Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Psychology behind drug usage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Illiterate

Psychology behind drug usage Empty
PostSubject: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptyMon Jul 10, 2023 12:28 pm

What is the psychology behind drug usage; also in general this desire to be out of touch with reality?

I have heard theories about drug addiction being about emotional pain, and not being comfortable with oneself. So if I'm not comfortable being with myself, I could take drugs to head away for a while... I might want to feel something not like myself...

But then who wants to be something different than what he is? I honestly don't know, but perhaps those who feel mistreated by nature, that is weaklings.

Do you think high testosterone correlates with problematic usage of drugs? Because in statistics, males aged 18-25 are clearly most likely to have a drug addiction; that is also the group with highest testosterone levels.

Sure, high testosterone means a high tendency to take risks, and reckless drug usage sure is one. But then again, testosterone is the hormone that makes you feel confident and comfortable with yourself, if I'm not mistaken. So by the first glance there seems to be a paradox.

Another explanation could be this alienation felt by modern young males. They are in emotional pain, therefore more likely to take desperate measures. But why are there so many more young males that suffer from drug addiction than let's say middle-aged males? Because when modern females are being hostile to most males (given that they are not wives anymore, what man needs a woman to live with?) surely men of all ages are certainly not happy in modern times. Do older males have some other coping mechanisms? Or are older males more docile, more tolerant, more accepting?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptyMon Jul 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Illiterate wrote:
What is the psychology behind drug usage; also in general this desire to be out of touch with reality?
First thing - there are addictive personalities and personality is inherited
Second thing - existence is experienced by living organisms as need/suffering, and pleasure - as Schopenhauer said - is a negative state of temporary distraction form existence.
Intoxication is a form of chemical detachment from reality, from exitance. For some this state is addictive.
Two typed of addicts: those who find existence too much to handle, and those who find it not enough to justify suffering.
For both, chemical numbing helps them relieve their suffering, and helps them turn inward - like in sleep, when the mind disconnects from the external it turns inward.
This 'turning inward' is also a state when many experience all kinds of paranormal events - the imagination taking over when existence limited what could be perceived.

Illiterate wrote:
Do you think high testosterone correlates with problematic usage of drugs? Because in statistics, males aged 18-25 are clearly most likely to have a drug addiction; that is also the group with highest testosterone levels.
Anything that increases libidinal energies - testosterone, sheltering - multiplies the need to find alternate methods of expunging these accumulating energies.
See above, concerning the world being 'not enough'.
Ennui is also a product of mental energies requiring expunging - relief.

Illiterate wrote:
Sure, high testosterone means a high tendency to take risks, and reckless drug usage sure is one. But then again, testosterone is the hormone that makes you feel confident and comfortable with yourself, if I'm not mistaken. So by the first glance there seems to be a paradox.
Testosterone is a natural intoxicant, multiplying pain tolerance, and increasing risk taking.
A natural way of making individual's willing to do anything to 'get laid.'
A self-induced frenzy.
Different races have different ranges of testosterone.

Illiterate wrote:
Another explanation could be this alienation felt by modern young males. They are in emotional pain, therefore more likely to take desperate measures. But why are there so many more young males that suffer from drug addiction than let's say middle-aged males?
Alienation is a byproduct of the decline of paternalism, resulting in males not being invested in the welfare of a group, lacking a mate.
They become 'free-radicals' - and tend to veer towards radicalism or criminality - parasitism.

Older males experience a gradual drop in testosterone levels, as do females, decreasing their sex drive.
In females what takes over is emotional needs for attention, comfort, soothing, belonging etc.

Illiterate wrote:
Because when modern females are being hostile to most males (given that they are not wives anymore, what man needs a woman to live with?) surely men of all ages are certainly not happy in modern times. Do older males have some other coping mechanisms?
Most males become submissive as they grow older.
Others learn to become indifferent.
Monogamy is not a natural state.

Illiterate wrote:
Or are older males more docile, more tolerant, more accepting?
Yes...more worn out and, since many have achieved their reproductive role, more indifferent to the female.
This is when adultery is typically what follows.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Illiterate

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptyTue Jul 11, 2023 12:04 pm

Thanks Satyr for the great insights.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptyTue Jul 11, 2023 8:44 pm

Illiterate

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptyWed Jul 12, 2023 11:02 am

Nice channel. Didn't know that one.
Back to top Go down
Illiterate

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptySat Aug 05, 2023 11:27 am

Satyr wrote:

Satyr, have you researched psychopathy?

A few questions rose in my mind when I watched that video.

#1. Does psychopathy manifest differently in males and females?

#2. In that video it was said that psychopaths follow only their impulses about pleasure-seeking; claiming that many psychopaths are drug addicted and alcoholics. Also, according to Freudian psychology, psychopaths lack superego. But the question is... is this apt description about psychopaths (who are said to be 1-4% of the population) taking into account that very many people seem to have problems with controlling their actions or even being conscious of them. Many people (much more than 1-4%) are alcoholics and seek pleasure only. In fact, it sometimes seems to me that most people lack the superego. Most people don't have the potential to be noble, to have principles.

#3. Are psychopaths more prone to suicide? If they are, why? Atleast many murderers have committed suicide in prison. Here one example. Don't know if she is a psychopath or not, but I think she looks pretty vicious; having perhaps the psychopathic eyes that were mentioned in the video. Amber Hilberling.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

#4. If psychopaths do lack the superego and they are also more prone to suicide... Isn't this kind of a paradox? Since the base human or base animal have a strong justification for life, and a strong sense of self-preservation; why would a psychopath kill himself/herself? Also, suicide was considered noble in many cultures. So how can an individual with no superego be noble? Or are the psychology behind committing the suicide different here?
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptySat Aug 05, 2023 12:04 pm

Illiterate wrote:
Satyr, have you researched psychopathy?
No.

Illiterate wrote:
A few questions rose in my mind when I watched that video.

#1. Does psychopathy manifest differently in males and females?
It's logical to assume hormonal differences will make a difference.

Illiterate wrote:
#2. In that video it was said that psychopaths follow only their impulses about pleasure-seeking; claiming that many psychopaths are drug addicted and alcoholics. Also, according to Freudian psychology, psychopaths lack superego. But the question is... is this apt description about psychopaths (who are said to be 1-4% of the population) taking into account that very many people seem to have problems with controlling their actions or even being conscious of them. Many people (much more than 1-4%) are alcoholics and seek pleasure only. In fact, it sometimes seems to me that most people lack the superego. Most people don't have the potential to be noble, to have principles.
We all have impulses and are pleasure driven, a psychopath is unable to control himself despite knowing the possible consequences.

Illiterate wrote:
#3. Are psychopaths more prone to suicide? If they are, why? Atleast many murderers have committed suicide in prison. Here one example. Don't know if she is a psychopath or not, but I think she looks pretty vicious; having perhaps the psychopathic eyes that were mentioned in the video. Amber Hilberling.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not everyone in prison for murder is a psychopath.
There's a ego component.....
Many psychologists reject the term, since it is often used to refer to a variety of mental conditions.

The anti-social part is usually the factor most associate with psychopaths. An indifference to another's pain...lack of empathy....
Objectivity is confused for psychopathy, as if knowing the truth denies the possibility that I can sympathize with another's plight.
Autism is mistaken for psychopathy, because if their inability to sympathize or read a room.
An inability to sympathize is the central theme here.
A mediocre mind associates empathy with sympathy and if not sympathy then antipathy - there must be some emotion corrupting judgement.

Inability and intentionality are confused because, according to dimwits, to be able to sympathize automatically means you must subjugate reasoning to emotion.
They insist all is subjective, in equal measure, and that objectivity is either impossible, evil, or an excuse to be selfish.
With psychopaths I suspect some kind of trauma affecting their ability to sympathize, r antipathize.....they tend to be emotionless.

Illiterate wrote:
#4. If psychopaths do lack the superego and they are also more prone to suicide... Isn't this kind of a paradox? Since the base human or base animal have a strong justification for life, and a strong sense of self-preservation; why would a psychopath kill himself/herself? Also, suicide was considered noble in many cultures. So how can an individual with no superego be noble? Or are the psychology behind committing the suicide different here?
Ego is powerful.
The ego may prefer death to the indignity of jail.
It's sense of superiority must be maintained and when it begins to doubt itself it may seek to end it.

There are many reasons for suicide, so this must be approached case by case.
Suicide indicates an inability to cope with a circumstance.
Incarceration may be a circumstance that challenges the mind's ego, its sense of self, tis image.
Freedom the state many cannot live without - preferring death.

The fact that many are now denying free-will only shows us how dead inside they've become.
They kill the self, to endure existence.....and the responsibility.
The pain of realizing that whatever circumstances you are in you are, to some degree, responsible, is unbearable to most.
The psychopath may physically suicide but the postmodern nihilist may ideologically suicide - killing the idea of self - because he is too much of a coward to do the other.

Illiterate

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:33 am

Thank you Satyr.
Back to top Go down
Dan~~

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 11:33 am

Maybe drug use is simple:

They want to feel good / high,
so they take pills and whatnot.
For a price.

American Indians have some kind of genetic addiction weakness.
So many of them do drugs and substances.
They put Africans to shame with their self destruction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Psychology behind drug usage Psychology behind drug usage Empty

Back to top Go down

Psychology behind drug usage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1