exhalations,
And should starve
Were children and beggars not
Fools full of Hope.

When I was a child,
And did not know the in or out,
I turned my wandering eyes toward
The sun, as if, beyond, there were
An ear to hear my lament,
A heart, like mine,
To be moved to pity for the afflicted.

Who helped me
Against the pride of the Titans?
Who delivered me from Death,
From Slavery?
Did you not accomplish it all yourself,
My holy, burning Heart?
And shone, young and good,
Deceived, your thanks for salvation
To the sleeping one above?

Should I honour you? Why?
Have you softened the sufferings,
Ever, of the burdened?
Have you stilled the tears,
Ever, of the anguished?
Was I not forged as a Man
By almighty Time
And eternal Fate,
My masters and thine?

Do you somehow imagine
That I should hate Life,
Flee to the desert,
Because not every
Flowering dream should bloom?
Here I sit, I form humans
After my own image;
A race, to be like me,
To sorrow, to weep,
To enjoy and delight itself,
And to heed you not at all -
Like me!

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

He is Lucifer, the rebel. No Jesus.

Quote :

I suppose the scientists in the movie are bringing back knowledge to earth in order to profit the masses...

No! And that's what's so great about the movie!

Quote :

Faith and altruism and the creator god in the sky. All is as it should be.

Creators maybe. And that is also contained in the greek Mythology. Call it Pagan or not. I call it Pagan. Because it's no restrictive theism, like Judeo-Christianity.
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 am

Quote :
He actually challenges the gods.

Quote :
Shroud your heaven, Zeus,
With cloudy vapours,
And do as you will, like the boy
That knocks the heads off thistles,
With oak-trees and mountain-tops;
Now you must leave alone
My Earth for Me,
And my hut, which you did not build,
And my hearth,
The glowing whereof
You envy me.

I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Your majesty
Is barely nourished
By sacrificial offerings
And prayerful exhalations,
And should starve
Were children and beggars not
Fools full of Hope.

When I was a child,
And did not know the in or out,
I turned my wandering eyes toward
The sun, as if, beyond, there were
An ear to hear my lament,
A heart, like mine,
To be moved to pity for the afflicted.

Who helped me
Against the pride of the Titans?
Who delivered me from Death,
From Slavery?
Did you not accomplish it all yourself,
My holy, burning Heart?
And shone, young and good,
Deceived, your thanks for salvation
To the sleeping one above?

Should I honour you? Why?
Have you softened the sufferings,
Ever, of the burdened?
Have you stilled the tears,
Ever, of the anguished?
Was I not forged as a Man
By almighty Time
And eternal Fate,
My masters and thine?

Do you somehow imagine
That I should hate Life,
Flee to the desert,
Because not every
Flowering dream should bloom?
Here I sit, I form humans
After my own image;
A race, to be like me,
To sorrow, to weep,
To enjoy and delight itself,
And to heed you not at all -
Like me!

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

He is Lucifer, the rebel. No Jesus.

Yes.... but that's not relevant. You're looking at the surface and not tracing the symbolism back far enough. The gift of fire is an altruistic act, from a greater being to a lesser.

This is a useful parable because it implies that the greater have a duty and an obligation to the lesser. To uplift them, if not to carry them. Useful in terms of inserting value into service towards the other. The modern ideal of personal value through productivity/work/labour towards the community. What has no value to the whole has no value. Quantity over quality.

Liken this to the Matrix where those who are aware are compelled to liberate the unaware. This compulsion is never brought up or questioned, it is simply a given.
The masses must be saved.

Perhaps Prometheus should wonder about the quality of the clay he uses in molding man.

Some can never become men. Most clay is just dirt.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Actually there are similarities between Jesus and Lucifer as well. The Lightbringer.

Quote :

Yes.... but that's not relevant. You're looking at the surface and not tracing the symbolism back far enough. The gift of fire is an altruistic act, from a greater being to a lesser.

We don't know yet, as to why they created us. Maybe like a child that builts a sandcastle on the beach, just to see it get destroyed by the flood. For the fun of it. Out of boredom. Because they were capable. ( A line from the movie also. ) For no higher purpose.

Quote :

This is a useful parable because it implies that the greater have a duty and an obligation to the lesser.

I see it more like "mad" scientists in a lab, looking at their experiment and analyzing the outcome. See Goethe's Faust.

Quote :

To uplift them, if not to carry them. Useful in terms of inserting value into service towards the other. The modern ideal of personal value through productivity/work/labour towards the community.

That's how the film starts kind of, and in the end we have three morons doing just that. But one person (the protagonist) does something else and that is heroic and is a metaphysical impulse that stays with me till after the movie.

Quote :

What has no value to the whole has no value.

I see in this last heroic act in the movie, something more egoistical. Something beyond human. Something unique, I've never seen in a movie before, being used to the Hollywood endings.

Quote :

Quantity over quality.

Liken this to the Matrix where those who are aware are compelled to liberate the unaware. This compulsion is never brought up or questioned, it is simply a given.
The masses must be saved.

Not in this movie, they aren't. Maybe that was the reason why Alex Jones hated the movie. I don't remember his rant.

Quote :

Perhaps Prometheus should wonder about the quality of the clay he uses in molding man.

Some can never become men. Most clay is just dirt.

You mean women? Or feminized males? There is always a place for a real hero. If you wish to be one, you create yourself space, where you can live your masculinity. You don't just complain about shrinking spaces. There is still space for the real men. There'll always be enough space for heroes and gods. But it takes balls to become a hero, no matter the clay or dirt, you are made of.

Further above you mentioned your perception of time. It is a very masculine view. The purely linear perception of time. There is the view of a cyclical time, like with the seasons of the year. Which is a more feminine, natural view. Night and day. Morning and evening and so on. Youth, Adulthood, Old Age.... I try to integrate both views and be balanced, in a way that I do let the masculine dominate, but not so far as to push aside the feminine completely.

My Paganism does include the "belief" in gods. The multiple gods of the greek mythology as well as those of the nordic realm and the thousands of kami in Shintoism. Those stories in no way belittle me or make me unfree. On the contrary they empower me, they give me strength and guidance. Not everyone has great parents like Satyr, that can be role models. Mine are atheists. Complete nihilists, who have nothing to believe in, so become consumers and wage slaves. My role models are these pagan gods and mythical heroes. They inspire me and give me courage and don't restrict me like the complete absence of any guidance, like in atheistic materialistic science worship.
If you care, you can watch this. Rupert Sheldrake:

Back to top Go down
Recidivist

Recidivist

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Laconian wrote:
It is a pagan movie, based on the greek myth of Prometheus (not just by its name). Not judeo-christian. But this all becomes evident in the second half of the movie.
I didn't get that at all.

The main character or heroine is a devout Christian, whose faith gets stronger towards the end of the film. This was one of the big disappointments for me.

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm

She wears a cross, yes. She is a Christian until the end. The whole journey is a challenge to her belief. That she does believe in whatever god, makes her take the choice she takes in the end. It is a pagan movie with Christian, Humanist, Nihilist, Modern Characters. The movie is pagan, not the characters.

The Edda wasn't written until long after the beginning of Christianity. The Nordics kept their Pagan Gods, even when Christianity was around.

But you're asking an important question here... Why did Christianity ever become so powerful? Why did it spread and extinguish so many Pagan tribes... Why did so many people convert?

Her motive in the end is unclear to me (to me it is a heroic choice, an elitist choice leaving the human herd behind). She must've felt like on some kind of acid trip by then, but again it is the movie that is pagan, not the characters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Op... op op op op opper Gangnam Style..

This cheesy tune sung by a small feminine looking oriental man, became a global phenomenon & topped the music charts worldwide..We've gone from Beethoven and Mozart to "Psy" in a little less than half of a millennium.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 am

Game of Thrones Season 3

Trailer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

This is a great scene from my favorite fantasy story. Berserk. The third movie is coming out. But the series was better. The psychological portrayal of the characters inner struggles by far exceeds even Lord of the Rings or any other great fantasy you can think of.

Griffith speech
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Quote :
Shadows on the Wall of the Cave

So the French philosopher Alain Badiou is apparently writing a movie about Plato (via @jamespoulos). The script will be in English. But Badiou claims that he won’t include a single word that’s not in Plato’s dialogues. In addition to bringing a ripping yarn to the cinemas, TVs, and laptops of the world, Badiou thinks it would be subversive to disseminate the teachings of Plato, “the symbol of universal wisdom”, by means of the “propaganda machine of American life, the capital of capitalist corruption: Hollywood!”.

I can’t believe that Badiou is serious (I feel the same way about his philosophical writings). Nevertheless, I hope that he succeeds. The Platonic dialogues were often performed as dinnertime entertainment in the Hellenistic period. Although it might not please scholars, there’s historical precedent for a film.

But I have quibbles about Badiou’s dream cast, which would include Brad Pitt as Plato and Sean Connery as Socrates. For one thing, Plato doesn’t appear in any of the dialogues. So Pitt would presumably be limited to a silent role. He might have more opportunity to display his talents as Alcibiades.

More seriously, Sean Connery, is much too good looking to play a man whose bulging eyes and pug nose were the object of mockery to his contemporaries. How about Wallace Shawn? Or Paul Giamatti?

Apart from the stars, a film about Socrates would offer wonderful roles to character actors. Who would play the loyal Crito? The dim Euthyphron? The spirited Thrasymachus? Are there any figure from the dialogues you’d particularly like to see on screen? Personally, I’d love to see a cameo appearance by Aristophanes, who was the first to see the crowd-pleasing potential in all this nonsense about philosophy.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Empty

Back to top Go down

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next