Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Memory

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Memory Memory EmptySat 01 Sep 2018, 16:08

Hi, this is more of a technical/practical thing, so I posted here.
Essentially, I'm curious if anybody here knows of any methods of improving long-term and short-term memory. I really have bad working memory and struggle to recall things I was thinking(like specific numbers, so I will recall 10 instead of 100 and then immediately I recognize it's wrong based on the obvious logic) within a span of 2-8 seconds and my long-term memory quality is simply poor, so I remember but often it takes considerable effort to recall specific memories not just intuitive whims of them or I will often misplace memories... Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptySat 01 Sep 2018, 16:46

Memory usually deteriorates with age,
It's also genetic....so look to your parents to find the inheritance.
Other than what you can do nothing about improving memory involves focus, and associating the Emory with other memories, to help you trigger it.As a young man I had good memory, but it has deteriorated over time.
I'm bad with names.
I can forget a name a minute after someone introduces himself to me.
I think it's because names are so generic.
Faces, images, I never forget.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Anfang

Anfang

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptySat 01 Sep 2018, 18:39

Satyr wrote:
I can forget a name a minute after someone introduces himself to me.

Minutes? More like split-seconds.
I've noticed that I don't pay actually attention when there is an introduction.
It's like an introduction is usually a formality, like saying god bless you after somebody sneezes.
In that moment I'm usually so not interested into learning that person's name, I don't even know that person yet, why would I care about what it's called.
But, if at some later stage I want to know what that person's name is and ask said person (which only works if there was no formal introduction) or ask a mutual acquaintance then it's no problem to remember said name, then I actually care.

As for your memory, Polishyouth, what about mindfulness?
Is it also a problem to remember something if you try hard to memorise something at the time of learning about it, is the memory still disappearing so quickly?
Is it a memory fading too quickly issue or a not caring so much about that particular thing at the time?

Last edited by Anfang on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 18:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Æon
Wyrm
Æon

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptySat 01 Sep 2018, 18:42

Memory represents subconscious and unconscious rational processes in any given mind/brain. Everybody is different, by degree. Some people are more capable of remembering large numbers than others. Some people are more capable of learning lots of names. Some people are better at remembering certain colors, but not others. Memory is selective. And selectivity represents the quality and type of mind.

What's worth remembering in a life full of routine and predictability?
Back to top Go down

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptyTue 04 Sep 2018, 20:13

Thanks for the replies, I will write a detailed response on how my own attempts at increasing memory and attention(focus) will go as I will begin trying out different strategies(micro/macro) and will post them in detail here. Anfang, it is that memories fade very quickly and I find them hard to recall accurately(even most basic things, very, very simple really, take often few attempts within a span of an hour+- before I can recall them properly).
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptyWed 05 Sep 2018, 22:40

I've heard that excessive masturbation destroys short-term memory. It also lowers testosterone levels.

When I don't remember certain things in the short-term it's usually because I've not been paying attention to them in the first place. Try to be more mindful of what's going on in the present instead of letting your mind wander.

Anfang

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptyWed 05 Sep 2018, 23:04

It could also be that you have too high expectations of your memory.
I don't remember numbers very well if I haven't repeated them very often.
Everything "technical" gets hazy rather soon as well depending on how often I've recalled a certain thing in the past.
The big picture, the overall concepts I remember but that's probably because in some form or another I use them regularly.
More emotional memories linger longer but even they become hazy over the years, you remember things differently over time.

Some memories remain strong and I think that's when it's something that each time you remember it you are mulling it over because it's still relevant to you being you in that moment. For example, something that says something about you that you are usually not conscious about yourself, something you always forget about yourself or something you don't want to be true.
Back to top Go down

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory EmptyThu 06 Sep 2018, 16:29

Can you link me some studies on masturbation effects out of curiosity( Laughing ), I also heard of a number of mental/emotional issues associated with masturbation?
anfang@ that has been my experience too, a memory, say how a pedal in the water works in terms of allowing you to move the kayak etc. takes a while to become consolidated and from then on I can recall it perfectly without an issue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Memory Empty

Back to top Go down

Memory
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1