Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Cinematic Masterpieces

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Quote :
But there is another, more explicit image of
antidigestive expulsion to consider. In the early
sequence in which Adam Kesher is confronted by
the Castigliane Brothers in the studio conference
room, one of the mobsters (played by Lynch’s
composer Angelo Badalamenti) requests and is
served, albeit with great trepidation, a cup of
what one of the studio suits calls ‘‘the finest
espresso in the world.’’ Everyone in the room
seems apprehensive, even terrified, about
whether or not the mobster will like the pull. In
fact, he not only does not care for it but spits it
out into a napkin and then bellows ‘‘is shit!’’ To
emphasize the note of excorporation, his brother
(Dan Hedaya) simultaneously blows his nose into
a handkerchief. There are a few more verbal
exchanges, and then the nose-blower gives Adam
the alienating message: ‘‘it’s no longer your
film

With its mix of rectal, nasal, buccal, verbal,
and filmic dispossession, this sequence alludes
hugely to abjection. But it also effects displacement,
as I promised, as well as condensation...

But what do we see – or more importantly,
what does Diane see – just before this enraging
kiss? We get a point-of-view shot in which Diane
stares down into her cup of espresso and then
looks up to see the Angelo Badalimenti figure, he
who appears in the dream as the quasi-vomiting
Castigliane, staring implacably at her from across
the table. If we take this visual information back
to the dream’s conference room, we can finally
appreciate what the dream-work has done, what
Lynch has so brilliantly represented the dreamwork
as doing: for in this condensation, Diane’s
own anger, disgust, and nausea are fused with the
image of a cup of espresso and a glaring, hostile
face, and all of this is compressed into the single
overdetermined figure of a raging, coffee-spewing
gangster. In reality, it is Diane who wants to puke
her espresso; in the dream the gangster spits it
out. In reality, Diane says ‘‘This is the girl,’’
while in the dream the Castigliane Brothers
repeat it. In reality, Diane is the thanatical force
‘‘behind’’ the missing girl’s murder, the great big
asshole doing the dirty work of death; in the
dream, the mob and the blackened bum are
assigned responsibility. In the dream, everyone in
the conference room is scared of Castigliane and
anxious about whether or not he will approve of
the espresso. In reality, no one at the dinner party
cares about Diane or imagines how she feels or
gives a shit whether she likes (or is like) her
espresso or not. No one cares whether Hollywood
directors like Diane or not, for she, like the
espresso, came ‘‘highly recommended’’ but the
director, as Diane puts it at the dinner table,
‘‘didn’t care’’ for her. In other words, and like
other words, and like countless other turds,
Diane, like the espresso, is disliked, dispossessed,
abjected, cast out.

The word ‘‘espresso’’ itself even means ‘‘to
press out,’’ but since it also resonates with
‘‘quick,’’ and ‘‘quick’’ means ‘‘alive,’’ as in the
opposition between the ‘‘quick and the dead,’’ we
can press out another strained interpretation and
say that no one gives a shit about Diane’s living
or dying. And this quick observation can press or
drive us towards the question of Diane’s suicide,
which I do want to approach as question rather
than as conclusion, even though it would seem to
be the end of the road. But before we arrive at
that destination, we have to make a quick stop,
perhaps even a rest stop (the rest being silence) at
the Club Silencio.

http://www.academia.edu/3669765/_Its_no_longer_your_film_Abjection_and_the_Mulholland_death_Drive

Great essay on "Mulholland Drive"

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
juanchi94

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 pm

haven't seen many thought provoking movies listed so i thought i would write some:

"waking life" 2001
"mindwalk" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec1CX-6A38 (Well worth the watch)
"v for vendetta" 2005
"1984"
"the dreamers" 2003

anyone know any other of these dialogue intense philosophical films?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:43 am

Point Blank - 1967

- revenge, possession, fate -

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Point_10

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 6:26 pm

Kim ki-duk's 'Moebius' is stunning, for those capable of seeing it beyond the literal.

Its a terrible and daring commentary on our times, and the sheer travesty and joke the male penis has become, as well as the emotions of a woman.

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 250px-Möbius_strip

The Mobius strip is a non-orientable surface with only one side and one boundary;... "if an ant were to crawl along the length of this strip, it would return to its starting point having traversed the entire length of the strip (on both sides of the original paper) without ever crossing an edge."

The film metaphorizes the male penis as a moebius strip that connects disconnections.
Incest takes on a new pathos, and its the sheer genius of Kim ki-duk to show the Freudian horror of Monotheistic Xt in the Moebius equivocation latent in it:

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Moebius

Those who are familiar with Norman Brown's theory of "polymorphous sexuality", will see how non-sexual organs of the body have to become eroticized --- this is the convergence of Dionysian Christianity Brown was aiming at during the leftist/marxist cultural revolution - the state of child-like non-differential pleasure, and Kim ki-duk plays out that logic to its rightful end. A master.

As always he tries to save the last bits of dignity of man, of family, of being human, by sub-merging worst human nature under a mirror that reflects the increasing internal castration of our very sanity. What's fantastic is the mechanics of dark humour that reflexively comes out to relieve the depth of nihilistic depravity.
The Feminization of our spirit.

This film should be added to the example of A War Like No Other.
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 pm

The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes.
Back to top Go down
Stalagmites

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Great movies in this thread; thank you all for sharing... Particularly enjoyed "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"; immediately put the movie on repeat. What a terrible feeling that was...

Some movies I enjoyed:

Still Life (2013)

Enter the Void (2009)

The Fountain (2006)

Mr. Nobody (2009)

Closer (2004)

Open Your Eyes (1997)

Magnolia (1999)

Pi (1998)

The Basketball Diaries (1995)

Dark City (1998)

Princess Mononoke (1997)
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 am

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 7:26 am

This is my favorite movie from horror genre and possibly my favorite movie of any genre.

I haven't watched it in few years, I don't want to over watch it. It has the best child actors EVER, they are so young, but they can mess with your mind and give such an impressive performance...

The Innocents (1961) based on this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turn_of_the_Screw
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Tenant10

Probably my 2# favorite movie of all time after The Innocents: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074811/ The Tenant (1976) by the child molesting Jew (Roman Polanski)
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 7:42 am

3# on my list. Withnail and I (1987), British black comedy. I haven't yet seen a movie which top any of these 3 movies, masterpieces. (unless you really want to read into some artsy movies, which I haven't done)

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Withna10

Last edited by Jarno on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 8:05 am

I haven't watched this in a while so I don't know if it holds up, but I remember liking this movie a lot.

Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) British psychological thriller: "Single mother Ann Lake arrives at the Little People's Garden preschool to collect her daughter, Bunny. The child has mysteriously disappeared. " Bunny Lake Is Missing

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Bunny10
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 am

Back when men were men and women were women.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050468/

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Gunfight_at_the_O.K._Corral_film_poster
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 pm

[quote="Jarno"]3# on my list. Withnail and I (1987), British black comedy. I haven't yet seen a movie which top any of these 3 movies, masterpieces. (unless you really want to read into some artsy movies, which I haven't done)

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Withna10

The intro instrumental song is a rendition of " AWhiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum:

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Space Odysee:2001, one of my favorites too...I'm sure everyone has seen it, but it's worthy to mention. It has aged well, there are really few new movies I can watch because I can't tolerate CGI, it ruins the movie experience for me really easily...

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Tumblr10
Back to top Go down
Zoot Allures

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 5:17 pm

On my list, this one is up there with A Clockwork Orange. How cliche, right.

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 510C02NBHQL

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 5:28 am

Zoot Allures wrote:
On my list, this one is up there with A Clockwork Orange. How cliche, right.

I didn't like clockwork orange, but I might give it another try. I haven't seen Rope, but going to watch it someday, for some reason I have never heard of it even though its Hitchcocks' movie.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 3:00 am

I completely forgot this, 4#
Back to top Go down
Zoot Allures

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:01 am

Quote :
I didn't like clockwork orange, but I might give it another try.

Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles... ya eunuch jelly, thou!

Back to top Go down
Zoot Allures

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 am

Do watch Rope if you can. I believe Hitchcock had in mind the Leopold and Loeb murder when he produced the movie. The references to Nietzsche's moral theory are accurate in that Nathan and Richard were readers of Nietzsche. The popularity behind the crime also comes from the defense argument used at trial.. forget the lawyers name..same dude in the evolution trial when the teacher was charged with teaching evolution or something like that.. famous trial. Anyway, same lawyer. The lawyer uses the determinism argument to exempt Nathan and Richard of responsibility. That was ballsy, and he didn't do too bad, actually.

Rope isn't a reenactment of what actually happen.. it's not a depiction of actual events. Only the murderers and the reasons for the murder are accurately portrayed. These two murdered a teenage boy with a chisel.. one drove while the other stabbed him to death. In the movie they strangle a dude and put him in a footlocker.

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 1:13 pm

One of the reasons I didn't like clockwork orange when I first saw it was because of the nudity, I find nudity/sex scenes usually very distracting. Many times nudity is just a cheap way to get more people to watch the movies/series.

Like I tried to watch pilot episode of Game of Thrones, but I just press alt + F4 during the first fucking scene, which probably came in first 5 minutes. I even heard someone say they watch GOT just because of the fucking scenes and "hot chicks".
Back to top Go down
Riastradh

Riastradh

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Jarno wrote:
One of the reasons I didn't like clockwork orange when I first saw it was because of the nudity, I find nudity/sex scenes usually very distracting. Many times nudity is just a cheap way to get more people to watch the movies/series.

Like I tried to watch pilot episode of Game of Thrones, but I just press alt + F4 during the first fucking scene, which probably came in first 5 minutes. I even heard someone say they watch GOT just because of the fucking scenes and "hot chicks".

Clockwork Orange is an all time great. Regimentation of nature. Use of slang as a sign of anti-sociality and disaffection. Denial of the feminine except for its commercially viable shadow forms. The denial of human cruelty (and cruel humans) as a necessary and unavoidable component of man (like when he imagines himself as a Roman distributing lashes). There are also themes of child sexual abuse (or corruption of sexual instincts to benefit society and institutions such as the bed scene with his teacher), and, neo-fascism/communism and the EU.

Game of Thrones has to be the most obvious example of feminist/emasculation propaganda of TV. They lured males in with the prospect of an epic battle between Kingslayer and Ned Stark. Then they proceeded to undermine and destroy every representation of masculine order. Stark beheaded. Kingslayer loses a hand. Lannister dies on the toilet. The hound beaten in a swordfight by a woman and left begging to be killed by a little girl. The only permitted male heroes are the crippled boy, the bastard child of Stark and the dwarf. All representations of disorder. Meanwhile all of the movers and shakers are women. Khaleesi and her dragons, the mysterious red women who gave birth to smoke, little Arya the tomboy killer and her magic friends. I stopped watching it a while back because it became too predictable.

On a similar note, Breaking Bad was the most intense show (although somewhat unrealistic) on television and (or because) it had almost no sexual content whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Great response, at least the nudity in clockwork has some "purpose". Now I really want to watch GOT just to see the emasculation you were talking about, this is one 50 yo feminist "cuckold" guy I used to talk in the gym always talked about GOT.

Speaking of series,the only ones that I really enjoyed was Oz and Dexter, I can't think of anything else.
Dexter have a lot forced, unrealistic diversity, Oz has diversity too, but it has an excuse because it's all about prison.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 4:31 pm

First I thought Game of Thrones would be something like a LotR clone but then I got into it and the first season and also the second one were good. But then the plot got more and more spun to please modern sensibilities. The whole show depicts the destruction of more or less patriarchal order being replaced by scheming queers and damsels of all sorts. The weak ones kind of stumble into power in a world which seems to favor the haphazard.
Although the setting is at first glance brutal times the social dynamics of success are taken from modern times of security and plenty.

Dexter was interesting for the first two seasons then they either failed with their story arcs or they repeated the ones from season one and two in a slightly different manner.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 3:16 am

Anfang wrote:

Dexter was interesting for the first two seasons then they either failed with their story arcs or they repeated the ones from season one and two in a slightly different manner.

I think the Lila "saga" was the best, but I stopped watching it after the trinity killer, I really liked the ending of season 4, it should just have ended there, but they ruined it by continuing it. I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't watched it, but it's an extremely harsh ending (thats why I love it).

But...Season 5 has good episodes too, where dexter is trying to "handle" his emotions, but they could have just easily fit these scenes in 1 or 2 episode.

Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Deex210

Back to top Go down
Kvasir
Augur
Kvasir

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 am

Carlin wrote:

On a similar note, Breaking Bad was the most intense show (although somewhat unrealistic) on television and (or because) it had almost no sexual content whatsoever.

I'm more of a movie goer than a series show trender. There are simply far too many shows out there for me to keep up with. They churn them out like canned food. It staggers me to think who has the time in their schedules to devote to watching three or four different shows. Breaking Bad was the one show that really intrigued me due to its complex portrayal of the dysfunctional yet poignant modern masculine psychology in extremes. It had more worthwhile depth. I wrote an analysis on it in the Adyton.

Dexter, i only watched the first season and part of the second. The cliche psychopathic persona with that "likable" charming personality turned me off and bored me. His character was simply too laden with hyper-inflations of panache and quirky gusto that had viewers so enamored with him, and seduced by his comical "uniqueness". Like morons, who walk around with t-shirts depicting Charles Manson.

Your observations of Game of Thrones sounds spot on.

Then you have the runaway grossly over-popularized zombie bullshit shows. The walking dead, and now the "Fear the Walking Dead". Film producers and directors lack so much creativity and are so insufferably dull, all they can do is just perpetuate a mindless trend and cash in on more money, rather then create something new.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 6:57 am

Kvasir wrote:

The cliche psychopathic persona with that "likable" charming personality turned me off and bored me.

I noticed this too and I agree, but I still like the show. I and everyone else hate the Dexter's annoying sister. I can also overlook that all serial killers in it are caucasians, no minorities (like all negrocentrists I've talked to claim most serial killers are white, even though its not true). I don't think it as a "masterpiece", it has a lot of flaws, but I think it's satisfying to watch.

I can identify with dexter on some aspects, not grieving or feeling about certain things like "normal people" do. But of course his reasons are a lot different, his inherent inability to feel (or maybe because of the tragedy).

I was in funeral of my godfather few years ago, not that I didn't care about him, but I thought that the funeral lamenting ruined it, everyone was so serious there. I don't think it's respectful to the dead to grieve about them like that, and my godfather was a humorous man, so I don't think that serious/sad atmosphere was fitting. He was already in his 70's, had few children, passed his genes, nothing tragic about that, he lives on. So at first I felt like Dexter there, smiling to everyone, while everyone else were dead serious.

Carlin wrote:
I'm more of a movie goer than a series show trender.

I can't call myself "movie goer" just because I can only name so few movies I like that came after year 2000. I hate watching new movies at home, the sound mixing is fucking awful that makes me have to adjust the volume every 5-10 minutes, they keep whispering their lines, and when I turn up the volume after like 5 minutes the action scene begins and BOOOOOOM, everything is so loud all the sudden and have to turn down the volume again. That alone makes me want to press alt + F4, which I do usually.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 11:05 am

Dexter Morgan as a personality is rather boring and his social interactions are detached and off in some way.
Now that's explained in the show as due to him having been made into a serial killer through a traumatic event,which is a very modern, sec. humanism kind of interpretation: Dexter was not really born with those potential qualities but he was made into a serial killer through the evil doings of other men and now he struggles to regain his goodness, a.k.a.humanity. ... But...
...that's not really due to good acting on M.C. Hall's part, instead he played the same doofus+gay in Six Feet Under. That seems to be his personality, not an act.

Anyway what is interesting about the show is the suspense of (not) getting caught and how he manages to evade it through his own actions. That's the heart of the show. Character wise the show is a mess and not interesting at all.
And that it did very well story-wise for the first two seasons.

Season 3 is very weak. Season 4 is better again and Season 5,6 and 7 from what I've seen were rehashing elements of Season 1 and 2 and were so so. It gets very weak towards the end again.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Is Six Feet Under any good?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Jarno wrote:
Is Six Feet Under any good?

Michael C. Hall plays a homosexual who is living together with a black police/security man.
I think that sums it up for a review. Haha.

He and his brother (heterosexual) run a family business, a funeral home.
Pretty much every relationship they depict in the show is dysfunctional on some level.
All filled with liberal cliches about life and its struggles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Masterpieces Cinematic Masterpieces - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cinematic Masterpieces
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next