Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:38 am

Lyssa wrote:
Applies most to cAnus here…

Zizek wrote:
"The modern atheist thinks he knows that God is dead; what he doesn’t know is that, unconsciously, he continues to believe in God. What characterizes modernity is no longer the standard figure of the believer who secretly harbors intimate doubts about his belief and engages in transgressive fantasies. What we have today is a subject who presents himself as a tolerant hedonist dedicated to the pursuit of happiness, but whose unconscious is the site of prohibitions—what is repressed are not illicit desires or pleasures, but prohibitions themselves. "If God doesn’t exist, then everything is prohibited” means that the more you perceive yourself as an atheist, the more your unconscious is dominated by prohibitions which sabotage your enjoyment." [God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse]

Missed the link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:26 pm

David Foster Wallace wrote:
that only we feel the panic at sunset the rookie kindergartner feels at his mother's retreat

Quote :
Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it

Quote :
The sun like a sneaky keyhole view of hell

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 am

Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 6:55 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:15 pm

OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:53 pm

''We are not for peace but for triumph of truth''.

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:54 pm

"The next battle hymn of the Ukrainian nationalists will be born in a battlefield, not in a music hall..."

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:55 pm

"It is much to be feared that the last word of democracy thus understood (and let me hasten to add that it is susceptible of a different interpretation) would be a form of society in which a degenerate mass would have no thought beyond that of enjoying the ignoble pleasures of the vulgar."

-Benito Mussolini

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:56 pm

"Capitalism shares a major portion of the blame for the rising interracial tensions and rising social disruptions both in America and Western Europe. It is in the interest of big business in Europe and the USA to import the army of cheap labor into Europe and America. As a result local capitalists cut down the wages of their own domestic workers and outsource national wealth to far away countries. Moreover, most immigrant workers, having lower IQ and little interest in historical or racial consciousness of their host countries, can better be manipulated than local workers by the new capitalist and global class. An American contractor, or German stockbroker or an French shareholder of a company in East Europe, could not care less where his home is, and what the racial or ethnic profile of his workers is — as long as he makes profit. We should not feign surprise. The founding father of capitalism, Adam Smith wrote long time ago: “The merchant is not necessarily the citizen of any country.”

Big business and international financial lobbies possess all necessary means to be listened to, either by their governments or by the Commission in Brussels, and are, generally speaking, both in favor of immigration and Europe’s enlargement. Enlargement of the EU facilitates the migration of cheap labor.

Furthermore, immigration is in full accordance with the very spirit of capitalism, which aims at the erasure of borders (“laissez faire, laissez passer “). “The flip side of foreign immigration is price dumping, “low cost” labor market and “low-skilled” workers who function as “jack of all trades not just in the service sector but also in sectors previously reserved for the locals . It should not come as a surprise that there is an emerging Holy Alliance between the capitalist Merchant and the leftist Commissar, between Big Business and the Left. The Left favors mass immigration because immigrants, in its eyes, represent now the substitute symbol of the failed old Marxian proletariat.

If we look at the profile of all European politicians in Brussels but also of those sitting in the White House we can observe that all of them are former either implicit or explicit sympathizers of Marxism who have now recycled themselves into advocates of free market, while retaining their Marxist lifestyles and their leftist mores in other fields of human endeavor, such as culture.

My first conclusion is: If we were to solve successfully non- European immigration and its consequences resulting in hatred and civil wars, we must first demystify the capitalist mystique. Foreign immigration will stop as soon as immigrants realized that permanent economic progress is just another illusion. I will not now talk about the need for state protectionism and the removal of the economy of usury and the fight against interest slavery’ which constitute the main pillars of the System. It is a typical mindset among Liberal free marketers, just like among former communists to argue that there are no alternatives to their systems. Yes there are alternatives, such as Distributism, The nationalization of the banking sectors, etc.

But let us be honest. Christianity is a Universalist religion just like the global gospel of global capitalism. When one listens to Catholic cardinal O’Malley who claims that immigrants are the future of the Church, one does not need to read Marx or listen to the Leftist advocates of multiculturalism.

In conclusion let me state the following:

We must discard the ideology of progress which is inherent to both capitalism and communism. When one wishes to have more goods, one will never have enough of it. That is the reason why ancient European religions continuously warned against the passion for money: Such as in the Gullweig myth in the Norse mythology, or in the old Greek The Myth of Midas. All these were the consequences of the lust for money (the “Rheingold Curse“).

-Tomislav Sunic

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm

"Some men are morally opposed to violence.
Hypocritical way, they are protected by men who are not.
Violence per si, is not condemnable; violence can be morally justified.
Abdication of use violence, is also the abdication to survive, or to live free."

-Radical Nationalism

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 4:40 pm

"Pure intellect, indeed, detachment from soul, is the death of Man. Intellect, self-confident and isolated in arrogant complacency, does not ennoble Man. It humiliates him, deprives him of his personality. It kills that loving participation in the life of things and creatures of which the soul, with its emotions and institutions, is capable. Intellect, by itself alone, is dead and also deadly - a principle of disintegration."

-Giuseppe Tucci

The reader of mere books.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 7:49 pm

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 pm

ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗ ΚΙΤΣΙΚΗ wrote:
The westerners, the Latins, took the Greek word orthologismos [ορθολογισμος] and translated it as rationalism, which is a commercial term, and does not mean the same thing. They lacked the proper word for it.

This reminds me of Heidegger's analysis of the Greek word aletheia [αληθεια], using the Latin veritas, later converted to the English "truth", and in the translation the concept changed meaning.
Modern academics believe they understand Hellenic thought when all they know is how it came to them through the Romans.
Nuances lost, plague us today.

perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 1:10 pm

"She was saved from prettiness by the intensity of her gaze." -Paul Bowles

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Benjamin wrote:
"The destructive character lives from the feeling, not that life is worth living, but that suicide is not worth the trouble."

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 5:35 pm

perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 8:36 pm

David Wallace wrote:
In a way, what Tarantino has done with the French New Wave and with David Lynch is what Pat Boone did with rhythm and blues: He's found (ingeniously) a way to take what is ragged and distinctive and menacing about their work and homogenize it, churn it until it's smooth and cool and hygienic enough for mass consumption. Reservoir Dogs, for example, with its comically banal lunch chatter, creepily otiose code names, and intrusive soundtrack of campy pop from decades past, is a Lynch movie made commercial, i.e., fast, linear, and with what was idiosyncratically surreal now made fashionably (i.e., "hiply") surreal [...] D. Lynch is an exponentially better filmmaker than Q. Tarantino. For, unlike Tarantino, D. Lynch knows that an act of violence in an American film has, through repetition and desensitization, lost the ability to refer to anything but itself. A better way to put what I just tried to say: Quentin Tarantino is interested in watching somebody's ear getting cut off; David Lynch is interested in the ear.

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 6:25 am

When playing Rome - Total War they always displayed aphorisms and proverbs from antiquity about war during the loading screen. At the time I had no idea who he was but I found the ones from Thucydides to be among the best.

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."*

"The strong did what they could, and the weak suffered what they must."

"Self-control is the chief element in self respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage."

- Thucydides

*Haha
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 11:24 am

It is a bad plan that cannot be altered.
Pardon one offence and you encourage the commission of many.
We should provide in peace what we need in war.
The cruelty of war makes for peace.
Necessity knows no law except to conquer.
He is best secure from dangers who is on his guard even when he seems safe.

-  Publilius Syrus
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Francois de La Rochefoucauld:

“Nobody deserves to be praised for goodness unless he is strong enough to be bad, for any other goodness is usually merely inertia or lack of will-power.”

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
mannequin

mannequin

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Quote :
What is the Meaning of Infancy? What is
the meaning of the fact that man is bom
into the world more helpless than any
other creature, and needs for a much
longer season than any other living thing
the tender care and wise counsel of his
elders? [John Fiske, 1883/1909,
Back to top Go down
Ethos

Ethos

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Adam Smith wrote:
This division of labour, from which so many advantages are derived, is not originally the effect of any human wisdom, which foresees and intends that general opulence to which it gives occasion. It is the necessary, though very slow and gradual, consequence of a certain propensity in human nature which has in view no such extensive utility; the propensity to truck, barter, and exchange one thing for another.

Whether this propensity be one of those original principles in human nature, of which no further account can be given; or whether, as seems more probable, it be the necessary consequence of the faculties of reason and speech, it belongs not to our present subject to enquire. It is common to all men, and to be found in no other race of animals, which seem to know neither this nor any other species of contracts.[Wealth of Nations, Book 1, Ch. 2]
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Reply by the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV, who asked them to submit to him.

"O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!"

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
apaosha
Daeva
apaosha

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 pm

OhFortunae wrote:
Reply by the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV, who asked them to submit to him.

"O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!"

This inspired a painting:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 1:47 pm

"One must never have pity on those who have lost their vital force. The man who deserves our pity is the soldier at the front, and also the inventor who works honestly amidst the worst difficulties."

"As in everything, nature is the best instructor, even as regards selection. One couldn't imagine a better activity on nature's part than that which consists in deciding the supremacy of one creature over another by means of a constant struggle. While we're on the subject, it's somewhat interesting to observe that our upper classes, who've never bothered about the hundreds of thousands of German emigrants or their poverty, give way to a feeling of compassion regarding the fate of the Jews whom we claim the right to expel.

Our compatriots forget too easily that the Jews have accomplices all over the world, and that no beings have greater powers of resistance as regards adaption to climate. Jews can prosper anywhere, even in Lapland and Siberia. All that love and sympathy, since our ruling class is capable of such sentiments, would by rights be applied exclusively -- if that class were not corrupt -- to the members of our national community." - Adolf

G+ wrote:
If you stripped Lard Ass of his titles, the arrogance of his class, and released him onto the streets of 19th century London by himself, he'd just be another blithering alcoholic degenerate trying to touch schoolchildren.

Hitler raised himself up by his merits and intrinsic abilities. You tell me which is more impressive.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 7:24 am

OhFortunae wrote:

Epic.

In modern times, we invite Muslims to fuck our own mothers and sisters so that we aren't considered racist, Islamophobic, inhumane...
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 11:10 am

It would be good to memorise this prose to truly feel it; now, this too will be a good recitation for YouTube.

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 am

D. C. WILLIAMS - THE MYTH OF PASSAGE wrote:
Time flows or flies or marches, years roll, hours pass. We may speak as if the perceiving mind were stationary while time flows by like a river ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes. - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Quotes, Excerpts, Anecdotes.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next