Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage

Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Henry Quirk wrote:
You keep referin' to a 'closed' system or society where there is none.
Specimen can't...
Henry Quirk wrote:

can't distinguish the reality of it from the fiction

Henry Quirk wrote:

The 'cage' you keep seein' is, perhaps, inside your own head.

Here's the cage inside the specimens head, that it is projecting onto other:

Henry Quirk wrote:

Problem with all this 'Group/Gang/State/Cult/System' crap is it's always been here and always will be here.

There's no escaping it; there's only navigating it.

Henry Quirk wrote:

As for 'self-possession': if you can't distinguish the reality of it from the fiction of freedom, then I got no clue what to tell you.

I leave you to your self-imposed constraints.

Another projection.
Back to top Go down
Henry Quirk

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Well, I tried...a piss poor effort on my part, but an effort nonetheless...*shrug*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Henry Quirk wrote:
Well, I tried...a piss poor effort on my part, but an effort nonetheless...*shrug*

Gluttony did try. But alas...

At least there's this material on a specimen, as some sort of reward.
Firstly, there's almost no relation to the original question at this point, that was:
Henry Quirk wrote:
Freedom from what? From who?
Answer given to it:
Gluttony wrote:
From influence of a Group/Gang/State/Cult/System.
The context can be found if the all three posts are red in succession.
11:11 AM, 1:38 PM & 2:07 PM (September 21st).

In its first post, specimen already made an absolute statement:
Henry Quirk wrote:
Freedom: just another carrot many are set to chasing, never to catch.
Still lacking enough context to be certain, it hints of a lack of freedom that specimen feels in his life.

Later it is reinforcing with:
Henry Quirk wrote:

Problem with all this 'Group/Gang/State/Cult/System' crap is it's always been here and always will be here.

Then later admitting it:
Henry Quirk wrote:

"feeling of helplessness"

A little constipated, yes.

Helpless, no.

There are other things worth taking a notice, like:
Henry Quirk wrote:
What you see as 'personal freedoms' I see as simply doin' (or, attempting to do) what a body wills.

It starts describing himself, the way it sees himself inside its head, the perceived imaginary self, created while rejecting reality what it admits while projecting:
Henry Quirk wrote:
As for 'self-possession': if you can't distinguish the reality of it from the fiction of freedom, then I got no clue what to tell you.
Henry Quirk wrote:

The 'cage' you keep seein' is, perhaps, inside your own head.
Henry Quirk wrote:

There's more description of specimens perceived imaginary-self, but the taste inside Gluttony's mouth is bad enough already, to chew through more.

Last edited by Gluttony on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Gluttony wrote:

Even if one is the best monkey in the whole rain forest, it is still a monkey in the same damn forest every other monkey lives in, making the same monkey noises, while scratching the same monkey ass with a little bit more dexterity than other monkeys.

Overcoming does not mean absolute severance, but mastery over it.

J.-Xt. is what denaturalized man by severing his historical evolution and relation with the animal as the abs. other.
Freedom in the Nietzschean sense is an evaluation of a freedom-for, than a freedom-from - which is the slave's perspective.

Quote :
"A final fundamental distinction: the desire for freedom, the instinct for happiness, and subtleties in the feeling of freedom necessarily belong to slave morals and morality, just as an artistry and enthusiasm in respect and devotion are invariant symptoms of an aristocratic mode of thinking and valuing." [Nietzsche, BGE, 260]

Quote :
"My conception of freedom. — The value of a thing sometimes does not lie in that which one attains by it, but in what one pays for it — what it costs us. I shall give an example. Liberal institutions cease to be liberal as soon as they are attained: later on, there are no worse and no more thorough injurers of freedom than liberal institutions. Their effects are known well enough: they undermine the will to power; they level mountain and valley, and call that morality; they make men small, cowardly, and hedonistic — every time it is the herd animal that triumphs with them. Liberalism: in other words, herd-animalization.

These same institutions produce quite different effects while they are still being fought for; then they really promote freedom in a powerful way. On closer inspection it is war that produces these effects, the war for liberal institutions, which, as a war, permits illiberal instincts to continue. And war educates for freedom. For what is freedom? That one has the will to assume responsibility for oneself. That one maintains the distance which separates us. That one becomes more indifferent to difficulties, hardships, privation, even to life itself. That one is prepared to sacrifice human beings for one’s cause, not excluding oneself. Freedom means that the manly instincts which delight in war and victory dominate over other instincts, for example, over those of “pleasure.” The human being who has become free — and how much more the spirit who has become free — spits on the contemptible type of well-being dreamed of by shopkeepers, Christians, cows, females, Englishmen, and other democrats. The free man is a warrior.

How is freedom measured in individuals and peoples? According to the resistance which must be overcome, according to the exertion required, to remain on top. The highest type of free men should be sought where the highest resistance is constantly overcome: five steps from tyranny, close to the threshold of the danger of servitude. This is true psychologically if by “tyrants” are meant inexorable and fearful instincts that provoke the maximum of authority and discipline against themselves; most beautiful type: Julius Caesar. This is true politically too; one need only go through history. The peoples who had some value, attained some value, never attained it under liberal institutions: it was great danger that made something of them that merits respect. Danger alone acquaints us with our own resources, our virtues, our armor and weapons, our spirit, and forces us to be strong. First principle: one must need to be strong — otherwise one will never become strong.

Those large hothouses for the strong — for the strongest kind of human being that has so far been known — the aristocratic commonwealths of the type of Rome or Venice, understood freedom exactly in the sense in which I understand it: as something one has or does not have, something one wants, something one conquers." [N., TOI, 38]

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Henry Quirk

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am

"specimen"

Assess me as you like...pretty sure I won't be losin' any sleep over it.

#

"the taste inside Gluttony's mouth is bad enough "

I suggest: mouthwash.

##

"Overcoming does not mean absolute severance, but mastery over it."

Yep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:53 am

Henry Quirk wrote:
"specimen"

Assess me as you like...pretty sure I won't be losin' any sleep over it.

Yes you will. Again.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Isn't Glutto the one who knows Bob, the speaker of his state's house on a first name basis?
Anyway, he probably just had too much appetite for his own good.

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

In nature things are cyclical, never the same but similar.
This destruction cannot be evaded.
All individuals choose whether to resist or to embrace this destruction.
Usually, not everything perishes in the same moment.
When enough has been destroyed, those elements which still carry life inside themselves may thrive again.
Back to top Go down
Henry Quirk

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

"Isn't Glutto the one who knows Bob..."

Don't know his bio...do know he was/is a wanna be
Back to top Go down
Henry Quirk

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

"Isn't Glutto the one who knows Bob..."

Don't know his bio...do know he was/is a wanna be
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 2:14 pm

What does the smart liberal elite do? - Talk about evil oppression from behind the walls which guard them against the oppressed.
What does the smart 'Alpha' do? - Talk about those evil PUAs and their dirty tricks while performing his act.
What does the smart woman do? - Talk about those crazy feminists who ruin relationships while just being herself.
Back to top Go down
Henry Quirk

Henry Quirk

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm

'After all, as Sigmund Freud once said, there are times when a man craves a cigar simply because he wants a good smoke.'

That is: a cigar is sometimes just a cigar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Anfang wrote:
Isn't Glutto the one who knows Bob, the speaker of his state's house on a first name basis?
Anyway, he probably just had too much appetite for his own good.

Good memory, anfang.
I have a good memory as well.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't think they're the same.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 6:30 pm

phono wrote:
I don't think they're the same.

After reading a few lines by the Colonel I think there are some differences.
Gluttoby is a terrible company at a party or any other social place or situation for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Sometimes, I meet people who makes me ashamed to be a part of the same species as them, though I feel no guilt about it.
When I tell them what I think of them I might be accused of being abusive, and I will be guilty of this, and yet I will feel no shame.

Last edited by Satyr on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 pm

The gift, that keeps on giving...

Beauty fades, money is lost, but stupidity, once inherited, lasts for a lifetime.

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Some are born a bit simple, a little slow, others are born a bit foolish, a little off...but it is truly a rare find to find someone who is both stupid and crazy.

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Anfang wrote:

Gluttoby is a terrible company at a party or any other social place or situation for that matter.

Gluttony oft pleases a cook.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Quote :
Some use words to reveal, to expose, the illuminate, others use words to conceal, to hide, to cast a shadow.
Those who know the difference find the latter to be the worse kind of human, because the more they conceal the more they reveal, and in their need what is hidden inside of them, even from themselves, shines brightly.

Words are a filter for the quality of one's ability to comprehend. What they reveal is that among the crowd there are those who understand the language, rather than merely speak it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Between meaning meant and meaning understood, vassal appears as lord, and lord appears as vassal.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 pm

The king is checkmated when his queen loses position so you should stop checking your mate between the lies.

If the forum becomes too fun will a serious poster come along to save the discussion or save the fun?

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 4:26 pm

If Nietzsche never published and kept all his writings to himself until the end and decided to burn them all before anyone could see, would this be the highest act of irresponsibility, foolish courage, or the worst kind of divine intervention? Could this ever be considered “living on the edge.” Is the vanity in a choice corrected with the right choice?

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
Stuart-

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:57 am

perpetualburn wrote:
If Nietzsche never published and kept all his writings to himself until the end and decided to burn them all before anyone could see, would this be the highest act of irresponsibility, foolish courage, or the worst kind of divine intervention?

Wouldn't the answer depend upon whom Nietzsche wished to benefit?

And most likely, if in sound mind wouldn't such an act reflect a lack of sophistication upon his writings that weren't there in actuality, being that he did not actually do such a thing before he died?
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Maybe the pride of not wanting to destroy where you can be hurt.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 12:52 pm

So many masterful, history changing pieces of literature just barely make it to us, due to the author's unwillingness to publish, that it makes you wonder how many more never make it to us at all.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm

The power of truth, and an honest description of reality, is so unnerving tot he mind living in ignorance, sheltered from it, that when it comes in contact with any degree of it, and having no other source of strength to help it cope, it turns on the one uncovering it, because it was always right before its eyes but had no eyes to see, and or no heart to accept it as it is.

The one stating the obvious acquires a magical aura, not because he is saying something extraordinary but because he is revealing the ordinary being denied.

perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 5:15 pm

He can hate her for her vanity and say to hell with her if she doesn’t want children and only wants to feed on the shallow mirror offered by the soft light of the media …And she can say he is weak and isn’t some god of lightening that he somehow needs to be to back up any glimpse of passion…and they can keep finding themselves in a look that crosses over a sea of filth only to resign themselves at the hopelessness of new adventure, enjoying the brief acknowledgment of a world gone to hell as they share the one last thing(their physical beauty) that keeps them distinguished from the crowd but without the strength to stand above it, without the fire to burn with new change… But demographics will speak to what could have been and what will be forever be lost… and their indulgent romanticism for the one last great autumn and sunset will also be the last great fall of a beauty that doesn’t have the strength for its own resurrection, that by the great feat of the modern practical concern, is actually afraid to tarnish beauty in fire…everything physical can only feel politics as a mental idea, the great universal flower of historical progress that everyone can’t stop smelling… But you should “care” enough to work between the spaces and out of sight they say, the time will come they say, we have to be careful now they say… the good feeling of the day can’t be breached for a brighter future… the future is now they say, stay calm now for the revealing wisdom of the old age sun they say, we’re just trying to get through the day it’s unnecessary to be reminded of the timeless struggle of an always changing world they say… if you had something important to say you would reach for political office and we would be able to pick out the truth from political correctness they say… true passion finds expression in art and philosophy only they say…your passion can’t accommodate enough of the worlds need and we can now only feel the truth in this need they say… but they keep buying into European love stories and selling themselves short of action, they’re only stories they say…the future will be more beautiful than you can imagine and we can’t give up on the possibility of these future love stories they say …we want and deserve our calm lifetime but this won’t prevent us from raising our voice when someone threatens the tranquility of the day and the relationships that depend on store bought comforters they say… Politics is a waste of time when love is on the line they say (even if she keeps towing the party line)… and why would you part company with your one chance at love, it’s your one chance at life they say… But we’ll keep buying the ancient love stories that tested the boundaries of politics as a part of being cultured but not as a part of acting or living and in this way culture is “edgy” enough to fit in they say… They say all this as the love leaves their eyes…

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Don't kill yourself just yet, wait for spring.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm

phoneutria wrote:
Don't kill yourself just yet, wait for spring.

Do you think about suicide a lot?

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm

This a good time to remind people -
To cure a little depression put some herbal essences into the bath water, for heavier ones, use a hair dryer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Observations and Thoughts too short for their own threads - 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next