Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Lyssa wrote:
perpetualburn wrote:
http://polarcosmology.com/essays/vertiginous-twisted/

Interesting bits on the green. In pdf?

That looks a lot influenced by Joscelyn Godwin's Polar Myth.

I'm not sure, I just stumbled upon it there.

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:14 pm

"Chasing Mavericks" (2012)

Frosty (Gerald Butler) is the reluctant father who finally fulfills his role as guide and mentor to our young surfer prodigy Jay (Jonny Weston). Under the wise wing of Frosty, Jay learns to soar on the terrifying face of the ocean sky. This is not another soulless family drama with empty moral notes that always tend to ring out unsettlingly, but a well-pieced together look into the challenges that go along with any harmonious father-son relationship. The innocent blond appearance of Jay stands in working contrast to the darker and more direct handsomeness of Frosty. While Jay has incredible potential and is ready to absorb all the wisdom that the ocean offers, he still needs to learn the most important lesson: attention to detail. And under the stern eye of Frosty, he eventually does. Unlike other surfer themed films that focus on teenage rebellion and the laid back beach lifestyle, “Chasing Mavericks” dedicates itself to showing the discipline required to ride these large, dangerous waves. Jay commits himself to every task that Frosty sets, showing himself to be both a responsible son to an out of sorts mother and loyal friend to some not so loyal buddies along the way. The straight path of Jay manages to realign everyone around him as they witness his transformation into living legend.

And here we always meet, at the station of our heart / Looking at each other as if we were in a dream /Seeing for the first time different eyes so supreme / That bright flames burst into vision, keeping us apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Antichrist ( 2009 )

A very fucked up film, but chock-full of interesting symbolism.

In summa, Christianity made women into sexually repressed, neurotic messes by demonizing their sexuality, no, their very existence as females.

J.-Xt. Patriarchal misogyny

The woman protagonist = subconscious mind

The male protagonist = conscious mind

They quarrel with each other. She tries to communicate with him about her feelings about the death of their son, but he is very cold, nonchalant about the whole thing. Their son died, while they were having intercourse. She knew that he was going to fall out the window, but she was having such an intense orgasm that she didn't want to get up. She later seriously regrets this; it haunts her, and makes her feel ashamed of her sexuality.

The guilt she has for her son's death is symbolic of the guilt that women feel for the death of Christ, which was ultimately the result of woman's immorality ( Eve in the garden ).

The woman protagonist gets involved in the occult, witchery.

Will let you figure out the rest.

Back to top Go down
Trixie Celūcilūnaletumoon

Trixie Celūcilūnaletumoon

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Guest wrote:
a small feminine looking oriental man,
Most are.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 am

"ἐδιζησάμην ἐμεωυτόν." [Heraclitus]

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

*Become clean, my friends.*
Back to top Go down
http://ow.ly/RLQvm
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:54 pm

All associated with the latest Iranian film issued a fatwa...

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both." [Aeschylus, Prometheus]

"The history of everyday is constituted by our habits. ... How have you lived today?" [N.]

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Attack on Titan

It has been a long time that I have felt actual attachment to characters and felt meaning in a series, potential, something of value as I did watching the 2 seasons of Attack on Titan, and I just finished watching the movie too.

Firstly I recommend to watch the series otherwise you cannot expect any meaning in the movie since it is much more abstract, no growth of characters to witness - of course since it is only 1 and a half hour long compared to the still unfinished series already a spending of days watching.

Very shortly said, it is about being sheltered within walls as cattle, a trapped bird in a cage, the titans break through, a lot of losses and through such growth, to out-monster the monsters, a hatred; to be careful not to become a monster fighting them but still have self control to project your destructive hatred upon them, selectivity.
The settings of the series is European, the landscapes, characters, names, buildings, Titans.
All the other races have been wiped out during the time when the Titans showed up for the first time; except for a few half-blood Asians, such as Mikasa, she stands out for her black hair. She was intended to become, as a child, a sex slave with her full blood asian mother, one of the last though killed during the capturing. But she was saved by a boy from the, seemingly Jewish traffickers (episode 6 or 7 season 1).

Here a list of racial inheritence of some main characters:
http://seireina.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-nationality-of-shingeki-no-kyojin.html
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=653197
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/1o2wtt/nationalities_of_characters_based_on_names/

And here they are claiming ''racieeezt'': https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/20zczh/no_black_peopletitans_in_aot/ speculating ''where muh black titties''.

And of course the cult of the wall, their little Utopia protected from evil uncaring outside world.
http://the-artifice.com/attack-on-titan-fan-reception-religion-race/

The movie is worth a watch only after the series I would say to connect many dots, though it feels strange to miss a lot from the series and everybody is Japanese (made by Japanese of course, in Japan).
The Titans are unsatiable who feed only on humans, many humans themselves have been led into the war with them just to make space within the inner walls, otherwise many would starve after having lost so many farm lands.
The movie is more of a setting as post-destruction of our current world, more accurate to show the poor sides in the outer circles, but too grey compared to the series.
I like the scene however how all went inside a church and kept others outside out of angst and then they where the ones wanting to get outside the church again for they were an easy prey for the Titans.

The Titans look like Moderns, always smiling without value, always this look of blissful ignorance on their faces.

Really short what I write, see yourselves if time and interest.

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 4:20 pm

I couldn't stand Attack on Titan, I watched 3 episodes and just got sick of that cable tricking masturbation (like in a typical steampunk anime obsesed with their animations) and I didn't like that "protecting the humanity" message, but I guess there are no other races left. But I might give it a chance after reading all that "speculation" since I really doubt the makers of that anime put that much thought into it.
Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Lyssa wrote:
Spotlight: The catholic sex scandal

I saw this recently.  It got rave reviews, but I couldn't bear it.  The life of a journalist in Boston is even more boring and depressing when re-imagined on film.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 8:19 am

perpetualburn wrote:
Lyssa wrote:
Spotlight: The catholic sex scandal

I saw this recently.  It got rave reviews, but I couldn't bear it.  The life of a journalist in Boston is even more boring and depressing when re-imagined on film.

Right now, anything would be better than "By the sea".

I think movies like that are simply made to amass money for charity purposes, else why would they do such a film That way?
It was a horror of one' own time being wasted so bad as that.

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Lyssa wrote:

I think movies like that are simply made to amass money for charity purposes, else why would they do such a film That way?

See the new Macbeth with Fassbender if you haven't already. I saw it a couple of nights ago(it was just released here). Think Valhalla Rising in terms of style but with Shakespearean dialogue. The ending is incredible. I'd also recommend re-reading Macbeth first before you see it for a more fluid experience (so you can catch the entire meaning of each scene without spending any unnecessary time processing what the characters just said)

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 am

perpetualburn wrote:
Lyssa wrote:

See the new Macbeth with Fassbender if you haven't already.  I saw it a couple of nights ago(it was just released here).  Think Valhalla Rising in terms of style but with Shakespearean dialogue.  The ending is incredible.  I'd also recommend re-reading Macbeth first before you see it for a more fluid experience (so you can catch the entire meaning of each scene without spending any unnecessary time processing what the characters just said)

I haven't, but I will; thanks.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am

'The Imitation Game' [2014] uses the same trick of using exceptional individuals "who happen to be" homosexual to push the agenda for the tolerance of homosexuality.

"You never know" is the mantra repeated three times in the film.

Using the exception to level down the rule is part of modern propaganda.

Last edited by Lyssa on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 am

perpetual burn wrote:
See the new Macbeth with Fassbender if you haven't already.  I saw it a couple of nights ago(it was just released here).  Think Valhalla Rising in terms of style but with Shakespearean dialogue.  The ending is incredible.

That background music was abs. the wrong choice; I think it totally spoilt the film. But the ending was spectacular.
The cinnabar winds were beautifully directed. I remember 'Strangerland' had an unsettling red dust landscape… a diff. kind of uncanny.

Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 11:05 am

Watched 5 minutes of the Shannara Chronicles; it had an MTV label so something was wrong already.
Within the first 2 minutes, a skinny elf girl is about to spit on ancient tradtions and challange the most strong and athletic men to out-perform them in a running contest through the Woods.
She reminds the elven men that ''there are also female commanders, times have changed.''
So it starts with a good dose of feminist glory porn.
She gots beaten down the first second but still wins the contest together with the other 6..

Well, there was feminist propaganda, a skinny girl beating big men; the actual essence and depictions have been lowered to mere ''pointy ears'' to consider a being as ''elf'' or to represent a mythical creature in accordance to Hollywood - just superficial men and women with plastic ears..
At least, in so far, there were no negro elves; the whole contest were with healthy Whites with not a single nigger; ok, I can stand to watch another minute..
Minute 5...
A negress in a ''bad ass'' dominatrix costume and her pointy ears covered in steel harnass as to say ''she is in charge'' and the best of the best was shown.

God damn it. Im outta here.
Continue to watch Macbeth (my 3rd day now that I continue), now, that is so far a great movie and relationship to Shakespeare.
White people clearly idenitifiable to a certain ethnicity; all in poetry, great sceneries, beautiful historic representations and well choreographed.
And the battle depiction in the very beginning makes you feel every move and wound yourself.

http://streamcloud.eu/73sr9foj0ij9/Macbeth.2015.BRRip.XviD.AC3-EVO.avi.html

A motherless man abroad;
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Bone Tomahawk.

Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 8:04 am

Based on a real story.

Very good movie depicting the Modern condition.
Narcissism meets materialism.
Jihadi-like secret cells of disillusioned males planning ways to stand out within the uniformity presenting itself as Nihilistic multiplicity.

The male beta/omega dream of being appreciated (highly) constructing plans of utter hypermasculine detachment from reality, and teenage incompetence.
Appearance with little substance - tokens of their worth substituting for their lost past/nature.  
Same types can also get recruited into ISIS: lost, shallow, adolescent in their psychosis, meeting to plan their drug-fuelled takeover; an adult father figure exploiting them.
Young males gathering to compensate for impotence, with materialistic icons, symbols of their underdeveloped manhood, chemical aids - men-children.

Narcissist's ambition: to make others see you as you see yourself, and how you see yourself is always inflated, buff.
Capitalism's idea(l).

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Dr.Rorschach

Dr.Rorschach

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Satyr wrote:

Narcissism meets materialism.
Jihadi-like secret cells of disillusioned males planning ways to stand out within the uniformity presenting itself as Nihilistic multiplicity.

The male beta/omega dream of being appreciated (highly) constructing plans of utter hypermasculine detachment from reality, and teenage incompetence.
Appearance with little substance - tokens of their worth substituting for their lost past/nature.  
Same types can also get recruited into ISIS: lost, shallow, adolescent in their psychosis, meeting to plan their drug-fuelled takeover; an adult father figure exploiting them.
Young males gathering to compensate for impotence, with materialistic icons, symbols of their underdeveloped manhood, chemical aids - men-children.

this is the exact same case i see here with the drug cartels
is just the shallowest of youngster that get pulled into that by promises of shiny objects
Back to top Go down
Dr.Rorschach

Dr.Rorschach

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 pm

I cannot lie, I've liked Dragon Ball Super a lot, I was really surprised that they managed to keep it fresh and expand the universe.

Frieza is a great villain
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 6:13 pm

Hrodeberto wrote:
Lyssa wrote:
perpetualburn wrote:
"Mulholland Drive" is a must see for anyone here.

Enemy [2013]

Lost Highway (1997)

Blue Velvet (1986)

Borgman received very very high ratings and had a very suspenseful air to it,, unfort. to the last. Although it had a Lynch style, turned out to be one of those empty films with no answers… just "impressions". It hints at Adam, Eve, the devil and the expulsion/fall from the garden.

The actor in one of his interviews said, the film "may have been" about the Incubus and its the reason I cite it. Sleep paralysis is an interesting subject.

Some say the genre is sort of ilke the acclaimed film Dogtooth, but I haven't seen that.

15 best surrealist movies of the 21st century

Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Regarding DBS, I watched the recent movies with Beerus and Freeza but not Super. My brother watched it and notified me when something actually began happening, aka when the tournament between the universes was announced, that's when I began watching. I must say I quite like how the tournament was done so far, and I'm glad that Vegeta finally got his place in the spotlight too. They also did a great job at shrouding Hit and Monaka in mystery so that it's impossible to evaluate what fighting technique they use, and how powerful they are (aside from obviously being VERY powerful), although there are some who theorize that Monaka is actually weak, but I think that's nonsense. One thing that bothered me so far is that Goku or Vegeta alone, if they fought full power from start, could casually wipe out 4/5 fighters of the opposing team single-handedly, and I think fighters should have been a little more equal in power.

EDIT: Impossible, not possible...

Last edited by AutSider on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Outsider wrote:
Regarding DBS, I watched the recent movies with Beerus and Freeza but not Super. My brother watched it and notified me when something actually began happening......I must say I quite like how the tournament was done so far, and I'm glad that Vegeta finally got his place in the spotlight too

Well yeah, DBS started in episode 27 (if I remember right), the first episodes were basically the two movies in greater detail, so they can be skipped if the movies have been seen. I hated dragon ball GT because Vegeta became "humble" and "grew old and weak" and admitted being weaker than everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Risen. Fiennes is good as usual, but the film as expected, pure propaganda, and the inroads Xt. made, in the Rome vs. Judea chapter. A short corny film.

Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Not seen it; is it the usual rehashing of the same suspects…?

Back to top Go down
perpetualburn

perpetualburn

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 3:40 pm

^It's available on piratebay now (an HD rip)... Gonna watch it later...But I suspect it'll be just like "American History X"...a high production value, virtue signaling, left wing wet dream...

"Daniel Radcliffe Kept Apologizing To His Co-Stars On The Set Of Imperium" ... Give me a break...

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1546590/why-daniel-radcliffe-kept-apologizing-to-his-co-stars-on-the-set-of-imperium

Back to top Go down
Slaughtz

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Just reading that article and seeing that trailer thumbnail, I can guess precisely why this film was made and what purpose it serves.

It is not just "another film" in regards to modern memory - it is an assertion that white supremacist movements are terrorist movements and anything associated with racism is also a form of terrorism. This is going to be used to justify saying that any white nationalist or segregationist sentiments or organization is a form of "domestic terrorism" within the public eye.

That they hijack a word as commanding and masculine as "Imperium" is a way to rob such words of any semblance of power or respect. It's to reduce a word representing austere governance to one representing 'weakness' because those white people 'fear the colored ones'.

From my own experience, the best example of that word is from a series called War Hammer 40K. A series of books about a space-faring human empire with mostly European depictions of ancestry:
Back to top Go down
Lyssa
Har Har Harr
Lyssa

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Plus they pick a former wizard who fights evil forces,, and it subliminally sets up a continuity in the demonization…
the personna from potter to this…

On the other hand, kkk are not what defines white to me, and terrorism and Xt. fundamentalism go together. Hooking whites with kkk, is a good way to undermine white identity.

In above context, true colour of liberalism is discovered only when the majority are hurt,,, it has to wait till it blows in their faces to then pronounce it a farce; its called being 'honest'…

'now that we can finally see,...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Modern Popular Culture Reviews and Latest Film News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next