Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

potpourri

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Anfang

Anfang

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 am

WendyDarling wrote:
Been trying out different, more economical, electric ways of heating my place, currently testing 150W radiant heating elements.

A heat pump, obviously. Depending on the climate zone (no harsh winters), it doesn't have to be the under-ground variant (more expensive).
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2022 10:26 pm

Anfang wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:
Been trying out different, more economical, electric ways of heating my place, currently testing 150W radiant heating elements.

A heat pump, obviously. Depending on the climate zone (no harsh winters), it doesn't have to be the under-ground variant (more expensive).

Winter temperatures here range from freezing to -29F.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 6:51 am

I mean you can go Japanese Kotatsu and electrically heat the air under your table. That's very economical if you go electric.

Or if you want to heat the whole house you invest a lot of money into a heat-pump with underground heat-exchanger + good thermal insulation of your house. All else is pretty expensive if you want to go electric.

All else won't save on your electric bill. Either go heat-pump or limit the space you heat.

Alternative idea: find some handsome lumberjack and heat your house with wood, depending on whether there is a lot of wood around your place.

Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 3:46 pm

Anfang wrote:
I mean you can go Japanese Kotatsu and electrically heat the air under your table. That's very economical if you go electric.

Or if you want to heat the whole house you invest a lot of money into a heat-pump with underground heat-exchanger + good thermal insulation of your house. All else is pretty expensive if you want to go electric.

All else won't save on your electric bill. Either go heat-pump or limit the space you heat.

Alternative idea: find some handsome lumberjack and heat your house with wood, depending on whether there is a lot of wood around your place.

Currently, I’m renting an older duplex with ancient, electricity-sucking, baseboard heaters. Unable to install a hunky lumberjack to man his fireplace.

Usually I only turn on the kitchen baseboard heater to cover the main living area, with both bedroom doors closed during the day.

My solar set up will be able to handle 4000W Continuous- 7000W Max.(if there is a compressor to kick on). Hope is to forego any kind of compressor, thus radiant heat.

Currently(intending a weak pun) experimenting on how to minimize my heating expense, transferring the burden of it(shooting for 600W per hr.)onto my solar array.

Not very familiar with heat pumps. Upon Googling, Split heating/cooling systems came up. Nothing about underground heat exchangers? Been considering buying a house in which I can be as energy, water, and food independent as possible.

The Japanese Kotatsu is a new one to me. Have you tried one? What is the interior temp. outside the blanket tent?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 4:55 pm

Haven't tried a Kotatsu myself but I know that they are very, very common in Japan....which is a pretty cold place in the winter. I think it would come with an adjustable thermostat. Outside the blanket it will be pretty cold, that's the point of the Kotatsu, to not heat the whole house but only the air under the blanket.

Geothermal heat-pump is apparently the common term in English speaking countries.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 5:16 pm

Anfang wrote:
Haven't tried a Kotatsu myself but I know that they are very, very common in Japan....which is a pretty cold place in the winter. I think it would come with an adjustable thermostat. Outside the blanket it will be pretty cold, that's the point of the Kotatsu, to not heat the whole house but only the air under the blanket.

Geothermal heat-pump is apparently the common term in English speaking countries.

Good info. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Freyja

Freyja

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 16, 2022 9:37 pm

WendyDarling wrote:

Quote :
Not very familiar with heat pumps. Upon Googling, Split heating/cooling systems came up. Nothing about underground heat exchangers? Been considering buying a house in which I can be as energy, water, and food independent as possible.

I have a split system and a Coonara.

Split system is a must for cool, but if you have allergies, it spreads dust throughout.
I only use this system in summer to combat the high temperatures.

Love the Coonara, a wood fire's warmth spreads throughout the house and is far superior to any other heating system, I think.
It is not cheap though, if you have to buy the wood through general suppliers, ie  firewood retailers.
I get my supply from a man who sells firewood cut into lengths to suit woodheaters.  If it is too thick I split it myself.  

Wendy wrote:

Quote :
Currently, I’m renting an older duplex with ancient, electricity-sucking, baseboard heaters.

If you don't own the property why spend money on it?
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 16, 2022 11:49 pm

Freyja wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:

Quote :

I have a split system and a Coonara.

Split system is a must for cool, but if you have allergies, it spreads dust throughout.
I only use this system in summer to combat the high temperatures.

Love the Coonara, a wood fire's warmth spreads throughout the house and is far superior to any other heating system, I think.
It is not cheap though, if you have to buy the wood through general suppliers, ie  firewood retailers.
I get my supply from a man who sells firewood cut into lengths to suit woodheaters.  If it is too thick I split it myself.  

Wendy wrote:

Quote :
Currently, I’m renting an older duplex with ancient, electricity-sucking, baseboard heaters.

If you don't own the property why spend money on it?

Don’t worry, I’m not sinking any money into this rental. Everything I’m working on is transportable, to be used in a purchased property.

Love wood burning stoves(with a window) and a cook top so some type of fireplace would definitely be added to my forever home if there wasn’t, at least, one there already.
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2022 1:17 pm

Here to testify to the effectiveness of a health tip I read somewhere on this forum. The tip was to naturally relieve depression, walk in heavily wooded areas(with composting mud, leaves, etc.), a mixture which produces “a bacteria”(I think) that once inhaled naturally lift’s one’s mood. Best times to be on trails is when the earth and air are damp, when the scents are thick in the air. Most invigorating.
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2022 2:28 pm

This Dad’s Advice Is Amazing!
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Finding a new-to-me, active forum with all walks of people and loads of sub-forums and groups about countless topics will happen. I need more productive interactions without belligerence. I really do want to learn to debate and choose my words more skillfully to express myself fully with richer interactions.

In the meantime, IRL dating will continue(continue to melt my brain).  Razz  Online dating is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Only one zonker so far. And several couples in my family met online and have sealed the deal. Hopefully, many more, myself included.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 8:30 pm

Most of these philosophy forums were really like bars, back in the day.
They still are, a bit.

So, any love connections yet?

You want to "choose my words more skillfully to express myself fully with richer interactions"?
Banter is what you want, with philosophy or some other context.
Back then when things were looser, the most entertaining exchanges were full of insults and clever repartee.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 9:10 pm

Satyr wrote:
Most of these philosophy forums were really like bars, back in the day.
They still are, a bit.

So, any love connections yet?

You want to "choose my words more skillfully to express myself fully with richer interactions"?
Banter is what you want, with philosophy or some other context.
Back then when things were looser, the most entertaining exchanges were full of insults and clever repartee.

Obviously I want some banter, but also to discuss consciousness and its’ role in the nature of existence. I find Spira very interesting. If only I could question him. Steering clear of politics at the next forum. Need a break from that insanity.

No love connections. Had 5 dates in 10 days and so many conversations and phone numbers exchanged that I called the wrong guy(back when I was on three dating sites), it was so embarrassing but the wrong guy didn’t care, he was happy I called at all.

Now I’m only on one site with only a couple conversations going. No more bedlam. Did get to go to an awesome haunted house on one date(haven’t been to one in 20 yrs.) and another took me dancing(he stayed on the floor with me for 1 1/2 hrs. straight…big props to him). Of the 4 men, conversation was super easy with two, but no real chemistry with any.

Currently texting a man who’s vaccinated which implicates him as somewhat special, like helmet wearing special. However, this man is the first to start a conversation and he’s fairly attractive but usually, I swipe left on all the vaccinated, the libtarded, the cat lovers, the fugly, and those who refuse to smile.

If I had a love connection, I’d be spending my time with them, no technology, out of the house doing activities, then reading to my Sweets at night snuggling in bed. Ah, simple, healthy, good times.
Back to top Go down

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 6:53 pm

How many types of wit are there? Google says 19.

I have only seen 4 flavors though:clean, innocent, sarcastic, and dirty. Have you witnessed any other flavors?

Most people can only produce sarcasm on the fly, the lowest form.

The innocent kind seems to require super skills.

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 6:57 pm

I like sarcasm, the quip, dark humour, puns...
A pun that is a sarcastic, dark, quip is perfect.
Sexual innuendoes always add that extra zing....

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 4:23 pm

“Whatever you want, that’s what we’re going to do. I am here to please,” wrote my date. Wow!
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 5:25 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
“Whatever you want, that’s what we’re going to do. I am here to please,” wrote my date. Wow!
A keeper....

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 9:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Family: Can’t live with’em, without’em, nor can you shoot’em. Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Even if it went against my nature and my better judgement - given the age and its sexual dynamics - I managed to reaffirm life, and it nearly killed me.

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Satyr wrote:
Even if it went against my nature and my better judgement - given the age and its sexual dynamics - I managed to reaffirm life, and it nearly killed me.
How did you reaffirm life? How did it nearly kill you?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 12:57 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
Satyr wrote:
How did you reaffirm life?
When you have a child you reaffirm life.

WendyDarling wrote:
How did it nearly kill you?
Without getting into details, whatever goes against your nature and your better judgement, is stressful.
I am, by nature, Apollonian; this required me to become Dionysian for 2 years.

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Satyr wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:
Satyr wrote:
How did you reaffirm life?
When you have a child you reaffirm life.

WendyDarling wrote:
How did it nearly kill you?
Without getting into details, whatever goes against your nature and your better judgement, is stressful.
I am, by nature, Apollonian; this required me to become Dionysian for 2 years.
I reaffirm life by appreciating it, the wonder of it.

And there’s such wonder in it while awake and asleep since I usually remember my last dream before waking.

A few nights ago, I dreamed about you. You, sitting in the open cockpit of a mechanical bug vehicle 12’ tall, drove up to where I and others were standing, congregating.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 1:35 pm

You reaffirm life by reaffirming your own, and what is ariston, worth propagating.
Sometimes self-love conceals self-hatred - self-imposed blindness, because love is always blind.

How can you "dream about me" when you've never seen me nor know much about me?
You dreamt of the feelings, imagery, sensations, I evoke in you on-line.
So, you dreamt of the idea of me.

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Satyr wrote:
You reaffirm life by reaffirming your own, and what is ariston, worth propagating.
Sometimes self-love conceals self-hatred - self-imposed blindness, because love is always blind.

How can you "dream about me" when you've never seen me nor know much about me?
You dreamt of the feelings, imagery, sensations, I evoke in you on-line.
So, you dreamt of the idea of me.
I like myself, definitely not love myself. Until I learn forgiveness, unconditional love remains out of reach. I know you think all love is conditional, but I’m not sure that I believe that. Is all forgiveness conditional too?

So tit-for-tat and assumptions are two more things I am struggling to overcome. For me, that’s my pettiness. Frowned upon offenses in which I regularly partake.

Propagating goodwill, kindness, interest in others’ well-beings, retaining the ability to inspire children and an occasional adult, heavily taxing my imagination with all kinds of ideas is easily my calling, but I cannot force what I want to happen, only what I need happens. 

Crazy how life is never boring, only we are boring, so I try not to bore myself. 

True, I didn’t see you clearly, but I knew it was you, your energy. Almost felt like a revolutionary gathering, the dream. 

Sometime around 2011, there was a black and white headshot circulating of a man in his 40’s, wavy, dark brown hair that was slightly unkempt, not smiling, kind of intense stare, narrow nose at the top but wider than average at the bottom, advertised on ILP as you. Was that infamous pic you?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Nope.

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 2:57 pm

Satyr wrote:
Nope.
Okay. Moving along. Is all forgiveness conditional too?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 2:58 pm

Yes.
Everything is.

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Will you name some conditions I may be putting on myself as reasons I am not forgiving myself?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Your values, determined by your conscious objective.
All hold themselves accountable before their conscious objectives.

Some hold themselves accountable in relation to another's or a collective's objectives...or their ancestors, or their family, or their group's objectives, what is popular.

Sponsored content

potpourri - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: potpourri potpourri - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

potpourri
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: