Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Ego Death - Epiphanies.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Ego Death - Epiphanies.  Empty
PostSubject: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Another somewhat personal topic, so be forewarned...

I've had a major 180 in regards to my personal philosophy and world-view. Before, I rambled about ' might is right ' and so on, but now all that is changed. I don't, really, care about becoming super rich, fast cars, partying all the time, materialistic-degenerate nonsense. That whole life-style seems empty to me now. Life is too precious to waste it on trivialities.

I used to shun the concepts of love, compassion, altruism, etc - deeming them womanly vices. But now I don't see them as such. I think they play a very important and meaningful part in life. And now I strongly feel I will center my life around being more loving and compassionate.

Have I gone 'soft'? I guess someone might interpret my change of mentality as such. But I don't care, really.
I wasn't even going to make a posting on this, but this place is called " Know Thyself ", and I feel like there are some philosophical elements that can be elaborated on in this, so I will continue.

I've spent a lot of time in silent contemplation ever since I discovered the cancer. The reality of death has forced me into a unique position of hyper-awareness. I feel like I have been washed in a wisdom that only the old have experienced. Spiritually, I feel matured.

I had the thought and feeling recently that I would like to help out young, orphaned children. Something about it seems very noble and meaningful. It's a genuine desire to alleviate their suffering, to bring happiness and hope to their lives. I'm good with kids, so I think it would be a successful endeavor. I was thinking about going abroad to do this, but I could do it locally too - as long as I make a difference in some child's life, that's what matters.

Am I a secular-humanist? No, I don't think so. I still feel morality, ' good and evil ' are contrived. But I'm going to be more of a conventionally so called " good person " because it's what my heart genuinely desires.

I'm, definitely, changed forever and for the better. I feel happier too as I'm not stressing over unrealistic, materialistic desires. I will be content to live a simple, minimalistic life-style akin to a hermit. As long as I am near to my loved ones and helping people out, I will be content and feel I am making a lasting difference in the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Heart warming.
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Presuming that is you in your avatar photo, and also presuming the child in your photo is your own, would having a child recently impact your thoughts in such a way as you describe?

Becoming a father of children most expectedly will change the perspective of a man to that of a guardian.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 3:35 pm

That's an image of my cousin and I. I thought it to be appropriate to how I am feeling currently.

Aeon wrote: "Becoming a father of children most expectedly will change the perspective of a man to that of a guardian."

Yes - I imagine so. I have a strong desire to become a father in the near future too - I've had that desire for many years. I feel like I am more mature and responsible now to be able to be a good one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Don't rush it Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:11 pm

I won't; I wan't to find a mate who is a real woman through and through, in touch with her femininity - which might prove to be a difficult endeavor in the current degenerate culture I live in...

Last edited by Primal Rage on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Go ahead and rush it, one woman is as good as the next. Women are unexceptional, boring, stupid creatures. Any twat will do.

I've yet to meet this mythical "strong, independent, intelligent" woman. They simply don't exist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't base a woman's worth off her intellectual capabilities, per say. I base her worth off her reproductive values and motherly instincts. For me, if a woman is physically healthy and of a real feminine disposition, she makes for a potential mate. I don't want the mother of my child to be some raunchy, degenerate whore of a woman. Sure, it's nice to have a female who can share in your intellectual interests too, but it's not a requirement...not for me anyways. That's what friends are for.

I believe there are genuine intellectual females too, e.g., Lyssa. Not as many as males, but the male brain is more inclined for intellectualism, so one has to remember not to resent the female population for what it is in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:00 pm

To each his own, whatever floats your boat.

However Lyssa is not "intelligent" unless you count copy and pasting lots of irrelevant information as intelligence? Lyssa has shown no signs of brilliance, individuality, common sense, sense, curiosity, wonderment, artistry, or really any other traits that I would assign to thinkers.

Most on this website are thinkers, are male, are creative, but no females around here are.

I'll end my point here, since there's no real use arguing this further, plus to go off topic from your point.

Good luck if you wish to seek intelligence behind a twat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Aeon wrote: "Good luck if you wish to seek intelligence behind a twat."

That was my initial impression of Lyssa, but she has grown on me. Maybe in time you will see her differently.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Primal Rage wrote:
I had the thought and feeling recently that I would like to help out young, orphaned children.

Quote :
I'm going to be more of a conventionally so called " good person " because it's what my heart genuinely desires.

Quote :
Have I gone 'soft'?

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Something about those quotes you'd like to comment on, Perpetual?
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:14 pm

I think I said enough.

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 pm

You didn't say anything at all, actually.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

You sound ridiculous, whether it's sincere or not.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:30 pm

perpetualburn wrote:
You sound ridiculous, whether it's sincere or not.

Hey, thanks Very Happy Nice to hear from you too, buddy.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Primal Rage wrote:

Ego death?

From brutal selfishness to Xt. altruism?

And Nietzsche said,

"Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions."

How true.

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:

Ego death?

And Nietzsche said,

"Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions."

How true.

I wouldn't call it Christian-altruism, but rather pure humanitarianism. And yes, ' Ego-Death ' as much of my philosophy is changed.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Did you receive a lot of psychological support from Churches and Bibles? Doesn't second birth feel miraculous?...

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Did you receive a lot of psychological support from Churches and Bibles? Doesn't second birth feel miraculous?...

No, not really. I did have some family members come into the hospital to visit me who happened to be Christians, but they only briefly mentioned religion. I can, honestly, say that my change of character has, really, nothing to do with Christian influences. I can't, really, articulate it entirely, but with the hyper-awareness I experienced due to the fear of impending death, I sort of had a penetrating look at what my nature and desires, truly, are: benevolent.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:27 pm

What is the root of benevolence?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Lyssa wrote:
What is the root of benevolence?

LOVE

I know, I know....sounds cliché.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 pm

What is love?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Lyssa wrote:
What is love?

Some might say it is a mere coping mechanism intended to alleviate fear ( I Think Satyr said something like this to Joe Schmoe...). But that seems to apply more to a sort of sexual-encounter, i.e., eros. The sort of love I have is platonic. What is this love then? I suppose it's just a natural overflowing of good intentions. What do you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm

You're very impulse driven. I'm not saying its bad per se or change, we never really do change, just steer it.
Like I've always been a very deep thinker, contemplating links between possible causal chains. Most of the time not even to do with any action in the present, although at the same time especially to do with action in the present or near present, emoting etc. Which in totality sends off a feeling of something vaguely hollow, it is something to work on. In and of itself not a bad thing, sometimes neccesary, but becomes mostly dealt with through either apathy or risk-taking. But yours would be something totally different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 7:55 pm

There Will Be Blood wrote:
You're very impulse driven. I'm not saying its bad per se or change, we never really do change, just steer it.
Like I've always been a very deep thinker, contemplating links between possible causal chains. Most of the time not even to do with any action in the present, although at the same time especially to do with action in the present or near present, emoting etc. Which in totality sends off a feeling of something vaguely hollow, it is something to work on. In and of itself not a bad thing, sometimes neccesary, but becomes mostly dealt with through either apathy or risk-taking. But yours would be something totally different.

I get it from my mother.

I bet you think I'm turning into a " Joe Schmoe fuck " or rather that my nature already is that of a " Joe Schmoe fuck ".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Nah, he's extremley fucked up and annoying. I'm sure I'd like you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:

Ego death?

And Nietzsche said,

How true.

Is there anyway to avoid the pendulum swinging from end to end a few times before it settles? (Asking in sincerity.)
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm

A humanist exposes herself.

Why do you "love" humanity? What do you deem "human"? And what is "inhuman"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Æon wrote:
A humanist exposes herself.

Why do you "love" humanity?  What do you deem "human"?  And what is "inhuman"?

Is that intended for Lyssa or myself? I'm going to assume it's aimed at me as Lyssa never mentioned anything about her supposed love for humanity in any shape or form.

I'm not sure if I would state that I love humanity, per say. Yes, I'm of a humanitarian disposition, but to say that I love all humanity is a bit of a stretch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ego Death - Epiphanies. Ego Death - Epiphanies.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ego Death - Epiphanies.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: