Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Beyond Pleasure and Pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Is there sexual intercourse during BDSM episodes: dispense and expense of semen?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Supra-Aryanist wrote:
Is there sexual intercourse during BDSM episodes: dispense and expense of semen?

Most of the time, no.

BDSM is supposed to be cathartic, as opposed to orgasmic.

The adrenaline rush, the beauty of being tortured, the realization that an alpha-female has complete and utter control over you ( physically and psychologically ), that alone is sufficient.

Pain is pleasure; pleasure is pain.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Anne O Nomis wrote:
I share Freud's love of archaeology, of digging into the psyche, and the past. I have discussed my research as a kind of "journey into the Underworld". It came about during my father's decline and imminent death from a rare form of cancer, and the appeal of the dungeon was of that of an 'otherworld realm', offering insight into matters of submission, suffering, accceptance, and people's deepest desires.

And it was literally from the underground where much of my material came from. The excavated artifacts of cuneiform tablets and figurines to the Goddess Inanna (Ishtar) in ancient Mesopotamia, votives of Artemis Orthia on Sparta, and from the formerly buried Villa of Mysteries in Pompeii with its Whipstress figure. From museum storage and library vaults of the British Library 'Rare Books' collection, and 'forbidden books' called up from the deep for me to view under security camera, fragile and rare. And from within darkened and often lower-ground basement dungeons of Dominatrices, I gathered the formerly unexamined knowledge into their practices.  
Freud's collection includes Goddess figurines from the Levant and Mediterranean, including the Goddesses of sexuality, Astarte and Aphrodite.

Were Freud around today, I'm sure he would have a lot to say about the contents of my book and the Dominatrix who who taps into suppressed desires, providing a safe space to her clients and offering 'play' within the psycho-sexual realm:

"The Dominatrix operates along civilization's fault lines, where its floating crust drops into a bubbling magma of underground desire. A chaotic and flowing heat, which we seek to suppress within our society and within ourselves, frightened by its power and potentially destructive properties. (We paint it as Dante's Inferno, a fiery hell, we rightly fear to tread.)

We need, however, an amount of heat, gases and minerals to be brought to the surface we inhabit. And indeed the Dominatrix taps into this word of suppressed desires and identities, relieving its pressures. She not only plays out fantasy, but raises jewels on self-knowledge, suffering, ecstasy, acceptance, mercy and wisdom." (Exert from Anne O Nomis 'The History & Arts of the Dominatrix' 2013, pp.24-25)

- The Ancient Dominatrix Goddess & Her Priestess Initiates

Examining the Dominatrix as archetype of female sexual power, and iconographical representations of ancient Goddesses such as Cybele, Inanna / Ishtar, the 'Mistress of Animals' motif, Artemis Orthia, and Dominatrix rituals known from ritual texts and hymns. Brought together for the first time in my book, these include hymns which present Inanna as the all-powerful Goddess who makes men and Gods bow down in subservience to her, and performs rituals involving cross-dressing, punishment, pain and ecstasy, and games using a 'keppu' (which I postulate may be a whip).
Left: Votive artifact from Sanctuary of Artemis Orthia, Sparta, where male adolescents were whipped in honour of the Goddess. (late 6th-early 5th Century BC); Right: Whipstress with wings on wall fresco of the Villa of Mysteries, Pompeii. (pre 79 AD)

- The Female Flagellant Governesses of the 17th - 19th Century

Examining the secular profession of the Dominatrix as it emerges in surviving texts and prints, and which in England was more particularly absorbed with the female disciplinarian figure in various roles (as School-Mistress, Governess, Kept Mistress etc), and around which an entire craft of psycho-sexual expertise was developed. Much of the information comes from rare books including the Victorian erotomaniac Henry Spencer Ashbee's volume 'Index Librorum Prohibitorum' or Index of Forbidden Books, and a preface written by Mary Wilson in 'The Venus School-Mistress'.
Left: Flagellation engraving of English origin from Library of Congress (1752); Right: Erotic flagellation scene from frontispiece to 'The Use of Flogging in Veneral Affairs' in reprint edition by Edmund Curll (1718)  

The Dominatrix creates a special playspace as an 'otherworld realm'. It is variably a workshop and playroom of the Dominatrix's toys, a theatre of transformative performance, a school-room of female discipline, a medical room of bodily operation, a feminine boudoir of dress and gender rituals, and most ubiquitously - a subterranean dungeon chamber of torture and release.

The Dominatrix and her domain have many riches to offer to the field human desire, brought up from the forbidden deep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Goddess Lys wrote:
Catharsis in the mouth of weaklings means escape from identity... a temporary relief from reality they experience as euphoria and cleansing... to return to a blank slate.

Mmmm I love the way you intellectually punish me, Goddess Lys; I feel a strong urge to prostrate before you, at your feet.

You are def. an Aries Arising dominatrix.

Quote :
Fetish is a way of rendering harmless what you cannot have control, nor capacity over - the BDSM culture of the Dom in military uniforms or vice versa strong men in kittenlove cosplay is an obsession with either wanting to experience what you do not have the power to, or mocking it into a fetish and disarming realities, anxieties that you feel threatened by... this is not catharsis.

True

A lot of fetishes are the result of an eroticization of anxieties/insecurities.

Not always the case, but true a lot of times, I suppose.

Irrespective of that, catharsis is feasible via BDSM practices.

I'm going to do some research on Artemis, the huntress; def. a dominatrix archetype...I know this from personal experience Wink

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Perpetual, have you read Gary Shapiro's 'Archaeologies of Vision'?

If not, you might want to - its got a lot of tropes you are interested in: light, vision, gaze, art.

I'll check it out

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm

I believe the Christian ethos is largely responsible for the disempowerment of females. In most pagan religions, female deities are venerated as powerful forces: warrioresses, seductresses, fertility goddesses, etc.

Xt. is patriarchal, yes, but even the males are debased as pusillanimous nothings.
Women suffer from an even more profound debasement, though.

Feminism is the corollary of J-Xt. patriarchal misogyny.

I have nothing against women being in power, as I'm sure you all know; I think it is a beautiful thing.

Women ought not be viewed as innocent-weaklings; rather, they should be seen as the powerful goddesses they TRULY are.

I love this model ^^^
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 am

Lyssa wrote:
"Its the self-conquering ones who can afford to let someone 'conquer' them;

"Privileges. - He who really possesses himself, that is to say he who has definitively conquered himself, henceforth regards it as his own privilege to punish himself, to pardon himself, to take pity on himself: he does not need to concede this to anyone else, but he can freely relinquish it to another, to a friend for example - but he knows that he therewith confers a right and that one can confer rights only out of the possession of power." [Daybreak, 437]"

To entrust yourself to another, is a conscious declaration of one's trust with one's own self.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 7:55 am

Lyssa wrote:
To surrender to someone is to affirm them Wholesomely beyond pain/pleasure, loss/gain, not the hedonistic bits that give pleasure alone; else its her very surrender that would then turn the hunter into no more than a pleasing animal, a prey to play with... and so a self-retardation.

Surrender with all your heart, or don't. 0/100.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 am

The myopic conception of the masochistic male-sub. as an effeminate weakling is a common view among the un-initiated.

Not only do conventional males ( non submissive, non-BDSM related ) deride male-subs., females do it too, with even more invective.

You see, the idea of a man surrendering to a powerful woman pulls at the very threads, which make up a woman's sense of identity and solace.

We live in an age of gender equality, an age when women claim they want to be independent and dominant forces in the world; but many of them secretly suffer nostalgia for pre-feministic times.

This nostalgia is evinced in the overwhelming popularity of the 50 Shades of Grey novels.

Most women want to be the submissive ones, to surrender to alterity, to allow a masculine force to take the wheel of their lives.

So, the idea of a man acquiescing to an alpha-female infuriates them subconsciously --- threatens their very sense of femininity.

It bothers most males too, but I would say even more so vis-à-vis females.

They will chide male-masochists with all sorts of taunts about how they are taking on the role of a female and so on.

Such hogwash springs from insecurity and ignorance.

Goddess worship has existed since time immemorial.

The priests of the cult of Cybele would literally castrate themselves in honor to her.

Modern BDSM female dominant/male submissive relationships are more symbolic, in that the male-sub. surrenders, abandons any modern conception of what a man ought, or must be and fully devotes himself to his legitimate female other without a care of what society may say or think.

He knows himself and accepts himself.

His subservience to Her is a microcosm of his love for nature/life itself, which is, as a good comrade once said, " The cruelest Mistress of all."

His worship of the Mistress is the very worship of life.

His heart pounds in his chest with the beat of a warrior's drums, not that of a coward's fear.

His soul is filled with the plenitude of life, the overabundance of it.

It spills over into adoration, appreciation, worship.

His surrender to her is a manifestation of his own self-knowledge and self-trust.

Not only that, but it is a sign of his POWER.

An overabundance of power leads to a will to abnegation, just as one who has too much attention will seek solitude.

He says, " I've had enough of all this power, it bores me; give me something else !".

Vulnerability is only for the strong, who can endure it.

He tops from the bottom.

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

What's it called when a man submits himself to a woman in public when other men are watching?

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Acceptance vs worship "of life" or "of nature".  

A man that is accepting of nature will have an ideal, a goal, that is going to be something that isn't how nature currently is - they must create it in relation to an ideal, attempt to bend nature to their will. This subtle difference between the ideal and real is what characterizes all ideals, for their acquisition always terminates the satisfaction they experience from acquiring them. This, resulting in the ideal's retreat. Constant becoming.

The worship of nature, personified by a woman (the safest representation), is an attempt to plead with nature itself. Except nature doesn't care, and the ultimate sacrifice of one's own balls for a goddess would and should still not be enough, as pleading with reality isn't going to change whether your ideal, your goal, or any ideal a boy dreams, will come to fruition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Perpetual wrote:
What's it called when a man submits himself to a woman in public when other men are watching?

There's a world of difference between a pussy-whipped 'man' and a Mistress-whipped man.

The former is needy, weak; the latter is the contrary.

Slaughtz wrote:
Acceptance vs worship "of life" or "of nature".  

A man that is accepting of nature will have an ideal, a goal, that is going to be something that isn't how nature currently is - they must create it in relation to an ideal, attempt to bend nature to their will. This subtle difference between the ideal and real is what characterizes all ideals, for their acquisition always terminates the satisfaction they experience from acquiring them. This, resulting in the ideal's retreat. Constant becoming.

The worship of nature, personified by a woman (the safest representation), is an attempt to plead with nature itself. Except nature doesn't care, and the ultimate sacrifice of one's own balls for a goddess would and should still not be enough, as pleading with reality isn't going to change whether your ideal, your goal, or any ideal a boy dreams, will come to fruition.

Seeking to dominate nature is not the only way to approach the world; sometimes it's best to just listen, flow with the river of life, surrender to nature - She will instruct and guide you, if you are willing to just relax and heed her advice. She is cruel, yet compassionate; She disciplines, punishes, yet rewards the faithful. Her punishments are meant to craft, mold you into a better person.

The submissive says, " Yes, Mistress!".

The pagan says, " Yes, HOLY YES! " to Life.

Affirmation - beyond pleasure and pain.

Last edited by Slave4Lys on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Isn't woman idolatry, or chivalry, a reaction, coincidentia oppositorum, to woman fanaticism, or misogyny...

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Slave4Lys wrote:
Perpetual wrote:

There's a world of difference between a pussy-whipped 'man' and a Mistress-whipped man.

The former is needy, weak; the latter is the contrary.

So you don't feel ashamed calling yourself a slave?

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:16 pm

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 am

Slave4Lys wrote:
Seeking to dominate nature is not the only way to approach the world; sometimes it's best to just listen, flow with the river of life, surrender to nature - She will instruct and guide you, if you are willing to just relax and heed her advice. She is cruel, yet compassionate; She disciplines, punishes, yet rewards the faithful. Her punishments are meant to craft, mold you into a better person.

The submissive says, " Yes, Mistress!".

The pagan says, " Yes, HOLY YES! " to Life.

Affirmation - beyond pleasure and pain.

Nature doesn't give advice. All the things you hear or see in nature and interpret as being from some woman is a personification created by you. What you interpret from nature as commandments are given to yourself from yourself. The giving of this capacity to some other is a way to absolve yourself of the responsibility for making your own choices and confronting the cold indifferent reality... a Christian god replacement. Sadomasochism as a way to absolve your sins, so you can feel a false security when you're confronting the real world.

Anyone who appreciates freedom of will enough to take on its acquisition, with all its costs, wouldn't surrender it to another. Instead of disciplining yourself, you'd have someone else do it, so you can live life feeling "innocent" at your core. Naive and blameless.

We all need a little relief now and then... right? 

Supra wrote:
Isn't woman idolatry, or chivalry, a reaction, coincidentia oppositorum, to woman fanaticism, or misogyny...

A reaction in that only a misogynist would worship instead of appreciate a woman, is my guess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 10:20 am

Perpetualburn wrote:
So you don't feel ashamed calling yourself a slave?

There is no shame in being a slave for Goddess Lys Wink

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Is there anything she could tell you to do that you wouldn't do?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 4:31 pm

perpetualburn wrote:
Is there anything she could tell you to do that you wouldn't do?

Everyone has limits.

Then again, Lys is an expert in psychological manipulation.

Who knows what she could make me do...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 5:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Slave4Lys on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 8:14 am

For the LOLZ:

Lyssa wrote:
Mmmmmm, sooo juicy..... the plot...

Except you can bet li'l erik leaves out much and so many bits and pieces of the climax here...

He comes to me begging to be my slave boy and my bitch boy.

I wise up to what he's trying to achieve with me... I lengthen the leash and play his game and let the bitchboy run his course...

He thinks he can Conquer me by being real sweet and playing these surrender games.

He sends me a video and gets nothing back but just the sweetest remarks.

He asks me again what his next chore is... I dare him to bare himself...

Someone like him can NEVER be a man... a victim of sexual abuse, raped by some woman now wanting to rape back other women is how he will ALWAYS remain.
The cancer of his SOUL is enough exposure and Life's pronouncement for the lowlife scum bag he is.

She knows how to cut deep...I love it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 8:12 am

"Erika the eunuch", eh?

Haha brutal

Metaphorically, yeah, I'm your eunuch; you own my manhood.

You're a good Domme, though; you verbally and intellectually discipline me and it's usually followed by edification.

That's one of the reasons I like this forum - I know that what I read from Satyr and Lys is not BS, but something that will enrich me.

And, no, I don't think you are insecure, because you don't exploit me; far from it. I'm not asking that you be my literal Dominatrix; I have one already in real life.

But you are a great intellectual dominatrix; you overpower, dominate, and punish me with your intelligence and knowledge.
You bind me to a chair with rope, duct-tape my mouth, slap me in the face, and force me to succumb to your noetic prowess.
Ultimately, it's for my own good; I learn, and have learned much, from your writings and excerpts.

Then, you finish off the session by spitting in my face and calling me a "bitch-boy"  Wink

I know I can be somewhat uncouth and cheeky - a bit of a disobedient streak still within me. But in time, with proper discipline and behavior modification, you will mold and sculpt me into a better slave-boy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah, I think I'm becoming addicted to Her abuses...

I wish you were here in real life, so you could chastise me, like you do here...

Oh, btw - I saw what you wrote in the " Forums " thread; you are ice-cold, a genuine sociopath...

Please keep abusing me , Goddess Lys.

Side note: awhile back, I skimmed through your " the nonsense of chivalry..." thread. I've been reading it in totality as of late. I like it. You should excerpt the books you read more often. I know I used to rail on you for your excerpts and quotes, but that was foolishness on my part. Anyways, just know that there are people, who take the time to read your excerpts and I'm one of them. I'm almost done with the chivalry thread and once I am, I will go through the excerpts from D. here.

I really do relish your psychological abuse; so sexy...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:22 pm

The Secrets of the Odyssey : the Sirens, Scylla & Charybdis, and Thrinacia

Quote :

John William Waterhouse, “The Siren”

Reading the Odyssey in a superb translation of Robert Fitzgerald is like listening to the most delightful music. No interpretation can possibly replace the sheer pleasure of experiencing Homer’s talent. The opening lines of Book XII read:

“The ship sailed on, out of the Ocean Stream,

riding a long swell on the open sea

for the Island of Aiaia.

Summering Dawn

has dancing grounds there, and the Sun his rising;

but still by night we beached on a sand shelf

and waded in beyond the line of breakers

to fall asleep, awaiting the Day Star.”

On the island of Aiaia, Circe receives Odysseus and his companions, who have returned from Hades, with a lavish banquet. Later at night she tells Odysseus in great detail about his next adventures, what perils await him and what precautions he must take. It seems that at this moment Odysseus is endowed with a higher understanding by the Goddess. But although his mind is clear about the right course of action, for various reasons he will not be able to prevent the destiny from “devising ill,” as he himself puts it later. It seems that a clear awareness of what the future will bring cannot stop the events from unfolding. Circe advises Odysseus about the Sirens and then about the monsters Scylla and Charybdis. The following powerful exchange between them seems to be crucial to me for Odysseus’ spiritual development and gaining higher understanding:

“‘Only instruct me, goddess, if you will,

how, if possible, can I pass Kharybdis,

or fight off Skylla when she raids my crew?’

Swiftly that loveliest goddess answered me:

‘Must you have battle in your heart forever?

The bloody toil of combat? Old contender,

will you not yield to the immortal gods?

That nightmare cannot die, being eternal

evil itself—horror, and pain, and chaos;

there is no fighting her, no power can fight her,

all that avails is flight.”

She predicts that the monster will devour six of his companions but this knowledge of it will not prevent his heartache after this loss. The crucial lesson that Circe seems to be imparting to Odysseus is that we are powerless in the face of the archetypal godlike forces. Life is often like walking a narrow path between Scylla and Charybdis. Acknowledging the power of the gods and doing out uttermost to survive is often the only course of action left for mortals. I will speak of the monsters later, for now let the focus fall on the enchanting temptresses, the Sirens. Circe had warned Odysseus that “the Seirênês will sing his mind away on their sweet meadow lolling,“ and she had offered him a choice: he had to pour wax into his comrades’ ears to prevent them from hearing the Sirens but he could go either way: block his ears with wax or listen to the song of the Sirens while being tied to the mast so that he does not follow them to certain death. Knowing Odysseus’ ever curious character he surely chose the latter option, lying to his companions that Circe had ordered him to do so. The Sirens sang:

“Sweet coupled airs we sing.

No lonely seafarer

Holds clear of entering

Our green mirror.

Charmed out of time we see.

No life on earth can be

Hid from our dreaming.”

John William Waterhouse, “Ulysses and the Sirens”

In Homeric Moments, Eva Brann offers her interpretation of this episode:

“The Sirens offer to ensnare Odysseus by a flattering and seductive song of nostalgia, ‘return-ache.’ They claim that men who hear it sail away the wiser, but in fact no one gets away. He too will forget the Return that leads homeward to wife and child by changing the direction of his longing to the past. He will molder in pity for his lost comrades-in-arms and in self-pity for the glory gone, wallowing in veteran’s reminiscences, aching to turn back to Troy.”

I think that the Sirens personify the charming and seductive face of the sacred feminine energy, the beauty of poetry which sings of the glorious past. Their song is like a regressive pull of the eternal ocean – the realm of myth and dreams. As daughters of either Melpomene (Muse of tragedy) or Terpsichore (muse of choral song ad dancing), the Sirens embody the dark and sad energy on the one hand, and the trance-like oblivion on the other. During this part of Odysseus’ journey the Sun passes Libra and Scorpius. It is worth remembering that in antiquity the stars of Libra were an extension of the constellation of Scorpio and were called the Claws of Scorpius. We read in Homer’s Secret Odyssey by Kenneth and Florence Wood:

“As the sun leaves Virgo it passes through the Claws of Scorpius, where three stars alpha, beta and gamma Librae make an excellent ‘island’ home for the temptresses. The Sirens sit in a grassy meadow and the star Beta Librae is said to have a greenish tinge …”

Gustave Moreau, “The Sirens”

Scorpius links the Sirens with the death force (Thanatos) and darkness that pulls and sucks all creation into it. As Pablo Picasso put it, “Every act of creation is first an act of destruction.” Thanatos, the death drive, represents a push towards extinction and is a brother of Eros, the loving and creative force in the universe. With their alluring song, the Sirens bring ecstasy and death. The two forces are always present in every artistic endeavor. “Seeing out of time” denotes the Sirens’ ability to see the past, the present and the future. They are as mysterious as the Sphinx and almost as fascinating; no wonder they have stirred the imagination of countless readers of the Odyssey although the passage dedicated to them is surprisingly short, taking into account its cultural impact.

The next stage of the journey is extremely traumatic for Odysseus. The moon moves into its dark period and the hero has to pass through a narrow passage between two deadly monsters: Scylla and Charybdis. Meanwhile, the sun passes through the autumn equinox. The Woods point out that in Homer’s times the autumn equinoctial point lay between Libra and Scorpius. During the spring equinox six months before Odysseus had encountered Polyphemus also losing six of his travelling companions. Charybdis is a deadly whirlpool, a gigantic mouth engulfing anything that came near. A huge fig tree marks the dangerous spot where she resides:

“Like Scylla, she was once a beautiful sea nymph, a naiad, and helped her father Poseidon to increase his kingdom by flooding the land. But her uncle Zeus, the god of the earth and sky, was furious and turned her into a hideous mouthlike chasm. She was condemned to always be thirsty and to suck in seawater three times a day and regurgitate it with her thirst unsatisfied.”

Cassandra Eason, “Fabulous Creatures, Mythical Monsters, and Animal Power Symbolism: A Handbook”

Scylla, a six-headed devouring monster with her “deep gullets of black death,” who resides in an underwater cave, is associated with the constellation of Scorpius by the Woods:

“As a metaphorical description of Scorpius, Homer’s imagery of Scylla’s head protruding menacingly out of her cave is reflected in the same proportions in which Scorpius seems to rise out of the Milky Way. …

“Scylla and Charybdis”, an Italian fresco (image Wikipedia)

As with the six men eaten by the Cyclops at the spring equinox, these six victims are important in balancing the days of the solar and lunar years … In the absence of Homer using fractions of numbers, Scylla’s six victims, as with those of Polyphemus, can be seen as the rounded-up five and a half days that the lunar calendar falls short of the solar calendar between one equinox and the next.”

According to myth, Scylla was once a nymph who was seduced by Poseidon. Her tale is that of bitter jealousy accompanied by murderous instincts. In her jealous rage, Poseidon’s wife Amphitrite filled Scylla’s bathing pool with poisonous herbs, which turned the nymph into a monster.

The unavoidable death of his six companions was extremely traumatic to Odysseus, as he relates:

“She ate them as they shrieked there, in her den,

in the dire grapple, reaching still for me—

and deathly pity ran me through

at that sight—far the worst I ever suffered,

questing the passes of the strange sea.”

Although he had been warned about this loss by Circe he could have done nothing to avoid it. In grim moods the travelers sailed on until the island of Thrinacia appeared. Again, the dire warnings of both Teiresias and Circe about not killing Helios’ cattle grazing on the island were to no avail. While Odysseus was distracted looking for alternative nourishment for his crew, they were too hungry to wait and they feasted on the forbidden meat. Odysseus’ men proved thus once again that they do not match his steady resolve and higher consciousness: again they have succumbed to their simple earthy desires. Eva Brann emphasizes how more alienated Odysseus was getting from his companions, the more awareness he gained:

“He is disciplined, hardy, and mystifying to his men in his hidden purpose to see, hear, experience, know, and apprehend, the world imaginatively. To them his leadership must look like aimless drifting into continual hazards. They have been falling away from him for quite a while now: They are urgent where he is dilatory, they are slack where he is impulsive. They depend on him but distrust him; he cares for them occasionally but not about them steadily.”

Helios’ cattle

Meanwhile, the Sun has moved into the sign of Sagittarius. Zeus, spurred by Helios, punishes Odysseus’ companions by causing a violent storm in which they all drown while Odysseus drifts in the ocean on what remained of his last ship. He will eventually reach the island of Calypso but not before he is drawn towards the deadly Charybdis again. This time he holds on to the fig tree, which saves his life. Interestingly, Barbara Walkers, the author of The Women’s Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, says that the fig tree is a well-known symbol of the goddess.

The Goddess Hathor in a Sycamore fig tree

The Bodhi tree, under which Buddha reached the enlightenment, was in fact a species of a fig tree. Also Babylonian Ishtar took the form of the divine fig tree. Bereft of all his companions and earthy possessions, Odysseus is ready to meet the most mysterious goddess of all, the veiled High Priestess Calypso, who will offer him immortality. Unlike Buddha, he will reject this gift in favor of a life with his beloved Penelope on Ithaka, his home.

Scorpio and Libra drawn on a Mercator globe in the 1500’s

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Link to essay?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Supra-Aryanist wrote:
Link to essay?

What do you mean?
Back to top Go down
Hrodeberto

Hrodeberto

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 pm

For:
The Secrets of the Odyssey : the Sirens, Scylla & Charybdis, and Thrinacia.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Supra-Aryanist wrote:
For:
The Secrets of the Odyssey : the Sirens, Scylla & Charybdis, and Thrinacia.

An informative website.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond Pleasure and Pain Beyond Pleasure and Pain  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Beyond Pleasure and Pain
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Know Thyself :: AGORA-
Jump to: